Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
What's an Imperial Count? Is he like a normal Count except that the Emperor is his direct overlord?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Hogge Wild posted:

What's an Imperial Count? Is he like a normal Count except that the Emperor is his direct overlord?
as far as i know, everything that's prefaced with imperial is that
imperial abbeys, convents, knights, counts, etc

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

HEY GAL posted:

as far as i know, everything that's prefaced with imperial is that
imperial abbeys, convents, knights, counts, etc

I wonder if Imperial Villagers thought themselves higher than ordinary peasants.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Not that it really matters because the figures in the photo really represent everyone who fought in the Pacific in WWII yadda yadda, but the Marine Corps just made the move everyone's been expecting and officially announced the corpsman John Bradley wasn't in the Iwo flagraising photo.

e: To be clear, he wasn't in the famous Rosenthal photo.

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jun 30, 2016

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ArchangeI posted:

I wonder if Imperial Villagers thought themselves higher than ordinary peasants.

Well, they were probably less heavily taxed, so maybe?

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
It's all about titles around here. Always has been.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Nebakenezzer posted:

Part of the inspiration for Cryptonomicon, I think, came from the discovery of I-101, a sunken IJN submarine. She was in the Atlantic sailing to France when she was intercepted and sunk by USN warplanes. On-board she had (among other things) 2.2 tons of gold, which in today's prices would be worth $84,806,849 in US dollars. It's still there, sunk in the mid-Atlantic. There's a guy who's lead at least one expedition to the sub, but all they recovered was a several pound block of opium.

Opium, huh? What were they paying Göring off for? Did he talk Hitler into declaring war on the US or something?

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
Was opium consumed widely by the IJN/IJA?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

TropicalCoke posted:

if i had to guess, i'd say they were buying something in someone's black market

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Gotta have something to do on those long trips. Especially before VCRs and smart phones to keep the sailors entertained.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Deteriorata posted:

Yeah, shooting officers is an old strategy. In the early ACW, it was "shoot the guys on horses" because they were officers (excepting cavalry, of course). They learned to stay dismounted as much as possible, and eventually to wear ratty old coats so they didn't stand out.

I'm sure it was the same in other conflicts. Whatever distinguished the guys giving orders, shoot them first so the infantry doesn't know what to do.

Yeah, there were various cases on the American Revolution of frontiersmen snipers shooting mounted officers from afar and that carrying out to the ACW where a good chunk of artillery commanders and cavalry officers on both sides got leaded.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Yeah, there were various cases on the American Revolution of frontiersmen snipers shooting mounted officers from afar and that carrying out to the ACW where a good chunk of artillery commanders and cavalry officers on both sides got leaded.

And sometimes directly hit with a cannonball and messily blown almost in half.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

MrMojok posted:

Not that it really matters because the figures in the photo really represent everyone who fought in the Pacific in WWII yadda yadda, but the Marine Corps just made the move everyone's been expecting and officially announced the corpsman John Bradley wasn't in the Iwo flagraising photo.

e: To be clear, he wasn't in the famous Rosenthal photo.
which reminds me--Ensign Expendable, I know a relative of yours was on the Reichstag roof when they raised the Soviet flag on it, but are they in that one photo?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

dublish posted:

Opium, huh? What were they paying Göring off for? Did he talk Hitler into declaring war on the US or something?

I do love the idea of Goering getting a bulk shipment of opium from Japan by submarine

But I'd say it was for making morphine. I'm looking for a manifest right now, but Japan typically shipped the most valuble stuff the Germans couldn't get. On another Sub that managed to get to France, the manifest was: 80 tons of raw rubber, 80 tons of tungsten, 50 tons of tin, two tons of zinc, and three tons each of quinine, opium, and coffee.

The coffee was probably just for Nazi elite

e: here we go

quote:

Her cargo from Japan included 9.8 tons of molybdenum, 11 tons of tungsten, 2.2 tons of gold in 146 bars packed in 49 metal boxes, 3 tons of opium and 54 kg of caffeine.[4] The gold was payment for German optical technology. She also carried 14 passengers, primarily Japanese technicians, who were to study German technology in anti-aircraft guns, and engines for torpedo boats.

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jun 30, 2016

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Guys, guys, let's get me a robe of the shiniest possible yellow silk, then y'all can carry me on our biggest, most ornate and colorfully lacquered palanquin. Those dudes over there with the wall gun are are going to be sooooo jealous.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Nebakenezzer posted:

I do love the idea of Goering getting a bulk shipment of opium from Japan by submarine

But I'd say it was for making morphine. I'm looking for a manifest right now, but Japan typically shipped the most valuble stuff the Germans couldn't get. On another Sub that managed to get to France, the manifest was: 80 tons of raw rubber, 80 tons of tungsten, 50 tons of tin, two tons of zinc, and three tons each of quinine, opium, and coffee.
the nazis really were running on fumes weren't they, they've got their friends passing them rubber in the back of the room while the teacher isn't looking

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

quote:

One of the enduring legends of the Civil War is that Polk witnessed his subordinate, Maj. Gen. Benjamin F. Cheatham, advancing his division. Cheatham allegedly shouted, "Give 'em hell, boys!" and Polk, retaining the sensibility of his role as an Episcopal bishop, seconded the cheer: "Give it to 'em boys; give 'em what General Cheatham says!"[12]

Hahaha aww

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

HEY GAL posted:

which reminds me--Ensign Expendable, I know a relative of yours was on the Reichstag roof when they raised the Soviet flag on it, but are they in that one photo?

His battalion took the Reichstag, I don't know where he was personally. Also by that one photo, I assume you mean of Yegorov and Kantaria. They raised the flag on May 1st, my grandfather's battalion did it on April 30th. Also the famous photo was a reenactment taken after the fact.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

HEY GAL posted:

the nazis really were running on fumes weren't they, they've got their friends passing them rubber in the back of the room while the teacher isn't looking

You know they are just doodling preposterous supertanks again

Ultratanks

OneTruePecos
Oct 24, 2010

ArchangeI posted:

Has there ever been a case where people didn't seize on a reason to look down at other people?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

TropicalCoke posted:

From what i've read IJN sailors mainly liked getting really, really drunk. Dunno about the army.

RogueTM
Jul 8, 2004

Hmmmmm

Nebakenezzer posted:

Part of the inspiration for Cryptonomicon, I think, came from the discovery of I-101, a sunken IJN submarine. She was in the Atlantic sailing to France when she was intercepted and sunk by USN warplanes. On-board she had (among other things) 2.2 tons of gold, which in today's prices would be worth $84,806,849 in US dollars. It's still there, sunk in the mid-Atlantic. There's a guy who's lead at least one expedition to the sub, but all they recovered was a several pound block of opium.

Don't you mean I-52?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_submarine_I-52_(1942)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Fangz posted:

No, this is wrong. A WWII sword is a personal defence weapon designed primarily to embody some kind of ceremonial tradition, with the benefit of being relatively convenient to carry strapped to one's waist in one's daily life. There's lots of compromises there as well. It should be no surprise that the main battlefield weapon in traditional Japanese warfare is actually the spear.
Didn't samurai when actually being people fighting on battlefields act primarily as mounted archers?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Zereth posted:

Didn't samurai when actually being people fighting on battlefields act primarily as mounted archers?

I think it was both, but the bushido sword thing is definitely a 19th century invention just like everything else in pop history/culture/national creation myth.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
Swords are a symbol of class and status because they cost a lot more than a spear, and that's probably why they're so uniformly associated with nobility across a range of cultures. I think that was a pretty strong element throughout a long span of Japanese history, but also why they become a fixation for later Romantics who care a lot about idealizing or re-awakening a class.

Disinterested fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jul 1, 2016

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Zereth posted:

It's a bit like saying lorica segmentata is the 'traditional armor' of the conderottoi or the Brown Bess is the traditional weapon of the British infantryman but yeah, mounted archery was the main way samurai fought for a good chunk of their existence. At the last part of the Sengoku they were rocking pike blocks and gunlines though, which as has been noted is God's Own Way of War.

Disinterested posted:

Swords are a symbol of class and status because they cost a lot more than a spear, and that's probably why they're so uniformly associated with nobility across a range of cultures. I think that was a pretty strong element throughout a long span of Japanese history, but also why they become a fixation for later Romantics who care a lot about idealizing or re-awakening a class.

Yes and no. I think the really important part is they they literally and actually become the marker of class in the Edo Period. The Tokugawa shoguns put a hard lock on all class movement a rolled out pretty sweeping laws on behavior. Samurai were required to carry two swords in the same way Jews had to wear red hats. They were meanwhile limited to a pretty narrow band of economic activities and made wholly reliant on their lords for support. Less about a reawakening more a very firm fixture in place.

You've got some fun cases like Yukichi Fukuza (who wrote an excellent and rather candor autobiography) where he details, among other things, pawning off his swords and going around with bamboo in his sheathes. This wasn't terribly uncommon but if we was ever caught doing that he'd have been in a world of trouble.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

And by the Sengoku Jidai, you didn't really have samurai squaring off for duels for the most part. Instead, you have large formations of trained peasants armed with a large variety of weapons. The samurai in this era aren't as strictly defined a group as they once were or later will be. Unfortunately I don't know enough of the details such as troop makeup. I imagine samurai were typically in positions as officers as well as forming a strong corps of reliable veterans.

Part of the reforms involved in putting the era of violence behind them was the sword hunt. It wasn't unusual for people to be armed with all manner of weapons then because they'd want to defend themselves. Peasants were pretty much left to fend for themselves. By restricting swords to just samurai, they disarmed large parts of the population. Other common weapons like spears and firearms, while still dangerous, weren't nearly as effective as a personal defense weapon. This is also partly where the story/myth of the women of samurai clans wielding naginatas came into being, because the men all had their swords, while a woman would only have whatever family heirlooms/relics leftover. Thus, they'd defend the home with whatever they had, the popular depiction being a naginata. It's bigger and heavier than a sword but a far better weapon in wars involving large formations.

Samurai as mounted archers dates back to their origins but it was hardly the only thing they did. I don't think there was much in the way of mounted archery in Japan by the time of the Sengoku Jidai but again, I don't know enough to really give a solid answer. I don't think Japanese mounted archery ever became as effective as on the continent and that's at least partly because as time went on, the practice became less and less a part of their livelihood.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Throatwarbler posted:

I think it was both, but the bushido sword thing is definitely a 19th century invention just like everything else in pop history/culture/national creation myth.

Again, no, Japan spent a good bit of time driving away from swords (symbol of a barbaric past see, highly unmodern) before seesawing back to Nippon Superiority.Banning the wearing of swords was a big part of the 19th century nation building project.

Katana's were in fact a big loving deal and swords were a big loving deal in the west too; I feel like this is one of those things where the *aha* pop-hist-isn't-true counter story has swung a bit too far the other way.

Like, knights didn't need to be winched onto their horses, but there are a few recorded places where armor does prove to be a detriment in it's weight and people did start moving away from full plate and into more stripped down essentials only type armor even in times when getting stabbed was a very real concern.

the JJ fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jul 1, 2016

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Argas posted:

And by the Sengoku Jidai, you didn't really have samurai squaring off for duels for the most part. Instead, you have large formations of trained peasants armed with a large variety of weapons. The samurai in this era aren't as strictly defined a group as they once were or later will be. Unfortunately I don't know enough of the details such as troop makeup. I imagine samurai were typically in positions as officers as well as forming a strong corps of reliable veterans.

Part of the reforms involved in putting the era of violence behind them was the sword hunt. It wasn't unusual for people to be armed with all manner of weapons then because they'd want to defend themselves. Peasants were pretty much left to fend for themselves. By restricting swords to just samurai, they disarmed large parts of the population. Other common weapons like spears and firearms, while still dangerous, weren't nearly as effective as a personal defense weapon. This is also partly where the story/myth of the women of samurai clans wielding naginatas came into being, because the men all had their swords, while a woman would only have whatever family heirlooms/relics leftover. Thus, they'd defend the home with whatever they had, the popular depiction being a naginata. It's bigger and heavier than a sword but a far better weapon in wars involving large formations.

Samurai as mounted archers dates back to their origins but it was hardly the only thing they did. I don't think there was much in the way of mounted archery in Japan by the time of the Sengoku Jidai but again, I don't know enough to really give a solid answer. I don't think Japanese mounted archery ever became as effective as on the continent and that's at least partly because as time went on, the practice became less and less a part of their livelihood.

The samurai are in this weird position where at times it's both a job description and a social class but yes as the Sengoku Jidai went by there were peasants in the mix. Hideyoshi (who ordered the most famous sword hunt!) was for instance a sandal boy before his rise to power. Still, there were more samurai than just an officer class.

Also of note, we call it a "sword hunt" because that's a literal translation of the symbols but 'weapon confiscation' or 'disarmament campaign' might be a better translation,* and it wasn't just about taking swords from peasants, but about taking weapons including, e.g. assloads of muskets, shitloads of spears, etc. etc. from would be enemies of the new regime.

Mounted archery (and riding in general, and archery in general, in fact) is one of those things which can really dominate a battlefield when done well but takes a lot of training to get to the point where someone can be good enough to compete. Some places got around this by just living the cavalry way of life day to day (Mongols, people in Hey Gal's era thought of light-cavalry-ness as almost an inborn/cultural/ethic trait that couldn't be trained or drilled.) Others did it by developing a military class (sipahis, samurai, knights are an example of a similar class though obviously with less of a mounted archer type focus)

Mounted archers fall off in the era of pike and shot though.

*I find the habit of 'exotic' translations an interesting issue when dealing with East Asian histories.

the JJ fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jul 1, 2016

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
elites within the professional military are probably trained in and can afford multiple weapons, and will use whichever is most tactically appropriate

Phobophilia fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jul 1, 2016

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
If you’re into WWII history and need a job, you might be interested in working as the Historic Preservation Officer in the Northern Mariana Islands, which include Saipan and Tinian.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Phobophilia posted:

elites within the professional military are probably trained in and can afford multiple weapons, and will use whichever is most tactically appropriate. the sword has alot of cultural significance, but the other weapons are more important on the battlefield

Eeeeeeeh I'd contest that, I guess. Especially "the other weapons are more important on the battlefield." We have plenty of records of plenty of armies that looked at what they had and went 'yup, swords are what I want here.'

Celtic warriors, viking raiders, Roman legionnaires, Aztecs putting stone flakes on their clubs, oodles of cavalrymen from crusaders to cuirassier etc. etc. It wasn't an every tool for every moment but there were definitely times when that was the weapon to have, or the weapon you'd want to have if you could afford it.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

the JJ posted:

*I find the habit of 'exotic' translations an interesting issue when dealing with East Asian histories.
i will deliberately use them when talking about 17th century germans, in order to drive home that they are a different world from ours. "Soldiers" sounds like soldiers; "War People," the literal etymology of that, sounds like anthropology.

edit: Speaking of, germans are where we got the word Warlord, it's a calque from "Kriegsherr."

edit 2: I think. English Wikipedia says it's the other way around, so :shrug:

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jul 1, 2016

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

the JJ posted:

(Mongols, people in Hey Gal's era thought of light-cavalry-ness as almost an inborn/cultural/ethic trait that couldn't be trained or drilled.)
which is why Frederick the Great consistently got his rear end kicked at light cav by Russians and the Austro Hungarian Empire. At one point, when they were not at war, he asked Catherine the Great to sell him a small population of Cossacks so he could settle them on his dominions and let them increase in population. She refused.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

chitoryu12 posted:

Considering what the past Battlefield and Call of Duty games did, I'm wondering if we're suddenly going to see airsoft MP 18s and 12-year-olds wearing Doughboy helmets and holding bayonets in Facebook profile pictures.

Those already exist though? :confused:

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

the JJ posted:

The samurai are in this weird position where at times it's both a job description and a social class but yes as the Sengoku Jidai went by there were peasants in the mix. Hideyoshi (who ordered the most famous sword hunt!) was for instance a sandal boy before his rise to power. Still, there were more samurai than just an officer class.

Also of note, we call it a "sword hunt" because that's a literal translation of the symbols but 'weapon confiscation' or 'disarmament campaign' might be a better translation,* and it wasn't just about taking swords from peasants, but about taking weapons including, e.g. assloads of muskets, shitloads of spears, etc. etc. from would be enemies of the new regime.

Mounted archery (and riding in general, and archery in general, in fact) is one of those things which can really dominate a battlefield when done well but takes a lot of training to get to the point where someone can be good enough to compete. Some places got around this by just living the cavalry way of life day to day (Mongols, people in Hey Gal's era thought of light-cavalry-ness as almost an inborn/cultural/ethic trait that couldn't be trained or drilled.) Others did it by developing a military class (sipahis, samurai, knights are an example of a similar class though obviously with less of a mounted archer type focus)

Mounted archers fall off in the era of pike and shot though.

Good to know, I wasn't aware that it was a literal translation. I didn't meant to imply they only went after swords, just that the general disarmament was one of the things that led up to the mythologization of Japanese swords because the samurai were allowed to keep theirs.

I always found it funny that Hideyoshi couldn't become shogun because of his commoner background, but there's no issue with him becoming the regent and chancellor.

I'll have to ask my friend for further elaboration but he noted a trend in the shape of Japanese swords. Swords tended to be shorter during eras of war and got the stereotypical katana-length in peacetime.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Argas posted:

Good to know, I wasn't aware that it was a literal translation. I didn't meant to imply they only went after swords, just that the general disarmament was one of the things that led up to the mythologization of Japanese swords because the samurai were allowed to keep theirs.

I always found it funny that Hideyoshi couldn't become shogun because of his commoner background, but there's no issue with him becoming the regent and chancellor.

I'll have to ask my friend for further elaboration but he noted a trend in the shape of Japanese swords. Swords tended to be shorter during eras of war and got the stereotypical katana-length in peacetime.

Possibly, there are different evolutionary pressures going on. Peacetime swords would have been for show, or at most for duels and street brawls. I can imagine the expectation of heavier use, the presence of armor and the possibility of use on horseback to push for a different set of standards.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

the JJ posted:

Possibly, there are different evolutionary pressures going on. Peacetime swords would have been for show, or at most for duels and street brawls. I can imagine the expectation of heavier use, the presence of armor and the possibility of use on horseback to push for a different set of standards.

Could it be in any way related to the way the arming sword (?) in Europe gradually turned into ludicrously long rapiers? IE for military sidearm use you need something short and choppy, but in duels being able to stick the other guy first is a real advantage, so you want a longer blade, even if you lose most of your slashiness.

I probably just got a lot of stuff wrong.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

the JJ posted:

Again, no, Japan spent a good bit of time driving away from swords (symbol of a barbaric past see, highly unmodern) before seesawing back to Nippon Superiority.Banning the wearing of swords was a big part of the 19th century nation building project.
19th century Japanese swords are pretty interesting. Only police, the military and such got to wear swords, and their swords were largely modelled on European sabres, since those were still very much in vogue. This resulted in neat things, like mounting old katana blades in western-style hilts with gilding and backstraps and knucklebows:

They'd also mass-produce new katana-style blades for swords, because the military needed an assload of swords and only so many officers had a spare katana of their own lying around.

Later they developed a cavalry sabre, which... Was just a cavalry sabre, really.

The hilt is really plain compared to contemporary British models, but I like how it fits together really neatly.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jul 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazzard
Mar 16, 2013
Where did all these Katina and samurai myths come from? I read someone claiming that Samurai refused to use spears, because they were a peasant's weapon.

And how long were Karna's generally?
I remember numbers saying a tango was 30cm, wakizashi (the second sword samurai carried) was 60, katana was 90, tachi was 120, No-Dachi (which I think translates as big sword, so Hey Gal's guys use no-dachis) were 150, but that seems far too neat, even assuming they vary by a few cm.

And how common was carrying a Daisho? I get it was a ceremonial thing, but it seems impractical.

• Locked thread