Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###
So, after bugging a buddy of mine to get into the Souls games, he picked up DS3. He isn't reading anything about the game, per my request. I'm wondering though if there are any mods he needs for the PC version? I play on PS4, so I know nothing that may be needed to increase his enjoyment.

Here is what he said after Iudex:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

SynthOrange posted:

I still dont see White Dragon Breath and Black Serpent ever being useful at all though

Black Serpent is great for roll catching.

The estoc's weapon art pierces shields, right? Did they just... give its R1s shield piercing too? Estoc buff incoming?

Edit: also, nooooooooooooo... my dark dark sword! Might switch back to the rawASS.

...! fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 30, 2016

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Watrick posted:

I'm wondering though if there are any mods he needs for the PC version?

I didn't need any mods for DS3 to be good.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

...! posted:

Black Serpent is great for roll catching.

The estoc's weapon art pierces shields, right? Did they just... give its R1s shield piercing too? Estoc buff incoming?

Edit: also, nooooooooooooo... my dark dark sword! Might switch back to the rawASS.

I imagine they mean Shotels.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I always up for modding games, well, not through CE or this one that can get you banned if you are not offline but, what's the point on this one? The game already has zones that are annoying enough to make them just impossible. Jailers and wrestling goats are awful as they are.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Insanedifficulty as a community have no idea what constitutes actual difficulty.

I mean yeah its a fun challenge but it will devlove into rote tedium once the novelty wears off.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

super fart shooter posted:

Is there something special about the heavy crossbow? Cause I'm looking at a wiki right now and it looks like the arbalest does better damage, the only downside is it's a bit heavier and has a higher STR requirement

I'm just trying to cut some weight. The damage gap between it and the arbalest isn't big enough to warrant 1.5 worth of weight on a thing that's going to be very situational.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Guillermus posted:

I always up for modding games, well, not through CE or this one that can get you banned if you are not offline but, what's the point on this one? The game already has zones that are annoying enough to make them just impossible. Jailers and wrestling goats are awful as they are.

I've played through DS3 4 times now. Aggression mods are just a hilarious way to play through the same game and have it be nearly 100% different. In DS1, it made Tomb of the Giants exceptionally lethal, but it trivialized the Anor Londo archers and church rafters. It's just good for a larf

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

If there's one thing that would make this game even better, it's fighting all the pontiff's knights and fire witches at the same time.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Kobogartimer posted:

If there's one thing that would make this game even better, it's fighting all the pontiff's knights and fire witches at the same time.

And dogs.

And those invisible spellcasters.

All while fighting the crocodog.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
10 Jailers from that big room rushing at you simultaneously...

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Insurrectionist posted:

10 Jailers from that big room rushing at you simultaneously...

Try activating the jump-scare corpse in the room with the Xanthous Ashes while the procession is nearby. Especially fun if you have Hidden Body to slip out while they all rush in.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Oh god, I remember sticking to the doorway as they were pouring in, fumbling thru the menu for a homeward bone. They all watched me teleport out.
(No, I don't keep homeward bones on the menu slots: those are for the expression carvings!)

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Where can I find the expression carvings? I'm in Irithyll at the moment, just beat Pontiff.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Where can I find the expression carvings? I'm in Irithyll at the moment, just beat Pontiff.

Trade poo poo with the crow

e: regrettably, you can not trade literal poo poo with the crow

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

SynthOrange posted:

I still dont see White Dragon Breath and Black Serpent ever being useful at all though

Maybe if they REALLY improved the tracking on the serpent and upped the duration, it could be really annoying. Kind of like the fire snake pyromancy the ithryll fire witches use.

White Dragon Breath's problem wasn't really stamina consumption though. It's speed. Personally, I'd change it so the crystals stuck around for a good while and exploded and did damage if someone ran into them. Let you play annoying zoning games to box people in with deadly crystal walls.

Edit: I wonder if daggers will be useful now? I guess it's a question of just how much they upped the crit damage. Does that apply to counterattacks or just to backstabs/parries? I forget. I'm awful at parries, so I probably won't be using daggers even if they're great now.

Obligatum VII fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 1, 2016

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
I think the thing I miss the most from previous Souls games are the tiers of rolling. 3 is just "all or nothings < 70%", so as long as you're under 70, everyone moves the same, and anyone over that is basically comitting suicide. I liked the medium roll, it wasn't as good as the light roll, but it was usable, and opened up a lot more options PvP wise. I guess it's all tied into the Poise system, or lack thereof. If you have different rolls, then you can conceivable make a super-tanky character who can eat most attacks and keep going, but if Poise isn't a thing, then heavier armor is almost always a liability, as it provides almost no incentive to wear beyond middling damage reduction.

So, I'm not sure if it's a balance issue - if poise and rolling tiers were back, would that lead to more, or less PvP build variety? Would the optimal builds all center around a certain weight limit, or would we see more super-light/super-heavy builds, as opposed to the middleground we find ourselves in now. I'd still like to see what would happen, but it really would require a reworking of almost all the weapons and armor nearly from the ground up.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Dark souls 2 also only had a light roll and a fat roll, which was so unusable that it effectively only had a light roll. However equip weight did affect your rolling distance at breakpoints and stamina regeneration linearly.

Doesn't dark souls 3 have something different below 30%? It doesn't seem to have anything linear at least

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Digirat posted:

Dark souls 2 also only had a light roll and a fat roll, which was so unusable that it effectively only had a light roll. However equip weight did affect your rolling distance at breakpoints and stamina regeneration linearly.

Doesn't dark souls 3 have something different below 30%? It doesn't seem to have anything linear at least

It doesn't give you more iframes, but when you're below 30% you roll farther.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I want ninja flip ring back :colbert:.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Digirat posted:

Fat roll is fine in DS2 since it has the same number of iframes as the regular roll. You can't dodge repeated attacks effectively but it works just as well for dodging single hits.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Yeah, only DS1 had a "fast roll" that was distinct from a standard roll. All other games in the series either had a simple standard roll/fatroll binary (50% for Demon's, 70% for DS2/DS3) or didn't even have a fatroll (Bloodborne).

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I spent hours and hours, but I finally got the wolf ring and whatever greatsword the watchers of farron level 30 gives you. (protip, being level 25 ensures that you'll be invading idiots who have only just got to the swamp area after killing the tree, and have not killed the sage or the farron dark knight guys). Does the wolf ring actually do anything, since it 'increases poise', and poise is broken?

Also for my level SIXTY NINE character who has got to the end of the game, how the hell do you kill the nameless king? I killed his dragon on the second try (I have the dragonslayer greataxe +5, so that makes sense really) and the king got off the dragon and destroyed me since all of my flasks were used up.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

redreader posted:

Also for my level SIXTY NINE character who has got to the end of the game, how the hell do you kill the nameless king? I killed his dragon on the second try (I have the dragonslayer greataxe +5, so that makes sense really) and the king got off the dragon and destroyed me since all of my flasks were used up.

Two strategies:

1. Mentally prepare you for a shitload of getting your rear end kicked. I got to a point where I could usually kill the dragon without taking more than 1 or 2 estus worth of damage, because I had to do that fight so many times. What helped me kill the king was realizing that if I fought him aggressively enough he would drop to his knees, allowing me to do a visceral attack (I don't read this thread often so I don't know the correct terminology). Once I figured that out I got him after about 3 tries.

2. Buy the Greatshield with 98% lightning resistance from the Dragonfighter Armor, and if you can carry it you can just block through his attacks and kill him on your first try.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

kanonvandekempen posted:

Two strategies:

1. Mentally prepare you for a shitload of getting your rear end kicked. I got to a point where I could usually kill the dragon without taking more than 1 or 2 estus worth of damage, because I had to do that fight so many times. What helped me kill the king was realizing that if I fought him aggressively enough he would drop to his knees, allowing me to do a visceral attack (I don't read this thread often so I don't know the correct terminology). Once I figured that out I got him after about 3 tries.

2. Buy the Greatshield with 98% lightning resistance from the Dragonfighter Armor, and if you can carry it you can just block through his attacks and kill him on your first try.

Lothric Knight shield offers 89% lightning damage reduction while being way lighter and you can spend some titanites to boost its stability. You recieve chip damage blocking his charge.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

redreader posted:

I spent hours and hours, but I finally got the wolf ring and whatever greatsword the watchers of farron level 30 gives you. (protip, being level 25 ensures that you'll be invading idiots who have only just got to the swamp area after killing the tree, and have not killed the sage or the farron dark knight guys). Does the wolf ring actually do anything, since it 'increases poise', and poise is broken?

The most recent status on poise that I've seen is that it makes it easier to complete hyperarmor attacks after taking repeated hits. There was a pretty detailed video and post on reddit, then another one confirming the results, and since then no-one has refuted it as far as I know. So poise is basically for trading with heavy weapons after being hit with other heavy weapons. You don't need poise to trade with smaller weapons because they can't do enough poise damage to get through your base hyperarmor. And you don't need it if you're using a fast weapon because you don't have hyperarmor.

So if you're rocking an ultra weapon, the wolf ring is the most efficient way to eat an extra attack from another ultra weapon and preserve your hyperarmor. Probably not worth using a ring slot for, nice if you're getting it for free on armor.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

redreader posted:

Dodge his attacks and hit him with short, light attacks after he attacks you before his stamina refills enough for him to hit you again. Make sure that you hit him, and that he doesn't hit you, and just keep doing that perfectly until he dies. Happy 2 help

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks for all the input, everyone!

kanonvandekempen posted:

Two strategies:
I haven't used a shield in the entire game (with that guy), but my character is a str guy, so I suppose I should try this. Thanks!

I used a shield last night once with my level 25 farron invader dude. It was hilarious. I switched from a catalyst in left hand to a parrying shield just as I was closing with the guy, parried him first try, and one shot him. It was my easiest kill apart from the one where I warped in and it said that I'd already won and gave me my reward.

redreader fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jul 1, 2016

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I don't know how is it possible that my SL89 guy got invaded in Grand Archives and I literally two shot the invader with Yhorm's machete (a single rolling attack dealt like 80% and a normal swing). Can I get invaded by a low level twink just because he has a +10 weapon? I think I dealt around 800 damage counting both swings so is possible that he was even in SL but really low vigor.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Guillermus posted:

I don't know how is it possible that my SL89 guy got invaded in Grand Archives and I literally two shot the invader with Yhorm's machete (a single rolling attack dealt like 80% and a normal swing). Can I get invaded by a low level twink just because he has a +10 weapon? I think I dealt around 800 damage counting both swings so is possible that he was even in SL but really low vigor.

Lowest he could have been is in the 60s if I understand how the ranges work. So probably just a vigor-gouging wizard or something.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
If he already has the Dragonslayer Armour's axe, he can't buy the Dragonslayer Armour's shield.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

skasion posted:

Lowest he could have been is in the 60s if I understand how the ranges work. So probably just a vigor-gouging wizard or something.

It may be, I dodged a soul spear and hit him with a rolling attack then unlocked target and did a normal swing following his roll. Was expecting the typical slog chase through grand archives that ends with him pushed back to where the outrider knight is. I always save a giant's seed for that room because it's amusing to see invaders hiding behind then panic rolling and getting killed.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
Speaking of giant seeds, can I leave giant seeds for people I invade, so I can help them fight?

I want to cooperate, I just don't want to wait for permission to do it

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Tombs of catharsis can suck my balls

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Speaking of giant seeds, can I leave giant seeds for people I invade, so I can help them fight?

I want to cooperate, I just don't want to wait for permission to do it

Huh. You probably can, try it at a fight club. But you won't get any souls from anything you kill. Not sure about if your flask will refill from other invader kills either.

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

just gonna do whatever I want to do, all the time

redreader posted:

Thanks for all the input, everyone!

I haven't used a shield in the entire game (with that guy), but my character is a str guy, so I suppose I should try this. Thanks!

conversely, I used a shield the whole game but when I finally beat NK I didn't use it at all, it was all dodges. For me that was just a bossfight that I had to learn and perform. Equip the Carthus Extra I-Frames Ring for a bit more leeway. After a few tries you should be able to reliably take down the stormdrake without getting hit. Keep some distance between you, and whenever he lunges forward with the spear, roll forward under the attack and get some hits in on the stormdrake's neck before getting clear. Your best opportunity for that is when he vertically raises and charges his spear with lightning then slams it down. As soon as you see him start that massive glowing telegraph, charge in, roll under the strike and lay into him, he takes a good few hits to recover from that. If you're rolling in under a regular, non-charged lunge, you want to make sure you stay under the neck and don't come too far towards the head with your attacks or he'll twat you with two follow-up blows.

As for actually fighting the Nameless King, his attacks aren't actually all that hard to dodge,, he's got a definite rhythm, it just takes a little while to learn it because he hits like a loving truck. Get in close. He switches between visually similar two and three-hit combos a lot, so most of the trick to this fight is dodging him and quickly assessing his body language after each strike. If he's tensing up to hit you again, dodge again. If he's straightening up, stick something sharp up him. You generally only have time for one attack, then you need to either start dodging his next flurry, or roll clear to regain your stamina. His lightning moves aren't too tough to dodge once you've learned the timing for the lightning-strike, and you can usually get a hit in after that as well if you're close enough.

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Someone figured out a (very convoluted) glitch that lets you kite Pontiff Sulyvahn out of his room and into the dueling courtyard in the next area. Pop a seed and give those Aldrich Faithful the shock of their lives!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqHJLy4Le50

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

...! posted:

Someone figured out a (very convoluted) glitch that lets you kite Pontiff Sulyvahn out of his room and into the dueling courtyard in the next area. Pop a seed and give those Aldrich Faithful the shock of their lives!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqHJLy4Le50

Haha, that is brilliant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

I wonder how far you can kite him. That's hilarious.