Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Krinkle posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLAof9rID5g
Have fun it's on youtube.

I'm pretty good with recognizing voice actors in other places and I swear to god one of the penguins halfway through the movie has one line, and it's goddamn Crow T Robot, uncredited. Or drat it come on. Sounds just like the guy.
58:50, is that crow t robot?

Also lorenzo music, the guy who made a career out of impersonating bull murray in cartoons, is a gorilla in this movie.

I gave it a close listen, as I love all the voice actors of mst3k and it turns out

I'm drunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Krinkle posted:

Also lorenzo music, the guy who made a career out of impersonating bull murray in cartoons, is a gorilla in this movie.

Bill Murray has also impersonated Lorenzo Music in movies.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Trent posted:

Dr Strange as well, but DC has this issue 10x worse than Marvel. It's like punny names are an unavoidable sentence of (mostly) villainy.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nominative_determinism
Also, it's an easy way to keep track of the players in a story - Voldemort, anyone? [1]

And, finally, Stan Lee's bad memory:

And we can chalk up all the alliterative names in the Marvel universe to Stan Lee's one failing. "It would be hard for you to believe this, because I seem so perfect: I have the worst memory in the world," Stan said. "So I finally figured out, if I could give somebody a name, where the last name and the first name begin with the same letter, like Peter Parker, Bruce Banner, Matt Murdock, then if I could remember one name, it gave me a clue what the other one was, I knew it would begin with the same letter."

[1] And now I can't help but hear Hugh Laurie as Bertie Wooster: "Anyone up for a quick round of Voldemort? No?"

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Cowslips Warren posted:

My point is there needs to be some way to tell how much time has passed. A day, a week, five months? It was clear that the start of season 6 that it was maybe 10 minutes after season 5 ended. Hour? But in between episodes some way to show, okay, it's only been a week for the Wall but six months in Braavos, might make things look less rushed and coincidence.

The time between seasons, episodes, and scenes is not consistent from storyline to storyline due to the necessary pacing of the show. This isn't 24. Arya "teleports" to the Twins because it would be boring as gently caress to have her spend half a season on a boat.

The showrunners (mistakenly) have faith that watchers will see a fuckload of Tyrell and Martell boats in a fleet and figure out how Varys got back to Mereen.

rydiafan has a new favorite as of 14:05 on Jun 29, 2016

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Memento posted:

Slightly annoying in the GoT finale that after they did the R + L = J reveal, they go straight from a front-end shot of the baby to a front on shot of Jon SnowTargaryan. Yes, we understand who that was, you didn't need to cram it so hard down our throats.

Also thank gently caress they finally confirmed that, I had serious blueballs.

Honestly they have to make it that obvious. No joke, someone in the TVIV spoiler thread thought this proved that Jon was Robert Baratheon's son. Hell they should probably have cut to Bran saying, "so my half-brother Jon is actually my cousin, son of Rhaegar Targaryen and my aunt Lyanna Stark".

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The show has never explicitly given the length of time the rebellion lasted, you can easily get the impression the whole thing was short enough.

I looked it up (never read the books) and it's a series of sieges and battles, and the whole thing lasts almost 3 years before they take the last Targaryen land. But the time between Lyanna's kidnapping and her death is about 2 years.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Krinkle posted:

Lorenzo Music was a successful TV producer when Bill Murray was still in high school. :colbert: The voice acting only started because he thought it would be fun to play the doorman on "Rhoda", which he was producing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

HBO released an official family tree confirming Jon's parentage.

I guess they did intend people to know completely from that scene. I was assuming they were saving the second part for a further reveal.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Aphrodite posted:

HBO released an official family tree confirming Jon's parentage.

I'm not sure you could make that chart more complicated.

Link for the curious http://www.makinggameofthrones.com/production-diary/got-connections-ned-promise-tower-of-joy-infographic

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015

Cowslips Warren posted:

Since when?

In the first season the Council TALKED about having a Faceless Man kill her but opted not to because of the price involved. And how do they see the future?

My point is there needs to be some way to tell how much time has passed. A day, a week, five months? It was clear that the start of season 6 that it was maybe 10 minutes after season 5 ended. Hour? But in between episodes some way to show, okay, it's only been a week for the Wall but six months in Braavos, might make things look less rushed and coincidence.

I confused the warlock attempt with the faceless men. So that can be ignored.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Krinkle posted:

And selling Ruggles Ice Cream

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Krinkle posted:

Have fun it's on youtube.

I'm pretty good with recognizing voice actors in other places and I swear to god one of the penguins halfway through the movie has one line, and it's goddamn Crow T Robot, uncredited. Or drat it come on. Sounds just like the guy.
58:50, is that crow t robot?

Holy poo poo that's a blast from my past. I still remember that piano tune from this movie, though I only ever watched it decades ago.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

AlbieQuirky posted:

Lorenzo Music was a successful TV producer when Bill Murray was still in high school. :colbert: The voice acting only started because he thought it would be fun to play the doorman on "Rhoda", which he was producing.

I remembered, as a child, seeing one garfield made for tv movie. It might have been a christmas special. It was older than the cartoon series garfield and friends and Garfield sounded exactly like bill murray from ghostbusters, to me, and I thought he was bill murray all this time. Then later it was Lorenzo for the cartoon who sounded just barely not bill murray so I thought that was two times he was brought in specifically to pinch hit for Bill. I tried to corroborate this, but apparently bill murray only ever did garfield in 2002-whatever when garfield 2 came out. Possibly not even garfield 1. Then I went to bed without amending my post. I'm sorry for besmirching the career of Lorenzo Music, a nice man who did suicide helpline work and kept getting ledge jumpers to ask if he knew he sounded like that cartoon cat.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Aphrodite posted:

And nobody wants to see a story set in Wisconsin.

I thought That 70s Show was pretty popular?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Silly Newbie posted:

I thought That 70s Show was pretty popular?

I believe Happy Days had some fans too...

ITT: people who don't realise how many movies are shot in Georgia and Louisiana

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
My dad couldn't figure out the plot of FACE/OFF he was confused as to why they didn't just throw Castor Troy's face in the bin after they cut it off.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Drunken Baker posted:

My dad couldn't figure out the plot of FACE/OFF he was confused as to why they didn't just throw Castor Troy's face in the bin after they cut it off.

laughed at this for about five minutes, would have made a much better movie

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Why did he think they cut it off? Just for fun?

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I bring it up now and then when we talk about films and he plays up to it now, acting even dumber, y'know?

But I remember him thinking that this was some kind of future punishment for criminals. Like, they had their faces cut off and then left to roam the streets. He tied it into the thing John Travolta did with his kid, y'know when he runs his fingers over his face? I said it was just like, a symbolic thing and he was having none of it.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I want to watch movies with your dad

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Yeah just Netflix and chill with your dad

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I want to gently caress your dad.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Does your dad have a Facebook?

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

How does Burke get the facehuggers to Ripley's sleeping quarters in Aliens? They look pretty heavy, and I don't think any of the marines would help him. And how come they didn't attack him when he released them?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Ask Drunken Baker's dad

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

How does Burke get the facehuggers to Ripley's sleeping quarters in Aliens? They look pretty heavy, and I don't think any of the marines would help him. And how come they didn't attack him when he released them?

I'm 90% sure there'll be a comic or novel somewhere that explains this.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

Ripley is sleeping in Medical, so it really wasn't very far.

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

Aliens also completely forgets about the facehugger's acidic blood which is the main reason they rig up a flame thrower in the first place. Now they can actually kill the thing without it's blood instantly melting a huge portion of their ship. None of this is a concern in Aliens, just shoot em and they die.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Rare Collectable posted:

Aliens also completely forgets about the facehugger's acidic blood which is the main reason they rig up a flame thrower in the first place. Now they can actually kill the thing without it's blood instantly melting a huge portion of their ship. None of this is a concern in Aliens, just shoot em and they die.

No.

They're explicitly told not to use their rifles in Aliens after Ripley and Gorms debate it out. Then Vasquez and Drake gently caress it all to hell and blow out the coolant system to the reactor.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
A fusion loving reactor which will not go critical like a fission one damnit James.

And caseless rounds my rear end.

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

Ok I forgot that line my memory was based more off the way they still use them 90 percent of the time with the blood never actually being an issue. :shrug:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Rare Collectable posted:

Ok I forgot that line my memory was based more off the way they still use them 90 percent of the time with the blood never actually being an issue. :shrug:

Sorry I'm an Aliens superfan.

When my homie did a first!?! watch of it I was iming with him and I could, based on our conversation, quote lines as they were happening.

It's a kind of madness.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

syscall girl posted:

A fusion loving reactor which will not go critical like a fission one damnit James.

And caseless rounds my rear end.

I always thought it was like "fusion generates power by generating heat to spin a turbine or flywheel the size of an aircraft carrier. Coolant system prevents the mechanical system from going out of control by bleeding off heat. Company are a bunch of cheap asses who don't bother with fail-safes because lol human lives. No one is alive who knows how to engage a fail-safe. Coolant system gets hosed by smart guns, after a while, critical energy is reached, turbine/flywheel explodes, taking a few square miles with it. Minimum safe distance wasn't that far off.
Or maybe that's just how I rationalized it in my mind.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Julianne moores character in The Lost World is annoying. She tells everyone to not affect the island at all, not even bend a blade of grass and this is 5 minutes after walking into a dinosaur nest and petting a baby dinosaur.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

In X-Men Apocalypse colonel Stryker shows up with his commando squad or whatever and they fire some kind of stun weapon that instantly knocks an entire crowd of mutants unconscious.

20 minutes later in the movie, Wolverine breaks free from his containment in Stryker's base and every single soldier sent to stop him are armed with regular guns :downs:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Nightcrawler also can't teleport for no reason

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Mu Zeta posted:

Nightcrawler also can't teleport for no reason
They actually went to great pains to show that Nightcrawler couldn't teleport out of those weird electrical fences things

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah I didn't buy it. So oddly specific of those fences. Does it mean they encountered other teleporters before? Also quicksilver can dodge explosions while also rescuing like 100 dudes but he can't dodge strykers gun.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Calaveron posted:

They actually went to great pains to show that Nightcrawler couldn't teleport out of those weird electrical fences things

It's just lazy writing.
Nightcrawler can teleport anywhere he sees or is really familiar with like his house or the school.
He literally slips into a hell dimension. It doesn't matter what is between.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

oldpainless posted:

Julianne moores character in The Lost World is annoying. She tells everyone to not affect the island at all, not even bend a blade of grass and this is 5 minutes after walking into a dinosaur nest and petting a baby dinosaur.

It really bugged me because they're artificially created dinosaurs on a island used for research and production of more dinosaurs. It's like a farm where all the people had gone and left the animals to themselves. It's not an untouched loving wilderness, it's this:

They're escaped animals, not an ecosystem. It's something the book actually got right. In it, everything was falling apart and all the animals were under incredible stress from the huge numbers of predators and limited resources.

Also, gently caress every single person in that move who was supposed to be a "good guy". They were all complicit in getting a LOT of people killed. Am I supposed to feel more for a factory bred animal than a human being hired to professionally and humanely capture and transport them? Or was it okay because they were ethnic type mercenaries?