Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
Funniest Swedish Monarchy Home Videos:

Erik XIV pisses off his nobles by marrying a Finnish commoner, and even makes her Queen. It would have been ok to have multiple wives tho, Swedes were totally down with official concubines.

Later nobles confront him over him being a poo poo king, he stabs several of them to death and flees into the woods. While he's still on the lam, his brother, Johan III, doesn't actually want to be king but nobles talk him into accepting the crown because his bro is just that much of an idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Adolf Fredrik the King of Sweden is my 2nd most favourite monarch:

"Adolf Frederick died in Stockholm on 12 February 1771 after having consumed a meal consisting of lobster, caviar, sauerkraut, kippers and champagne, which was topped off with 14 servings of his favourite dessert: semla stuffed with almond paste and served in a bowl of hot cream."

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
I'm thinking of making a PYF Noble thread.

e: here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3781641

Hogge Wild fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jun 30, 2016

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Kemper Boyd posted:

Fun fact: Christina was actually no queen at all, she was crowned as King Christina.

It's Political Correctness GONE MAD!!!!!

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Empress Theonora posted:

I'm so worried about Malcom White. :ohdear:

And that thing with the footballs is completely bonkers, but still seems completely reasonable compared with anything the Italian officers are doing, since it at least recognizes that morale is a.) important and b.) should be improved through means other than summary executions.

For the last few days, every time I've read one of Trin's blog posts I've had this going through my head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFK0yG8xG5I#t=8m

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

I remember hearing that in the American Revolution (and presumably other wars, but I heard this from a speaker at bunker hill so this is the war he was talking about) the British used these nasty triangle bayonets designed to open up a wound that would basically never close, thus making it pretty much a death sentence if you got stuck with one.

I know that people like to watch The Patriot and believe British people are literally moustache-twirling evil Nazis, but this really doesn't seem likely to me. A triangular bayonet is simply stronger and easier to make than a blade, and unlike with eg a sword just as effective because you're using it to stab not slice.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

feedmegin posted:

I know that people like to watch The Patriot and believe British people are literally moustache-twirling evil Nazis, but this really doesn't seem likely to me.

Have you seen the news recently?

Anyway in this post-brexit world, I expect all talk of wars between Catholics and Protestants to cease, whoever heard of such a ludicrous thing, it would be like turning the world upside down. In fact, Milhist thread you have Posted too long for any good you have been doing lately ... Depart, I say; and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!

Anyway I am off to speak to some men in Putney about the proper way to order our new nation.

I am meeting some historical reenactment guys next month about getting me a buff coat and a floppy hat and doing some pike drill.

Thanks Hey Gal!

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Fangz posted:

No, this is wrong. A WWII sword is a personal defence weapon designed primarily to embody some kind of ceremonial tradition, with the benefit of being relatively convenient to carry strapped to one's waist in one's daily life. There's lots of compromises there as well. It should be no surprise that the main battlefield weapon in traditional Japanese warfare is actually the spear.

Bayonets are dedicated battlefield weapons, and are perfectly effective in comparison. As far as I am aware there are no accounts from the time of US soldiers taking note of swords in battle, except as nice souvenirs to send home. So like, if we are asking how Neal's sword fetishism is misleading and yet has infected broader popular culture, there ya go.

Plenty of non officer people on both sides on the Chinese front carried swords, so they presumably saw some nonzero level of practical utility there.

I'm still shooting the guys with guns first, but that's more on account of the bullets than the bayonets.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

P-Mack posted:

Plenty of non officer people on both sides on the Chinese front carried swords, so they presumably saw some nonzero level of practical utility there.

I'm still shooting the guys with guns first, but that's more on account of the bullets than the bayonets.

There was a fairly decent paper on sword use in China in WWII and the conclusions were that they were mostly used by MP/Provost Marshal types that were securing rear areas, and weren't significantly used in combat outside a couple of notable cases. The anti-Japanese forces also had a hard time with supplies.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

lenoon posted:

Have you seen the news recently?

Anyway in this post-brexit world, I expect all talk of wars between Catholics and Protestants to cease, whoever heard of such a ludicrous thing, it would be like turning the world upside down. In fact, Milhist thread you have Posted too long for any good you have been doing lately ... Depart, I say; and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!

Anyway I am off to speak to some men in Putney about the proper way to order our new nation.

We seem to have a bit of an infestation of street-level fascist thugs these days, but the people actually in charge are way, way too incompetent even for the Nazis.

Compared to our current lot, Charles I was the model of a sensible, well-liked, competent administrator. :negative:

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Kemper Boyd posted:

Fun fact: Christina was actually no queen at all, she was crowned as King Christina.

Sometimes that happens. Wu Zetian declared herself emperor because the Chinese title for empress (huanghou) is much less flattering than the title for emperor (huangdi)

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Wasn't Cleopatra a king too?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Tias posted:

Wait, what. Which Danish king are you referring to!?

Sorry, Swedish, not Danish.

Hogge Wild posted:

Wasn't Cleopatra a king too?

I think "Pharoah" didn't have a feminine equivalent. So when Hatsheput and Cleopatra became sole pharoah, that was the title they assumed.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

HEY GAL posted:

edit: In this terrain, I wonder if the Italian army is heavily Tyroleans or Slovenians? In that case, some of the guys who are dying for Austria-Hungary and some of the guys who are dying for Italy would have come from almost the same places, and spoken the same languages.

Lussu's unit has already had one (cut for space and so as not to just barf the whole book) incident where they captured some prisoners who spoke a funny language and assumed them to be spies wearing Italian uniforms. Fortunately it was all sorted out by a sergeant before a sufficiently senior officer could appear and start demanding a firing squad...

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

There was a fairly decent paper on sword use in China in WWII and the conclusions were that they were mostly used by MP/Provost Marshal types that were securing rear areas, and weren't significantly used in combat outside a couple of notable cases. The anti-Japanese forces also had a hard time with supplies.

Yep, I think I linked that a while back.

I also remember one story about a Chinese soldier who had studied in Tokyo and spoke fluent Japanese. One night he impersonated a Japanese officer and talked a base guard into opening the gate for him, at which point his men snuck in and took the whole garrison prisoner at sword point.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

P-Mack posted:

Yep, I think I linked that a while back.

I also remember one story about a Chinese soldier who had studied in Tokyo and spoke fluent Japanese. One night he impersonated a Japanese officer and talked a base guard into opening the gate for him, at which point his men snuck in and took the whole garrison prisoner at sword point.

Haha, reminds me of Wilhelm Voigt:

"Friedrich Wilhelm Voigt (13 February 1849 – 3 January 1922) was a German impostor who, in 1906, masqueraded as a Prussian military officer, rounded up a number of soldiers under his "command", and "confiscated" more than 4,000 marks from a municipal treasury."

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

feedmegin posted:

I know that people like to watch The Patriot and believe British people are literally moustache-twirling evil Nazis, but this really doesn't seem likely to me. A triangular bayonet is simply stronger and easier to make than a blade, and unlike with eg a sword just as effective because you're using it to stab not slice.

I dunno about triangular blades, but IIRC the Hessian mercenaries during the American Revolution were known for using serrated blades, which would not only kill you but make a hell of a mess while doing so. Lord knows if they were actually effective, but the reputation was certainly enough to make the Hessians reviled and feared.*

*I think, it's been a while since I read anything about this

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I dunno about triangular blades, but IIRC the Hessian mercenaries during the American Revolution were known for using serrated blades, which would not only kill you but make a hell of a mess while doing so. Lord knows if they were actually effective, but the reputation was certainly enough to make the Hessians reviled and feared.*

*I think, it's been a while since I read anything about this

Didn't that also happen in WWI. That is, some German soldiers were issued multi-purpose bayonets with a saw-blade for cutting wood. But it was such an allied propaganda coup that they stopped after a few years. It probably also helped that there isn't much wood to saw after a heavy artillery barrage.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

golden bubble posted:

Didn't that also happen in WWI. That is, some German soldiers were issued multi-purpose bayonets with a saw-blade for cutting wood. But it was such an allied propaganda coup that they stopped after a few years. It probably also helped that there isn't much wood to saw after a heavy artillery barrage.

Au contraire; there's an awful lot of wood to saw to rebuild the wooden revetments that stop your trench just falling in on itself after heavy rain.

Also, this sounds like an excellent excuse to have, once more, Father Galaup and the Saga of the Bayonet:

quote:

The abbé Galaup was haunted for some time by the desire to find a German rifle with a sawtoothed bayonet attached, to take home as a souvenir. The Germans had one of these in each squad, in case it was needed to cut a branch, saw up a wooden plank, etc. Of course they would occasionally put it on the end of a rifle, to cut through a thorax or a belly. It served double duty. Father Galaup, in search of this combination weapon-tool, went out into the fog each morning, at the risk of intercepting a bullet along the way.

One day, he told me that if I wanted a revolver and a nice pair of binoculars, he would point them out to me. The next day, accepting this offer, I went to the place he indicated, where an enormous shell had exploded right in the middle of a group of French soldiers mounting an assault, decapitating and frightfully mutilating a dozen men, who were now nothing more than bloody scraps. I spotted the binoculars and the revolver on the ground, still in their leather cases. I quickly grabbed them and fled, appalled by the horrible scene.

With the help of these binoculars, the abbé Galaup ended up finding the object of his desire, a precious sawtoothed bayonet at the end of a rifle held by a dead German, a few paces from the trench, tangled up in a mass of barbed wire. You’d have to be crazy to want to go out, even at night, to look for a weapon like this, risking nine chances out of ten to be killed for a bayonet, even a sawtoothed one. Probably no man in the regiment would have attempted it.

Well, this priest tried it. The following night he crept out, succeeded in getting his fascinating bayonet, and came back without arousing the attention of the Germans. But while he was coming back he lost his way and stumbled upon a listening post of a neighboring company, where two sentinels fired on him but missed. At the very moment that he got away from this post, a 105mm shell fell right onto it, killing the two sentinels.

The abbé Galaup offered profound thanks to Providence, which favored him in this rash enterprise and kept him safe from such serious dangers.

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

feedmegin posted:

Yeah, the triangle bayonets are just a way of efficiently creating a strong point for a weapon that doesn't need an edge. You also see triangular blades in some period smallswords as well. That leads me to believe that the idea of triangle bayonets being especially dangerous is a myth. If you're an American militia dude in 1776 and you're getting impaled with a bayonet, you probably have bigger problems to worry about than the specific shape of the bayonet.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

People just really like the idea that your stabby thing is worse than my stabby thing.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

lenoon posted:

I am meeting some historical reenactment guys next month about getting me a buff coat and a floppy hat and doing some pike drill.
the way english people fight with pikes is goddamn dumb as hell, get ready for a shoving match, "english pike push" is retarded. You should come to Germany/the Czech republic instead, where (if we're on opposite sides that day) I'll stab you.

anyway i hope to see you in the Netherlands one day, which is where most of the English reenactors who go to europe end up

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jun 30, 2016

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I can't believe the man in the tricorner hat deceived me like that

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

HEY GAL posted:

the way english people fight with pikes is goddamn dumb as hell, get ready for a shoving match, "english pike push" is retarded. You should come to Germany/the Czech republic instead, where (if we're on opposite sides that day) I'll stab you.

anyway i hope to see you in the Netherlands one day, which is where most of the English reenactors who go to europe end up

Are you telling me that the British might not have been able to make the most efficient use of the home guard pike?

Everything they issued to the home guard seems to have been terrifying in the exact wrong way. Sticky bomb, Northover Projector...

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
the hell am i looking at there

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

HEY GAL posted:

A winstonchurchillism.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
oh no

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Not really. Churchill was frustrated that in mid-1941 the Home Guard still didn't have enough weapons to issue every member a gun and wrote in a memo that they had to issue every member of the Home Guard a weapon even if it was just a pike or a mace.

He was exaggerating for effect, but some clod at the War Office took it literally and had thousands of pikes made up from old bayonets and pipes. Neither Churchill nor the poor bastards who were issued the things were happy about it.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

HEY GAL posted:

In WW2 Winston Churchill was a huge fan of the Home Guard, a militia formed of men who were unsuitable for real military service, as a reserve and defense force in case of German invasion of England. At the time, though, the country had its hands full trying to equip its actual military with guns and tanks and stuff, so the Home Guard was woefully underequipped, most of what they had was hilariously ineffective or dangerous, and many of them went unarmed. Churchill angrily told the War Office in 1941 that "every man must have a weapon of some sort, be it only a mace or a pike", so someone took him at his word and ordered the production of a quarter-million pikes for defense of the British homeland against German invaders.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
The good old Civ Spearman strategy.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Good to know that even other British people can't tell when British people are joking

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
brexit!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

feedmegin posted:

Honestly, all bayonets until the mid 19th century have the same drat design when it comes to the blade.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Since the Germans liked to drop their airborne troops separate from their weapons it is not totally improbable that pike-armed Home Guards could have killed a fallschirmjaeger or two.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Hogge Wild posted:

I'm thinking of making a PYF Noble thread.
does wallenstein count

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Lovely Mary Seacole gets her own memorial at last!

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

HEY GAL posted:

does wallenstein count

Duke of friedland.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

HEY GAL posted:

does wallenstein count

yes, and he also dukes

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Xiahou Dun posted:

That is a very narrow amount of academics and is a lovely right-wing portrayal of a real annoying thing that sometimes happens.

And in the novel it portrays that about everyone but STEM people which is gross.

Like it basically just says that Social Science is bullshit.

I gotta say, you are taking that bit of the novel amazingly hard. I understand why you stooped to the Ringo analogy, now. Just some context for people who've never read Cryptonomicon: One of the narrative characters in the book is Randy Waterhouse, who's a CS nerd in charge of a university's computer system. He is in a failing soon-to-be-terminated relationship with Charlene, an academic of some description. The last night Randy (who is really unhappy with his life) attends a dinner with Charlene and a bunch of academics who are attending a conference at the university. Usually he knows better, but this night he argues with a prestigious academic, a Dr. GEB Kivistik, who's a contrarian about the internet. Rereading the section (it's about 5 pages) Randy comes off as a dick, abet one who's actually speaking his mind for once. He tries to pull rank on the academic, saying that he actually understands the internet (being a huge networking nerd) while the professor does not. The argument quickly turns to one of privilege, first, who gets to tell who they don't know poo poo, and second, how Randy got this position of knowledge in the first place. Randy acts like a reddit user would, and claims his education was completely normal; all he did was bought some books and spent lots of time messing around. The Prof counters that the ability to wade through technical texts and actually understand them makes him highly privileged, and he is supported by this by Charlene, who then points out that Randy's father is a engineer teaching at a state college, and his grandfather was a mathematician. Anyway, the argument (in the dinner and in the book) is inconclusive - both sides frankly have a point.

I understand how you get to "it basically says social science is bullshit"; like I said, I think you've taken this little bit amazingly hard, but I just don't see it. Are you a Yale professor who wrote a contrarian book on the internet? :v:

Real milhist post:

Part of the inspiration for Cryptonomicon, I think, came from the discovery of I-101, a sunken IJN submarine. She was in the Atlantic sailing to France when she was intercepted and sunk by USN warplanes. On-board she had (among other things) 2.2 tons of gold, which in today's prices would be worth $84,806,849 in US dollars. It's still there, sunk in the mid-Atlantic. There's a guy who's lead at least one expedition to the sub, but all they recovered was a several pound block of opium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Hogge Wild posted:

yes, and he also dukes
it is ok to do both of those things, op

• Locked thread