Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I really can't play without autolabor and TWBT. I'm spoiled rotten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

It's practically a wedding simulator.

:golfclap: this. This right here.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
Okay I have a military question. right now I already a commander who leads a squad and then another squad. I want to make another squad, but I can't find the option. When I'm in the positions screen and I'm on the 2nd squad, it gives me the option to "l: create squad appointed by this leader". In addition I only have a commander in the nobles screen and an open position for a militia captain. Do I need to promote someone from my second squad to this position?

Oh, okay, now that I'm looking at it I just realized that the second squad is the captain of the guard's squad. I was planning on making them axedwarves. But does this mean they're going to be slicing everyone's heads off if they misbehave? Right now they only have wooden axes. I may have to redo this.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I thought larger embarks were one of the many processor-bound limits, though, especially since the addition of blooming trees.

A 64bit DF will allow you to allocate more memory for more stuff that your CPU won't be able to calculate!

Anyway, I recently upgraded to an i5 6600k, and I'm shocked to be getting playable framerates on a 5×5 embark with 150 dorfs even after a decade of game time and with every dorf hoarding clothing like a madman. On my previous computer I probably wouldn't have been able to get past 2FPS with the same settings!

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jun 27, 2016

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

bollig posted:

Okay I have a military question. right now I already a commander who leads a squad and then another squad. I want to make another squad, but I can't find the option. When I'm in the positions screen and I'm on the 2nd squad, it gives me the option to "l: create squad appointed by this leader". In addition I only have a commander in the nobles screen and an open position for a militia captain. Do I need to promote someone from my second squad to this position?

Oh, okay, now that I'm looking at it I just realized that the second squad is the captain of the guard's squad. I was planning on making them axedwarves. But does this mean they're going to be slicing everyone's heads off if they misbehave? Right now they only have wooden axes. I may have to redo this.

You have to add a new commander on the Nobles screen before you can create a new squad.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

d...

double feature

Threetoe posted:

We've posted the new development page with artifacts and myths. This is the culmination of years of work on Dwarf Fortress and our other projects which never saw the light of day. We've been playing around with magic systems for years, ever since DRAGSLAY.BAS, and are looking forward to finally being able to place the dwarves into a more meaningful, mysterious and exciting universe!

Toady One posted:

We'll start in on an artifact release once the 64-bit versions are complete. We might get away with one release there, but the myth/magic dev items will almost certainly happen over multiple releases, and we won't get to everything on the first pass.

Work on the 64-bit version is ongoing. So far we have a windows test version and a linux test version. Here's [urlhttp://bay12games.com/dwarves/redist/df_sdl_32_wintest.zip]a 32-bit Windows version[/url] that should clean up some DLL issues. We should be almost through with Mac as well -- just need to clean up the sound library situation.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
Wizards that wander

Wizards that live in isolation

Wizards that form groups

Your basic wizard choices

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

reading that feature list, i can only think about that one salvador dalí quote

the only difference between toady and a madman is that he isn't mad

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Dwarves will be able to rewrite the fabric of reality before they figure out how to take care of animals.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I'm thinking about getting back into this game, but I now have a 1440p monitor instead of the 1080p one I was using before, and the tiles were already giving me slight eyestrain. I haven't checked the forums, are there larger graphical tilesets now? Something like.. I don't know, 24 or 32pix or even larger? I was using Phoebus before but it's only 16x16 and doesn't look like it's being updated anymore either.

e.

Arven posted:

You can zoom in and make the tiles as large as you want with the mousewheel

This never worked for me in 0.34 for some dumb reason. I guess it works in 0.40? I'll try it out.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jun 29, 2016

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Ambaire posted:

I'm thinking about getting back into this game, but I now have a 1440p monitor instead of the 1080p one I was using before, and the tiles were already giving me slight eyestrain. I haven't checked the forums, are there larger graphical tilesets now? Something like.. I don't know, 24 or 32pix or even larger? I was using Phoebus before but it's only 16x16 and doesn't look like it's being updated anymore either.

You can zoom in and make the tiles as large as you want with the mousewheel

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Ambaire posted:

I guess it works in 0.40?

Up to 0.43 now, actually. And it should work.

There are a couple larger graphic sets on the forums. 24x24 is most common, but there's a 32x32 work-in-progress (may be stalled?) and a 64x64 ASCII.

tilp
Apr 7, 2010

scamtank posted:

reading that feature list, i can only think about that one salvador dalí quote

the only difference between toady and a madman is that he isn't mad

The list is absolutely extraordinary. The amazing thing is that you can genuinely imagine him just sitting down and doing it.

Unrelatedly... is there a way to make water not be transparent in TWBT? I love the multilevel mapping but seeing all the junk at the bottom of my beautiful circular moat irritates me too much to use it.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
I've been playing this for a p long time and it's pretty incredible how far it has come and how far it probably will go.

Is it still the case that 1 male can impregnate a bunch of female animals (llamas in this case)? Assuming that they can touch.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
As long as the llama in question isn't gay or asexual.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Can't wait to have a magical bleak world that has no death.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
YES

How long do you guys think this 64 bit conversion will take? He's not going to be adding any subsystems it seems so I'm not sure how he can get sidetracked

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
I just picked this up for the first time in a few years and tried out adventurer mode.

Maybe I should stop. :allears:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Meldonox posted:

I just picked this up for the first time in a few years and tried out adventurer mode.

Maybe I should stop. :allears:

have you tried telling people that their values and dearest beliefs are full of poo poo yet

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

bollig posted:

I've been playing this for a p long time and it's pretty incredible how far it has come and how far it probably will go.

Is it still the case that 1 male can impregnate a bunch of female animals (llamas in this case)? Assuming that they can touch.

Considering that's how most animals work in the real world, I'd be concerned if that wasn't the case.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Helical Nightmares posted:

YES

How long do you guys think this 64 bit conversion will take? He's not going to be adding any subsystems it seems so I'm not sure how he can get sidetracked

There's a test build.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Helical Nightmares posted:

YES

As long as he doesn't use any strange memory management tricks or bitpacking things in weird places, doesn't use assembly code, and all his dependencies (mainly SDL) are already 64 bit compatible, it's as simple as pushing a different button and it just works. SDL does support 64 bit, and Tarn isn't one to do any of the other things, so there probably won't be any trouble.

E: Also, from the development page:

quote:

• Punishment
    • Branding (requires wounds to support art image from crafts)
Someone will devise a way to have anyone who moves into a fortress be branded!

nielsm fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jun 30, 2016

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Gibbo posted:

Considering that's how most animals work in the real world, I'd be concerned if that wasn't the case.

Many farm animals, yes. But some animals form lifelong mating pairs, which seems like the sort of thing that might be implemented.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

nielsm posted:

Someone will devise a way to have anyone who moves into a fortress be branded!

I hope dwarves will get a permanent happy thought from admiring the masterful image of their favorite wheel of cheese branded onto their upper body.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

getting branded with an image of themselves getting branded with an image of themselves getting branded with an image of themselv

1:1 scale

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Am I correct that the best way to get to the adamantine veins in lava is to make a bunch of channels and turn the area into lakes so they drop water onto the lava and turn it into obsidian, which lets me dig around the outsides? It doesn't look like I can pump lava out of the lava sea since it looks like it covers most of the map including edges, unless there is a faster trick I don't know about.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

scamtank posted:

getting branded with an image of themselves getting branded with an image of themselves getting branded with an image of themselv

1:1 scale

I think we call that a crematorium

Also a thing DF people are likely to implement (and already have if lava counts)

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
If Lava counts then I cremate lots of things. Refuse, Nobles, Goblinite Veins.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jul 1, 2016

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Hey, lads. TWBT for v0.43.03 (DFHack version alpha1) all up ons

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm honestly surprised that tattooing isn't a thing for the dwarves yet

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I think it's called engraving.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I'm intrigued by the creation settings on that feature list. Magic, Randomness and Hostility could make for some very unique games if nothing is able to fight, or dogs have toxic quills or something.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Johnny Joestar posted:

i'm honestly surprised that tattooing isn't a thing for the dwarves yet

Obviously the magic update will include magic tats

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Pyroi posted:

Obviously the magic update will include magic tats

Misread that as 'magic hats', but still agreed.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Zomborgon posted:

I think we call that a crematorium

Also a thing DF people are likely to implement (and already have if lava counts)
Also already exists in Masterwork, if not other mods, where it's one of my favorite sources for ash and charcoal. Combine it with a reaction to press coke to diamonds, and I've got the blingiest fortress around.

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.

bollig posted:

Same. I've been playing this game just under 10 years. I think I started playing when the first alpha was released actually. I was about 13 at the time and had just started lurking on SA.

I'm 23 now (24 soon) and completely amazed by the progress toady has made in 10 years and how fun the game still is to play 9 years later.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Awesome, thanks. I've been spoiled by DFhack and TWBT :negative:

Werecreature before I'm ready? Encased in obsidian with 'liquids.'

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Toady is the strongest supporting evidence we have for the theory that we exist within a simulation.

I think the last time I really played in any depth was about six or seven years ago. I understand there have been some pretty goddamn significant changes since then. I'm probably going to dive in blind with a new fortress this weekend and I really hope that doing so recaptures some of that original magic and ends in as catastrophic a failure as my first fort did all those years ago.

Is there any reason to speak of not to use the Lazy Newb Pack? I saw its DF version is a few months out of date, but is it a big enough deal to go to the trouble of assembling stuff myself instead?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
The starter pack guy waits for a stable DFHack release for official stuff, but he posts alphas in the thread if you read from the end. May be one for 43.03 now that TWBT has an alpha but I can't check right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DayGloOreo
May 2, 2012

Fblthp had always hated crowds.

Dev Page posted:

• Intelligent and semi-intelligent artifacts
  • Automatons and magical prostheses

I'm hyped to play as a wizard with a magical peg leg.