Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Can you speak in actual english and maybe link us to the report?

The Navy went to sea completely unprepared, to the point that in the civilian world it would be reasonable to call it reckless negligence. Asking other things failing to inspect the boat prior to leaving, not knowing how close they were to Iran's territory, and their general conduct while they were held was deemed unprofessional.

Iran technically violated international maritime law because the US boat was still in international waters when they boarded it, but it's unlikely anyone will take Iran to task considering the mountain of stupid poo poo the US Navy committed to get to that point.

Raerlynn fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jun 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Raerlynn posted:

The Navy went to sea completely unprepared, to the point that in the civilian world it would be reasonable to call it reckless negligence.

Iran technically violated international maritime law because the boat was still in international waters, but it's unlikely anyone will take Iran to talk considering the mountain of stupid poo poo the US Navy committed to get to that point.

(I actually knew most of that) I was just asking for him to put into words, like this, that could be understood without having to diagram his sentence.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

(I actually knew most of that) I was just asking for him to put into words, like this, that could be understood without having to diagram his sentence.

He made sense just fine. No need to be so hostile.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I now want someone to actually diagram his sentence.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

In other news, the Navy released a report calling the sailors who were captured by the Iranian military later released a bunch of big babies and everyone involved were stupid, also Iran violated international laws and made the US look dumb which of course would evoke no reaction at all from the US.

I'm pretty sure my quick take is spot on.

Yeah, it's the same thing someone expressed a few pages ago.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

It's also the oldest tradition of bigots slowly warming to groups previously otherized:

"Wow, he's not one of them wops, he just likes his mom and spicy food a lot!"

"Wow, he's not one of them spics, he just likes his mom and spicy food a lot!"

It's an "easy" way to say "wow, my stereotypes of an demeaned and otherized group doesn't match reality because my worldview is very bigoted but I don't realize it yet"

On what planet do Italian people like spicy food a lot? When I lived there you'd half expect to see warning labels on mild salsa.

But yeah people internalizing minorities as complex individuals instead of manifestations of a stereotype is like step 1 on the road to breaking down bigotry and that dude's experience mirrors the attitudes that I remember from being in quite well. It's easy to point at all the loudmouth shitheads in the military but people often forget that the military often outpaces society at large when it comes to social change. I think partly because you can't tell society at large from the top down "it is what it is now shut the gently caress up and deal with it" like the military frequently does, and because of the nature of the job there's a massive cultural imperative that your value as an individual is dependent on your ability to do your job and contribute to the whole (insert joke about all the idiots who can't do their job here but it's largely true). So when someone who's gay/black/transexual/whatever the intergration du jour is comes in and actually kicks rear end and does well people just kind of shut up because it doesn't really matter what your stance on gay marriage is if having that guy watch your back is going to get you home alive.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Talmonis posted:

He made sense just fine. No need to be so hostile.

I am incredibly tired from like a week of non-stop, intense work and my brain is largely in revolt so prolly so.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Gah, Radium!

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Jarmak posted:

On what planet do Italian people like spicy food a lot? When I lived there you'd half expect to see warning labels on mild salsa.

We add the heat later by dumping red pepper flakes on everything we eat rather than cooking the spiciness into the food.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

SedanChair posted:

Flamboyant mannerisms are not endemic to gayness.

Saggy pants, a love of rap music and being a 'thug' aren't endemic to being black, but they all work as coded language for the kind of dog-whistle racism we all know and love.

Its the same issue here - and about as insidious. Its about grinding down and destroying people's culture and identity until they are 'acceptable' and to the point where they are not so 'other' that they make the majority feel icky.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

White people food prior to Italians immigrating to the US was so bland that yea, Italian food was spicy. Let that sink in and then thank your lucky stars that US cuisine has undergone an absurd shift in what is standard in just the last 50-70 years. Actually if you ever need proof that the current republican base is untenable just look at food trends over the same time period.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Barudak posted:

White people food prior to Italians immigrating to the US was so bland that yea, Italian food was spicy. Let that sink in and then thank your lucky stars that US cuisine has undergone an absurd shift in what is standard in just the last 50-70 years. Actually if you ever need proof that the current republican base is untenable just look at food trends over the same time period.

Pretty much. You'd have recipes that measured out pepper in *grains* like it was plutonium or something.

http://www.lileks.com/institute/gallery/

For a lot of the country the shift didn't really happen until the 1980s onward unless you happened to have ethnic communities with good food nearby.

Ask me how I know. :corsair:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Barudak posted:

white americans still are scared somewhat of spicy food, i often get scolded by my extended family when they learn my toddler likes to eat salsa, jalapeno, sriracha, and other 'adult' spicy things... like what do you think they feed babies in cultures with spicy cuisine? they're worried it will physically hurt her, or that she doesn't actually like it. yeah no, she'll pretty much dive headfirst into some salsa

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

LeJackal posted:

Saggy pants, a love of rap music and being a 'thug' aren't endemic to being black, but they all work as coded language for the kind of dog-whistle racism we all know and love.

Its the same issue here - and about as insidious. Its about grinding down and destroying people's culture and identity until they are 'acceptable' and to the point where they are not so 'other' that they make the majority feel icky.

We know, so what the hell are you talking about?

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Huh, I was almost certain that the US boat was going to be found in Iranian waters. That makes it a bit less cut n dry of the Navy being idiots, though they probably should have made sure their open-ocean boat wasn't going to randomly break down.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Jarmak posted:

But yeah people internalizing minorities as complex individuals instead of manifestations of a stereotype is like step 1 on the road to breaking down bigotry and that dude's experience mirrors the attitudes that I remember from being in quite well. It's easy to point at all the loudmouth shitheads in the military but people often forget that the military often outpaces society at large when it comes to social change. I think partly because you can't tell society at large from the top down "it is what it is now shut the gently caress up and deal with it" like the military frequently does, and because of the nature of the job there's a massive cultural imperative that your value as an individual is dependent on your ability to do your job and contribute to the whole (insert joke about all the idiots who can't do their job here but it's largely true). So when someone who's gay/black/transexual/whatever the intergration du jour is comes in and actually kicks rear end and does well people just kind of shut up because it doesn't really matter what your stance on gay marriage is if having that guy watch your back is going to get you home alive.

This rings very true.

You touched on it and yeah there is still bigotry in the military and there are shitbags who tend to skate by and they are generally white. For the bigotry it's not acceptable to spout that poo poo. Not in the civilian sense of "Oh, that's not cool man you should chill," but in a sense of "Shut the gently caress up about that poo poo if you say that poo poo you're gonna work until midnight for two weeks and also lose half your paycheck and also lose rank so you lose even more money." On the shitbag side they are generally hated by their peers especially if they manage to suck up to the higher-ups to become immune to poo poo. Eventually though their peers surpass them and make their lives hell or they get the gently caress out or something. Then their peers adopt their own pet shitbags and the cycle starts anew.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Popular Thug Drink posted:

white americans still are scared somewhat of spicy food, i often get scolded by my extended family when they learn my toddler likes to eat salsa, jalapeno, sriracha, and other 'adult' spicy things... like what do you think they feed babies in cultures with spicy cuisine? they're worried it will physically hurt her, or that she doesn't actually like it. yeah no, she'll pretty much dive headfirst into some salsa

#Notallwhitepeople

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Has the FBI mentioned at all when they will complete their investigation of Clinton? They have been investigated for like 6 months now right?

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
USPOL July 2016: Endemic to gayness.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Deadulus posted:

Has the FBI mentioned at all when they will complete their investigation of Clinton? They have been investigated for like 6 months now right?

"on going, but before the election"

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Talmonis posted:

An article on CNN about Obama's presidency and it's effect on race relations in America. The slideshow is a good group of examples of open Republican racism.

A few depressing, but interesting points were made in the article itself.

Bolding mine; I feel this is important given the mass backlash from Drumpf and his movement against "Being PC."

I fear that they're right. That the quiet between the 90's and 2008 was just people being "polite," and now we're seeing what America really is once Obama got too "uppity," to quote sitting congressman Lynn Westmoreland.

I think it's important to remember that in the grand scheme of things, The Civil Rights movement wasn't THAT long ago. We have people in places of power now who were probably teenagers or younger when the 60's happened and still, at least subconsciously, believe in white supremacy. I think it's going to take longer for that to die off.

Also, I think a bigger problem is getting people to believe unconscious racism is a thing that exists. When you point out to people the overtly racist people like in the article you linked their reaction is probably "Well that's just one rear end in a top hat" and ignore them, despite there a lot more "One assholes" than they think.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 30, 2016

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Forget even spicy food, my midwestern relatives won't touch fish other than tuna in a can.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

"on going, but before the election"

So they could wait all the way til October before releasing anything? It would be nice if they could release something before the convention.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Ron Jeremy posted:

Forget even spicy food, my midwestern relatives won't touch fish other than tuna in a can.

Wait, not even salmon or flounder? My parents fry up flounder now and then and even I have salmon now and then.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

BigRed0427 posted:

Wait, not even salmon or flounder? My parents fry up flounder now and then and even I have salmon now and then.

Nope. Chicken of the Sea or nothin.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Deadulus posted:

So they could wait all the way til October before releasing anything? It would be nice if they could release something before the convention.

that's generally been the assumption. i mean there's not likely to be anything to come out of it anyway, other than Sternly Worded Finger Waggling about using a private server that hasn't been done already, and also some attempts at cheap points being scored by the FBI towards state for not having the same standards of classification as they do.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

sean10mm posted:

Pretty much. You'd have recipes that measured out pepper in *grains* like it was plutonium or something.

http://www.lileks.com/institute/gallery/

For a lot of the country the shift didn't really happen until the 1980s onward unless you happened to have ethnic communities with good food nearby.

Ask me how I know. :corsair:

My father's mother's family are all from the Southwest, so we had a disproportionate amount of Mexican/tex-mex (read: any at all) growing up in rural VT in the 80s. I still occasionally get other Vermonters commenting how odd it is that my father likes spicy food as much as he does, when it comes up.

Deadulus posted:

"ANY DAY NOW!" -the entire GOP

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Deadulus posted:

as soon as the Clinton Foundation check clears.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Ron Jeremy posted:

Nope. Chicken of the Sea or nothin.

If their only other experiences with fish is Atlantic caught its not really that surprising.

If food stamps covered any additives besides salt there'd be a greater rancor than the "welfare queens" eating more than gruel.

Cumin?! Do I look like some sort of city folk?!

To be fair I know a bunch of people like this, the default American pallet is meat and potatoes, which has some historic irony.

RuanGacho fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jun 30, 2016

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Ron Jeremy posted:

What kind of midwesterner won't eat fish? Fishing is huge in the Midwest.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

State journalists have been trying to pry the abortion numbers that Texas collects out of the Dept. of State Health Services since HB2, but they dragged the gently caress out of their feet. Now that the rulings done, DSHS put them up and guess what they show :razz:

https://twitter.com/TumaTime/status/748610669545549824

https://twitter.com/andreagrimes/status/748609545249796098

https://twitter.com/alexazura/status/748600935237115904

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

BigRed0427 posted:

Until quite recently, unless you went and caught a fish yourself, eating fish from the store in the Midwest was a good way to eat some old rear end fish. Until air delivery and quality refrigeration, you were eating fish caught days earlier on one of the coasts and then shipped in a, more or less, literal ice box by train. Canned tuna was the exception because canning it kept it "fresh".

So in my Great Grandmother's time, eating fish in Kansas was a dumb as gently caress idea. In my grandmother's time it was an expensive bad idea. In my father's time it was an expensive idea that never occurred to him due to the cultural culinary tradition he grew up in. Then he got drafted and surprising, new and exotic foods introduced to him by whim of Uncle Sam didn't stick. Some pepper or some really mild "spicy" cheese dip for tortilla chips is as hot as he goes.

He also only eats well done steak because the Midwest is culinary hell. Hope you like various takes on jello salads.

Jazerus posted:

What kind of midwesterner won't eat fish? Fishing is huge in the Midwest.

Only if you're in the part actually around the Great Lakes or on the banks of the Mississippi.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jun 30, 2016

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Yeah, my dad grew up in rural Ohio and moved to Montana for college, I'm pretty sure he didn't see a chili until his mid 20s when he moved to Arizona, but now he's obsessed with spicy food, can't get enough Indian, Thai, Mexican, and Cajun, and the spicier the better.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

zoux posted:

State journalists have been trying to pry the abortion numbers that Texas collects out of the Dept. of State Health Services since HB2, but they dragged the gently caress out of their feet. Now that the rulings done, DSHS put them up and guess what they show :razz:

I forget the context for this. Is this to show that the recent law the SC overturned did, in fact, reduce (access to) abortions?

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
I was going to try to post something clever about this but I'm just so tired.

http://theweek.com/speedreads/633447/donald-trump-warns-that-random-plane-could-mexican-fighter-jet-getting-ready-attack

quote:

Speaking 2,656 miles from the Mexican border in Manchester, New Hampshire, on Thursday, Donald Trump interrupted his latest policy speech to point out a random passing airplane, warning that it could be "a Mexican plane up there, they're getting ready to attack."

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/748606690010882048

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

zoux posted:

So, should we declare an amnesty period to let women perform a postpartum abortion now that the laws have been struck down?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Luigi Thirty posted:

We have a new PPP poll too:

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/2015/PPP_Release_National_63016.pdf

Hilldawg 43
Trump 38
Giant Meteor Striking The Earth 13
Not sure 7
Rock the vote

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

How loving hard can it be to sink a presidential campaign? It's like Springtime for Hitler at this point!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Boot and Rally posted:

I forget the context for this. Is this to show that the recent law the SC overturned did, in fact, reduce (access to) abortions?

Yup.

https://twitter.com/_RebeccaMarques/status/748615647848857601

https://twitter.com/SchwartzChron/status/748604453566050304

Abortion is safer than taking aspirin apparently.

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jun 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I served with one gay guy who everyone knew was gay but he came out after DADT was repealed and no one had issues. He wasn't a human being he just hosed dudes.

A new kid came to our unit and was flamboyant as gently caress as annoying and constantly reminding how how gay he was and everyone hated him including the gay guy.

oh word?

• Locked thread