Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
DX12 gave me another 25 FPS in the benchmark. I'll take it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

hemale in pain posted:

If they put a tiny amount of effort in to it you can avoid most of the really bad cheese but they don't.

Most of the pure cheese strats are basically really easy to beat if you can guess it's coming or if you take it into account when building your army. If they got rid of it, where would I get my free wins crushing cheese on ladder?

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

quote:

New random, global campaign events that generate greater carnage in battle

I wonder what this could be

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Mukip posted:

DX12 gave me another 25 FPS in the benchmark. I'll take it!

What card, what cpu and what framerate before?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Triskelli posted:

Part of the advantage of Blood Knights compared to Black Knights is that they didn't crumble (because they're vampires, and not reanimated by the wizard leading the army). Having a unit that actually retreats would be amazing compared to your Terrorgheist spontaneously combusting as soon as it's surrounded.

Which edition was this? Every edition I've played had vampires crumbling rather than taking leadership tests. They're still undead after all.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

xthetenth posted:

What card, what cpu and what framerate before?

R9 290 and Xeon E3 1230. Previously it was 45, then went up to over 70 on ultra settings.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Mukip posted:

R9 290 and Xeon E3 1230. Previously it was 45, then went up to over 70.

Oh sweet, that's real similar to what I have, and much more than 40 or so wasn't really worth chasing because it seemed CPU limited.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Korgan posted:

I wonder what this could be

It'd be pretty funny if you'd just had a bunch of Khornate demons randomly drop into battles every now and then :v:

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009
The chaos dragon seems alot better now. It got I think +30 or 25 armor over what it used to have and now does the breath attack animation way more often so your two headed buddy is constantly puking pink fire on everything.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Bloodknights are a hell of a lot stronger than Reiksguard, though?

Reiksguard have +10 armor, +5 LD, and +4 wpn damage, vs the BloodKnights with:

+9 Speed, +12 Charge, +2 Melee Attack, +10 Melee Defense, Frenzy, +24 vs Large, and a passive ability that gives them +22% missile resist when not in combat. Blood Knights are easily the strongest not-catbird Cavalry in the game.

Keep in mind that massive bonus vs large applies to other Cav as well, you can use Bloodknights to butcher opposing cav and then harass with impunity.

In other news, I've been looking at the balancing adjustments and most of them are extremely minor. Most non-mounted units got +2 melee defense. Goblin Archers didn't actually lose damage that I can see, the only change to Spider Riders was bringing them in line with goblin bows, and the Flame Cannon got +10 range (sigh) along with a hefty damage buff.

Didn't notice any real change to Lord passive skills, but Foe-Seeker and Deadly Onslaught got changed quite a bit, much longer durations/cooldowns and Onslaught doesn't buff vigor anymore. I imagine most other active combat skills had similar changes.

Gelt still sucks rear end far as I can tell, gonna check if they nerfed Final Transmutation and report back.

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009
You can also heal Blood knights in battle and the vampire healing spell feels like it heals a fuckload more now.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.

Yukitsu posted:

Most of the pure cheese strats are basically really easy to beat if you can guess it's coming or if you take it into account when building your army. If they got rid of it, where would I get my free wins crushing cheese on ladder?

I've never gone into multiplayer so I don't know these "cheese strats" since nobody ever elaborates on it. What sort of cheese should I come to expect?

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

NT Plus posted:

I've never gone into multiplayer so I don't know these "cheese strats" since nobody ever elaborates on it. What sort of cheese should I come to expect?

Demigryph spam (easy to counter, nerfed so it'll be replaced), vampire deathstar (wraiths, necromancer, buffed will be even more around), crypt horror spam (nerfed, probably dead) general sniping (all factions, been in total war since all of them). I think some people were complaining about some orc comps with all giants but I've never seen it and assume it only works against vampires.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

NT Plus posted:

Literally everything I do. Beaten to the real definition.

Basically don't panic and it should be a free win. Also never quite really, someone posted 3 battles a couple days ago and good opponent just quit, despite our goon being fairly certain of defeat. Don't quite if you have units.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Ah ha ha ha ha, they actually nerfed Gelt. Final Transmutation overcast version now does about 1000 damage, used to do 1600. This was a spell that used 24 power and a miscast chance to use, mind you.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Actually I'll just quote this dude from the official forums for undocumented patch changes:

quote:

Ok decided to start with special ability phases, (note stat changes, cooldowns, and a few other things are held elsewhere i'll get to them next):

1. New banner added, since special ability phases dosen;t contain most of the data for this stuff i'll look up what it does shortly.

2. Arcane conduit now last 31 seconds instead of 15.

3. Deadly Onslaught now lasts 29 seconds instead of 10 but does not affect fatigue, again some other changes are listed elsewhere i'll come back to them.

4. Foe Seeker now has a 19 second duration instead of 12.

5. Red Fury now has a 20 second duration instead of a 19 second duration.

6. Stand or Die has a 14 second duration instead of an 11 second duration.

7. Undeath Resurgent has a 14 second duration instead of an 11 second duration.

8. Waaaagh has a 24 second duration instead of a 10 second duration.

9. Accusation deals 140 instead of 190 damage per tick and has only an 80% chance of causing damage per tick instead of a 90% chance. Tick rate remains unchanged at once per 2 seconds.

10. Immortal Will heals 24 damage every 0.3 seconds instead of 12 damage every 0.5 seconds.

11. Slippery now has a 25 second duration instead of a 19 second duration

12. Forbidden Rod Ability now affects 18 targets per tick instead of 35, inflicts 6 damage per tick instead of 5, and has a 0.8 chance per tick of applying instead of 0.9.

13. Potion of healing now heals 48 health every 0.4 seconds instead of 24 every 1 seconds.

14. Potion of speed now lasts 33 seconds instead of 40 seconds but reduces fatigue loss by 18%

15. Potion of Toughness now heals 48 health every 0.4 seconds instead of 24 every 1 seconds.

16. Item ability Regenerating Flesh, (this is seperate and different to the regen ability of trolls e.t.c.), now heals 24 damage every 0.4 seconds instead of 12 every 0.5 seconds.

17. Silver Horn of Vengeance now lasts 40 seconds instead of 31.

18. Seed of Rebirth now heals 2 health every 0.5 seconds instead of 3 every 1 second.

19. The Hunger now heals 2 health every 0.5 seconds instead of 3 every 1 second.

20. The Lady's Champion now heals 2 health every 0.5 seconds instead of 3 every 1 second.

21. The Curse of Undeath now heals 2 damage every 0.5 seconds instead of 1 every 0.25 seconds. (lol whut, no change in effect!)

22. Rune of Wrath and Ruin inflicts 6 damage per tick instead of 5 but affects 18 targets instead of 35. (approx a 2/3 nerf)

23. Book or Arkhan has a duration of 20 seconds instead of 16 seconds.

24. Spirit leech now ticks for damage every 2.5 seconds instead of every 2 seconds. (Same 190 damage a tick, 0.9 apply chance).

25. Fate of Bunju ticks for 6 damage per tick instead of 5, has a 0.8 chance of apply instead of 0.9, and effects 9 targets instead of 18, (approx -45% damage output).

26. Birionas's Timewarp now lasts for 38 seconds instead of 30.

27. Net of Amyntok now lasts for 18 seconds instead of 10 at standard cast, and 36 instead of 20 on overcast.

28. Gork'll Fix It now lasts 30 seconds instead of 36 but provides reduces fatigue drain by 18%.

29. Final Transmutation deals 72 damage per tick instead of 95, and has a 0.8 apply chance instead of 0.9, (seriously lol whut the spell was underpowered for cost to begin with).

30. Curse of Years lasts 26 seconds instead of 22.

31. Invocation of Nehek heals 24 health every 0.4 seconds instead of 12 every 0.5.

32. Vanhels Danse Macabre lasts 20 seconds instead of 16.

33. Black Nimbus global Recharge increased to 111 from 93.

34. Black Scythe global recharge increased from 91 to 132, duration increased from 31 to 42.

35. Unholy Vigour Global Recharge changed from 89 to 130.

36. Blooood ability global recharge changed from 75 to zero, duration decreased from 40 to 14, now reduces fatigue loss by 18%

37. Ability Boom global recharge reduced from 75 to 0.

38. Undead rout damage to self increased from 48 to 72, (this is the one you get when the little white flag appears, not the normal slow crumble).

39. Tormentor sword ability duration decreased from 17 seconds to 11.

40. Chaos Tomb blade now heals 2 damage every 0.5 seconds instead of 3 every 1 second.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
So basically overall nerf to direct damage, buff to army buff abilities. Light and Vampire schools look substantially stronger, and Death is now substantially weaker. Metal still sucks.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jun 30, 2016

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011
Obviously results may vary due to terrain, bad charges etc, but pitting the Blood Knights against high tier monsters/cavalry, the knights are definitely up there, even managing to eke out a win against demigryphs with halberds. Their only loss was against the big spider, with only aforementioned Halberdgryphs looking pretty close.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Doubled the effect of the vampire healing spell uh oh

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009
Cairn Wraiths + heal are crazy now. Oh you got me to 50% health? Poof back up to full in one cast.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

ChickenWing posted:

Don't higher tier growth buildings also increase replenishment? I'd consider keeping them in border regions so your armies get back up to fighting strength quicker.

It is, though I think only tops out at like 5%. Personally it's not significant enough to keep for just the recovery bonus vs simply getting more money every turn.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Fangz posted:

So basically overall nerf to direct damage, buff to army buff abilities. Light and Vampire schools look substantially stronger, and Death is now substantially weaker. Metal still sucks.

The weirdest thing is that Spirit Leech is probably the least nerfed direct damage spell despite being the most effective, it ate about a -20% damage effect while a bunch of already overpriced spells took a -30-40% damage cut.)

Also, School of Vampire is probably the new best Lore in the Game with buffed healing, a really strong projectile, the best vortex in the game (Wind of Death) and some decent utility spells. So Vampire Supremacy pretty much continues unabated.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Well, Kemmler start doesn't suck as much any more. :agesilaus:

This is probably necessary to balance Lore of Death and Lore of Vampires relative to each other (and by extension, vampire lords and necromancer lords). I guess we'll have to wait for future patches to make vortex/bombardment spells more significant, which would resolve Metal's issues/hard counter death stars.

Edit: I think the 80% duration buff to Net of Amyntok is gonna be huge.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jun 30, 2016

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009
Troll damage was slightly decreased instead of increased hahahaha!

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Honestly, I don't even know what it would take to make metal good at this point. They already nerfed the previously kinda good but massively overpriced capstone spell Final Transmutation. From there it's just sorta ok buffs/debuffs and the two shittiest bombardment/vortex spells in the game. Literally 3 out of 6 spells are the shittiest Direct Damage/Bomb/Vortex spells that exist and the other 3 aren't nearly good enough to make up for that.

Even if they bump up the usefulness of those spell types generally I can't see any scenario where Metal isn't still the worst magic school in the game.

madmac fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jun 30, 2016

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

madmac posted:

Honestly, I don't even know what it would take to make metal good at this point. They already nerfed the previously kinda good but massively overpriced capstone spell Final Transmutation. From there it's just sorta ok buffs/debuffs and the two shittiest bombardment/vortex spells in the game. Even if they bump up the usefulness of those spell types generally I can't see any scenario where Metal isn't still the worst magic school in the game.

Well, I can imagine some major increases to searing rain's damage. That would make a difference.

I'm pretty happy to see Direct Damage being nerfed overall. Even with Final Transmutation, I think 'wait X levels, then you get to pretend to be a Death wizard' is a lousy workaround to a deeper problem. Direct damage should balance being unavoidable, by being less cost-effective/damaging than other magics.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jun 30, 2016

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Molay's take on Metal is pretty decent. Tearing 80 points of armor off a lord or unit is just such an awesome 'gently caress you' spell.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
Ideally, Metal's damage spells would fit the Armor Piercing role. Lower damage base, but entirely AP. While you would use other lores to tear apart chaff or artillery crews, Metal is best used targeting elite high armor units. This is the role they have on the tabletop, ignoring armor saves and being more effective against high armor values

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Is there a mod yet that attempts to make spells roughly equivalent to each other, without overall buffing their effectiveness? (i.e. not Molay's)

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Fangz posted:

Is there a mod yet that attempts to make spells roughly equivalent to each other, without overall buffing their effectiveness? (i.e. not Molay's)

What do you mean by that? As in without boosting the overall strength of spells (so make all spells roughly as strong as the current strongest spell)? Or reducing strong spells and buff weak spells to some current average? Because there's no way to make all spells equal to each other and effective without buffing some of them

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Fangz posted:

Well, I can imagine some major increases to searing rain's damage. That would make a difference.

I'm pretty happy to see Direct Damage being nerfed overall. Even with Final Transmutation, I think 'wait X levels, then you get to pretend to be a Death wizard' is a lousy workaround to a deeper problem. Direct damage should balance being unavoidable, by being less cost-effective/damaging than other magics.

I do agree with nerfing Direct Damage overall, but the thing with Final Transmutation is that it was literally not worth casting unless you overcast it, and that was 24 mana for one use. That was before, at the height of it's previous glory of being a spell someone might conceivably use once per battle and supposedly the most powerful spell Lore of Metal had to offer, and it does 40% less damage now. It wasn't even good, and now it's total poo poo. It was also different from the death spells in that it did (potentially) a lot of spread out damage instead of wrecking single units, so it was never really a problem.

While Searing Doom does need to be buffed, I'd much rather have expensive/powerful/swag spells be more effective instead of putting all the emphasis on the spirit leeches and fireballs in the game, which is what we've got right now, most of the best spells are the first spell you get, because they're actually cost effective.

quote:

Ideally, Metal's damage spells would fit the Armor Piercing role. Lower damage base, but entirely AP. While you would use other lores to tear apart chaff or artillery crews, Metal is best used targeting elite high armor units. This is the role they have on the tabletop, ignoring armor saves and being more effective against high armor values

This is definitely a missing thing. Searing Doom for example does 13 damage/7AP damage per missile. It's effectively a rain of crossbow bolts but worse, because the angle of attack guarantees that almost all of them will miss, and the odds of any single model taking more than one missile is extremely low, so in effect the spell really does do nothing at all. It's strictly inferior to a single volley from pretty much any ranged unit in the game.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

madmac posted:

While Searing Doom does need to be buffed, I'd much rather have expensive/powerful/swag spells be more effective instead of putting all the emphasis on the spirit leeches and fireballs in the game, which is what we've got right now, most of the best spells are the first spell you get, because they're actually cost effective.

Yeah, this is what I'm abusing on Archaon in my chaos campaign. Dude throws fireballs like Super Mario :shobon:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Kaza42 posted:

What do you mean by that? As in without boosting the overall strength of spells (so make all spells roughly as strong as the current strongest spell)? Or reducing strong spells and buff weak spells to some current average? Because there's no way to make all spells equal to each other and effective without buffing some of them

I guess I just mean 'pick some mid point of an average spell, and balance everything to be roughly equivalent in usefulness to that'. I'd probably point to hmm, maybe Doom and Darkness for this, as a spell that is worth using but not overpowered.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Kaza42 posted:

Molay does this with Searing doom and its great watching chaos knights charge into some swordsman and get melted by magic. Or really just for the Arachnarock in the quest battle.

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Yeah, this is what I'm abusing on Archaon in my chaos campaign. Dude throws fireballs like Super Mario :shobon:

I hope you get the fireball ring for double the fun.

Ballbot5000
Dec 13, 2008

Fabricati diem, pvnc.

quote:

Mork is now considerably Morkier.

It's about drat time. :orks:

Anyone know what this actually means?

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Jihad Joe posted:

Anyone know what this actually means?

Increased both the Cunning and Fightyness stats of Greenskins across the board, except for the Gork aligned units.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
I checked and they actually applied the buff to the Gork units. ugh.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

jfood posted:

Increased both the Cunning and Fightyness stats of Greenskins across the board, except for the Gork aligned units.

They instead get an increase to their fightyness and cunning stats.

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009
So they buffed the speed of chaos warhounds by 1. Which doesn't actually make them able to catch marauder horses since you still end up chasing them all the way to the map's edges before you catch them so they are basically still in the exact same place they were before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Rygar201 posted:

Which edition was this? Every edition I've played had vampires crumbling rather than taking leadership tests. They're still undead after all.

Eighth Edition, which TW:WH is based on. There's a special rule called Vampiric that keeps them from crumbling when the general dies. I guess leadership tests still caused a drop in health.

• Locked thread