Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

PBS Newshour posted:

Isn't it more they bring three blades to a tournament, but have to replace all three at the end?

Everyone brings spare parts and I imagine most teams have some idea what parts are most likely to need replacing and really stock up on those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Yeah. I imagine that's where a huge chunk of the bot cost is--not just in development and fabrication, but getting extras of everything you can.

I mean, if you were Bombshell and did well enough to do a wildcard slot, but still had all your internals extra-crispy with no way to fix it, you'd be pretty disappointed.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Xelkelvos posted:

If I had the numbers, I could probably do the rough calculations on how much force the blade and all of the other bits receive on impact. It's probably a lot given the amount of force its dealing and I imagine the story about Tombstone's creators having to replace the blade every match isn't entirely untrue.

Straight from the man himself, not accounting for frictional losses.

Chassis gets replaced every couple of tournaments, blades get replaced when the break or visibly crack.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

GuavaMoment posted:

I understand it might not look like it, but there's a lot of engineering to be done to make a robot like Tombstone. It's far from lazy and might actually be one of the more labor intensive robots out there. Even after a good match Tombstone does a lot of unnoticeable damage to it's own frame, requiring lots of repairs.

I imagine if the new Battlebots seasons keep being successes then someday they might go back to the old system of having a few seeded robots and then a tournament to fill out the rest of the spots from anyone and everyone who's willing to show up. For the people who were there - how long was the filming of this season? Old Battlebots season 5 took a week but I imagine this one was only a few days at most?

I think it was Thursday - Sunday this year. I was there Friday night and got to see some really good fights (but mainly a lot super quick, violent knockouts).

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

The Glumslinger posted:

I think it was Thursday - Sunday this year. I was there Friday night and got to see some really good fights (but mainly a lot super quick, violent knockouts).
Where (and when) did this poo poo go down?
On the ABC lot?

I would have loved to have collected some tix and gone but I just assumed they were gonna roll tape up in Marin County or wherever they held it last year up in NoCal.

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

OAquinas posted:

Yeah. I imagine that's where a huge chunk of the bot cost is--not just in development and fabrication, but getting extras of everything you can.

I mean, if you were Bombshell and did well enough to do a wildcard slot, but still had all your internals extra-crispy with no way to fix it, you'd be pretty disappointed.

We got pretty lucky there. I think in total we replaced about $30 in electronics and a few wheels after the match. It just happened to be that the things that did melt were rather necessary to the robot moving.

The Glumslinger posted:

Fri-Mon were prep/inspection/photography
Tues-Wed were the qualifiers
Thurs was a repair day/day off
Fri-Sun were round of 32-finals

Edit:

Robnoxious posted:

Where (and when) did this poo poo go down?
On the ABC lot?

I would have loved to have collected some tix and gone but I just assumed they were gonna roll tape up in Marin County or wherever they held it last year up in NoCal.

Season 2 was filmed at LA Hanger Studios in the middle of April. (http://www.lahangar.com/)

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
hey guys, its robot fighting time

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Mounted cannons that fire projectiles. Interesting.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The MIT guys all splitting up is pretty funny.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
This battlebot was able to buy a AR-15 without any id or a background check from a walmart

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
ok battlebots is wrestling now

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Holy poo poo.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Indiana Jones gif

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Wow

What was he shooting

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Projectiles are bullshit.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
How is that legal? lol

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Haha, fake bullets and a suicide.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Holy poo poo :catstare:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

lol, moebius killed itself.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
lol it was all luck

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
What just happened LOL

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Hahaha

That was legitimate good commentary, in any sport

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

That is what you call a Battlebot Hernia I guess. Spins up, all it's guts on the floor in 5 seconds. Guess they should have spent more time on the bot than the costumes!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
That was perfect build up to that amazing punchline

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
That was great!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Awww i missed the first 15 minutes because I keep forgetting I have an antenna now

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Oh hey its the "i am quitting guy" who didn't quit

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Ghost Raptor you loving moron

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Good lord, S.o.W tore Ghost raptor apart.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Wtf Ghost raptor? What a lovely robot. What were they thinking?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Subyng posted:

"We can Muhammad Ali" this fight guys.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Well there goes my favorite bot of last year

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Subyng posted:

I think they were hoping their arm was strong enough to take repeated blows from SoW and let it tear itself up.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Pakled posted:

I think they were hoping their arm was strong enough to take repeated blows from SoW and let it tear itself up.

It looked like it was but the connecty parts to the arm weren't.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

I think Lucky and Disco Inferno were the only losing bots that put up a good fight

Gonna be some bad wild cards

And the bot that got the pin on Minotaur

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I really dig lockjaw's design. Let's see if it can do any damage

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Amazing driving by Lockjaw

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
That was really fun. Lockjaw's driving was very impressive, especially considering how the wheels got damaged early on. I hope the loser of this gets a wild card.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Now that was a match!

Yeti should have stopped trying to go for frontal attacks, obviously. If they went for side attacks rather than relatively ineffectually spinning their spinner into a concave area, they might have won easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Lockjaw is falling apart and its still the better driver

• Locked thread