Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

god that lamp is an ugly piece of poo poo

which says a lot considering how ugly all the fake airplane furniture is

That lamp is also not cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Cheer up buttercup, the move from 2.3 to 2.4 saved around 2GB in asset size.

That's why the usual update is now 20 instead of 22-23GB.

Progress.

Fidelity.

Open development.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
lol if pgabz can get swimming animations in space.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I don;t mind the updates it's the way it kills your internet entirely while doing it, you have to pause the thing just to load a webpage

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

peter gabriel posted:

I don;t mind the updates it's the way it kills your internet entirely while doing it, you have to pause the thing just to load a webpage

This is all about bringing mid 90s gaming back. You don't expect to be able to download a game patch AND use the internet do you?

[56k no]

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

There's some settings somewhere in there where you can throttle the connection.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Colostomy Bag posted:

There's some settings somewhere in there where you can throttle the connection.

Would you care to hazard a guess as to whether they work or not?

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Scruffpuff posted:

So now we find guns are somehow tied to the suits... this is amazing. I can't believe how bad a job they've done attempting to build this game.

Not somehow, they're children of the suit object, which is the child of the player character object.
The weapons snap to attachment points on the suit.

Without a suit, those are likely missing, and it craps out.

As far as gaffes go, this one's not that outrageous.
It's the fact you can walk outside naked with a gun that's actually outrageous.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

orcinus posted:

Not somehow, they're children of the suit object, which is the child of the player character object.
The weapons snap to attachment points on the suit.

Without a suit, those are likely missing, and it craps out.

Well it basically means you can't equip a weapon properly without a suit. And given that planetary FPS will be a thing... down the road.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

:negative:

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

MarcusSA posted:

What is wrong with this forehead?

If i had to guess based on myself, neurodermatitis.
I get that poo poo when i don't get much sleep for a few days, or am stressed/anxious.

It's either that or forehead celulite.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I can't deal with all these foibles

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

Would you care to hazard a guess as to whether they work or not?

I stand corrected. Nevermind commando but shows another hilarious bug.

And yeah, in stock form it will tank your network into oblivion while only getting around 1/10 the speed according to its bar graph.

I know I read somewhere where some poor SOB was trying to find out why and found the solution...still looking.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

peter gabriel posted:

This is amazingly shady

Standard practice for a company bracing for lawsuits, though. The maze of holding corporations isn't just for tax reasons. If a class-action suit does erupt, or an investigation gets opened, then CIG can rapidly yank all their cash and assets from it and stuff them elsewhere.

I've seen this tactic in the wild. One of the first warning signs is that suddenly the company starts claiming your paperwork is addressed to the wrong entity and therefore totally invalid. This can be used to tie up lawsuits and derail asset seizures; not saying that's happened, but CIG have for some reason implemented countermeasures to prepare Just In Case.

Might be worth checking the public-facing paperwork after the TOS change, actually. If I cared enough I'd pull the land registry records for their office and see which company holds the lease. The last company I saw start to do this also began registering its assets to strange hybrid names that could be easily associated with several different holding companies . All the better to keep them away from bailiffs.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

orcinus posted:

Have you never heard of Juggalos.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
they put out these patches to deter Major Tom videos IMO.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Science fiction also tends to ignore that the relative velocities between stuff is really loving fast. Kilometers per second fast. And the distances are really loving far. Like the distance from the Earth to the Moon is 30 times the diameter of the Earth far. It's generally easier to think of distance in terms of how long it takes light to get there, since nothing can go faster than light anyway. So the distance from the Earth to the Moon is around 1.3 ls. Elite does a good job of representing the scale of space even with their FTL setup. The problem is that "real" space combat would be incredibly boring. Instead of space fighters you'd have hypervelocitic drive-by shootings where ships tried to predict where their opponents (which they could see anywhere in the solar system) would be hours or days in advance. And then try to hit those targets with clouds of tungsten dust, lasers, missiles, or possibly single shot nuclear shaped charge particle cannons. Any kind of fixed defense would be laughable.

Of course I guess if you have the ability to rapidly change velocity (maybe through some kind of reactionless drive system) then combat gets much smaller since you can see stuff coming in and dodge it. Maybe then there'd be justification for wanting to get closer to your target to actually hit them, although even then I doubt the pilots would be human since the reaction times would need to be quick enough to dodge incoming lasers or whatever. So now instead of hyper-advanced computers shooting rocks and lasers at each other from millions of kilometers away you instead have hyper-advanced computers shooting lasers and dodging each other from hundreds of thousands of kilometers away. And the occasional single shot nuclear shaped charge particle cannon.

Try Iain Banks' Excession or The Algebraist for stories with these elements.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Loxbourne posted:

Standard practice for a company bracing for lawsuits, though. The maze of holding corporations isn't just for tax reasons. If a class-action suit does erupt, or an investigation gets opened, then CIG can rapidly yank all their cash and assets from it and stuff them elsewhere.

I've seen this tactic in the wild. One of the first warning signs is that suddenly the company starts claiming your paperwork is addressed to the wrong entity and therefore totally invalid. This can be used to tie up lawsuits and derail asset seizures; not saying that's happened, but CIG have for some reason implemented countermeasures to prepare Just In Case.

Might be worth checking the public-facing paperwork after the TOS change, actually. If I cared enough I'd pull the land registry records for their office and see which company holds the lease. The last company I saw start to do this also began registering its assets to strange hybrid names that could be easily associated with several different holding companies . All the better to keep them away from bailiffs.

This is actually a completely normal part of game development. Once the title you've spent $115 million on approaches release you put the legal shields up and prepare for a storm.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
It blows my mind they put out 20gb patches with no substantive new content (or does this one actually have new stuff?)...are they at least P2P'ing the updates or are they eating the full bandwidth cost?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I'm sorry, in what ducking universe is 20GB an acceptable size for a goddamn PATCH? That's not a patch, that's a Witcher 3ish DLC if not a full game!

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6782315/#Comment_6782315

A Neurotic Jew fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jun 30, 2016

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

open development. we will show you what we can. FFS

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
62 years is enough time for the game to be complete right?

Star Citizen : 99% of the game is client side facing, the other 1% don't give a gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hc6J5rlKhIc

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

my favorite thing is the countless red flags that these dweebs who follow this on a daily basis can't see.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
https://twitter.com/SandiGardiner/status/748637577968660480

Pointy
Feb 12, 2003

hello old friend

It's the 1126 hours that's the best part, why not convert that into 46 more days?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Sandi is posting stuff because development just started

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Keep working on those high-fidelity models, CIG. Especially since all evidence indicates you won't be able to get a functioning engine to put them in.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
I like the part where while the art guy is talking so happily about how much faster the new animations are, they loop over the Cutlass exit a few times and it's basically the exact same speed.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Pointy posted:

It's the 1126 hours that's the best part, why not convert that into 46 more days?

Thats a nice detail. As usual I'm interested in what logic unintentionally resulted in that.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

G0RF posted:

Furniture supremacy on full display. Bethesda, Rockstar, you've got a long way to go before you catch up with this.

I'm the price tag hanging off the $500 directors chair

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Samizdata posted:

You all do so much with video capping and all. What's a good program to grab a screenshot of a 3D game? Doesn't need to be video, just a screen cap.

I'm using MSI Afterburner to record modern games (and some hideous thing called HyperCam 2 for really old games where MSI Afterburner doesn't work), so try that one. I had no reason to complain about it so far. And it certainly works better than Bandicam.

No guaranties about Afterburner working with Star Citizen, since I'm not willing to download all that poo poo just to test a program. Or willing to give CIG money for that matter.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

DEREK????

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Well the commands didn't do anything, but that was, erm, eventful

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

Wafflz posted:

That Banano guy constantly trying to reverse inverse the verse empty your purse troll pgabz in the comments. So good.

lol

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE
Thanks to SC, when this happened to me last night I was able to find it much funnier than I might have normally

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6IpUjOc9Zs

I do mean that sincerely. I tried to grab the bit where she actually t-poses, but it ended up being overly long to include all of it.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Of course I guess if you have the ability to rapidly change velocity (maybe through some kind of reactionless drive system) then combat gets much smaller since you can see stuff coming in and dodge it. Maybe then there'd be justification for wanting to get closer to your target to actually hit them, although even then I doubt the pilots would be human since the reaction times would need to be quick enough to dodge incoming lasers or whatever. So now instead of hyper-advanced computers shooting rocks and lasers at each other from millions of kilometers away you instead have hyper-advanced computers shooting lasers and dodging each other from hundreds of thousands of kilometers away. And the occasional single shot nuclear shaped charge particle cannon.

Dodging lasers makes no sense anyway because you wouldn't see them coming until they hit your ship. Focusing lasers at extremely long distances while tracking a moving target would be very difficult in the first place, though.

Beexoffel posted:

Try Iain Banks' Excession or The Algebraist for stories with these elements.

There's some dumb anime whose name I forget where they have vaguely realistic space combat. It starts off with a ship full of young naive recruits getting blown to smithereens by laser beams from tens of thousands of kilometers away without getting any chance to react.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

eXXon posted:

Dodging lasers makes no sense anyway because you wouldn't see them coming until they hit your ship. Focusing lasers at extremely long distances while tracking a moving target would be very difficult in the first place, though.

Hundreds of thousands of kilometers still translates to a distance of light-seconds. The idea wouldn't be that you're actually dodging incoming fire, it's that your ship is moving constantly so that you can't reliably hit your target because you can't predict where they will be.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Polish Avenger posted:

Thats a nice detail. As usual I'm interested in what logic unintentionally resulted in that.

64bit precision. Why implement it if you're only going to show 24 hours to a day?

eXXon posted:

Depends on the quality of your sensors. If you can reasonably detect where the lenses are pointing and when energy is being built up, you can probably figure out when and where a shot is coming. This would require ridiculously short distances, of course, but then, as you mention, lasers are pretty short-ranged weapons to begin with, so it might work anyway.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jul 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

peter gabriel posted:

Well the commands didn't do anything, but that was, erm, eventful

What happened?

• Locked thread