Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Triskelli posted:

Eighth Edition, which TW:WH is based on. There's a special rule called Vampiric that keeps them from crumbling when the general dies. I guess leadership tests still caused a drop in health.

Yeah, that was in other editions too. Vampiric units crumble slower after the general's death but still fall under the usual undead rules about not taking break tests and just take a no saves wound per point they lost combat by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
From the update

quote:

Campaign AI is now less likely to offer money and more likely to sign more alliances.

Seems like this would help the Empire the most? I wonder if it affects trade agreements.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Of course they nerf my tormentor sword and leave the helm of U-luse as is.

ditty bout my clitty fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 30, 2016

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Having decided now was a good time to start a Vampire Campaign+blood, definitely seeing some new events, both the bloody DLC variety and the Orc respawn one.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is the DirectX 12 Beta only for AMD cards? The option is greyed out for me and I use an NVIDIA GTX 960

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Having multiple casters in an army seems prohibitive since they share the same pool of magic. The only exception is possibly VCs because being able to use Invocation of Nehek on two blobs of units simultaneously is probably worth it.

Do Runesmiths share cooldowns? If they don't, I could see having two Runesmiths more worth it because they could buff armor/ward saves almost continuously.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Panfilo posted:

Having multiple casters in an army seems prohibitive since they share the same pool of magic. The only exception is possibly VCs because being able to use Invocation of Nehek on two blobs of units simultaneously is probably worth it.

Do Runesmiths share cooldowns? If they don't, I could see having two Runesmiths more worth it because they could buff armor/ward saves almost continuously.
Running multiple Vampires is (was?) totally worth it in campaign for being able to spam Bjuna/Leech really quickly. Once they get decently leveled they each bring +15 to your reserve (so 2 casts of leech or 1 of Bjuna) and they can fight well unlike the other casters. I can't see anyone else bringing multiple casters with much frequency, though.

Why do Vampires get lore of Death and Necros get Lore of Vampires anyhow? There's literally no reason to build Necromancers as anything but economy agents that I can see; your lord has Vampire Lore covered and your Vampire heroes have Death.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
LOL at all the mewling turds on Steam whining about the cost of this DLC. OH MY GOD 3 DOLLARS HOW loving DARE YOU!

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Arcsquad12 posted:

Is the DirectX 12 Beta only for AMD cards? The option is greyed out for me and I use an NVIDIA GTX 960

Same issue here, 970 on win 10, up to date drivers and the option is grayed out.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Panfilo posted:

No, rune abilities are tied to the character. Definitely worth having two.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I'm curious if the blood animations will have any effect on the effectiveness of units due to animation lock (particularly large units like the giant).

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Ravenfood posted:

Running multiple Vampires is (was?) totally worth it in campaign for being able to spam Bjuna/Leech really quickly. Once they get decently leveled they each bring +15 to your reserve (so 2 casts of leech or 1 of Bjuna) and they can fight well unlike the other casters. I can't see anyone else bringing multiple casters with much frequency, though.

Why do Vampires get lore of Death and Necros get Lore of Vampires anyhow? There's literally no reason to build Necromancers as anything but economy agents that I can see; your lord has Vampire Lore covered and your Vampire heroes have Death.

Lore of vampires is more accurately necromancy which isn't the same as death magic. All of their legendary lords or generals use necromancy to create the undead armies, so thematically anyone capable of being a general has access to the lore. Necromancers also get it. Vampires don't just to distinguish them and give them a more unique role.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I'm curious if the blood animations will have any effect on the effectiveness of units due to animation lock (particularly large units like the giant).

Nah, those animations already existed they were just less gory.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

queeb posted:

Same issue here, 970 on win 10, up to date drivers and the option is grayed out.

Weird. I'd expect lower frame rate gains but not outright greying out. I'm assuming there's some sort of beta activation thing and you did it? Maybe a beta opt in through steam?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Does effects quality affect the gore effects? I remember Attila had blood sprays on the actual landscape, but in warhams it looks more like the medieval 2 battle damaged unit look.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

BLOOD

Why won't you die?

Better cover that head

Instagib landing

A Vampire Lord's Wind of Death rips through a poor quarreler, brutal.

MY BREATH IS DEATH

FIRE AND BLOOD

Blood spurts from a Greatswordsman after an unsuccesful duel with a Manticore

What could this be!?

dear god sigmar

Chunks of frozen blood shatter under the Giant's ice breath

A stray hellcannon shot obliterates a group of Greatswords

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

xthetenth posted:

Weird. I'd expect lower frame rate gains but not outright greying out. I'm assuming there's some sort of beta activation thing and you did it? Maybe a beta opt in through steam?

Yeah, it's just an option on the launcher and in game. says you need win 10 and a dx12 graphics card. and the card is on the list they support. weird.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I checked the CA website and it had a list of cards compatible for dx12. The 960 and 970 are on there. There is a second column however for some feature not sure what that says yes beside each amd card and no beside each Nvidia card.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
OK so does anyone have some starting tips for a newbie player? The advisor is asking me to start a war with a faction I've never met before while I still have all of one army and that seems... a bit dumb, to be honest.

Edit: Suppose I should specify that I'm playing empire.

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jun 30, 2016

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

OK so does anyone have some starting tips for a newbie player? The advisor is asking me to start a war with a faction I've never met before while I still have all of one army and that seems... a bit dumb, to be honest.

Always start a second army turn 1

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

I checked the CA website and it had a list of cards compatible for dx12. The 960 and 970 are on there. There is a second column however for some feature not sure what that says yes beside each amd card and no beside each Nvidia card.

Asynchronous Compute is what you're seeing. For whatever reason, they didn't enable it for Nvidia cards (probably because the 700/900 series is apparently pretty poo poo at it).

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

You've got a good eye for photos, Militant! The blood seems cartoonish as gently caress but those dudes getting obliterated by axes and doom fire are all deserving of the gibbing!

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
What kind of events is the blood DLC adding to the campaign?

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

xthetenth posted:

Select DX12 mode from the launcher that pops up when you start the game from steam

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ilustforponydeath posted:

Select DX12 mode from the launcher that pops up when you start the game from steam

That option is greyed out as well as the ingame menu

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Yeah, dual 760s here and the DX12 option is greyed out for me as well.

Maybe they're relying heavily on async compute and are just flat out disabling it unless your card is good at it (i.e., unless it's any of AMD's recent offerings or a Pascal card)?

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Arcsquad12 posted:

That option is greyed out as well as the ingame menu

I'm using a 970 with the latest non-beta drivers for the record.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
Does windows 10 cause issues with gaming? I know that 8 had big compatibility issues for a while, but I've been thinking of upgrading to 10 to be able to use DX12. Anyone have advice on whether or not it's worth it?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

W10's been fine so far, and DX12 looks to be a big boost for this.

I'd guess that their non-async compute codepath isn't done yet, and turning it on causes a performance regression on pre-Pascal NV cards, so they aren't giving the option yet. I know Ashes of the singularity has a non-async codepath for those cards that's actually the only vendor specific code. Also I'm going to be smug about flipping my 970 for a 290 when there were good deals.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
Noticed quite a drop in performance, and ive had one crash already.. not so good for me, thinking i need to upgrade over here and for the first time ever im actually considering AMD over nvidia/intel.

Im with a 970 on a 2500k i5 OC'd to 4.5 GHZ if that helps.. also just using Win 7 64 bit so not even elligible for DX12.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
So the new blood DLC adds new campaign events to "encourage more slaughter" if you get it.

What sort of events have people seen so far?

haunted bear tale
May 14, 2013
I got one giving all factions a +20 charge bonus to all units for... ten? turns.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

For those of you newish at TW games like me, you should watch people on twitch. I've learned so much in 2 hours.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
Huh, changed it from Ultra to High and i gotta be honest, ive not noticed that much of a drop in quality but an almost massive boost in FPS. Sweet!

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Spiros posted:

For those of you newish at TW games like me, you should watch people on twitch. I've learned so much in 2 hours.

Any good recommendations? All the people I've seen on there make me feel dumber and dumber as I watch them but I think that may be residual twitch chat more than the player themselves.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

quote:

10. Immortal Will heals 24 damage every 0.3 seconds instead of 12 damage every 0.5 seconds.

This is busted. :stare:

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Has anyone put up the exact unit stat changes anywhere?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Haha, I'm messing around in a chaos campaign and my Kholek has a 50% ward save between Storm Rage and a Mark of Tzeentch. And that's not counting his 35% ranged resistance. :getin:

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Kaza42 posted:

Does windows 10 cause issues with gaming? I know that 8 had big compatibility issues for a while, but I've been thinking of upgrading to 10 to be able to use DX12. Anyone have advice on whether or not it's worth it?

W10 comes bundled with literal spyware and is uglier and less functional than 7 in every way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Yukitsu posted:

Any good recommendations? All the people I've seen on there make me feel dumber and dumber as I watch them but I think that may be residual twitch chat more than the player themselves.

I've been watching elich at work here with the twitch chat off (press the arrow at the top left of the chatbox and it will eff off)

There's plenty I'm not picking up on I have no doubt, but general formations and movement have been slowly seeping into my brain

• Locked thread