Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

mabels big day posted:

But is all of that canon?

Cannons are canon, Guts has a little one in his arm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
And that little one produces enough angular momentum to get the sword going (at "visible" speeds).

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Guts is strong and I like him a lot because of it.:3:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Am I the only one who doesn't really mind the CG from the Golden Age films or from what's airing tomorrow?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I like the films yeah

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

They're not a great adapation, the frame rates are inexplicably low at times and sometimes the CGI is really poo poo but they're still quite enjoyable viewing and they're definitely not the worst thing to ever happen.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
The background extras tend to look like bad marionettes copy/pasted all over the place, and the toon shader they use doesn't feel like all that great of a match for how the main characters look.

It was a hell of a lot better by movie 3, but the first entry is really rough and worth a warning. It's not Beowulf's background bad, that's several years of CGI shame earlier. I still enjoyed the movies mind you.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
As we're voting, you can include me in the "movies are watchable" category. The first one is an unfortunate thing all around, which makes it an awful introduction to the story for any newbie. In general, the only thing the movies have going for them is the animation in the larger battles.

Also possibly better in the movies: Bazuso fight, the ballroom :razz:, errmmmm... Judeau is a lot better. Griffith raping Charlotte is better at conveying the madness in that whole scene. That's about it then. I actually like the soundtrack, generally, but I'm not going to claim it's better/worse than the anime.

I've been slowly rewatching the anime as time permits, and I'm still on the "anime is better" side. The 100 Man Battle is remarkably better in the anime, even with the still-scanning.

The movies are just about some poo poo happening. The anime is about why the people decide to make the poo poo happen.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

I'm not a fan of the movies. They are ok if you've seen the show or read the manga, but they shouldn't be anyone's first exposure. I will say that their version of the eclipse is really effective though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Grouchio posted:

Am I the only one who doesn't really mind the CG from the Golden Age films or from what's airing tomorrow?

I think it looks mostly fine I just really hate the low frame rate.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

TheManSeries posted:

I will say that their version of the eclipse is really effective though.
If the movie music could be replaced with the original tracks, that would be nearly perfect.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The music was the biggest disappointment of the movies. Other than the dumb flag tossing bit.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Holy poo poo. I've been re-reading the Tower of Conviction arc to prepare for properly complaining about the anime, and I ONLY NOW noticed an awesome little detail about just HOW Guts defeats Mozgus.

Guts' falling attack doesn't kill Mozgus because his bible blocks the worst of it. Once he transforms, he wedges the half-destroyed book into his armour. At first I thought: sure, he's incredibly pious, it's totally like him to take it into battle. Guts later notices that the only gap in Mozgus' armour is actually directly under the bible, so he hacks in there and that's it.

In hindsight, it's obvious that Mozgus knew about that weakspot - and he tried protecting it with his bible. Because to him, the holy book is obviously the most powerful shield of them all. If he wasn't absolutely convinced of that, he actually might've protected that spot with his wings or something, but HE DIDN'T.

Mozgus was done in by his absolute faith :aaaaa:

I love this arc

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Genocyber posted:

It was made to be a sword capable of slaying a dragon, I don't see what's ridiculous here.
even big swords only weigh like 4-5 pounds.

not that it's not good that it's ridiculous, but it is ridiculous.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I'm rereading the start of this arc too and I had forgotten that one of the main reasons Guts is taken by the Holy Iron Chain Knights is that he's weakened to poo poo by the fight with Rosine, but it doesn't look like that's being adapted in the new show...so what's the reason going to be for him being captured? The lucky stab by Farnese becomes really lucky?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

They'll probably summarise Lost Children

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Josuke Higashikata posted:

They'll probably summarise Lost Children

"Guts killed a naked kid demon moth fighter jet."

Okay

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

"Guts fought a really tough apostle and he's all hosed up" is really easy to handwave. They could just put it after the slug count if they're gonna do the Black Swordsman too.

Of course then you don't get Farnese discovering a pile of burned child corpses....

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The movies fix that dumb castle invasion thing, it's still dumb but makes some sense.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

They could just have him tired after an entire night staying up fighting. Like have him travel with the girl and her father who then get possessed/killed by the evil souls following Guts, and then the Iron Chain knights attack him in the morning after he's been spending all night fighting skeletons. It wouldn't make him look as powerful as still being able to fight after beating an apostle, but it could sorta work.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
The story is so well motivated that it's tough to chomp pieces. He just beat Rosine by sacrificing a little bit more of himself; he just told the other girl that the world sucks (I've been so bad with names lately, sorry), after he got injured from saving her; he just killed a bunch of children and doused himself in fetus squeezings. "He was fighting last night" is so weak of an excuse it's insulting.

Will they do it? Sure. They'll throw in a few frames and make it look like he's been fighting nonstop for a while, and then cut to him limping through the woods. Or they'll just open with him in a cage.

I know, people won't care if we open with the Eclipse.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Miura was script supervisor on this series so I'm hoping not to have too many complaints on the writing. And the music and voices will probably be fine too. It's all up the animation to carry it through.

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug
I will be disappointed if they skip out on the Beast of Darkness first showing up and Guts and Puck finally becoming friends, that's one of my favorite parts in the manga.

:3: saved by your strength :3:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

This episode is loving rough.
Pacing is weird, content is weird, sounds pretty rough, the OP is quite good as a whole, the ED sucks.

It'll be up on Crunchy in around 35 minutes as of post.

The next ep preview though...

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jul 1, 2016

bondster
May 6, 2007

That was really frustrating to watch.

Ironically enough my biggest complaints aren't even with CG. It was the awkward loving editing and pacing that it just shoves around.

There are some redeeming things that make this a 3 episode test: the music is really good, there were a few good moments Guts suddenly cleaving away undead Colette was great, and they don't seem to shy away from the dark poo poo.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

The opening is pretty good but :laffo: what is that ending poo poo with that song and the loving constellations? Who thought that was a good idea?

I'll have to post some bigger thoughts later, but yeah, the pacing is weird and some of the changes were awkward. Having Isidro at the bar and then attempting to catch up to Guts/Puck seemed really pointless other than saying "Look, we're adapting more stuff! We promise!".

I liked some of the music, particularly the short acoustic track at the end. Really rough way to open but that preview at the end for the next episode looks promising.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I just need the Hai Yo full version like yesterday.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012
That was indeed a very wierdly paced episode. Seeing as Puck didn't fix him up at the end of the episode and Gut's is litterally being attacked by the chain knights first thing in the morning, I'm guessing that they're going to be using the stab wound Colette gave him as excuse for why he under perfoms against them. Puck can then reveal his healing powers when he helps gut's escape in the next episode. It's not as badass as coming off the Rosine fight but it's something I guess.

I hope this gets better is all I can really say at this point. It has potential but they really needed more than one episode for this set up.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Yeah that was pretty bad. Also disappointing to me since I was hoping they'd do a cold open at the end of the Rosine fight. That would work fine as an introduction I feel, and would have at least been no less jarring than the weird editing they went with here.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I thought the first episode was okay. Did a good job setting up the premise and setting the tone. It looks kinda bad, but not unwatchable bad. About what I expected, all and all.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

OnimaruXLR posted:

I thought the first episode was okay. Did a good job setting up the premise and setting the tone. It looks kinda bad, but not unwatchable bad. About what I expected, all and all.

I'm gonna mirror this sentiment. And was it just me, or was there some instances of non-CG art going on in that episode? It gets hard to tell.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

bman in 2288 posted:

I'm gonna mirror this sentiment. And was it just me, or was there some instances of non-CG art going on in that episode? It gets hard to tell.

There were a few static and limited motion shots that seemed to be hand drawn

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Stupid cute puck is handdrawn for sure.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

A lot of the 2D animation looks fine, which still makes me wish they made the whole thing that way but the I remember about how Dragonball Super looked prior to the Bluray release and ughhhhh

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

They skipped not only Lost Children but Black Swordsman and the Dragon-slayer reveal, whitewashed Casca, and managed to make the animation/editing worse than in the PV. Jesus fuckin-

JESUS CHRIST ON A POGOSTICK

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jul 1, 2016

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Gonna get that Griffith.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Grouchio posted:

They skipped not only Lost Children but Black Swordsman and the Dragon-slayer reveal, whitewashed Casca, and managed to make the animation/editing worse than in the PV. Jesus fuckin-

JESUS CHRIST ON A POGOSTICK

Need a cleaned up version of this for new avatar

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

bondster posted:

That was really frustrating to watch.

Ironically enough my biggest complaints aren't even with CG. It was the awkward loving editing and pacing that it just shoves around.

There are some redeeming things that make this a 3 episode test: the music is really good, there were a few good moments Guts suddenly cleaving away undead Colette was great, and they don't seem to shy away from the dark poo poo.

The 3 episode test is loving retarded. Watch it until you don't want to watch it anymore. Don't force yourself to watch something that you aren't enjoying on the off chance that it will end up being good. If it ends up being good you will hear about it later (I am very anti 3 episode test as I'm sure you can tell).

Generally the first episode of a season looks the best and I have a hard time imagining what the CG is gonna look like in a few episodes down the line. So I am gonna peace out of this motherfucker. Yada yada read the manga.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Please excuse the black bars. I took this picture with my iPad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I confess I'm moderately concerned.