Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I picked up this game today after eyeballing it for the last three months and it's been really neat! I love to solve these kinds of problems and I love to try and do so elegantly.

My first attempt at total automation of a process came in the form of Research 1. The first version of the process ended up looking like this:

I have a problem with product volume, that I actually had a solution for, but failed to implement correctly. The idea was that when there were 2 products in a process, they would have exclusive lanes on the belt, so if one product backfilled, it'd only backfill on itself and not clog up the process. I did this correctly for Iron Ore. I did it incorrectly for Copper Ore and the raw materials line for Research 1 :(. I didn't bother fixing them here since I want to tear it all down as I have an idea that reduces the physical footprint of the process by reasonable amount while still being expandable to the edge of the map. This problem set is so neat though and I love seeing these kinds of things and then fixing them.

It's been discussed but nobody explicitly stated, don't forget your belts have two sides. Inserters will place items on the far end of the belt, but you're only saturating half of your belt at that point. In the pictures, you're only making use of half of your belts. You can use the other half to transport something else, or improve throughput of a single item. Since you'll always need more of everything, you can most easily saturate a belt by having factories/smelters on both sides of the belt inserting onto it. I admit I'm the worst at planning ahead, but whenever you build an intermediate product, just tell yourself that you're going to need more of that at some point and leave yourself room to expand. Produce more product than you need right now, because eventually it won't be enough.

I'd post my smelting setup as an example but I'm at work, and I just stole it from some youtuber anyway. I'm not very creative so my setups aren't usually very elegant or efficient but they work. (I'll post it when I get home if anyone wants)

Renegret fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jun 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Backer train stops is such a small thing that is so infuriating in practice, renamable or not.

Needs an option like predefining strings with sequential modifiers, and you pick which string when you place it and it sequentially counts up for you. Like does anyone use stop names that aren't "iron/copper/oil mine 1" or "iron/copper/oil home 1"?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Updated two three of my mods to 0.13 so far:
https://mods.factorio.com/mods/GotLag/Flow%20Control
https://mods.factorio.com/mods/GotLag/Electric%20Furnaces
https://mods.factorio.com/mods/GotLag/Honk

Edit: honk honk

GotLag fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jun 29, 2016

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!
Anyone know of an online Factorio blueprint viewer/editor that I can use to make/view designs without having to run the game?
I found a few abandoned projects on the forums, none of them seem to work anymore.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Wait those are GOON mods? jesus christ, i was using all of those those are great af

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Where can I go to find latest mod updates? The forum is confusing as gently caress and only seems to show 0.12 mods, and the mod database website doesn't have the dropdown updated to only show 0.13 mods.

I want LongReach mod mainly! Also, do mods prevent you from unlocking achievements?

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Loopoo posted:

Where can I go to find latest mod updates? The forum is confusing as gently caress and only seems to show 0.12 mods, and the mod database website doesn't have the dropdown updated to only show 0.13 mods.

I want LongReach mod mainly! Also, do mods prevent you from unlocking achievements?

Yes, yes they do.
As for long reach - look for Factorio-reach on mod portal.
It works.
also AFAIK all mods on the NEW mod-portal are supposed to be v13 compatible so there.

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!

Loopoo posted:

It looks like they actually removed the general Mod discussion board where all the popular mods have been posted, in favor of the mod portal.
New mods will probably start showing up in this forum: https://forums.factorio.com/viewforum.php?f=189

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Chunjee posted:

Good post, sharing belts is also good for for products that require 3 or 4 inputs and hopefully have a longer manufacture time. Think of Advanced Circuits or Blue Research.

Something like Solar Panels as an example. They need 15 Electronic Circuits, but only 5 Copper and 5 Steel. It might make sense for your setup share Copper and Steel on a belt, and have a dedicated belt for Electronic Circuits because you'll need a lot more bandwidth. Of course you can dedicate 3 belts, but in your early games addiction, it can be nice to have input on one side of the and output on the other.

If you ever get into mods, belt sharing is great when things need 5 and 6 inputs. (top left corner you can see the belt joining)

For products that need two belts for input, I'm a fan of flanking the assembling machine with the input belts and using a long-armed inserter for output. Basically your second picture but without the leftmost input belt. Pretty much all production is limited by how quickly you can get materials into the assembling machine rather than how quickly you can pull the end product out. That said, your first picture does look neater...

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Did the tech tree get rearranged? Power Distribution I (medium and large power poles) seems a lot more expensive (120Red/120Green vs 50/50 before?) and the tech for Assembler seems way cheaper now (only 80 Red and no green).

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
If so they didn't fix the oil hump, adv oil processing still requires blue.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

quote:

Fixed crash when shift right clicking furnace fuel slots. (27125)

thank god, this got me like four times last night

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

FISHMANPET posted:

Did the tech tree get rearranged? Power Distribution I (medium and large power poles) seems a lot more expensive (120Red/120Green vs 50/50 before?) and the tech for Assembler seems way cheaper now (only 80 Red and no green).

The patch notes mentioned that they "Increased size of several green science and few blue science technologies." Automation (unlocks Assembling Machine 1) has always been 10 red, and Automation 2 (unlocks Assembling Machine 2) has always cost 2x 40 red, I thought? I don't remember exactly, but since you need Assembler 2 to automate green science, they wouldn't make Assembler 2 cost as much green science as you think they did.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

FISHMANPET posted:

I think they have. I was able to blitz through early-game research but have found it much slower going in the latest update because most stuff seems to need more science packs compared to what I'm used to.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
a

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 31, 2022

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Chunjee posted:

Good post, sharing belts is also good for for products that require 3 or 4 inputs and hopefully have a longer manufacture time. Think of Advanced Circuits or Blue Research.

Something like Solar Panels as an example. They need 15 Electronic Circuits, but only 5 Copper and 5 Steel. It might make sense for your setup share Copper and Steel on a belt, and have a dedicated belt for Electronic Circuits because you'll need a lot more bandwidth. Of course you can dedicate 3 belts, but in your early games addiction, it can be nice to have input on one side of the and output on the other.

If you ever get into mods, belt sharing is great when things need 5 and 6 inputs. (top left corner you can see the belt joining)

bobs mod spotted - don't put the resistor things on a belt - go directly from maker->user

if you double stack fast long handled, you can have two full belts of things per side at the cost of extra space

bonus pic

tier-1 circuits made without belting intermediates - only raw mats

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Man I wish there was a way to tell your robots to just replace all tracks (or inserters, etc) with the upgraded versions.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Less Fat Luke posted:

Man I wish there was a way to tell your robots to just replace all tracks (or inserters, etc) with the upgraded versions.

No idea if it's still around, but the Upgrade Planner mod allowed that.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Yeah there was a mod for that and it was fantastic.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Trip report:

I'm playing Lazy Bastard (:gonk:) and halfway through, a buddy shows up. We start a new game, this time with RSO. After we're done, I go back to my Bastard game and play for a few hours.
At some point, I check my achievements: "This is a modded game"... I hadn't turned RSO off.

So I'm going through the five stages of grief over here, and about when I hit Bargaining, I turned RSO off... the "This is a modded game" message went away. So I tried to get some other achievement to see if I was still good to go.
A) I am, I got Pyro on steam-cheevos
B) Forest fires are pretty sweet

Now, this seems to show that you can use mods on your games to get achievements if you turn them off before you earn them. Hmm.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I think the whole "No Achievements if Mods are enabled" is stupid. You should get an option in the menu to turn that function off or on. I use some mods that are harmless, but just make life easier (long-reach) and I wouldn't have an issue earning mods with that on. Other mods that fundamentally change the game and make things much easier, then yeah, I'd want achievements turned off because I'd feel like I hadn't earned them.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
More 0.13 updates!
https://mods.factorio.com/mods/GotLag/Crafted%20Artifacts
https://mods.factorio.com/mods/GotLag/Artifact%20Retexture

Mods that aren't mine but are popular and useful:
https://mods.factorio.com/mods/DaCyclops/GDIW
https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Choumiko/RailTanker
https://mods.factorio.com/mods/DaveMcW/blueprint-string

Edit: uploaded Better Fluid Colors myself because the author's not been on the Factorio forum for almost three months:
https://mods.factorio.com/mods/GotLag/BetterFluidColors

GotLag fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jun 30, 2016

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007
May as well jump in. I've been super duper lazy about modding, but 0.13 has made me stir a bit and update some of my poo poo.

Persistent research, switching research focus doesn't lose progress.
https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Schmendrick/persistent-research

Stamina: hand crafting and mining drain health (and running decreases regeneration). Automate the things!
https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Schmendrick/Stamina

Longer underground belts; fast and express underground belts go further, and cost more (this was done at a streamer's request). Should adapt intelligently to mods.
https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Schmendrick/longer-belts

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Evilreaver posted:

Trip report:

I'm playing Lazy Bastard (:gonk:) and halfway through, a buddy shows up. We start a new game, this time with RSO. After we're done, I go back to my Bastard game and play for a few hours.
At some point, I check my achievements: "This is a modded game"... I hadn't turned RSO off.

So I'm going through the five stages of grief over here, and about when I hit Bargaining, I turned RSO off... the "This is a modded game" message went away. So I tried to get some other achievement to see if I was still good to go.
A) I am, I got Pyro on steam-cheevos
B) Forest fires are pretty sweet

Now, this seems to show that you can use mods on your games to get achievements if you turn them off before you earn them. Hmm.

Yeah I noticed that too but it won't be much of a leg up on a lot of the achievements. The 'no achievements with mods' thing seems to be fairly prevalent (see Paragon games) but I'm not really convinced it's a great idea. It's probably the simplest way for the producer to get a handle on the 'cheating for dick waving' problem though. I mean, people could just swap saves and get them a lot easier but whatever.

I'm doing my Lazy Bastard, no solar and other special games in small chunks. I got the LB to green science for example then went back to playing normally. It keeps the whole thing from becoming a horrible grindy chore. Just have to be careful though, I only have 6 crafts left (if 111/111 still counts as a win? I may stick to 110/111 just to be safe) out of which refineries and the rocket silo still need to come.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts
I remember playing a slightly modded X3 and using Steam Achievement Manager to manually give myself achievements at the appropriate times.

:spergin:

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

My favorite "no achievements with mods" is Cities: skylines, where very quickly after launch a mod was available that enabled achievements with mods.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Mr. Powers posted:

My favorite "no achievements with mods" is Cities: skylines, where very quickly after launch a mod was available that enabled achievements with mods.

For a while that was the only mod I played the game with

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

It feels bad when you get sweet starting location geographically, but there's no coal at all in sight. :(

Edit: Got another good looking map without one resource in starting area, this time iron.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jun 30, 2016

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
One thing is that achievements are used by developers to see how players progress through the game.

If 95% of players have achievements for beating level 1, 90% for 2, 85% for 3 and 35% for 4, then you know that something is wrong with level 4.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

SinineSiil posted:

It feels bad when you get sweet starting location geographically, but there's no coal at all in sight. :(

Edit: Got another good looking map without one resource in starting area, this time iron.

The map generation does seem to have some issues. I got a map with plenty of copper, but hardly any iron (the tiny bit of iron I got was split by a lake). Fortunately, there's enough iron for me to have got something up and running (also, I am really bad at designing production lines once I reach blue science)

Ratzap posted:

Yeah I noticed that too but it won't be much of a leg up on a lot of the achievements. The 'no achievements with mods' thing seems to be fairly prevalent (see Paragon games) but I'm not really convinced it's a great idea. It's probably the simplest way for the producer to get a handle on the 'cheating for dick waving' problem though. I mean, people could just swap saves and get them a lot easier but whatever.

I expect achievements are typically turned off when the game is modded because there is a certain amount of online dick waving to having achievements. Modding and cheats in single player hurts no one, but cheating in multiplayer is usually seen as a dick move. Achievements fall between single player and multiplayer, generally a bit closer to single player, but still, there's just enough of a multiplayer element for developers to want to disable them when mods are in the game.

There's ways around the problem, but if getting achievements is at least seen as legit, it helps.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

thedaian posted:

The map generation does seem to have some issues. I got a map with plenty of copper, but hardly any iron (the tiny bit of iron I got was split by a lake). Fortunately, there's enough iron for me to have got something up and running (also, I am really bad at designing production lines once I reach blue science)

I feel like that's part of the challenge of the game. Obviously if you have zero iron that's one thing, but if it's just a matter of "not enough" that's when you have to figure out how to get iron from a distant location. But yeah the map IMO should always generate at least a tiny amount of each resources in your starting location otherwise there isn't much you can do.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

It does spawn one patch of each resource in the starting area, separate from all the other world generation code. But it's not smart enough to avoid placing a patch in the middle of a lake, or the middle of a larger resource patch, resulting in no actual resource nodes being placed.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

SuicideSnowman posted:

I feel like that's part of the challenge of the game. Obviously if you have zero iron that's one thing, but if it's just a matter of "not enough" that's when you have to figure out how to get iron from a distant location. But yeah the map IMO should always generate at least a tiny amount of each resources in your starting location otherwise there isn't much you can do.

Yeah, I was hoping for slightly less resources in my starting area, since I wanted to play with trains this update (currently I have a really short iron train, but that's it).

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Ratzap posted:

I'm doing my Lazy Bastard, no solar and other special games in small chunks. I got the LB to green science for example then went back to playing normally. It keeps the whole thing from becoming a horrible grindy chore. Just have to be careful though, I only have 6 crafts left (if 111/111 still counts as a win? I may stick to 110/111 just to be safe) out of which refineries and the rocket silo still need to come.

You can build the silo in an assembler.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

SinineSiil posted:

Had the same problem last night. Ended up restarting 4 or 5 times before I got a map with one of each resource nearby. Of course now there's a patch of oil that looks to have at least 30 nodes nearby as well, and it almost feels like cheating.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

There seem to be issues with the new map generation. I've run ridiculously far and found no coal. It's not just you.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ratzap posted:

You only need to hand-make one refinery and that's the last thing you need. With one refinery you can make blue science, and you can use blue science to unlock the Assember 3, which can make anything.

That said, it takes a while to get to the Assember 3, so I guess hand-making more than one refinery isn't out of the question if you know you have the leeway.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Tenebrais posted:

You only need to hand-make one refinery and that's the last thing you need. With one refinery you can make blue science, and you can use blue science to unlock the Assember 3, which can make anything.

That said, it takes a while to get to the Assember 3, so I guess hand-making more than one refinery isn't out of the question if you know you have the leeway.

Ah yes of course, I was just basing it off the blue ones. That gives me a nice amount of headroom then.

I got rather carried away with landfill and removed all the water... that had my pumps in it :doh:

Clearing nests is pretty easy with this version. I'm doing no laser turrets and no logistic net in this save but a line of gun turrets to provide cover fire, poison caps, cluster grenades and the flamethrower make mincemeat of them. Fully upgraded cluster grenades and especially the flamethrower are lovely.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
0.13.2 has been released, because apparently the Factorio devs never sleep: https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27758

0.13.2 Changelog posted:

Changes
  • Damage bonus in turret tooltip will now show both basic turret damage multiplier and turret damage bonus from research. (27486)
  • Limited multiplayer game name length to 60 characters.
  • Moved the copper wire back to the intermidiate category in the recipes.
  • Inserters connected to the circuit network now have the option to only read hand contents.
  • During biter migration, medium worms can now only spawn if the evolution factor is greater than 0.3, and big worms require evolution factor of 0.5.

Bugfixes
  • Fixed occasional crash when downloading map. (27190)
  • Fixed rail signals set to red by circuit network going green in some situations. (27195)
  • Fixed rail signals not going back to green when when deselectiog "Close Signal" option.
  • Fixed that running a command via stdin or RCON would crash the game if commands were allowed for admins-only. (27435)
  • Localized hardcoded strings in power switch GUI. (27483)
  • Fixed enemy turrets would show player's damage bonuses in tooltip.
  • Fixed repair packs (and mergable items in general) under flowing and making millions of items. (27415)
  • Added missing Lua defines for the rocket silo rocket inventory.
  • Fixed train minimap preview schedule box not allowing scrolling. (27299)
  • Fixed game restarting after installing only one mod.
  • Fixed game crashing when viewing info about a mod with space in its name (hopefully) (27126)
  • Fixed checking for mod updates taking very long.
  • Fixed low framerate when pasting long text into console.
  • Fixed filter inserter sometimes taking an extra item after the filter was unset. (27443)
  • Fixed inserter arrows in blueprints. (27544)
  • Fixed that it wasn't possible to require verification of user identity in server-settings.json.
  • Fixed migration of internal circuit network signals. (27277)
  • Fixed some oddities when using the rail planner and quickbar-selecting other items.
  • Fixed desync when building rail signals in close rail setups. (27605)
  • Fixed crash when reviving ghosts built by blueprints in the entity built Lua event handler. (27608)
  • Fixed LuaEntityPrototype::result_units spawn points only ever giving the last spawn point. (27652)
  • Fixed stack filter inserter sometimes showing more than one filter in alt mode.
  • Research button position fix.
  • Changed the technology prerequisite of solar panel from advanced-electronics to electronics. This also fixes the 2nd mission of the new hope campaign.
  • Fixed that the headless server wouldn't be able to save the map if started like --start-server save.zip. (27625)
  • Fixed unminable rails when migrating saves to 0.13. (27202)
  • Fixed that the gate didn't open when it was on the same rail as the locomotive front joint. (27682)
  • Fixed that game name and description in the game browser didn't wrap.
  • Fixed game did not run on Windows XP. (27168)
  • Fixed the ElectricEnergyInterface entity not drawing low power/no power icons.
  • Fixed requester chest filters getting cleared when changing the force of the chest. (27691)
  • Fixed rocks not being ignored when rail planner ghost building. (27522)
  • Fixed that when a transport belt got destroyed and turned into a ghost, it wouldn't drop items on ground. (27650)
  • Fixed occasional random browse game gui crash when moving close to the end of the list.
  • Fixed script error in supply challenge. (27689)
  • Fixed that rail signal visualization helper was not working properly in some specific cases. (27328)
  • Fixed construction robots getting stuck when they return for repair pack to passive/active provider chest. (27526)

Optimisations
  • Optimised rendering of huge pollution clouds on map.

Scripting
  • Added LuaEntityPrototype::spawn_cooldown - the spawn cooldown for enemy spawners.
  • Added LuaEntity::power_production and power_usage read/write for the ElectricEnergyInterface type entity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
Did they update the console commands Lua wiki?

I want to play with always day! :science: