Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Verranicus posted:

So if someone leaves during the assemble team part of a comp match do they still get a "leave"? I hope so, because having to wait 30 seconds for the match to end because of their poo poo is obnoxious.

we should duo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Verranicus posted:

So if someone leaves during the assemble team part of a comp match do they still get a "leave"? I hope so, because having to wait 30 seconds for the match to end because of their poo poo is obnoxious.

As far as I know they get both a loss and a leave even if they leave during assemble.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jun 30, 2016

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003
if you can balance a tac-hammer on your head, you can head off your opponent with a balanced attack

Retro Futurist posted:

They're just getting it right so it can be perfect when they launch it on console, for all the real players :chord:

:perfect:

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
"It's not about people getting their feelings hurt. It's just general manners.

For example, in Fencing you salute your opponent and the official/judge before the fight. Then, after the fight, the combatants shake hands. It's not about protecting people's feelings, it's about not being an uncultured swine.

Same goes for GG. Traditionally, the losing team will say GG first, and then the winning team says it. We're not trying to protect sensitive flowers. We're just trying to be civilized."

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20745615582

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Verranicus posted:

For example, in Fencing you salute your opponent and the official/judge before the fight. Then, after the fight, the combatants shake hands. It's not about protecting people's feelings, it's about not being an uncultured swine.

Same goes for GG. Traditionally, the losing team will say GG first, and then the winning team says it. We're not trying to protect sensitive flowers. We're just trying to be civilized."

why is the default font like 20p

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

"Truthfully most players under the age of 30 have no concept of what it's like to actually compete with someone face to face and own up to their performance and behavior at the same time, or have to pay for their mouths on the playground, win or lose."

this guy got his assed whooped for being a smartmouth lol

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
goon stream still going: https://www.twitch.tv/whatspeakyou

Bad roadhog hooks for all.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Verranicus posted:

He's right.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

whatspeakyou posted:

goon stream still going: https://www.twitch.tv/whatspeakyou

Bad roadhog hooks for all.

Huh, weird, i just started to watch some twitch videos (non-live), and they're all blocky, while yours is crystal clear, for some reason.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
So what's the easiest way to record things that are happening in my Overwatchery if I don't have a GeForce card? I conc jumped to punch a Pharah out of the sky and it saddens me that such awesomeness is lost forever.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

How hard would it be to do something like a baseball sabremetrics WAR rating for a game like this? It seems like it would be relatively easy and that would be a better proxy for skill in a team game than k/d or w/l ratios.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Disgusting Coward posted:

So what's the easiest way to record things that are happening in my Overwatchery if I don't have a GeForce card? I conc jumped to punch a Pharah out of the sky and it saddens me that such awesomeness is lost forever.

can't you just run OBS on record :iiam:

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Baby Babbeh posted:

How hard would it be to do something like a baseball sabremetrics WAR rating for a game like this? It seems like it would be relatively easy and that would be a better proxy for skill in a team game than k/d or w/l ratios.

Wins Above Replacement Hanzo

khy
Aug 15, 2005

XSplit broadcaster is free, but won't record 60FPS unless you pay for it. It'll also give you a bitchy splash screen with a 10s countdown saying "PLEASE PAY US".

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Baby Babbeh posted:

Overwatch has a stats screen that shows how well you performed per match. They could just write an algorithm that sums up your Elims/Objective Time/Heals and it would be an entirely more accurate system than the current W/L ratio.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Verranicus posted:

"Manner" is basically only a thing among Starcraft players; if SC2 is your only exposure to competitive games then you're going to have a rude awakening when you try to apply those principles elsewhere.

The only other place where "offensive gg" is a thing is in Dota 2 tournament play, since typing "gg" into allchat in a custom Dota 2 lobby starts a surrender countdown, and canceling the countdown is frowned upon by tournament organizers.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Thor-Stryker posted:

Overwatch has a stats screen that shows how well you performed per match. They could just write an algorithm that sums up your Elims/Objective Time/Heals and it would be an entirely more accurate system than the current W/L ratio.

Those stats are completely meaningless though. Stomped the enemy team? You have poo poo stats because the match ended quickly. Did nothing but tag people from a zillion miles away as DVa + shot at a reinhardt shield all day? You are the most amazing player to ever exist, according to the stats. Decided to play a character who generally doesn't do amazingly well statistically but can still be very helpful, like Symmetra or Mei? Welcome to garbage town, you piece of trash. etc, etc

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
most game communities being filled to the brim with inconsiderate jackasses isn't something to excuse or feel particularly proud of, but i'll admit im unfamiliar with the order of calls mattering. in league of legends it's just something anybody says at some point after the game ends if they aren't a dipshit, or before the game ends if they are

if there were an order i would have guessed it would be the other way around, with the burden being on the winning team to be sportsmanlike about their victory rather than the team that got crushed.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
What's the deal with Master Overwatch not updating over the past few days?

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Vargs posted:

Those stats are completely meaningless though. Stomped the enemy team? You have poo poo stats because the match ended quickly.
As it should, your rating is based on your performance, and if you had such an easy performance that you stomped the enemy team, you wont get as big a boost as you would for a cut-throat race to the end.

Vargs posted:

Did nothing but tag people from a zillion miles away as DVa + shot at a reinhardt shield all day? You are the most amazing player to ever exist, according to the stats.
What stats are these? I've never seen a D.Va with gold stats outside of Objective time come to think of it.

Vargs posted:

Decided to play a character who generally doesn't do amazingly well statistically but can still be very helpful, like Symmetra or Mei? Welcome to garbage town, you piece of trash. etc, etc
It's not like people play those classes in competitive anyways. :iamafag: However, Blizzard could introduce 'assist' stats that include non-essential tasks like team-teleports, damage absorption based on class, objective delaying/denial, turret damage etc. Its all stuff Bliz could have done if they had actually prepped an actual rank system.

Instead we get personally ranked on who has the shittier team-mates each match.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

Are you on Windows 10? There is a built-in game recorder, just press Win+Alt+R to record and press it again to stop. Video settings can be configured within the Xbox app.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Is ShadowPlay not the best solution for someone with an NVIDIA card?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
ShadowPlay likely beats anything else simply because it's nothing extra really.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Where's the Zenyatta buff blizzard? Where does it live

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
How the gently caress do I fix this? It's basically crashing every single day

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Mister Fister posted:

Huh, weird, i just started to watch some twitch videos (non-live), and they're all blocky, while yours is crystal clear, for some reason.

That's because your video quality settings probably aren't set to "source" and since he's not a partner it just sets it to the highest possible quality and you can't change it. It sucks for mobile users since you can't regulate bandwidth usage.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Just won a KoTH and it gave me a nice chunk of MMR movement. Looks like they might have hotfixed it on their side. There are a few reports on the forums real recently that claim the same.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Internet Explorer posted:

Is ShadowPlay not the best solution for someone with an NVIDIA card?

Shadowplay has like zero impact on performance BUT unlike something like Fraps it records at a variable framerate which leads to audio desync sometimes and a lot of editing software can't handle variable framerate video at all. I used it for a while because of the lack of a performance hit but when 1/4 of my recordings ended up being unuseable thanks to desync unless I jumped through many annoying hoops I dropped it.

Phantasmal
Jun 6, 2001

Baby Babbeh posted:

Really difficult to do well, and potentially impossible to do in a way that fulfills all the functions of an MMR system.

Baseball is a very easy game to break down statistically because it's a series of discrete events involving limited actors in clearly defined roles. Overwatch has none of these things going for it. We're going to use damage done in our super complex rating formula because it's clearly a good thing? Well we obviously have to measure it on a character-by-character basis. But then we also have to take into account map type, since KotH games likely have higher DPS scores on average. Then for non-KotH s we have to account for whether you're on offense or defense, because that likely has an effect on expected DPS. We also have to take into account what kind of a game it was, because, for example, defense DPS will typically be higher on victories where the opponents never leave their spawn than it will on matches that feature a lot of unopposed cart pushing time. Unless, of course, people on the offense quit, giving the defenders less targets to build up their damage totals. And while we're on the subject, we also have to account for the fact that your DPS will typically be higher versus a Reinhardt/Roadhog pairing than when you're facing 3 squishy flankers, a Hanzo, a Widowmaker, and the world's saltiest Zenyatta. Provided the former game isn't a crushing defeat.

But suppose you can get around all that. Is it even what you want from an MMR system? Because keep in mind, the same number we're using to give people their feel-good points is also being used to create matches in the first place. In one of these threads, someone mentioned that a pro player kept getting put on teams where he'd consistently get all the gold medals but still lose the game, so the game should dock him less/no MMR because he was clearly wasn't at fault for the loss. Maybe this seems fair, but it's really dumb because this modification would just continue give him tougher games with even weaker teammates, resulting in him becoming more likely to get gold medals and avoid losing MMR. The game matched him with the expectation that he would carry the game, and it's absolutely appropriate for him to lose MMR because he did not carry hard enough. We already know he's better than 99% of the other 5 people he'll ever get matched with in solo queue; we don't need to add another entire stat system on top just to validate this.

The even worse outcome is that any complex stat rating system will be gamed. Dota 2 ran into this hard with their calibration system:

quote:

You think smurfs are bad? Well, you have no idea. The worst of the worst are TBD-People aka "to be determined". These people still have to play calibration matches to determine their initial rating. Is that not wonderful? They are in 5,5k-6k~ average MMR games claiming mid every single time. Let us take a look what these people mostly gonna do: They will instant pick Zeus, move to middle, get their level 6 and after that they will spam their Ultimate off-cooldown until the game ends. Nice. And why do they do that? Dota 2 MMR calibration heavily depends on certain values. One of them is the Hero-Damage during a game. Zeus allows to get stellar values without being very good at the game.

My understanding is that this particular exploit is now fixed, but possibly at the expense of Zeus and other heroes becoming detrimental to your post-calibration MMR.

Overwatch has the potential for the same kind of issue to arise when it comes to supports. People already believe that support characters are penalized during calibration because teams played together and the support players on these teams tended to calibrate lower than the dps. Suppose that this is just a result of these teams stomping so hard that healing isn't needed, resulting in weak metrics for the support players, and as a result solo queue supports are completely unhindered. But if people start to believe that the system actively penalizes playing support, you'll find more pub games devolve into a fight over who gets stuck playing support due to what might be nothing more than a baseless superstition.

Metrics are cool and all when you're studying a system, but they only work if the participants are oblivious to them. As soon as it becomes clear that they rate you acquire your terrible looking guns is tied to how many hanzos per second you can replace, everything will go to poo poo. Standard Win/Loss systems are no more unfair and far less problematic in the long run.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Sounds like the way people use Google trends as conclusive data points.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
Goon in-house starting :getin: https://www.twitch.tv/whatspeakyou

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
really long and close game on gibraltar, we were in overtime for a long rear end time, my whole team wiped with one or two dying a couple seconds before the rest of us so someone was able to contest the last point as I ran up to save the match and subsequently blow us up to victory

https://gfycat.com/GrizzledPoshInganue

nickhimself fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jul 1, 2016

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Proposition Joe posted:

What's the deal with Master Overwatch not updating over the past few days?

It pulls from playoverwatch.com and Blizzard have been the target of a DDOS for the past few days.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

DrSeRRoD posted:

Just won a KoTH and it gave me a nice chunk of MMR movement. Looks like they might have hotfixed it on their side. There are a few reports on the forums real recently that claim the same.

saw the same thing on lassiz's stream so it might actually be fixed :O

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Ranked mode is super discouraging. You lose like half a level for every loss and then a win only get back half of that. People say the exp is based on how you perform but how can it work that out, given some heroes are blatantly better at earning medals than others? And even when I get golds I lose the same amount of exp as in games where I don't.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I just hooked a Torbjörn completely behind me when he was roughly 6 feet away and stationary.

I refuse to play Roadhog again until they fix whatever the gently caress is going on with his hook.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

This might be the first game I just play for fun and skip competitive mode altogether. I am actually OK with that. The idea of grinding to 100 doesn't sound remotely fun

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

Ranked mode is super discouraging. You lose like half a level for every loss and then a win only get back half of that. People say the exp is based on how you perform but how can it work that out, given some heroes are blatantly better at earning medals than others? And even when I get golds I lose the same amount of exp as in games where I don't.

Kaplan recently said the skill rating stuff was "zero-sum", which would suggest that the total rating lost by the losing team is equal to the total rating gained by the winners. If your skill change is always one-step-forward two-steps-back, it might just mean you and/or your teammates were placed too high and you're not winning the matches the system thinks you should be.

XyrlocShammypants posted:

This might be the first game I just play for fun and skip competitive mode altogether. I am actually OK with that. The idea of grinding to 100 doesn't sound remotely fun

It's looking unlikely that even the best of the best will be able to claw their way up to 100.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

XyrlocShammypants posted:

I'd funhaver brofist, but my aim's so bad I'd just whiff it.