Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
FWIW I get my news from The Guardian, Vox and the Washington Post.

And this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

gradenko_2000 posted:

FWIW I get my news from The Guardian, Vox and the Washington Post.

And this thread.

Thank you! I'll make sure to add those to my daily reading. I always figured Drudge linked to the important articles but I didn't know it leaned right.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Stop getting literally all of your news from Politico and loving Drudge Report.

No need to be a dick. I explicitly asked for suggestions and was already looking to expand my reading so thanks for pointing out something I already loving knew?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

PhazonLink posted:

The GOP's only choice for 2020 is a senator from CO that can break beltway pansies with his bare hands.

At least he'll be smart enough not to write his own speeches!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Thank you! I'll make sure to add those to my daily reading. I always figured Drudge linked to the important articles but I didn't know it leaned right.

:psyduck: You didn't know Drudge leaned right?!?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

lol no Drudge doesn't just link the important articles. It's run by a far-right nutjob who hates the Clintons for a living. Here's a quote from the wiki page for Matt Drudge: "Drudge met Andrew Breitbart in Los Angeles during the 1990s and became his mentor, with Breitbart later helping to run the Drudge Report."

And since you might not be aware, breitbart.com is also right wing.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Matt Drudge made his reputation by breaking the Monica Lewinsky story and has been trying unsuccessfully to repeat that ever since.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Lol if you get your news from anywhere other than Borowitz Report.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Litany Unheard posted:

lol no Drudge doesn't just link the important articles. It's run by a far-right nutjob who hates the Clintons for a living. Here's a quote from the wiki page for Matt Drudge: "Drudge met Andrew Breitbart in Los Angeles during the 1990s and became his mentor, with Breitbart later helping to run the Drudge Report."

And since you might not be aware, breitbart.com is also right wing.

I knew Breitbart was a far-right crazy but I didn't know Drudge mentored him.

haveblue posted:

Matt Drudge made his reputation by breaking the Monica Lewinsky story and has been trying unsuccessfully to repeat that ever since.

I also knew about his rise to fame being the Lewinsky scandal but that's legitimate news. I didn't know he hated the Clintons.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Arrgytehpirate posted:

how is this possible

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Kilroy posted:

how is this possible

Arrgytehpirate is actually David Brooks here to teach us all a little about humility.

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Just claim you read the Drudge Report for the man candy.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I always figured Drudge linked to the important articles but I didn't know it leaned right.

:psyduck: The Drudge Report is one of the heaviest right-wing crazy sites I could name.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
I can appreciate the surprise that some readers in this thread are having to someone not realizing that Drudge leans right, but I would ask that in the future a little more patience as shown. Despite the fact that the regulars in this forum are well aware of exactly who drudge is and where his biases lie, a great deal of people who are not really familiar with politics are simply not as experienced with the biases of various media outlets.

One of the curious effects that Trump is having on this election as he is terrifying the living crap out of average Americans and making them sit up and pay attention to politics in a way they really haven't before. As a result people are starting to consciously engage with political news coverage, but they are doing so largely from a position of relative inexperience. I think the poster above was making a genuine good-faith effort to broaden their horizons and is probably a little confused at the reaction he got from this thread.

I would like to cite a personal anecdote that I just had this morning that although entirely anecdotal those kind of illustrate some of the effect that Trump is having on the election. Just down the street from me is one of those classic Mexican Dives that's only open for breakfast and lunch that San Antonio is so famous for. The building is old and painted in the most garishly clashing colors, but the food inside is absolutely amazing. The restaurant staff is as you would expect entirely Latino.

I'm a regular in there and on a first-name basis with pretty much everyone who works there (because their papas ala mejicana breakfast tacos are without peer in the mortal realm), and we chat quite a bit whenever I'm in there. This morning they had Good Morning America on television and the subject of Donald Trump came up. The entire Latino wait staff started discussing Trump and asking me questions about him. (I'm known for followimg politics). Although they were fairly unaccustomed to paying detailed attention to American politics, Trump had them genuinely furious and interested in understanding politics. Or at least, motivated to do whatever it takes to stop Trump.

I've been coming to this restaurant for almost 2 years now and in that entire time the wait staff generally didn't really pay any more attention to politics than the average American. Now however they mutually recognize the threat that Trump poses and are making an effort to become more politically aware.

Likewise I feel that as the general election progresses we are going to see quite a few Goons start coming into this forum, and specifically this thread, and asking questions about politics. I think the best approach is to accept that they are walking into this with a combination of genuinely open minds and inexperience in filtering out the various propaganda outfits that dominate American media. If you've been following this thread regularly for years you can probably rattle off a list of a couple dozen media commentators and exactly where they stand on a given issue, but for the average American they just have not felt a reason to engage with politics on that level. Trump however is radically changing that.

One of the quirks of a generation that grew up on video games where you're constantly fighting manipulative and evil dictators is that when the real thing starts to appear people can recognize it much more readily.

TLDR: Go easy on the political newbies. Explain to them what proper scouting is instead of cannon rushing them every single match.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jun 30, 2016

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Arrgytehpirate posted:

What are some good news sources for political news? I'm looking to start reading deeper on stuff.

Currently I check politico and drudge report for most of my news.

The Guardian, New York Times, The Post, and Vox (even though they are infuriatingly oblivious at times) are good sources. Long form has to be Mother Jones, Atlantic, New Yorker, Rolling Stones, Jacobin, Intercept, and National Review (for laughs and what the "thinkers" of conservatism are saying). Browsing for giggles is Politico, Gawker, and Breitbart. You could narrow this down to certain writers like Coates and Tabbi.

TV is The C-Spans, Samantha Bee, John Oliver, Maddow, Kornacki, Face the Nation, Meet the Press Sunday, and with all due respect.

Podcasts would be Amicus, About Race, Benjamin Dixon, Chapo Trap House, Political Gabfest, Point vs Point, Trumpcast, keeping it 1600, and No Knows Anything. And Alex jones for some laughs.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Mr Hootington posted:

The Guardian, New York Times, The Post, and Vox (even though they are infuriatingly oblivious at times) are good sources. Long form has to be Mother Jones, Atlantic, New Yorker, Rolling Stones, Jacobin, Intercept, and National Review (for laughs and what the "thinkers" of conservatism are saying). Browsing for giggles is Politico, Gawker, and Breitbart. You could narrow this down to certain writers like Coates and Tabbi.

TV is The C-Spans, Samantha Bee, John Oliver, Maddow, Kornacki, Face the Nation, Meet the Press Sunday, and with all due respect.

Podcasts would be Amicus, About Race, Benjamin Dixon, Chapo Trap House, Political Gabfest, Point vs Point, Trumpcast, keeping it 1600, and No Knows Anything. And Alex jones for some laughs.

*Bush sotto* You forgot The New Republic.

Also don't tell people to read Jacobin. Also the Intercept is mostly trash.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Also don't tell people to read Jacobin.

How else will you get your fill of ex-LF posters calling their parents liberal-interventionist in a Marxist review of Age of Empires II?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Prester Jane posted:

TLDR: Go easy on the political newbies. Explain to them what proper scouting is instead of cannon rushing them every single match.

I get the point that you're driving at, but I honestly have to question the mental ability of someone who looks at Drudge Report for more than one day and can't tell it's a right wing news site.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Read YCS or my Twitter account.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

*Bush sotto* You forgot The New Republic.

Also don't tell people to read Jacobin. Also the Intercept is mostly trash.

Yeah i forgot a few that I have bookmarked at home.

Jacobin is good for very leftist economic pieces and I like the intercept for reporting on government infringements on citizen rights.

Anything else that I missed?

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

comes along bort posted:

Lol if you get your news from anywhere other than Borowitz Report.
Stone Zone or bust, baby.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

Yeah i forgot a few that I have bookmarked at home.

Jacobin is good for very leftist economic pieces and I like the intercept for reporting on government infringements on citizen rights.

Anything else that I missed?

MTV News' politics section is excellent, I also follow some people from Bloomberg.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I also have the BBC for general news, and 538 for analysis kind of reporting.

I do also have Daily Dot, and Vice if you wanna read about cool poo poo.

And for LGBT news I have the Advocate and THe New Civil Rights Movement.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Vice News? I know Al-Jazeera America already shut down, but then I think it was their international desk that was good to begin with.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Arrgytehpirate posted:

No need to be a dick. I explicitly asked for suggestions and was already looking to expand my reading so thanks for pointing out something I already loving knew?

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/
http://www.economist.com/
https://www.theguardian.com/us
http://www.motherjones.com/
http://www.vox.com/

Huzanko fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jun 30, 2016

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
The Blaze is pretty good.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

DemeaninDemon posted:

:stare:

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

DemeaninDemon posted:

lol Glen Beck's site?

not sure if serious

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/AriMelber/status/748508415379537920

:yum:

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I get all my news from David French's twitter

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DemeaninDemon posted:

Noam Chomsky posted:

lol Glen Beck's site?

not sure if serious

I'm going to pull a Drudge Report on this one as far as The Blaze occasionally gets some news worth reading and so even if in the back of my mind I know its Glenn Beck's I'm just not sure if it's necessarily right-wing.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm going to pull a Drudge Report on this one as far as The Blaze occasionally gets some news worth reading and so even if in the back of my mind I know its Glenn Beck's I'm just not sure if it's necessarily right-wing.

The Blaze is absolutely a right-wing idiot sphere that anything of value they might report, is almost certainly being done elsewhere.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Fark's not bad for news, either.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
The Blaze is good at telling you who to delete off Facebook.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Get yer news off twitter, kiddos.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

gradenko_2000 posted:

Nope. Not right-wing at all.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

DemeaninDemon posted:

The Blaze is good at telling you who to delete off Facebook.

This is 100% accurate

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

I exclusively follow the Opinion section of Fox News and just believe the exact opposite of whatever is said there.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Geostomp posted:

You can see this in the sheer anger they expressed that their loyal rubes jumped ship to the shining orange Trump boat when he promised the same things they had for decades, but louder and angrier. The real reason they can't combat him is that doing so would require them to have anything else to offer beyond their unearned sense of legitimacy and they simply don't have that. Trump's narcissistic incompetence while attracting all the worst of the country gives me hope that the GOP really will start to collapse on itself when he fails so their death grip on policy will wane.

Well, the problem is that their traditional social platforms are currently non-starters. The only the Republicans can promise accurately is that they'll be a significant anchor on the Democrat's aims. We're not going to make abortion illegal or make gay marriage illegal or throw out all the foreigners, all the Rs can do, at best, is keep us exactly where we are.

Trump's calling them out on the fact that they haven't actually accomplished any of their goals, and he's right - the issue is that he's not any more capable of doing those things than they were. Less, even.

If Trump ever did become president, it would be interesting to watch the righteous anger of his voters as he didn't change a drat thing on their social agenda. (please please don't let him win, though)

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
My future mother-in-law claims to watch CNN to "get the other side's viewpoint."

She's also an idiot total fox news drone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Noam Chomsky posted:

Nope. Not right-wing at all.

The Blaze is a right-wing site, but I do not understand how your screenshot proves your point.

The "blasts Obama" headline, maybe? Very little of what's shown in your shot is right-wing-centric.

• Locked thread