Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Thor-Stryker posted:

So yeah, same MMR system as Quickplay, the bell-curve will keep the majority of non six-man teams in the 45-55 bracket with almost no hopes of escaping it based on personal skill.

For 75% of your player base, competitive mode is just longer matches in return for a gold weapon at the end of season.

I'm like 30 matches in, either solo or 2-man, and this seems to be the case. And if individual skill somehow DOES affect how fast you're going rank up, it's useless because: a) They don't tell how it affects you. b) One or two really lovely teammates or games will just tank your score by several wins.

Super, super frustrating especially since I tend to be the oblicatory pug support/healer, and I get the watch the fun that is Genji and Hanzo arguing over which one was more useless. On the KotH map where neither touched the point. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Why are people complaining about ranks not being accurate it's been out for like 2 days and most people have less than 30 competitive games of course it's inaccurate.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
For the past few weeks I've been getting destroyed; it wasn't even a confirmation bias thing, my matches either end with my team winning by the skin of our teeth or getting utterly curbstomped.
I went from like 57% win rate to 53, went 7 loses 3 wins in competitive (got ranked 43) and looks like my MMR tanked like a motherfucker, today I ran a few quick play matches and the highest level player in the whole match was a 30 (I'm 103). I don't know if everyone suddenly decided to git gud, or if I'm developing muscle atrophy and just haven't realised it yet. :negative:

On the bright side, there's something endearing about playing Mercy for a team of utter newbies and drag them kicking and screaming to victory against their best efforts (getting 3 gold medals in the process including objective kills and silver on eliminations), but man I'm super salty about the whole deal.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

GreyPowerVan posted:

Why are people complaining about ranks not being accurate it's been out for like 2 days and most people have less than 30 competitive games of course it's inaccurate.

People complain about their rank being inaccurate in games that have been out for years. Better get used to it.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I think people are complaining about a lack of transparency. At least that's what I'm frustrated about. I'm fine with being a garbage player, I just want to know what exactly is giving me my garbage ranking.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Right and those people are idiots. But complaining about inaccurate ranks right now is like stating that water is wet.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

GreyPowerVan posted:

No don't you see, the system keeps ranking me only a few points above average, in a rating system where even the proest of the pros are only twenty-ish points above the average. Clearly this is just me getting dragged down by my team because the game fails to recognize my awesome personal skills contribution. I mean sure I still lost all those games but look at how many times I played Reaper and got gold for eliminations!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Thor-Stryker posted:

So yeah, same MMR system as Quickplay, the bell-curve will keep the majority of non six-man teams in the 45-55 bracket with almost no hopes of escaping it based on personal skill.

or, and I know this is a stretch so bear with me here, most people are of average skill and belong in the average skill bracket and improving personal skill is exactly what would allow them to "escape"

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

keep in mind that the KOTH bug might also be affecting your placement ranking as well

i've already kinda written off this first season as the trial run. i'll play and try and get as many purple points as i can for my gold weapon but i don't think i'm gonna be worried about my rank all that much.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Is there a "max" rank?

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Broken Cog posted:

Is there a "max" rank?

Blizzard intends for the system to be a 0 to 100 ranking system, but I doubt we'll see that real quick.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Broken Cog posted:

Is there a "max" rank?

Not so much a max-rank, but how far of an outlier you can become from the average.

Tarandis
Jun 16, 2012
7-3 in placement matches, ended up rank 50.

The third loss (game four) was really close, so one of the guys on my team invited everyone else to a premade, threw us back into the queue, and we stomped through the next three matches. Then for the remaining games I had mostly good teammates who had a mic and were willing to switch around characters and give each other advice.

Leavers - one team lost one person and beat us anyway (they had a scary good Widowmaker that was carrying super hard), one team must have had one or two leavers because they all left after the first round. I lucked out and had no leaving or raging on my side.

The last match went to the coin toss overtime, we got picked as assault, and we got super hyped and won anyway with a push that basically had all six people yelling excitedly into their mics. That was super cool.

I am entirely comfortable with the idea of "statistics" and being judged purely by my win/loss ratio, but the KOTH thing sounds real dumb and I'm going to wait til that is fixed to play more.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Just had a game where a guy sat in the spawn room the entire payload push until we got it to the last few meters, but couldn't get it finished 5v6. He never got kicked, yet he never moved at all, even within the spawn room. I assume something must have bugged and maybe he was dropped and the game didn't know and give us the 'leave game' option, but that was a crappy game, even if we almost made it 5v6.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Jeez, competitive is really doing my head in. Quick play, seemed nice and even, probably averaged around 50% win/loss rate. Actually, probably tended towards 60% win rate.

Competitive though, holy gently caress I don't know. Played 20 games at this point, won 4. I've dropped from rank 49 to 43 today. Nearly every game my team just gets utterly stomped.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I don't think it's that unreasonable to know what affects your skill rating, aside from nebulous "playing good".

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Attestant posted:

I don't think it's that unreasonable to know what affects your skill rating, aside from nebulous "playing good".

I half-agree with you, but it's a bit of a bind. In a pure Elo/MMR system, "playing good" is whatever makes you win. Novels can and have been written on the subject of "how do I win," so it's still kind of ambiguous, but at least it all comes back to that.

If you introduce any other variable into the ranking system, then players will play to maximize whatever that is rather than winning. (Or, if they're really clever but less concerned with personal improvement, to minimize whatever that is while still winning.) Telling you how it works would exacerbate that problem.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Shockeh posted:

Number of lost placement games so far: 3.
Number of placement games where we had 4-5 players from 2 minutes in: 3.
Overlap? 100%

Bah!

What do you expect them to do? You can't let it not be a loss, otherwise organized teams will rotate who takes the hit when it is clear that they can't win. They are supposed to have pretty harsh penalties for competitive leaving, and I haven't heard any better proposal than that. You are supposed to be able to leave after a team member is gone for a minute (no leaver penalty but still counts as a loss).

ZentraediElite
Oct 22, 2002

I've won 2 of 8 placement matches so far and 1 was because the other team dropped. Game is hard.

It seems like every match is just a stomp.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Nice. I just lost 75% of rank 55, and dropped in to 54, because a dude dropped or ragequit during sudden death, and half the team followed. Like good 15-20 minutes down the drain too.

Sure feels like my personal skill influenced this outcome!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
If you had been carrying your team then they wouldn't have to had leave in the first place. :colbert:

For real though, I thought they didn't punish a team if they lose a player? Doesn't it give you a minute to quit with no penalty?

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

MacheteZombie posted:

If you had been carrying your team then they wouldn't have to had leave in the first place. :colbert:

For real though, I thought they didn't punish a team if they lose a player? Doesn't it give you a minute to quit with no penalty?

It'll still be a loss on your record. I think you just don't get any possible ragequit punishments they've threatened people with. It says something like "You can quit without a penalty, but it'll be a loss."

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Attestant posted:

It'll still be a loss on your record. I think you just don't get any possible ragequit punishments they've threatened people with. It says something like "You can quit without a penalty, but it'll be a loss."

Gotcha, must have just misread the post about players dropping.

Sucks you get a loss due to quitters.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Also I did carry that dumb team. 20k+ heals and golden objective kills + time. :colbert:

Lucio is the glue in pug groups.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Attestant posted:

Also I did carry that dumb team. 20k+ heals and golden objective kills + time. :colbert:

Lucio is the glue in pug groups.

I lost two games in a row where I healed 35% and 41% of team damage taken. And that doesn't account for the asinine number of Qs I used. Christ, those games were frustrating.

It really doesn't seem like it would be terribly difficult to come up with an algorithm that measures your performance against both your team and the other team and adjusts the experience gain/loss from a win/loss based on that.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
"Guys wtf? Why leave the objective?" says the Hanzo player who stays at range the whole time :geno:

edit:

:wtf: I just BOUGHT this skin last night you fuckers :argh:

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Chin Strap posted:

What do you expect them to do? You can't let it not be a loss, otherwise organized teams will rotate who takes the hit when it is clear that they can't win. They are supposed to have pretty harsh penalties for competitive leaving, and I haven't heard any better proposal than that. You are supposed to be able to leave after a team member is gone for a minute (no leaver penalty but still counts as a loss).

Oh, nothing - The solution they have is probably one of the few that works. Doesn't make it any less annoying when trying to get placement done that your placement might in fact he heavily decided by other raging man children. Them's the breaks, really.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Getting under-ranked means you get a bunch of easy games on your way up to accurate ranking anyways, it's not exactly to your detriment unless you're focusing 100% on trying to improve -- and even then, there's a certain value to being able to tell when you're up against weaker players and go "okay, this is the time to take risks I wouldn't normally take."

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I finished them at Rank 52 anyway, which seems to be pretty decent. I did utterly rice S76 for the whole time though, so I think I'd need to be careful in my character selection to maintain or improve it.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I get quite unhappy when KOTH starts and it's one of those maps where Pharah rockets up and boops you over the side into an environmental death.

That's why this clip finally made me happy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95RFXOwQYzA

I'm reposting it from the other thread because I'm at work and want people to praise me for basically landing a lucky hit.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

I just had a game in Lijiang (quick play) where it didn't record any stats for me on the third match. It just kept my stats from the first two. I kept my medals too so I'm assuming this was happening to everyone. Is this a bug or am I missing something?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Just had a team where 4 of the players were a bad Zenyatta, a bad Hanzo, a bad Widowmaker, and a bad Genji, so I waited until the end of the brief stomp as defenders on Dorado and quit.

I then spent 40 seconds in queue, before being put back on the exact same team of players, who were using the exact same comp as attackers on Dorado. So I played out the stomp, in which our Widow mostly stood in the spawn door, and quit back to queue.

I was then put back on the same team of players, still using the same comp. Again. This time on Volskaya assault.

loving unreal.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Pretty Lady Blob posted:

I just had a game in Lijiang (quick play) where it didn't record any stats for me on the third match. It just kept my stats from the first two. I kept my medals too so I'm assuming this was happening to everyone. Is this a bug or am I missing something?

Yes, KoTH maps are bugged and not giving, or losing, the right amount of anything. They're working to hotfix this ASAP or remove them from the map pool in competitive.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Attestant posted:

Nice. I just lost 75% of rank 55, and dropped in to 54, because a dude dropped or ragequit during sudden death, and half the team followed. Like good 15-20 minutes down the drain too.

Sure feels like my personal skill influenced this outcome!

This competitive mode feels very much like a rough draft. A lovely rough draft.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Papercut posted:

This competitive mode feels very much like a rough draft. A lovely rough draft.

they had a deadline of "release the end of June" that they gave themselves, and by god they made it.

This is why I will never, ever give any poo poo to any developer that meets all questions about schedule with WHEN ITS loving DONE

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Mukaikubo posted:

they had a deadline of "release the end of June" that they gave themselves, and by god they made it.

This is why I will never, ever give any poo poo to any developer that meets all questions about schedule with WHEN ITS loving DONE

the fact that blizzard is basically the original When It's Done™ developer makes this kinda sad

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
Roadhog with the boop: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMtx3Ml1k9k

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
For all the complaints about leavers in comp, didn't Blizz say people who ragequit enough will be banned from the season? So, if you really don't want to run into them just wait a few weeks for the serial ragequitters to have been weeded out. =P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Just give it a few days for all the habitual leavers to get banned from competitive