Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Finally got around to picking up Until Dawn. I forgot just how uneventful Emily and Matts trip is at the beginning. They leave the lodge to go find her bag and in the meantime Josh gets cut in half and Jessica gets kidnapped. They get back and it's like "hey guys what's u---OH MY GOD YOU'RE COVERED IN BLOOD"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Len posted:

Finally got around to picking up Until Dawn. I forgot just how uneventful Emily and Matts trip is at the beginning. They leave the lodge to go find her bag and in the meantime Josh gets cut in half and Jessica gets kidnapped. They get back and it's like "hey guys what's u---OH MY GOD YOU'RE COVERED IN BLOOD"

It's been a while since I played, I remember that scene being for certain people only, like a bonus or something, I can't remember. Did they patch it on for everyone?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I tried the RE7 demo and while it was kind of spooky it did suffer a bit from "I know nothing is going to happen" syndrome. It's a bad sign when I get bored during the part where you are filming the two other guys and I started to only film their butts to mess up their inevitable found footage movie.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

A. Beaverhausen posted:

It's been a while since I played, I remember that scene being for certain people only, like a bonus or something, I can't remember. Did they patch it on for everyone?

Oh hey apparently the pre-order DLC covers that empty stretch of space. I did find it slightly weird that they just kind of disappear and don't come back for a bit. I just figured they went out and got into a fight or made snow angels or something.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
My friend really likes to watch Let's Plays of horror games instead of horror games, and all I watch are people like Voidburger or Kamoc who kinda take away from that atmosphere and I don't want anything loud like Pewdiepie

What are some scary atmosphere games I could show her? We already watched a commentary-less P.T. and I'm downloading Resident Evil 7 right now

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

RealFoxy posted:

My friend really likes to watch Let's Plays of horror games instead of horror games, and all I watch are people like Voidburger or Kamoc who kinda take away from that atmosphere and I don't want anything loud like Pewdiepie

What are some scary atmosphere games I could show her? We already watched a commentary-less P.T. and I'm downloading Resident Evil 7 right now

If she likes Alien, then Alien Isolation.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

RealFoxy posted:

Raedwulf is nowhere near as annoying as Pewds, but he does more Indy jump scare games than atmospheric ones I'm afraid

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Speaking of Pewds and his wailing like a banshee.

Kotaku is the first link that showed up http://kotaku.com/pewdiepie-got-kicked-out-of-his-recording-studio-for-be-1782172056

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

RealFoxy posted:

Are you looking for LPER recommendations or games?

If it's games then Amnesia: TDD, Outlast, and Layers of Fear probably have eight thousand LPs each. As for less common,

- Cold Fear
- Alien Isolation
- Cryostasis
- the early parts of Call of Cthulu
- All the Silent Hills

And I feel that I should plug my own The Cat Lady LP, but that has subtitles so I'm not sure if you want something totally virgin

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
i really liked the cat lady personally, it hooked me from the get go with its weird art style

it was very morbid and interesting though

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Rafza posted:

i really liked the cat lady personally, it hooked me from the get go with its weird art style

it was very morbid and interesting though

I loved The Cat Lady. It is one of the best depictions of depression I've seen. Either the developer suffers from it or is very close to someone that does. The game is rough as hell but I still think it's great. I can understand if the gameplay doesn't grab ya though, but even if it doesn't I would still recommend watching an LP of it. It's really cool.

Also concerning that list, I've never understood how something like Penumbra became popular and led to further games but Cryostasis died a painful death. Cryostasis deserved more than it got.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I forgot how enjoyable Until Dawn was. I powered through it in one sitting and managed to save everyone that time. Now they need to make another only have it use a spooky haunted house as the setting instead of teens trapped in the wilderness.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Leper Residue posted:

I loved The Cat Lady. It is one of the best depictions of depression I've seen. Either the developer suffers from it or is very close to someone that does. The game is rough as hell but I still think it's great. I can understand if the gameplay doesn't grab ya though, but even if it doesn't I would still recommend watching an LP of it. It's really cool.

Also concerning that list, I've never understood how something like Penumbra became popular and led to further games but Cryostasis died a painful death. Cryostasis deserved more than it got.

Was Penumbra all that popular when it came out? I don't really remember what was a Big Deal in 2008 but I feel like a lot of the people who enjoy it now do so because they played Amnesia: TDD first.

And yeah, The Cat Lady is a pretty good game. It can get a little ridiculously janky in terms of plot at times but overall it is pretty atmospheric and the art style is awesome. Controls are awful, but I guess you can't have it all.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Was Penumbra all that popular when it came out? I don't really remember what was a Big Deal in 2008 but I feel like a lot of the people who enjoy it now do so because they played Amnesia: TDD first.

And yeah, The Cat Lady is a pretty good game. It can get a little ridiculously janky in terms of plot at times but overall it is pretty atmospheric and the art style is awesome. Controls are awful, but I guess you can't have it all.

Yeah, the only reason I even played Penumbra was because I wanted more amnesia. All of them are solid though

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

Yeah, the only reason I even played Penumbra was because I wanted more amnesia. All of them are solid though

The first Penumbra was alright, the second was really good, the third was...not good. It was weird, like they wanted to make a puzzle game and just had a horror game engine lying around so they thought "Eh fuckit."

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
assemblence is out, probably wont get any reviews

just noticed it's "the first episode" ugh

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Morpheus posted:

The first Penumbra was alright, the second was really good, the third was...not good. It was weird, like they wanted to make a puzzle game and just had a horror game engine lying around so they thought "Eh fuckit."

If I remember correctly that is exactly what they did

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Relin posted:

assemblence is out, probably wont get any reviews

just noticed it's "the first episode" ugh

Who? what?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
Wake me up when routine drops.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Are there any other horror games like Until Dawn? I'm not much of a horror guy but my friends and I did a co-op majority-wins-decisions playthrough and it was SUCH A BLAST to play.

Earlier in the thread someone mentioned Life is Strange (later chapters) so we got that, haven't played it yet. Any others worth picking up?

The less...intensely scary, the better. At least for me. I have no head for suspense.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Yes I would like to play through a Beksinski painting thank you

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Just got Oxenfree and have it and Subnautica downloading while I'm at work. Hopefully it scratches that Life is Strange/Until Dawn itch without having to resort to Beyond Two Souls just yet.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

We giger now

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
YES, SIR. Dat Giger/Beksinski/Cronenberg mash-up style is a-ok with me.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

That's gorgeous

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Oh gently caress yes.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

You can do that right now!

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

ehhhhh....

However, Scorn is selling something that I might be in the market for.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Music gave me a big FSOL vibe https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bcsdkk_ON1c

al-azad
May 28, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

ehhhhh....

However, Scorn is selling something that I might be in the market for.

I don't know what they're selling, it's just a CGI trailer. Never forget Dead Island.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i got an achievement for a can falling off a shelf in nightcry

Mystery
You have seen one HORROR

if you say so game

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I think even If its just walking through those amazing environments, its worth playing. Hopefully there will be more to the game though.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-06-30-scorn-is-hr-giger-inspired-nightmare-fuel

It's a shooting/puzzle game that wants to tell a story in the environment. The other interesting thing is you supposedly won't be shooting a lot of the creatures.

E: Almost forgot,

chitoryu12 posted:

Just got Oxenfree and have it and Subnautica downloading while I'm at work. Hopefully it scratches that Life is Strange/Until Dawn itch without having to resort to Beyond Two Souls just yet.

Please, please don't give David Cage money.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

A. Beaverhausen posted:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-06-30-scorn-is-hr-giger-inspired-nightmare-fuel

It's a shooting/puzzle game that wants to tell a story in the environment. The other interesting thing is you supposedly won't be shooting a lot of the creatures.

"No procedural generation" is worthy of a spot in a feature list these days.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

treat posted:

"No procedural generation" is worthy of a spot in a feature list these days.

sooooo... Layers of Fear was pretty good

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Relin posted:

i got an achievement for a can falling off a shelf in nightcry

Mystery
You have seen one HORROR

if you say so game

I assume it was supposed to be something to make you jump if you were on edge and running from scissorwalker or something

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Not really a horror game (and some may argue it's not even a GOOD game) but Dante's Inferno was directly influenced by the works of Beksinski. As were some of the later levels of Lord of Shadows.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dante's Inferno is half an okay game and half ran out of money/time

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I laughed my rear end off when I got to the final circle of hell and it was literally one corridor then a fight with satan's giant dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

sooooo... Layers of Fear was pretty good

The atmosphere was good, but that story...euuch. Maybe that was intentional, but I dislike playing as completely repellent protagonist. Most games don't pull that off well.

Drunken Baker posted:

I laughed my rear end off when I got to the final circle of hell and it was literally one corridor then a fight with satan's giant dick.

I can't take Cleopatra's hellspawn-vomiting breasts seriously. Another game with amazing monster design but typical story hang-ups (see: Satan's Giant Dick. Username, anyone?).