Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
Eldritch Evolution seems like a shoe-in for abzan/4-color brood monitor combo decks. Turn your scions into cutthroats, your loam dryads into displacers and run some though-knot seers to turn into brood monitors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

It is technically card disadvantage though

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Let's all please remember that Eldritch Evolution also lets you look for creatures with less than X.

So, you can sac your Kitchen Finks with it and fetch up Melira/Anafenza/Viscera Seer.

Stupid card. Absolutely bonkers.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Count Bleck posted:

Let's all please remember that Eldritch Evolution also lets you look for creatures with less than X.

So, you can sac your Kitchen Finks with it and fetch up Melira/Anafenza/Viscera Seer.

Yeah, as I said earlier, I think I'll be testing 27 creatures 4/4/2 Coco/Chord/Evo immediately. Probably cut 1 Eternal Witness and whatever flex card that seems least useful ala Pontiff.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Count Bleck posted:

Yeah, it's not gonna be fun to play against, although the Remand play is pretty sweet though.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Count Bleck posted:

I don't think Abzan Company is going to play that card at all. I mean, it fits with the strategy overall, but its worse than Chord of Calling and worse than Collected Company.

You're talking about cutting CoCo targets to add a card that's worse than CoCo. It sounds like a game 1 strategy to go in harder on the combo, which I'm skeptical about.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 30, 2016

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Count Bleck posted:

Are you playing this over Chord or Company in that deck though? And are there really any more spots for non creature spells? I think it might fall just short of good enough for the Abzan Company deck...

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

pointsofdata posted:

It is technically card disadvantage though
Yeah I'm kindof surprised how excited people seem to be about casting Thalia for her normal cost + sacrificing a creature.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

mcmagic posted:

Are you playing this over Chord or Company in that deck though? And are there really any more spots for non creature spells? I think it might fall just short of good enough for the Abzan Company deck...

I think it could easily run 27 creatures vs. 29. Probably not a full playset at all.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

ShaneB posted:

I think it could easily run 27 creatures vs. 29. Probably not a full playset at all.

Don't forget some number of Paths....

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

mcmagic posted:

Don't forget some number of Paths....

It doesn't main deck path.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I'm not sure about it in abzan company since they get collected company, but I'm 99% confident it will go into kiki chord. Don't know how many copies though.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

ShaneB posted:

It doesn't main deck path.

Some lists do and the ones that don't need space to board into 3-4 of them.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

mcmagic posted:

Some lists do and the ones that don't need space to board into 3-4 of them.

This doesn't invalidate my statement that you could easily run fewer than 29 creatures in the most typical builds of the deck. Testing over theory craft, of course, so it will have to be seen how well it works.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Yeah I'm kindof surprised how excited people seem to be about casting Thalia for her normal cost + sacrificing a creature.

yeah i don't think anyone will use it to get thalia but turn 3 gisela seems within the realm of things someone would do with it

don't know enough about modern to say anything there

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

mandatory lesbian posted:

yeah i don't think anyone will use it to get thalia but turn 3 gisela seems within the realm of things someone would do with it

Gisela isn't good enough to just straight up play as a beater in modern.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

mcmagic posted:

'Dies to lightning bolt' is actually a huge problem.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Additionally re: Abzan Co, the matchups you bring paths in you are almost always boarding out less relevant creatures and/or parts of your combo anyway. I think mainly this just lets you combo game 1 more frequently when interaction is less frequent.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Gisela dies to Bolt so people won't be really considering her heavily in Modern. One more point of toughness and she would start showing up in Modern.

Edit:

sarmhan posted:

'Dies to lightning bolt' is actually a huge problem.

Beat me to it

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I want to cast a T2 KotR all day every day, thank you green sorcery for helping me achieve my dreams

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

ShaneB posted:

Additionally re: Abzan Co, the matchups you bring paths in you are almost always boarding out less relevant creatures and/or parts of your combo anyway. I think mainly this just lets you combo game 1 more frequently when interaction is less frequent.

You have 8 pieces for that already though... And they are all at instant speed.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

mcmagic posted:

i'm talking standard, dork

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
is there a reason all of you thought i was saying someone would do that in modern? i specifically said i didn't know enough about modern to talk about it!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

You're still 2 for 1'ing yourself. It doesn't seem great.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It seems good if you have irreplacable creatures you want more copies of (eg KotR, the eldrazi combo) or if you're abusing cost reduction mechanics to cheat out something stupid (eg Tasigur -> Reanimation target in rites, maybe Emerge -> Ulamog). But if you're just going to grab a generic value creature you should probably just play another good creature.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

mcmagic posted:

You have 8 pieces for that already though... And they are all at instant speed.

10 is more than 8

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It seems good if you have irreplacable creatures you want more copies of (eg KotR, the eldrazi combo) or if you're abusing cost reduction mechanics to cheat out something stupid (eg Tasigur -> Reanimation target in rites, maybe Emerge -> Ulamog). But if you're just going to grab a generic value creature you should probably just play another good creature.

yeah okay that's a good point

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Would an additional cost that triggers an ability, say, persist, make the persist trigger go on the stack on top of Evolution?

Because I'm thinking dumb things like Sac Finks to Evolution, find Melira, persist resolves Finks comes back with no -1/-1 counter.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

Would an additional cost that triggers an ability, say, persist, make the persist trigger go on the stack on top of Evolution?

Because I'm thinking dumb things like Sac Finks to Evolution, find Melira, persist resolves Finks comes back with no -1/-1 counter.

The Finks will persist first since it's written as a cost on the card I think.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yeah, just like how pod worked, basically. The persist trigger resolves first.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Oh i'm sure there will be a White Green deck with NewPod and Traverse featuring prominently so long as there are decent Delirium enablers. You get to run alot of one of toolbox cards like the new Thalia. Gisela will for sure be in that deck. She and Thalia crush aggro forever.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

TheKingofSprings posted:

This is correct.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Reference to Make a Wish

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Reference to Make a Wish

Grapple is VERY good.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

mcmagic posted:

Grapple is VERY good.

Corpse Churn was nothing special (didn't bring back lands)

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Rinkles posted:

Yeah grapples is servicable but nothing special

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Fixing your mana is a big deal.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Not to mention Delirium is a thing.

Oh and that is a neat progression of the art. The warped little girl and her toy.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Rinkles posted:

Reference to Make a Wish

That poor girl. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

mcmagic posted:

Yeah I'm with you on this one. Card is good.

I tested GB delirium every which way in the current format and this card is going to be MUCH better than Corpse Churn.

• Locked thread