Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
It's a transportation hub because of I-70, I-35, and the rail line that follows the highway of the americas. Historically, the Sante Fe, California, and Oregon trails begin in Independence MO. It is a major reason it is so cheap to live here. A ton of poo poo is passing through here anyway so transportation costs are almost nil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishhooked
Nov 14, 2006
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Nap Ghost
Logistics is starting to boom hard in the kc area. The bnsf property near Gardner is adding like +500K sqft of warehouse & logistics space a year. To a lessor extent, the hub south of Grandview is adding yearly too. Airport area is also seeing new buildings.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

fishmech posted:

Which one are you talking about? I've heard that name used for Atlanta, Chicago, and Phoenix.
See the Wiki link in the post above.

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx
The Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe rail lines used to be a really big deal.

Fun fact, 805 north 5th Street in Atchison KS has swastika's in the tile of the entryway and hidden in the moulding throughout the house. My mom restored it from its stint as a bordello and when we pulled up the red shag carpeting (on everything, including the walls) it was swastika's everywhere. Apparently the property was owned by a Nazi sympathizer at one point.

Teenage me got in a lot of trouble for asking why we didn't just destroy them like we were destroying the remnants of the bordello. She did not like that they were there - but they qualified as "history" in a way the mirrored ceiling in one of the bedrooms apparently didn't and thus it was against her moral code to remove them. I can only presume they are still there.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

McAlister posted:

Fun fact, 805 north 5th Street in Atchison KS has swastika's in the tile of the entryway and hidden in the moulding throughout the house. My mom restored it from its stint as a bordello and when we pulled up the red shag carpeting (on everything, including the walls) it was swastika's everywhere. Apparently the property was owned by a Nazi sympathizer at one point.

Teenage me got in a lot of trouble for asking why we didn't just destroy them like we were destroying the remnants of the bordello. She did not like that they were there - but they qualified as "history" in a way the mirrored ceiling in one of the bedrooms apparently didn't and thus it was against her moral code to remove them. I can only presume they are still there.

I think your mom was actually a Nazi, sorry.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

That's a glorious post/username combo.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Gail Wynand posted:

Kansas City is a startup hub, says Kansas City booster. There's one of these articles for every random city out there, I saw one about Des Moines recently.

Des Moines is legitimately the greatest city in the US.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

pathetic little tramp posted:

Des Moines is legitimately the greatest city in the US.

Jastiger alt spotted!

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

McAlister posted:

Is that supposed to act like some kind of Talisman?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Yawgmoft posted:

Is that supposed to act like some kind of Talisman?

Stay safe Nazi Ghost

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe
Welp, missed June's estimates by $34m. Guess we'll just take that all out of KDoT, then?

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I was passing through Nebraska and stopped at a folk-art museum, and there were tons of old patchwork quilts from the 1910s-1930s with the swastika or backwards swastika on them; I don't think it was meant to be Nazi sympathy despite the large German population, but it used to be a popular good luck symbol. I once bought a 1920s wooden recurve bow at auction that had a backwards swastika, I believe as an American Indian reference.

EDIT: apropos cartoon from when Marine Scout Snipers got called out for appropriating the SS runes for their flag, which had been a thing for at least a decade since I recall Marine wannabe snipers having the ring with that design in 2000:

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jul 6, 2016

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
With quilts, it is pretty much going to come up whenever you are making a bunch of repeating patterns with rectangles. Everyone figures out how to draw Xs on things really cool somehow. The cross and the swastika are fairly universal.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
In the Corn Palace up in Mitchell, South Dakota, they have a hallway with pictures of all the Corn Palace's designs throughout history (they make a new exterior design for the building each year, I guess, always out of corn and other grain products).

One of the ones from the 1910s or 20s or thereabouts had a prominently featured swastika, and that picture had a little plaque explaining that it was before the Nazis and the swastika was some sort of native symbol.

doodlebugs
Feb 18, 2015

by Lowtax
They were somewhat popular in the 1920s

http://www.yourememberthat.com/media/16915/Clara_Bow_Swastika_Outfit/

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Babylon Astronaut posted:

With quilts, it is pretty much going to come up whenever you are making a bunch of repeating patterns with rectangles. Everyone figures out how to draw Xs on things really cool somehow. The cross and the swastika are fairly universal.

The swastika and the toothbrush mustache are probably lost to us for the rest of time.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
One of the most cognitively bizarre moments of my life was seeing an actual Nazi Naval flag in person.

One of my coworkers circa 2011, was going through his grandfathers old things and came across his war trophies, which contained said flag, and two armbands (one was pristine, the other was stained with something, possibly blood). Just seeing a full-sized Nazi flag in person was extremely fascinating, yet extremely repulsive at the same time.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Full Battle Rattle posted:

The swastika and the toothbrush mustache are probably lost to us for the rest of time.

Didn't Michael Jordan have one for a time?

I think Robert Mugabe might have as well, although that's hardly someone to emulate.

Basically, it might be okay, but only if you're not white.

Trochanter
Sep 14, 2007

It ain't no sin
to take off your skin, And dance around in your bones!

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Iron Crowned posted:

One of the most cognitively bizarre moments of my life was seeing an actual Nazi Naval flag in person.

One of my coworkers circa 2011, was going through his grandfathers old things and came across his war trophies, which contained said flag, and two armbands (one was pristine, the other was stained with something, possibly blood). Just seeing a full-sized Nazi flag in person was extremely fascinating, yet extremely repulsive at the same time.

I worked over in the Yale rare book library before moving to Kansas and I once spent 4 months of my life cataloging and archiving books from the Nazi Germany Department of Agriculture. I probably handled over a thousand of those books but looking at non ironic swastikas and other things never stopped feeling fascinating/repulsive to me either. To sound like a new age burnout: they had a strange energy about them.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

PT6A posted:

Didn't Michael Jordan have one for a time?

I think Robert Mugabe might have as well, although that's hardly someone to emulate.

Basically, it might be okay, but only if you're not white.

So they're like fedoras then

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Babylon Astronaut posted:

I was making square tile mosaics in a video game recently (Stonehearth -- I wanted my castle floor designs to look neat) and after a certain level of complexity is reached it is very difficult to make repeating patterns that don't contain swastikas. They pop out in all sorts of ways and I had to ditch a lot of different designs as a result.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
http://www.kansas.com/news/politics-government/article88780642.html

There's this trend of state governments passing laws to prevent local governments from being reasonable and actually trying to counteract the dumb poo poo they pass. This isn't even about raising taxes, poo poo like this is specifically designed to force governments to slowly cannibalize themselves and reduce the effectiveness of services, which is then used as justification for further cuts. Laws like this fly under the radar compared to the crazy poo poo but they're far more insidious and have long reaching consequences beyond blatantly unconstitutional stunts.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

rscott posted:

There's this trend of state governments passing laws to prevent local governments from being reasonable and actually trying to counteract the dumb poo poo they pass. This isn't even about raising taxes, poo poo like this is specifically designed to force governments to slowly cannibalize themselves and reduce the effectiveness of services, which is then used as justification for further cuts. Laws like this fly under the radar compared to the crazy poo poo but they're far more insidious and have long reaching consequences beyond blatantly unconstitutional stunts.

Seeing the Kansas Policy Institute openly lie in that article gets my blood boiling. Seriously there are times when I really wouldn't mind if the communists they claim are really at the end of day taking over did, just so they would be put into a camp and be able to pay for being such worthless creatures.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Crowsbeak posted:

Seeing the Kansas Policy Institute openly lie in that article gets my blood boiling. Seriously there are times when I really wouldn't mind if the communists they claim are really at the end of day taking over did, just so they would be put into a camp and be able to pay for being such worthless creatures.

You mean in the comments? I don't see any mention of KPI in the article.

What is the KPI? Just another "think tank?"

Fake edit: yes, that law is pretty shity.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Funny how all these home rule types think it should only apply at state level.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

rscott posted:

For an average rate of inflation of 2%, if the state keeps its inflation calculation artificially low, by 2035 they'll be looking at a $70 million shortfall every year. So much for distributed decision-making! Republicans sure are fans of central planning when it benefits the capital class.

The scary thing is that most people who voted on this law probably think it is about fiscal prudence and not destroying government.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Doctor Butts posted:

Funny how all these home rule types think it should only apply at state level.

Would you prefer the sov cits , then?

I mean you seem to be trying to point out hypocrisy or something I guess but federalism is a pretty basic concept even if you disagree with it.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

rscott posted:

So there's absolutely no consideration for population growth in that formula? Is it taken as a given that people will start fleeing the state because of it's retrograde policies? Maybe I'm missing something but, if property values start to backslide, is the city going to actually have to cut it's budget?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

radical meme posted:

So there's absolutely no consideration for population growth in that formula? Is it taken as a given that people will start fleeing the state because of it's retrograde policies? Maybe I'm missing something but, if property values start to backslide, is the city going to actually have to cut it's budget?

Yeah pretty much. The meme is that the government is inherently wasteful and inefficient and any (completely valid) complaints about funding freezes for public schools and reduced budgets for anything that helps a poor person are just greedy government employees trying to waste your tax dollars.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

radical meme posted:

It's pretty much just "starve the beast" bullshit. A cornerstone of Republican philosophy is that bureaucrats will just gobble up every last dime you let them have and waste most of it. They'll spend their entire budgets every year, delving into really stupid, useless crap if they need to, just so they can ask for more next year. While that definitely does happen that isn't the entirety of what the government does and, let's face it, some government services are kind of handy but perpetually under funded.

The nastier side of it is that if you cap government spending at a local level then local governments end up having limits to what services they can provide, which can lead to things like private emergency services or for profit schools. As we all know that's a positively wonderful idea.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

rscott posted:

Jesus Christ I did not know that was a thing that was happening here. Thats insane.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

rscott posted:

Once again, horseshoe theory.

Kundus
Oct 30, 2014
Primary day in KS today. Hope y'all voted :shobon:

https://twitter.com/DecisionDeskHQ/status/760647577599520768

https://twitter.com/alexis_levinson/status/760624938768224258
There's a decent recap if you click that.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/tim-huelskamp-kansas-primary-226486
More on my soon-to-be former rep's lack of political ability.

quote:

Huelskamp and the House Freedom Caucus leaned on Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) in early July to publicize a promise they said he made last fall: That he would back reinstalling Huelskamp on the Agriculture Committee next year. Ryan’s office declined to do so.
:mmmhmm:

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Kundus posted:

Primary day in KS today. Hope y'all voted :shobon:

https://twitter.com/DecisionDeskHQ/status/760647577599520768

https://twitter.com/alexis_levinson/status/760624938768224258
There's a decent recap if you click that.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/tim-huelskamp-kansas-primary-226486
More on my soon-to-be former rep's lack of political ability.

:mmmhmm:

I did vote, I hope we'll see some positive changes come this November. If not, I'm really scared for the future of Kansas :(

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

I voted in Douglas County, pretty straightforward vote for the dem primary

Went in unaffiliated, probably should have strategically went Republican to keep the Brownbackers out- when the asked me what party I made the joke, "whichever one's more of a rager" to three unamused septuagenarians before just mumbling "uh, democrat"

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Christmas Present posted:

I voted in Douglas County, pretty straightforward vote for the dem primary

Went in unaffiliated, probably should have strategically went Republican to keep the Brownbackers out- when the asked me what party I made the joke, "whichever one's more of a rager" to three unamused septuagenarians before just mumbling "uh, democrat"

In JoCo there were literally offices that Dems are running for. I wasn't able to vote on half the ballot.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Seeing the freedom caucus eat each other has been a treat.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

SalTheBard posted:

In JoCo there were literally offices that Dems are running for. I wasn't able to vote on half the ballot.

My first election I wrote-in like half my teachers because the dems weren't running anyone.

When I was a little little kid Dennis Moore came to my house. My dad talked for a sec and Moore left. I remember my father saying something like "What shame, wonder how they tricked him into running."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Huelskamp lost!!!!!!

• Locked thread