Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Just run past all the battles

Or better yet, yank the gamecard out of your 3DS and throw it in the trash

That is the unequivocal best way to play Sticker Star

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm glad they tried something new with Sticker Star but i don't like the idea of every action being finite.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Stoked to go home and spend $1.50 on Mario RPG!

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

deadwing posted:

I hate to tell people "they're playing it wrong" but I can't help but think a lot of people played Sticker Star wrong. Approach every battle like a puzzle. "How can I finish this in one turn". Use your good stickers. Use your things. You get money after the battle. You get more money if you do it in one turn. Use that money to buy more good stickers! If you're sitting on 8k coins and are using six normal jumps to finish an encounter because you want to "save" your good stickers, you're playing it wrong! All you have to spend money on is stickers! Use the drat stickers!!

Sticker Star is very good.

If you have 8k coins and a lot of good stickers why wouldn't you just run away, though?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Because it's more fun to play the game

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Stoked to go home and spend $1.50 on Mario RPG!

I hope the emulation is good. Not being able to do timed hits would suck.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Help Im Alive posted:

Because it's more fun to play the game

It's really hard to have fun playing the battles when you realize they are very pointless

Except the boss battles. That Gooper Blooper fight was probably the highlight of that game.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Oh yeah I've had the most NINTENDOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :argh: experience the past few days

I have the 2TB Western Digital drive that Nintendo recommended (this was after the drive I bought in advance of and in anticipation for the Wii U kept randomly crashing the entire system with the HDD disconnect black screen of death, and Nintendo told me it's not one of their reccomended ones so it can't be helped) and it just like, decided it's not going to load the hard drive 19 times out of 20 when booting the system. It'd work occasionally, often after leaving it overnight, but not consistently.

After trying a bunch of poo poo including getting a new USB cable, I cracked open the enclosure (which, on the mybook, more or less makes the enclosure worthless for continuous use as it can't be snapped back together) and put the drive in my PC, and got some of my Anime Menu Simulator fix unsatiated my lack of ability to play TMS#FE by checking it on Crystal Disk Info. No SMART errors, everything is fine. (P.S. gently caress You hard drive industry for not figuring out how to make SMART work over USB you loving cocks.)

Me: Alright well maybe it's the enclosure, I'll go nab a new one

Nintendo: :fuckoff:

So yeah I get this pretty nice enclosure that works like a dream but when plugged in its like "DO U WANT TO FORMAT THIS DRIVE LOL"

After some google searching I found exactly one person who found out that the hard drive is not just tied to the drive BUT THE ENCLOSURE AS WELL

So, I need to copy poo poo off this drive to another one, then copy it back. My first bright idea was to copy all my save files to a USB stick which I can then copy back over and redownload all my games.

Nintendo: :fuckoff:

Yeah you can't just copy the save files, I have to copy like all 30 GB of Xenoblade X to back up the save because Nintendo is just like, gently caress you

I eventually had to get a different hard drive (a smaller but more than adequate 750GB) and after like 30 minutes into cajoling the broken husk of the Mybook enclosure which is now reduced to a little silicon PCB triangle and a blinking light into loading, copy everything over into the 750GB which was now in the nice new enclosure that works perfectly and is detected every time, and copy everything. I could maybe "rent" a second enclosure and return it to get everything back on the 2TB but it might have other, better uses elsewhere.

Everything seems to work fine now but there was like, several gigs of poo poo that wasn't on the drive anymore after selecting EVERYTHING so who knows

So basically gently caress you Nintendo, now to keep buying all your poo poo and crying, while hoping against all hope that you don't put me through poo poo like this again (you will) :sigh:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

I hope the emulation is good. Not being able to do timed hits would suck.

i eagerly anticipate using save states to get the super suit

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Boten Anna posted:

So yeah I get this pretty nice enclosure that works like a dream but when plugged in its like "DO U WANT TO FORMAT THIS DRIVE LOL"

After some google searching I found exactly one person who found out that the hard drive is not just tied to the drive BUT THE ENCLOSURE AS WELL

This is actually a Western Digital thing, not a Nintendo thing - they really don't want you doing your own recovery, and they don't care what they do to their name to stop you. Seagate is less rear end-headed about external drives and replacement enclosures, but that's only a thing people consider over buying a separate drive and enclosure because you can get 2 TB for 80 bucks or something.

Although yeah the thing where you can't back up just a save like it's a Vita only every game is memory card size is powerful stupid, Nintendo. Learn from other companies blowing it for once.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Sir Unimaginative posted:

This is actually a Western Digital thing, not a Nintendo thing - they really don't want you doing your own recovery, and they don't care what they do to their name to stop you. Seagate is less rear end-headed about external drives and replacement enclosures, but that's only a thing people consider over buying a separate drive and enclosure because you can get 2 TB for 80 bucks or something.

Although yeah the thing where you can't back up just a save like it's a Vita only every game is memory card size is powerful stupid, Nintendo. Learn from other companies blowing it for once.

It's some bug in Nintendo's software that caused this whole mess though, so even if Nintendo didn't tie it to the enclosure, they sure as poo poo put in some buggy software that makes their recommended drive unstable. Also because of N's proprietary bullshit I didn't have any good options for using my PC to recover the data or transfer it or anything. I didn't want to spend even $80 for a new drive especially when TMS#FE is probably like the last retail release they're going to put out for the drat thing anyway and who knows if I'll need it for the NX (and I pray every day there's cloud saves and a large amount of internal storage so I don't.)

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Boten Anna posted:

TMS#FE is probably like the last retail release they're going to put out for the drat thing anyway

Sticker Star 2 is coming out in October, and Zelda next year.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

deadwing posted:

I hate to tell people "they're playing it wrong" but I can't help but think a lot of people played Sticker Star wrong. Approach every battle like a puzzle. "How can I finish this in one turn". Use your good stickers. Use your things. You get money after the battle. You get more money if you do it in one turn. Use that money to buy more good stickers! If you're sitting on 8k coins and are using six normal jumps to finish an encounter because you want to "save" your good stickers, you're playing it wrong! All you have to spend money on is stickers! Use the drat stickers!!

Sticker Star is very good.

My enjoyment of the game rose significantly when I finally started getting excellent timing consistently on the god drat hammer. It's so weird and I still wait too long and fail 20% of the time. I'll probably be much better at Color Splash as a result.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Not to mention Minecraft Wii U edition got their retail release today.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Boten Anna posted:

It's some bug in Nintendo's software that caused this whole mess though, so even if Nintendo didn't tie it to the enclosure, they sure as poo poo put in some buggy software that makes their recommended drive unstable. Also because of N's proprietary bullshit I didn't have any good options for using my PC to recover the data or transfer it or anything. I didn't want to spend even $80 for a new drive especially when TMS#FE is probably like the last retail release they're going to put out for the drat thing anyway and who knows if I'll need it for the NX (and I pray every day there's cloud saves and a large amount of internal storage so I don't.)

What I don't understand is why the WiiU storage management is so insanely locked down when on the 3DS it just throws everything in a nice folder structure on a regularly formatted SD card, and you can just copy that folder to any other SD card and it works fine.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

less laughter posted:

Sticker Star 2 is coming out in October, and Zelda next year.

Sticker Star 1 sucked and I'm not even going to consider it unless they remove the "five guys -gate" joke no matter how accidental it was because gently caress that. also this is spoilered because I don't want to fight about it don't @ me no matter how good it ends up being.

Zelda is coming to the NX so why would I even bother with the Wii U version, as I'll be there at midnight for the NX launch like every other Nintendo system :v:

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

What I don't understand is why the WiiU storage management is so insanely locked down when on the 3DS it just throws everything in a nice folder structure on a regularly formatted SD card, and you can just copy that folder to any other SD card and it works fine.

Thank you for reminding me, I was going to mention, the New 3DS was infuriating enough but at least this poo poo wasn't a problem at all. This would thing would have been less of a shitshow if I could have just backed everything up on my computer.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Boten Anna posted:

Sticker Star 1 sucked and I'm not even going to consider it (...) no matter how good it ends up being.

Don't worry, I watched that 40-minute Treehouse gameplay session from E3 and it's going to be just as terrible as the first one.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Boten Anna posted:

Sticker Star 1 sucked and I'm not even going to consider it unless they remove the "five guys -gate" joke no matter how accidental it was because gently caress that. also this is spoilered because I don't want to fight about it don't @ me no matter how good it ends up being.

You can't be loving serious.

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!

Boten Anna posted:

Don't worry, it'll probably be just as soulless and unfun as Sticker Star, regardless of...that.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

:rolleyes:

Please remove the good Five Fungis pun because it's a personal attack against me.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Its immensely tone-deaf, but probably not bad enough that they'll cut it.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
paper mario fans don't deserve happiness and i hope none of what you want comes to pass

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

absolutely anything posted:

paper mario fans don't deserve happiness and i hope none of what you want comes to pass

I'm going to enjoy Color Splash

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Evil Eagle posted:

Me too

LoveBoatCaptain
Aug 26, 2008

Celebrate as all our past ways wither, lead the way to an age of light

Evil Eagle posted:

I'm not! And I'm going to whine about it in every single thread that is even tangentially related to Nintendo over and over for several months! That'll show'em!

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

It seems like everyone is getting what they want here.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
There was a decent chunk of gameplay between those "jokes." Those screenshots were taken out of context. Nintendo already released a statement on that matter anyway.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

statement from nintendo: "we hate zoe quinn, and all women everywhere"

Breadallelogram fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jun 30, 2016

LoveBoatCaptain
Aug 26, 2008

Celebrate as all our past ways wither, lead the way to an age of light
Seriously guys, if you keep this up they're probably going to close this thread as well.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

yes, let's have and continue the same discussion that ultimately got the wiiu thread locked, my experience tells me only good things can come from this.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Jesus christ I said don't @ me.

The primary reason I don't give a poo poo about Sticker Star 2 is I bought 1 (two copies even! one as a gift!) and it was bad and unfun. That's pretty much it. I played it how I was "supposed" to or whatever and it was still not fun, at all.

If by some miracle it's actually good (it's not) I don't think it's unreasonable to not support something that makes reference to a friend's domestic abuse if they just like, leave it in there even though they know about it and had time to fix at least the digital versions. Some things are more important than video games.

If my, an internet rando, like, not wanting to purchase a video game upsets you feel free to type about it into notepad.exe, not post it anywhere, then maybe re-examine your life priorities.

Boten Anna fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jun 30, 2016

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
The lengths Paper Mario Sticker Star haters would go... They'd probably push their mothers under the bus if they said they don't even understand the hate.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Boten Anna posted:

Jesus christ why even bring it up then lol

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I'm going to play Super Mario RPG on Virtual Console, available today!

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

enojy posted:

Jesus christ why even bring it up then lol

sometimes the need to make a dumb post is just too strong

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Mario RPG is pretty great but for some reason every time I try replaying it I always burn out pretty quick

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Color Printer posted:

Mario RPG is pretty great but for some reason every time I try replaying it I always burn out pretty quick

It takes a long time to pick up. I haven't been able to play through it again either, and it's probably a combo of it taking like 10 hours for the game to be fully open and interesting, and that it has missables, which tend to cause existential angst.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Boten Anna posted:

Storage woes

I'm sorry that you had such a miserable time expanding on the Wii U's tiny internal drive, Anna. I had the opposite experience: I didn't use external storage until I picked up Wonderful 101 when Club Nintendo shut down and I couldn't fit everything on the internal drive. I own dozens of digital Wii U games, but all but two are non-AAA titles that don't take up more than a few hundred meg each. When I found out that I didn't have room for both Wonderful and Prime Trilogy and everything else, I plugged in an old WD hard drive that I had kept in mothballs for years, used the Wii U utility to move those two huge games to the external drive, and I've had no issues since. I hope that you have better luck going forward.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

JustJeff88 posted:

I'm sorry that you had such a miserable time expanding on the Wii U's tiny internal drive, Anna. I had the opposite experience: I didn't use external storage until I picked up Wonderful 101 when Club Nintendo shut down and I couldn't fit everything on the internal drive. I own dozens of digital Wii U games, but all but two are non-AAA titles that don't take up more than a few hundred meg each. When I found out that I didn't have room for both Wonderful and Prime Trilogy and everything else, I plugged in an old WD hard drive that I had kept in mothballs for years, used the Wii U utility to move those two huge games to the external drive, and I've had no issues since. I hope that you have better luck going forward.

I don't like keeping track of discs and awful load times and thus buy stuff digitally (despite the horrible drawbacks on a Nintendo system) and even with the Deluxe, well, I got XBX long after I would have filled up the internal storage with other poo poo, so that's that :shobon:

I just wanted to like, get an external, plug it in, and forget about it for the life of the system but Nintendo had other plans :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Boten Anna posted:

The primary reason I don't give a poo poo about Sticker Star 2 is I bought 1 (two copies even! one as a gift!) and it was bad and unfun. That's pretty much it. I played it how I was "supposed" to or whatever and it was still not fun, at all.

If by some miracle it's actually good (it's not) I don't think it's unreasonable to not support something that makes reference to a friend's domestic abuse if they just like, leave it in there even though they know about it and had time to fix at least the digital versions. Some things are more important than video games.

If my, an internet rando, like, not wanting to purchase a video game upsets you feel free to type about it into notepad.exe, not post it anywhere, then maybe re-examine your life priorities.

Nothing is making reference to your friend from the internet who you've never met's domestic abuse just because someone posted two screenshots out of context.