Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
hell yeah a copied and pasted news article, take that rio 2016 games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

ArtIsResistance posted:

These articles are an ethical necessity and form the bedrock upon which our ceaseless mockery of the games can be erected.

In other words, we put more care into our poo poo-posts than Brazil has put into the Olympics.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Goddamnit cancel the Olympics

Ethelinda Sapsea
Aug 11, 2006

Jesse Eisenberg fighting Michael Cera. It's supposed to be bundles of twigs topped with brillo pads
So will Rio's murder rate go down if the police can't afford bullets?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

SocketWrench posted:

There should be a "Government collapses during games" square

I thought that happened, are you talking Brasil, or Rio specifically? I think both are folding or changin, Rio Governor just got ousted or stepped down, and the Prez is currently being impeached or impeachment is in progress.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

social vegan posted:

this is a v good thread but where's the bingo card at i only started reading yesterdya

edid: Nope!
vvvvvvvv

Prettz fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jun 30, 2016

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

thanks! free space should be bumbum

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

social vegan posted:

shameful but expected that posters would rather look at an anime little girl than a voluptuous rear end

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009
Does police striking because they aren't being paid and departments can't afford gas or bullets count as police "quitting?" It's pretty drat close

Also that bingo card has zero ISIS attacks squares

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Goddamnit cancel the Olympics
Not gonna happen. Though I don't know if even the IOC themselves will show up for more than the opening at this point, it's gonna be a free for all. Probably the media are the only people who will have a nice time of it due to the millions of dollars they have riding on it

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

^^ again ISIS will get there and say hmm.. someone beat us here drat.

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

tater_salad posted:

^^ again ISIS will get there and say hmm.. someone beat us here drat.

Yeah they'd need to pull off Ataturk International x100 to really even make a noticeable impact

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

social vegan posted:

Here you go, random Bingo Card generator for the RIO games: http://bringo.org/

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

social vegan posted:

Free space is Zika-chan, so it is related. Bringo is the far better choice though

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

ArtIsResistance posted:

I like Lime Tonics giving a link, choice paragraphs. He is my Rio news aggregator so I get the scoop on literal poo poo but don't have to wade through metaphorical poo poo

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

simplefish posted:

I like Lime Tonics giving a link, choice paragraphs. He is my Rio news aggregator so I get the scoop on literal poo poo but don't have to wade through metaphorical poo poo

:agreed:

Lime Tonics is the official link aggregator of the 2016 olympics, already doing a better job than the IOC and remaining tatters of what passes for the Brazilian government.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Lime Tonics posted:

Brazil has replaced the head of its antidoping agency just weeks before the Olympics begin, adding to the uncertainty around efforts to keep the Summer Games clean.

The move comes after the World Anti-Doping Agency earlier this month suspended the Rio lab that was to be the center of athlete drug testing during the August games.

Marco Aurélio Klein will be replaced by Rogério Sampaio, a former Olympic judo athlete, according to the Brazilian Ministry of Sports.

The Ministry of Sports said in a statement Thursday that the change in leadership at the antidoping agency, which the ministry oversees, “has nothing to do” with the suspension of the Rio lab and that the recently appointed minister of sport had previously said he would make personnel changes after assuming office.

This inspires confidence,

http://www.wsj.com/articles/brazil-replaces-antidoping-agency-chief-1467296189

Newspapers are against the striking police saying,

Police officers and firefighters in Rio de Janeiro protesting their lack of pay as the Olympics approaches are engaged in “ethically reprehensible” actions “bordering on terrorism,” according to an editorial on Wednesday in Rio de Janeiro’s largest newspaper, O Globo. The newspaper, a property of Grupo Globo, which is owned and controlled by the billionaire Marinho family, is Brazil’s dominant media conglomerate and a primary sponsor and beneficiary of the 2016 Summer Olympics.

In attacking the police, the paper was not criticizing the epidemic of police killings of black and brown youth, nor the militarized occupation of many of Rio’s slums that has failed to improve public security, nor the criminal gangs of off-duty and former officers, known as milícias, that violently control and extort vast swaths of the city. Instead, Globo’s indignation was targeted at public servants non-violently demonstrating for a basic worker’s right — being paid — as part of a protest that happens to threaten Globo’s own business interests worth hundreds of millions of dollars, a fact the paper neglected to disclose to its readers.

https://theintercept.com/2016/06/30/razils-globo-protects-huge-olympic-payday-by-attacking-police-protest-over-unpaid-wages/

Here is a writeup of tl;dr of the weeks happenings,

Rio's horror week: Body parts wash up near Olympics beach volleyball site

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/30/americas/rio-olympics-body-parts-found/

edit: link didn't paste for some reason.

"How dare those fuckers not do their job without pay" as news team grabs their paycheck

ArtIsResistance posted:

shameful but expected that posters would rather look at an anime little girl than a voluptuous rear end

Nah, card is supposed to be bad things

Viruswithshoes
Mar 26, 2007

Unity Gain posted:

:agreed:

Lime Tonics is the official link aggregator of the 2016 olympics, already doing a better job than the IOC and remaining tatters of what passes for the Brazilian government.

I'm enjoying their reporting posts a lot. Helps me forget about Brexit. I guess laughing at other country's woes really can make one feel better

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Man, ISIS could set off a bottle rocket at the Olympics and it would be a huge PR victory. They can't not show up.

E: if anything, Rio and the Olympics is the perfect symbol of the rot of Western influence.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Rename NBC to the snuff channel during the olympics

naem
May 29, 2011

Several Isis could spray the area with ak's and no one would notice the difference

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps
That's why we're crowned the murder capital still
This ain't Rio, this is motherfucking Hamburger Hill!
We don't do drivebys, we park in front of favelas and shoot
and when ISIS come we loving shoot it out with them too!

Did I just hear somebody say they wanna challenge me here?
While I'm holding a pistol with this many calibers here??

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Adventure Pigeon posted:

I feel like every word in that sentence should be in quotation marks.

lool

plushpuffin
Jan 10, 2003

Fratercula arctica

Nap Ghost

Serious Frolicking posted:

RobobTheGreat posted:

The Summer Olympics should just be held the same place every four years. Greece is the natural choice.

Not gonna hold my breath, though.

ha, yeah. a country that is sprinting toward full fascism is a better choice than a disease-ridden kleptocracy.

At least the trains would be built on time.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

These articles are an ethical necessity and form the bedrock upon which our ceaseless mockery of the games can be erected.

In other words, we put more care into our poo poo-posts than Brazil has put into the Olympics.

Sochi dog really is best dog.

I'm sure the reservoir dogs of brazil will no match!

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
I mean, I know... "something awful dot com, bitch!"... but there's something especially pathetic about flushing billions of dollars down non-existent toilets when infrastructure is literally collapsing, basic services aren't being funded, and an entire political class is in full meltdown. Brazil desperately needs that money for... like...real stuff that people need in order to live day-to-day, not some fancy track to race bmx on. It's so completely absurd.

My only hope is for some cartoon-level hilarity (ala Sochi) in the Olympic quarters where we get some good photos of toilet handles being used as doorknobs to take my mind off of how hosed up the whole situation is.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

social vegan posted:

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

I mean, I know... "something awful dot com, bitch!"... but there's something especially pathetic about flushing billions of dollars down non-existent toilets when infrastructure is literally collapsing, basic services aren't being funded, and an entire political class is in full meltdown. Brazil desperately needs that money for... like...real stuff that people need in order to live day-to-day, not some fancy track to race bmx on. It's so completely absurd.

My only hope is for some cartoon-level hilarity (ala Sochi) in the Olympic quarters where we get some good photos of toilet handles being used as doorknobs to take my mind off of how hosed up the whole situation is.

None of that real stuff was going to have money spent on it in Rio if Brazil hadn't won the Olympics bid. If anything, the Olympics may be a positive because a total catastrophic collapse forces change rather than allowing the horrible status quo to continue to limp along. It certainly can't get much worse there short of deadly plague or other mass deaths.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Pvt.Scott posted:

None of that real stuff was going to have money spent on it in Rio if Brazil hadn't won the Olympics bid. If anything, the Olympics may be a positive because a total catastrophic collapse forces change rather than allowing the horrible status quo to continue to limp along. It certainly can't get much worse there short of deadly plague or other mass deaths.

A deadlier plague you mean.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

It is the White man's burden to save Miss Bum Bum.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

:negative:

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

You have my broad shoulders, sirrah!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
no thigh gap = fat

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

AugmentedVision posted:

no thigh gap = fat

Which one was a "no"?

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Darth123123 posted:

Which one was a "ho"?

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Well, it's not like this was all dumped on them at the last minute. They had like 7 years to get poo poo together and they stalled for 6 and a half because Brazil is Brazil.I'd feel more sorry for them if this was dumped on them at last moment or forced on them, but Brazil did this all to itself, so I'm gonna watch and laugh

I'll take them all into shelter except for the one in jeans, those legs are too skinny

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

SocketWrench posted:

I'll take them all into shelter except for the one in jeans, those legs are too skinny

All of them are laughing at the size of your European penis. FYI

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

I mean, I know... "something awful dot com, bitch!"... but there's something especially pathetic about flushing billions of dollars down non-existent toilets when infrastructure is literally collapsing, basic services aren't being funded, and an entire political class is in full meltdown.
you missed the part where Brazil was flushing the money away even before the Olympics with massive corruption

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

AugmentedVision posted:

no thigh gap = fat

The only thigh gap I'm worried about is the one where my face should be.

• Locked thread