Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Electromax posted:

Well I googled "japan idol industry" expecting to see some articles about those skeevy anime statuettes, and ended up with my brow even more furrowed than before.

:psyduck:

It's the same with K-pop idols. East Asia is weird like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

I didn't seek it out beyond playing the game with cut scenes turned on. It's actually in the game itself.

If you're talking about the lengthy torture sequence then I'd call that more comical than loathsome.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

IronicDongz posted:

dumb grimdark cutscenes is probably not what they were referring to with "something truly loathsome"

Oxxidation posted:

If you're talking about the lengthy torture sequence then I'd call that more comical than loathsome.

Loathsome might not be the right word, but it left me deeply uncomfortable.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Electromax posted:

Well I googled "japan idol industry" expecting to see some articles about those skeevy anime statuettes, and ended up with my brow even more furrowed than before.

:psyduck:

It's a little more nuanced than that, and it's actually a pretty broad generalization at this point. Not entirely inaccurate, but not off-the-mark for the standard either.

Mega Man games.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
what if dr. wily was an idol

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

The Colonel posted:

dr. wily was an idol

Fixed it for you.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
someone get me a picture of dr. wily singing into a microphone while wearing a cute outfit

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

The Colonel posted:

someone get me a picture of dr. wily singing into a microphone while wearing a cute outfit

redbackground fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jun 29, 2016

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Just play the mode that automatically skips all the cutscenes like a normal person and quit bitching. It's an indie game with good gameplay but an amateur story, who cares?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cinderella girls is a deeply nuanced character study that also has a cat girl who says nya. 10/10

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Well this thread certainly went somewhere.

Dr. Wily #1 waifu.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Dr. Wily having fun with Dr. Eggman was literally the best part about Worlds Collide. It's such a shame that Worlds Unite was so bad. :(

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.

Screaming Idiot posted:

Dr. Wily having fun with Dr. Eggman was literally the best part about Worlds Collide. It's such a shame that Worlds Unite was so bad. :(

When has a crossover ever been good?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

LemonLimeTime posted:

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

LemonLimeTime posted:

Worlds Collide was actually really, really well-done. It didn't hurt that they ditched all the crappy comic elements (no Freedom Fighters from Sonic, no Emerald Spears from Megaman) and focused a lot on Eggman and Wily chewing the scenery and hamming it up the way only wacky mad scientists can. The double-page spread of Sonic punking the hell out of Quickman (and questioning the reason for Strikeman's existence) only made it sweeter. Seriously, Worlds Collide is full of great visual gags that alone make it worth a read.

Wolrds Unite, however, was just garbage.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

LemonLimeTime posted:

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

It's me. I'm the one who played Freedom Planet in story mode and unironically enjoyed it. :(

Were everyone else's childhood saturday morning cartoons less violent than mine, or something?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Freedom Planet's story mode is good, because it has Dan McNeely.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

LemonLimeTime posted:

uh well there's this one game that you might've heard of, it's called "Super Bash Sisters" or something like that...

Katsuma posted:

It's me. I'm the one who played Freedom Planet in story mode and unironically enjoyed it. :(

Were everyone else's childhood saturday morning cartoons less violent than mine, or something?

tone shift is a balancing act, freedom planet loses its balance pretty quickly

Augus fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 29, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

freedom planet wasn't good but it didn't seem especially darker than the sonic cartoon with jim cummings as eggman

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the torture scene is, uh, pretty weird

the main character is just kind of poo poo on pretty hard for that chunk of the game and it's not fun to watch

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

Takoluka posted:

Freedom Planet's story mode is good, because it has Dan McNeely.

You very nearly blew my mind in a "Holy poo poo, REALLY?!" sort of way, but then I remembered that Dan Mcneely and Brad Neely are different. Freedom Planet's writing is weirdly paced and poorly edited and amateurishly hamfisted in its implementation of uh... pathos, I guess, but I liked it anyways. It was charming enough that I could forgive its flaws and enjoy it for what it wanted to be.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Augus posted:

uh well there's this one game that you might've heard of, it's called "Super Bash Sisters" or something like that...

Does Smash really count as a crossover though? Usually I think of a crossover as the story lines coming together and, if I'm remembering right, the "story" for Smash is that a bunch of toys come to life.

As far as great real crossovers go, try Fresh Beat Band X Yo Gabba Gabba. Their banana song mash-up is, well, quite frankly, bananas.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

The Colonel posted:

the torture scene is, uh, pretty weird

the main character is just kind of poo poo on pretty hard for that chunk of the game and it's not fun to watch

More than that, it's visually gruesome. It's not just the main character helplessly tied up while the villain gloats, she's partially dismembered, there's blood.

The story does kind of build up to the moment, having started out much more lighthearted only to slowly darken over the past couple levels, but even with that the scene itself is still way over the top. It's almost comically miserable, and tonally out-of-whack with the rest of the game.

Aside from the time the same villain transforms player 3 into a monster, and you have a boss battle against her where you pummel her into a bloody pulp.

I guess that part was tonally consistent.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Even weirder is that after the torture scene happens, any possible consequences from it are immediately fixed no string attached and the tone goes back to being bright and happy until that previously-mentioned other sudden brutal tonal shift. So it's entirely unnecessary and is just trying to be edgy I guess? It's pretty hilarious honestly.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

Does Smash really count as a crossover though? Usually I think of a crossover as the story lines coming together

I dunno, Marvel vs Capcom is one of the coolest crossover things ever and it's got no real story to it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Screaming Idiot posted:

Worlds Collide was actually really, really well-done. It didn't hurt that they ditched all the crappy comic elements (no Freedom Fighters from Sonic, no Emerald Spears from Megaman) and focused a lot on Eggman and Wily chewing the scenery and hamming it up the way only wacky mad scientists can. The double-page spread of Sonic punking the hell out of Quickman (and questioning the reason for Strikeman's existence) only made it sweeter. Seriously, Worlds Collide is full of great visual gags that alone make it worth a read.

Wolrds Unite, however, was just garbage.

I've never heard of this, and I need to experience it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The great thing about Wily and Eggman was how much they got along. It's usual for crossovers to pair the villains but have them at each other's throats as they fight to prove who's the biggest badass but Wily and Eggman find a common bond in their love for themed fortresses, terrible names, and bad facial hair.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

al-azad posted:

The great thing about Wily and Eggman was how much they got along. It's usual for crossovers to pair the villains but have them at each other's throats as they fight to prove who's the biggest badass but Wily and Eggman find a common bond in their love for themed fortresses, terrible names, and bad facial hair.

In fact the reason they split is because Doctor Wily doesn't actually want to destroy the world, he wants to be in charge and be recognized as an equal to Light, whereas Eggman wants to blow everything up. Wily may be a self-centered prick, but he knows you can't run a giant robot business if nobody is around to buy your stuff. It was a very realistic way for that to happen.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

I can never un-see this, you son of a bitch.

Classic villainy - Dr. Wily would be proud.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

kefkafloyd posted:

In fact the reason they split is because Doctor Wily doesn't actually want to destroy the world, he wants to be in charge and be recognized as an equal to Light, whereas Eggman wants to blow everything up. Wily may be a self-centered prick, but he knows you can't run a giant robot business if nobody is around to buy your stuff. It was a very realistic way for that to happen.

That and he still considers Dr. Light on some level to be his friend and was absolutely apalled and shocked that Eggman tried to openly murder Dr. Light.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

kefkafloyd posted:

I'd almost say the games kind of come across as the opposite. Dr. Robotnik doesn't want to destroy the world, he just wants to take it over and make an "Eggmanland". And he's not even all that evil - just kind of misunderstood and he's like a strange sort of "frenemy" with Sonic. However he is considerably more evil and insane in the comic books so that characterization fits.

In the actual Mega Man games, it isn't entirely clear what Wily's motives actually are beyond his rivalry with Dr. Light and a desire to conquer the world for some reason. In the X series, Wily is responsible for Zero and the Maverick virus, and while he never shows up directly, he has a kind of ominous presence in the background. Wily always kind of stuck me as a more unhinged madman who just wanted to blow everything up.

That said, I think this is all fine because there's been 20 years of Sonic comics and Robotnik's character was well established in that. On the flip side, the Mega Man games have very little in terms of storyline or characterization so the comics fleshing out characters like Dr. Wily is good.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I guess it really depends on the Eggman portrayal, like with the whole Roboticizing deal in SatAM (I guess the early games, to some degree). That's pretty malicious.

Then there's Sonic Colors Eggman and Sonic Boom Cartoon Eggman.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Gammatron 64 posted:

I'd almost say the games kind of come across as the opposite. Dr. Robotnik doesn't want to destroy the world, he just wants to take it over and make an "Eggmanland". And he's not even all that evil - just kind of misunderstood and he's like a strange sort of "frenemy" with Sonic. However he is considerably more evil and insane in the comic books so that characterization fits.

In the actual Mega Man games, it isn't entirely clear what Wily's motives actually are beyond his rivalry with Dr. Light and a desire to conquer the world for some reason. In the X series, Wily is responsible for Zero and the Maverick virus, and while he never shows up directly, he has a kind of ominous presence in the background. Wily always kind of stuck me as a more unhinged madman who just wanted to blow everything up.

That said, I think this is all fine because there's been 20 years of Sonic comics and Robotnik's character was well established in that. On the flip side, the Mega Man games have very little in terms of storyline or characterization so the comics fleshing out characters like Dr. Wily is good.

Depends which version of Robotnik you're talking about, actually.
Genesis-era Robotnik could be pretty drat malevolent, just look at Sonic CD. He was able to be a strong antagonist despite his dorky appearance.
Adventure-era Robotnik was someone who took himself very seriously and Sonic treated him as a joke, but he could also up the ante and become a serious threat.
After Sonic 06 he became more of an incompetent goofball as part of the series pushing back against the dark and edgy pit it had fallen into.
And then Sonic Boom takes it even further by just making him a sitcom antagonist frenemy, because Sonic Boom isn't really interested in telling an action-adventure story.

As far as I've seen, the post-Penders comics treat Eggman more like his old-school self, he's an eccentric goofball but he can and will cause serious damage if he's allowed to.

Eggman's actually an oddball case because while he's gone through many different iterations just like the rest of the Sonic franchise, he's also the only example of something that manages to be consistently great (more or less) despite all of these schizophrenic changes. Eggman's just an awesome character.

Wily's pretty consistent though. People didn't buy his robots or something, he's pissed, he starts breaking things with his robots and then begs for mercy when Mega Man breaks his toys. The final iconic confrontation in Mega Man 2 was him using a hologram to trick Mega Man into thinking he had turned into a super-powered alien. There's never been any effort put into showing real consequences and loss of life as a result of Wily's actions, while Eggman turns the world into a lifeless mechanical dystopia if he wins.

Augus fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 30, 2016

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
If you want an actually evil Wily read the BR comics where he has become some kind of immortal robot? man who has already successfully destroyed most of the world and replaced most people in power with robots. There's like two other human villains who could also secretly be robots, maybe. And they are all? working towards something involving aliens that is never resolved.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
C'mon Augus, use spoiler tags!

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.

Augus posted:

When has a non-fighting game crossover ever been good?

Sorry, fixed that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

LemonLimeTime posted:

When has a non-fighting game crossover ever been good?

Sorry, fixed that.