Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Kinda odd you can't pay for armor point upgrades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Or take it in a squadron

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
Yeah, it can't be a dedicated transport or be taken in squadrons. Just more garbage to heap on the steaming pile that is the current ork codex.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

Master Twig posted:

I've always gotten along fine with just one malanthrope. He hangs out in the backfield, providing good cover for my Flyrants turn 1 before they take off, and providing cover and synapse for all the little bugs that like to hold objectives. They're a bit too slow to try to have one to march up with the rest of the army, a waste to put in a tyrannocyte, and simply don't have enough offensive capability to run multiples as an attack unit.

Carnifxes are pretty bad. They're playable and fun in a casual game, but yeah, for their price they should be T7 or something.

Would AbusePuppy's Tyranid codex work better? My brother also has Nids and I don't want him to just get casually tabled constantly by our friend's Space Wolves and such.

Lord Twisted posted:

http://i.imgur.com/KOq5wlH.jpg

My ork buddy liked that fandex. Using it tonight vs 30k Salamanders!

Haha holy poo poo, that's awesome. Hey, what version is that? I'm up to v4, thinking about 5. The Wulfen at-initiative S8 AP2 axe had to loving go, as did lots of BS bonuses and Twin-linked Lootas. I did a lot of toning down since bitterness prompted some OP stuff. Should only be 1 or 2 pages in difference you could print separately & file into that.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

Or take it in a squadron

CyberLord XP posted:

Yeah, it can't be a dedicated transport or be taken in squadrons. Just more garbage to heap on the steaming pile that is the current ork codex.

Hahahahaha c'mon guys, why would a horde army be able to squadron anything like dreadnoughts (like Space Marines can) or tanks (like everyone else can*)?

*except Tyranids

e: GW's FB page can't make any Ork-related posts w/o requests for an update or new codex.

Proletariat Beowulf fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jun 30, 2016

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Hahaha, yeah I just noticed that. It has firing ports and transport capacity, but it's not a dedicated transport.

:results are in, it was poo.gif:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I think that's just the lovely little entry they put in White Dwarf when the last Ork codex came out. That was way before dreadnought squadrons, etc. It's still hot garbage though.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

If they actually added squadron, dedicated transport and paying for more armor it might actually be good.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

LingcodKilla posted:

If they actually added squadron, dedicated transport and paying for more armor it might actually be good.

They've never demonstrated they know enough about their own game to intentionally make anything good or bad.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
No idea what version mate - I won, but it was savage. Lost a Spartan and Deredeo by turn 2, and only turned it around when a leviathan, Firedrakes and praetor charged into the heart of his army. Managed to kill a Morkanaut which collapsed his lines. Narrow victory. Great codex!

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

Hencoe posted:

I typically run two if I'm using a swarm, gives them more freedom of movement and he is naturally fleet so he can somewhat keep up.
As for the carnifexes it's a common theme, double brain leech worms is potent but..... Yeah

What do you do for anti tank? Or do you just ignore tanks, kill dudes and take objectives?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Couldn't you put a reinforced ram or Deff Rolla on the looted wagon and bump the front armor to 13?

Doesn't stop all the shortcomings, but it's a start.

Edit: nevermind, I'm dumb. Only counts the armor as 2 higher when ramming.

Floppychop fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jun 30, 2016

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Made my first Kroot for my jungle Tau, just to sort out a colour scheme and such. Really enjoyed painting him, pretty simple with lots of drybrushing and washes which makes my life so much easier. And doing blood and war-paint and stuff are absolutely my jam.

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Made my first Kroot for my jungle Tau

Looks groovy, but I'm of the opinion that Kroot should always contrast with the colour of Tau armour.

I would try painting up a Kroot in your bone/tan colour with his hair/quills as your Firewarriors' uniform brown..

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Really like that wooden stock.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Question about adding Forgeworld items to formations.

Say I eventually decide to run that Tempestus Scions Air Cav formation, but I wanted to run a Vulture Gunship with it. What would I have to do, since it isn't a standard CAD?

Oh, and the reason I ask is because I just won a "Vulcher" gunship kit with punisher cannon upgrade off of ebay for $30. Still in Forgeworld bags. Once again, thank you Independent Characters for the tip about misspellings.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

jadebullet posted:

Question about adding Forgeworld items to formations.

Say I eventually decide to run that Tempestus Scions Air Cav formation, but I wanted to run a Vulture Gunship with it. What would I have to do, since it isn't a standard CAD?

Oh, and the reason I ask is because I just won a "Vulcher" gunship kit with punisher cannon upgrade off of ebay for $30. Still in Forgeworld bags. Once again, thank you Independent Characters for the tip about misspellings.

Short answer: You can't.

Formations are fixed, so you can't add any units to them that aren't on the sheet. Doing so would make your army Unbound, which means you lose the benefit(s) any formations/detachments would offer. However, you could run an Imperial GuardAstra Militarum CAD or allied detachment to get the Vulcher and your formation.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Hmm, that's what I was afraid of. The formation already looks pretty costly (4 Valks, 3 Scion squads, one Command Squad, and a tax commissar) plus the Vulture might be a quite expensive army indeed points wise.

What would be the cheapest way to throw in a small allied force of IG?

(Everything is still just in the planning stage at this point in any case, as I still have my chaos to finish, Corsairs to base and paint, and my fiancee's orks to throw together. I just couldn't say no to that deal on the Vulture.)

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Cheapest IG I think would be Lord Commissar with a squad of veterans.

VolatileSky
May 5, 2007
i'm gay thx
Wanted hammy suggestions and wasn't sure where else to ask!
Short of it; found longboard in trash. Sanded/restored said board. Currently working on drawing a graphic on it.

My sketchbook is too small but I'm going to put the standard inquisition symbol behind it.

What else is metal/ham that would go with it? All I'm coming up with is a thick border with some baroque patterning, repeating triangular patterns like a sunburst behind it, or imperial eagle wings? I feel like I'm missing something.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

jadebullet posted:

Hmm, that's what I was afraid of. The formation already looks pretty costly (4 Valks, 3 Scion squads, one Command Squad, and a tax commissar) plus the Vulture might be a quite expensive army indeed points wise.

What would be the cheapest way to throw in a small allied force of IG?

(Everything is still just in the planning stage at this point in any case, as I still have my chaos to finish, Corsairs to base and paint, and my fiancee's orks to throw together. I just couldn't say no to that deal on the Vulture.)

A lord Commissar and a veteran squad would be the absolute cheapest way, but then you'd be stuck with two kinda pointless Commissars including your formation one, and a squad of veterans not as good as your Scions. I've run an infantry blob with a command squad and lord Commissar, which, while spendier, gives your army something it doesn't already have. It gives you a nice infantry block to hold down the fort and hide some heavy weapons in, and then you can take the Vulture with them.

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Made my first Kroot for my jungle Tau, just to sort out a colour scheme and such. Really enjoyed painting him, pretty simple with lots of drybrushing and washes which makes my life so much easier. And doing blood and war-paint and stuff are absolutely my jam.

These guys own. I'd love to see a full army on a jungle board.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

VolatileSky posted:

Short of it; found longboard in trash. Sanded/restored said board. Currently working on drawing a graphic on it.

My sketchbook is too small but I'm going to put the standard inquisition symbol behind it.

What else is metal/ham that would go with it? All I'm coming up with is a thick border with some baroque patterning, repeating triangular patterns like a sunburst behind it, or imperial eagle wings? I feel like I'm missing something.

Servo-skull greeblies

If you want to leave the skull untouched you could throw on an iron halo.

Candles, lanterns, and open flames are all =][= INQUISITION =][= standbys.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007

VolatileSky posted:

Throw a bunch of broken twigs and forest brush at it until it spells "Blood for the Blood God," then splatter it with actual blood.*

*Don't do this, longboards are not 3d art pieces.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

JesusIsTehCool posted:

What do you do for anti tank? Or do you just ignore tanks, kill dudes and take objectives?

Kind of the same way you normally do, either with a Flyrant or by ignoring it. The codex isn't exactly brimming with non melee AT, and the ones that are there are like ap4.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

Hencoe posted:

Kind of the same way you normally do, either with a Flyrant or by ignoring it. The codex isn't exactly brimming with non melee AT, and the ones that are there are like ap4.

Are Heavy Venom Cannons worth it or are twinlinked devourers better?

What about zenothropes, are they worth taking? They sound good but that warp lance thing seems really short range and it's wc2 which seems like a lot.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

JesusIsTehCool posted:

Are Heavy Venom Cannons worth it or are twinlinked devourers better?

What about zenothropes, are they worth taking? They sound good but that warp lance thing seems really short range and it's wc2 which seems like a lot.

Heavy Venom Cannons on Tyrants are never worth it, though through sheer luck they can get the job done on occasion. Numerically the Devourers are just so much better with so much more damage potential it's no contest. It's a cheaper buy if you want that kind of thing on a Carnifex, since it doesn't rely on BS primarily. The only instance where HVCs are a good pick is on Harpies, who get them twin-linked for cheaper than any of the other options.

Zoanthropes are good for a strong Synapse net and for WC batteries for other Psykers (mostly HTs). At 50pts they are the cheapest ML2 Psyker in the entire game and can be a tough nut to crack with its 3++. Warp Lance has an extremely low chance of success unless you put a lot of points into it. If you are fielding 3 Zoanthropes in a brood you have a decent chance of at least hitting with one shot, but it's seriously a dismal damage output considering the power profile. Better to go single Zoanthropes for more charges and keep the WL uses to last-ditch efforts or when you don't have to spend the WCs elsewhere.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I am working on making my fiancee's Ork army and I came across this Forgeworld Army list for an Ork Dread Mob. As she wants her army to be a bunch of stompy things, such as the Mega Dread I am currently assembling, along side the Deff dread, I feel that it looks perfect. I have to say, it looks like a lot of fun, as long as you like crazy Ork Mekboyz. (Seriously, she is going a bit nuts with the whole Ork thing. I now have a poo poo ton of Gretchen/Grots that I need to model crawling all over everything, and doing stuff like oiling the buzz saw. She also eventually wants a Gargantuan Squiggoth which she has already named "Sunshine.")

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/resources/fw_site/fw_pdfs/Warhammer_40000/Ork_Dread_Mob_Army_List_Update.pdf

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jul 2, 2016

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
Sorry to keep asking so many questions but I am trying to figure out what I should buy. Does this list seem somewhat functional?

CAD:
HQ: Flying Hive Tyrant with 2 twin linked devourers, Deathleaper
Troops: 2 units of one mucolid spores
Elites: 2 units of one Malenthore, 1 unit of 1 Zoanthrope
1 Tyannocyte

Endless swarm formation:
1 warrior squad with barbed strangler
3 units of 20 hormaguants
2 units of 30 Termagants
1 unit of 20 devourer Termagants (going in the Tyannocyte)

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So is GW's website down for anyone else?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

jadebullet posted:

So is GW's website down for anyone else?

Not sure about GW but forgeworld is the slowest piece of garbage ive seen in a while

VolatileSky
May 5, 2007
i'm gay thx
The servo skull idea is great! And I figure a few purity seals, it'll be done in a couple days now! Spent loving five hours today sanding that drat thing trying to get it smooth enough to draw on

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

JesusIsTehCool posted:

Sorry to keep asking so many questions but I am trying to figure out what I should buy. Does this list seem somewhat functional?

CAD:
HQ: Flying Hive Tyrant with 2 twin linked devourers, Deathleaper
Troops: 2 units of one mucolid spores
Elites: 2 units of one Malenthore, 1 unit of 1 Zoanthrope
1 Tyannocyte

Endless swarm formation:
1 warrior squad with barbed strangler
3 units of 20 hormaguants
2 units of 30 Termagants
1 unit of 20 devourer Termagants (going in the Tyannocyte)

Doesn't look too bad. It has very little in the way of anti-air/anti-tank but as discussed that's part of the problem/charm with Nid hordes. Deathleaper is an interesting choice but I can see it having some uses in terms of shooting vehicle back armor and disrupting the enemy backline while the rest is on approach.

The single FHT may not survive very long--be sure to keep it within the Malanthrope Shrouded bubble for that sweet, sweet 2+ Jink save until you can get a solid shot at things with it. Remember that Jinking has no affect on casting Blessings/Maledictions which is nice.

The list looks to be at the "try it and see if you like it" phase. Maybe get a game or three in with some proxies before buying to see if it scratches your bug-horde itch.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Completed a set of quick and easy objective markers today using some spare parts from the Imperial Bastion that I grabbed from the FLGS. Used square bases for these because I have far too many of those anyway so they might as well see some useage.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

So Maccrage Blue Spray has been out of stock in the US for awhile. Any UK goons willing to buy me a few cans and ship across the pond? poo poo cuts way down on vehicle painting time.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Uroboros posted:

So Maccrage Blue Spray has been out of stock in the US for awhile. Any UK goons willing to buy me a few cans and ship across the pond? poo poo cuts way down on vehicle painting time.

I think that current UK postage laws prohibit that. I remember this being a big deal a year ago or so when it came to shipping spray cans internationally.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Cooked Auto posted:

I think that current UK postage laws prohibit that. I remember this being a big deal a year ago or so when it came to shipping spray cans internationally.

No, that was a kerfuffle about mailing paint in the UK, you can't mail paints even if it's acrylics so now everyone uses various couriers to get their paints delivered. Pretty sure you can't airmail aerosols like spray paint no matter what (IIRC you can't take them on a plane either) but mailing by surface post should be ok. But expensive still.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Annoying simply because it has been so drat long. Clearly, if you run out then the poo poo must be selling, but honestly it doesn't surprise me because the GW store seems to running out of poo poo all the time. I ended up going to Amazon and buying the single can they still have in stock out of desperation, which was even more overpriced than usual.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

krushgroove posted:

No, that was a kerfuffle about mailing paint in the UK, you can't mail paints even if it's acrylics so now everyone uses various couriers to get their paints delivered. Pretty sure you can't airmail aerosols like spray paint no matter what (IIRC you can't take them on a plane either) but mailing by surface post should be ok. But expensive still.

Alright, I stand corrected then. All I remember reading was a bunch of notices on some stores that they couldn't ship paint spray cans internationally or something but then again that was a while ago so.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe

jadebullet posted:

So I am working on making my fiancee's Ork army and I came across this Forgeworld Army list for an Ork Dread Mob. As she wants her army to be a bunch of stompy things, such as the Mega Dread I am currently assembling, along side the Deff dread, I feel that it looks perfect. I have to say, it looks like a lot of fun, as long as you like crazy Ork Mekboyz. (Seriously, she is going a bit nuts with the whole Ork thing. I now have a poo poo ton of Gretchen/Grots that I need to model crawling all over everything, and doing stuff like oiling the buzz saw. She also eventually wants a Gargantuan Squiggoth which she has already named "Sunshine.")

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/resources/fw_site/fw_pdfs/Warhammer_40000/Ork_Dread_Mob_Army_List_Update.pdf

I use a metal army all the time, though just from the regular Ork codex.

Usually two combined forces with a total of 18 Kills Kans in three mobs with various guns, and three Deff Dreads all with four PK.

They are a lot of fun to play, though games can be lop-sided.

Even when I lose though, it's still an impressive looking army with a huge footprint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

So, after I finish one more pod I will have my Battle Demi-Company ready for some competitive 1500 play. I am looking at the following:

HQ
Captain - Cataphractii Armor - 120 pts
Elite
Command Squad - 4x Plasma and Apothecary inside Drop Pod w/ Deathwind Launcher - 215 pts
Dreadnaught - Multi-Melta and Heavy Flamer inside Drop Pod w/ Deathwind Launcher - 160 pts
Troops
10x Tacticals - Meltagun and Combi-Melta inside Drop Pod w/ Deathwind Launcher - 210 pts
10x Tacticals - Meltagun and Combi-Melta inside Drop Pod w/ Deathwind Launcher - 210 pts
10x Tacticals - Flamer and Combi-Flamer inside Drop Pod w/ Deathwind Launcher - 205 pts
Fast Attack
5x Assault Marines - 2x Flamer and Combi-Flamer inside Drop Pod w/ Storm Bolter - 115
Heavy Support
5x Devastator Marines - 4x Grav-Cannon inside Drop Pod w/ Storm Bolter - 245

1480 Total

My first question. I am unsure if flamers on the tacticals is wise, and if I should just stick with Meltaguns throughout. Additionally, I am unsure if 4xGravs is a bit overkill, and if losing one might be in my best interest to either plus up the squad a bit with bodies or add more Deathwind Launchers on to the Pods.

My next question is more about strategy. I understand how to use Drop Pod lists atleast in theory, but I have little experience in practice. What are some main strategies I should follow? What are my biggest threats, and the best way to counter them?

• Locked thread