Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

stinkles1112 posted:

Yeah I'm with you on this one. Card is good.

I tested GB delirium every which way in the current format and this card is going to be MUCH better than Corpse Churn.

I've always been pretty skeptical about delirium bring consistent enough but I think this card is playable in much more than just decks that are trying to hit delirium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Madmarker posted:

Not to mention Delirium is a thing.

Oh and that is a neat progression of the art. The warped little girl and her toy.

This set is fricked up as heck

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

mcmagic posted:

I've always been pretty skeptical about delirium bring consistent enough but I think this card is playable in much more than just decks that are trying to hit delirium.

Sort of like a Satyr Wayfinder w/o legs

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Rinkles posted:

Not as good early in the game but better late.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
In a delirium-centric deck Grapple seems like another sweet "tutor".

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Rinkles posted:

It's more like a green Anticipate.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Fish Of Doom posted:

It's more like a green Anticipate.
It's more like a more flexible Grisly Salvage.

I'm thinking of testing a couple in Sultai Dredge.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

dragon enthusiast posted:

This set is fricked up as heck

Don't worry, WOLF SQUADRON is here to save us.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
Seems like a worse Oath of Nissa outside of delirium decks.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
It's a strictly different Pulse of Murasa.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

AlternateNu posted:

It's more like a more flexible Grisly Salvage.

It's basically Lightning Bolt! Except it's green, costs one more, mills your decks instead of dealing damage, and replaces itself!

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

stinkles1112 posted:

It's basically Lightning Bolt! Except it's green, costs one more, mills your decks instead of dealing damage, and replaces itself!

The most efficient of cards.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Angry Grimace posted:

Delirium Hymn to Tourach, holy poo poo.

:catstare:

Hymn'rakul

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

Cernunnos posted:

I don't know if you guys have noticed the Tail-Mouth yet or not.
(that's why it's hilarious)

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Guys, green needs good instant speed card selection spells to make up for its lack of--hahaha, I can't even finish this sentence.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
I didn't even notice it was instant, what the hell.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
So Innistrad's toast after this right? Seems like this is the kind of thing worlds wouldn't come back from.

Really hoping they don't nix Emerakul in this set and instead just have her run away again. The anti-climatic end of Oath wasn't very interesting, and man there are a lot of mechanics that would be fun to revisit sometime. Not necessarily soon, but sometime.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Thisuck posted:

The most efficient of cards.

Boy howdy. And when you consider that Lightning Bolt is basically just a damage dealing Black Lotus that costs a mana, we're really looking at a Power reprint here

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

EatinCake posted:

So Innistrad's toast after this right? Seems like this is the kind of thing worlds wouldn't come back from.

Really hoping they don't nix Emerakul in this set and instead just have her run away again. The anti-climatic end of Oath wasn't very interesting, and man there are a lot of mechanics that would be fun to revisit sometime. Not necessarily soon, but sometime.

I somehow doubt they would allow the plane that undoubtedly makes them a shitload of money without even trying to just get offed.

If anything it'll be perpetual Cthlhuland from now on.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

whydirt posted:

Guys, green needs good instant speed card selection spells to make up for its lack of--hahaha, I can't even finish this sentence.

Pretty cool that standard is and will remain dead for the foreseeable future, because they develop so far in advance that it's way too late to fix GW

E: seriously, I legitimately doubt that anything short of reprinting snap-bolt will make either color more than an afterthought

Black gets some neat stuff though, the GBw delirium deck looks like it might be good

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

stinkles1112 posted:

Boy howdy. And when you consider that Lightning Bolt is basically just a damage dealing Black Lotus that costs a mana, we're really looking at a Power reprint here

poo poo, they did just reprint Donate!

Also the better name won
http://www.strawpoll.me/10623924/r

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

EatinCake posted:

I'm still hedging my bets on the Silver Moon being made into a Helvault, with Emrakul trapped, but very much alive and pissed off to high hell. In four years she breaks out of space jail, jumps system and fucks up a straight up fantasy realm, leaving Innistraad with a constant, but not super threatening Eldrazi mutation problem.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

EatinCake posted:

It seems like they're setting Liliana up to be a big part of Innistrad's existence, with all the flavor text about how much of a connection she has with the plane and how much stronger she is there. I doubt Eldritch Moon will be the last we see of this plane. The eldrazi influence will remain, but there's still some interesting design space left that fits the flavor of Innistrad and plenty of horror-esque plotlines they can cook up.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Angry Grimace posted:

It's a Wolf in Fallout Armor.

I love my hosed up mecha wolf :allears:

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

The Lord of Hats posted:

Innistrad has the best flavor cards, and I'm already excited for Innistrad 3.

I've been thinking about this lately. I'd chalk up Innistrad's success to a few things:

1. Western audiences are comfortable with colonial European imagery (expecially Victorian London). Contrast with Kamigawa.

2. Gothic horror lets the flavor have its science fiction, horror, and fantasy cakes and eat them too. It's awkward to call Blightsteel Colossus a creature for instance, or a Greek god a spell.

3. Being more rooted in real world imagery, it's probably easier for card artists to research and polish their work. Your typical artist has probably spent more time practicing realistic humans, settings, and animals over the course of their career as opposed to like, bald giants with tentacle faces who turn floating rock vistas into rainbow checkerboards or whatever? So the art looks way better.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Mr. Jive posted:

3. Being more rooted in real world imagery, it's probably easier for card artists to research and polish their work. Your typical artist has probably spent more time practicing realistic humans, settings, and animals over the course of their career as opposed to like, bald giants with tentacle faces who turn floating rock vistas into rainbow checkerboards or whatever? So the art looks way better.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Whispers of Emrakul is not a good card in any format.

Trilas
Sep 16, 2004

Count Bleck posted:

I somehow doubt they would allow the plane that undoubtedly makes them a shitload of money without even trying to just get offed.

It seems like to me that Innistrad is more the plane that makes them try (and then they make a shitload of money).

Edit: now that I think about it, why the hell did they do a D&D setting supplement for Zendikar, when Innistrad would have been so much better suited for that kind of thing? :effort:?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Mr. Jive posted:

I've been thinking about this lately. I'd chalk up Innistrad's success to a few things:

1. Western audiences are comfortable with colonial European imagery (expecially Victorian London). Contrast with Kamigawa.

So what you're saying is that instead of having fantasy Japan which was based on real Japanese mythology, we should have fantasy Japan during Rangoku and/or the Meiji Restoration period. We can have the appropriate western businessmen and the noble savage samurai (in red and green of course). :mrgw:

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010

Trilas posted:

It seems like to me that Innistrad is more the plane that makes them try (and then they make a shitload of money).

Edit: now that I think about it, why the hell did they do a D&D setting supplement for Zendikar, when Innistrad would have been so much better suited for that kind of thing? :effort:?

Zendikar is supposed to be Adventure World, vaguely inspired by D&D-type stuff. So they made a supplement to close the loop.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Toshimo posted:

You're right, in standard we're going to be too busy sacrificing MECHWOLF to Tormented Thoughts to bother making someone discard a measly two cards.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Trilas posted:

EDIT: Is that too big? I can TIMG it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Toshimo posted:

It's terrible. But you're going to lose to it in limited and it's going to suck.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

mcmagic posted:

It's terrible. But you're going to lose to it in limited and it's going to suck.

I wouldn't care about losing to bad cards if it wasn't always the most insufferable prick playing them

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

ThePeavstenator posted:

I wouldn't care about losing to bad cards if it wasn't always the most insufferable prick playing them

sup :mrgw:

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Angry Grimace posted:

It's a Wolf in Fallout Armor.

Greater dog, oh no what did they do to you :ohdear:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

President Ark posted:

Greater dog, oh no what did they do to you :ohdear:

Was thinking the exact same thing myself

Want a card of wolf hopping out of the mecha suit, licking Geralf's face, then hopping back in

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Toshimo posted:

Green Black Delirium might end up being a deck. (lol no because Green White value town will still exist but bear with me here)

Whether it is good or not depends on A) how consistently a deck would hit delirium and B) how much it matters to nail two cards on turn 4 or later (sense I'm assuming thats gonna be the realistic time frame delirium turns on)

There is some cool stuff black has going on with delirium, what irritates me most about this block is that it feels like there is like 3 really neat and cool archetypes (Red/Black Madness, Blue/Black Zombies, and Green/Black delirium) that has the pieces and does it's thing consistently and you feel like your playing a game of magic with a deck that has a focus and does it well, it's just that what that thing is super weak and pathetic when compared to the crushing power of the Green and White cards.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The usefulness of Hymn has probably dropped off by the time you get delirium. Also lol at handwringing over a slightly better Corpse Churn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

ThePeavstenator posted:

With me it's always the games where I'm playing someone totally inexperienced, but they're playing these bad cards and they happen to beat me when my draws already suck. I can remember so many games where I mulled to 5 and/or got stuck on land and some new player has some of those horrible counterspells in his deck at the right moments.

• Locked thread