Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

WrathOfBlade posted:

Hayes hit at something last week when he brought up the show being for the listener vs. for the guest - most of the time when the Best Show veers into the bad radio zone it's because Tom is desperately trying to placate an Eff Pea who may or may not get the show.

On the positive side, man the Wurster calls have been good lately

Yeah he's always been a real kiss up to anyone famous enough to fill up a bar, with the exception of Michael K and Kevin Smith. It's been the weakest part of the show for as long as I've tuned in.

I Love Michael K though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Binowru posted:

Ugh I'm sure Neil Hagerty is a fine musician but these weekly calls are so dull.

I skip them entirely because they're boring as hell.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Illinois Smith posted:

I don't think the people he has on the show now are any more really famous than during the WFMU days. Also Tom doing awkward phone interviews isn't a new development. I'm sure the early pages of this thread have plenty of posts bitching about Todd Barry's calls.

When was the Bob Odenkirk call? It was either right before the show ended on WFMU or not too long after they started over.

The Neil Hagerty stuff is pretty boring but I generally enjoy the Kurt Vile talks even though I don't care about his music too much.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Illinois Smith posted:

I don't think the people he has on the show now are any more really famous than during the WFMU days. Also Tom doing awkward phone interviews isn't a new development. I'm sure the early pages of this thread have plenty of posts bitching about Todd Barry's calls.

i forgot about those

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Dr.Radical posted:

When was the Bob Odenkirk call? It was either right before the show ended on WFMU or not too long after they started over.

The Neil Hagerty stuff is pretty boring but I generally enjoy the Kurt Vile talks even though I don't care about his music too much.

It was before the show ended and probably the biggest get. Or Steve Albini lol

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh god I forgot about Steve Albini. That call was pretty amazing just because it was weird.

Who was the guy on a few weeks ago? I forgot his name but he was a great guest and I hope he is on more. The one with the Yelp reviews.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
... do you men Hayes? The guy who was on this week too?

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

Does Andy Kindler count as a guest? Because Andy Kindler is great. Especially when he's interacting with Gary the Squirrel. Especially in this episode of The Fogelnest Files that I'm currently re-listening to for like the 3rd time.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

WrathOfBlade posted:

Does Andy Kindler count as a guest? Because Andy Kindler is great. Especially when he's interacting with Gary the Squirrel. Especially in this episode of The Fogelnest Files that I'm currently re-listening to for like the 3rd time.
The One on One with Gary the Squirrel that had Andy on is so great, I love their interaction so much

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Hayes is loving terrible and I'm starting to feel alienated at his continued presence on the show. He is EXACTLY the type of smug Harvard-background comedian that Tom otherwise rails against.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Are you just gonna keep posting this every six months?

You're right though, it's super out of character for Tom to be friends with a guy like Hayes. He normally prefers hanging out with Yale men.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I'll just repost this

Seltzer posted:

The other thing that has put me off a bit is the fact that the show is kind of becoming like every other podcast where there's a celebrity I don't care about plugging something every episode. Before he almost always brought on people he had a rapport with but now there's a lot of long drawn out conversations with disinterested/annoying guests

During the Paul Rudd interview Tom actually sounded uncomfortable and out of character, it was weird. I don't really have an opinion on hayes but I'm against the type/amount of guests in general. Have there been any good Wurster calls lately, I've really checked out on the show for awhile and the last good one I remember was the baseball drug racket call.

Lastly I don't know poo poo about music yet I find the Wurster calls hilarious, I don't think that's a prerequisite at all and I don't know how you can listen to the Best Show and not enjoy Wurster phone ins.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008

Transistor Rhythm posted:

Hayes is loving terrible and I'm starting to feel alienated at his continued presence on the show. He is EXACTLY the type of smug Harvard-background comedian that Tom otherwise rails against.

I understand where you're coming from, but Hayes is not that different from Paul F. Tompkins or John Hodgman back when they were essentially cohosts. Did you have issues with them as well?

Tom and Hayes are both primarily writers who portray exaggerated characters on their niche podcasts. They both write on the same show and are geographically separated from the bulk of the alt-comedy scene. Even if it doesn't seem like 'Best Show Tom' would like Hayes, there are obvious reasons why they would be friends outside of their respective podcasts. All I'm saying is at least they have rapport with one another and are not completely boring when they talk to one another on the show, which beats out pretty much every other post-revival Best Show guest.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
Likewise, Tom is loving hilarious every time he's on Hollywood Handbook. Hayes doesn't guest on the Best Show because he's a celebrity, he does it because he's a funny dude that Tom can joke around with.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Plus Tom's "I'm Joe Lunchpail" thing is just a total joke. He's certainly now low brow comedy. I havent listened to last weeks, but I really like Haye's because he doesn't just seem to be on there to promote something and he's fairly funny imo.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
Getting new people into the show is tough when even I feel like every Wurster call should be half as long

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Have you considered that Tom doesn't actually feel that strongly about his punching bags?

I'm not even a Hollywood Handbook fan and I find Hayes to be reliably quick and well-suited for the show.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Thom and the Heads posted:

Getting new people into the show is tough when even I feel like every Wurster call should be half as long

wait..... Whhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

Thom and the Heads posted:

Hey show him some respect you piece of fuuudge

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Seltzer posted:

I'll just repost this

During the Paul Rudd interview Tom actually sounded uncomfortable and out of character, it was weird. I don't really have an opinion on hayes but I'm against the type/amount of guests in general. Have there been any good Wurster calls lately, I've really checked out on the show for awhile and the last good one I remember was the baseball drug racket call.

Lastly I don't know poo poo about music yet I find the Wurster calls hilarious, I don't think that's a prerequisite at all and I don't know how you can listen to the Best Show and not enjoy Wurster phone ins.

when a guest is in the studio and they take calls, its always good

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I think the show has been great lately. The weirdo candy bar episode was great and the long wurster call as the country singer last week was incredible.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Since Wurster came back, his calls have been completely amazing. Does anyone else think that he was the insulting voice synthesizer for those three or four weeks when there was no JW call?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Since Wurster came back, his calls have been completely amazing. Does anyone else think that he was the insulting voice synthesizer for those three or four weeks when there was no JW call?

No.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Tom and Hayes have a good rapport and can riff on things with each other pretty well which makes for a good guest. What surprised me was how I actually enjoyed Tim Heidecker's call when he wasn't doing a schtick. I find most of his calls to be hacky but maybe that's his meta commentary on hacky comedians. He's just so crazy who knooooows!

I think the show has been more or less good lately. The Wurster calls have been great so that evens out the show topics that are often times not so great. The new crop of regular callers aren't bad either. I like them a lot more than the regular callers from before the ban.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I miss spike a lot

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Oh sure, so do I. There were some good regular callers from before but I just prefer the new ones. Every Avalanche Bob call is a gift that we should appreciate.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dr.Radical posted:

Tom and Hayes have a good rapport and can riff on things with each other pretty well which makes for a good guest. What surprised me was how I actually enjoyed Tim Heidecker's call when he wasn't doing a schtick. I find most of his calls to be hacky but maybe that's his meta commentary on hacky comedians. He's just so crazy who knooooows!

I think the show has been more or less good lately. The Wurster calls have been great so that evens out the show topics that are often times not so great. The new crop of regular callers aren't bad either. I like them a lot more than the regular callers from before the ban.

Did anyone really stop calling after the Ban other than Laurie and Julie? The only notable post ban regular I can think of is Fred, who is great.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

NESguerilla posted:

Did anyone really stop calling after the Ban other than Laurie and Julie? The only notable post ban regular I can think of is Fred, who is great.

Jason from Huntsville is also post-ban and reliably brings out a great tom.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Jason has been around since way before the ban.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

NESguerilla posted:

Jason has been around since way before the ban.

I recall him calling regularly during the ban though. (and I started listening regularly maybe... 6 months to a year before that, so I could definitely be wrong?)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

iirc he was (the only person) exempt because Tom likes him so much. I could be remembering wrong but I could have sworn he was around for years before the ban.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

What should we rename the thread to?

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
Tent pole radio

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

tumor looking batty posted:

What should we rename the thread to?

Your favorite podcast sucks.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

NESguerilla posted:

Some of them still called every once in awhile but not almost every week like they used to. I like Fred, Avalanche Bob, Tom has funny rapport with that Holden kid, Toronto's Sex Dwarf Alex is alright. I guess it also depends on what you consider regular.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

NESguerilla posted:

Geneva I guess if you count her as a regular? I think Laurie and Julie stopped for other reasons really, I think Laurie took flack on twitter or something and was hesitant to call in and Julie worked through a bunch of personal stuff over the past few years

As far as regulars go, I've always loved Jason and his thing about his son being on Tom's Ark was really good stuff

Seltzer posted:

I miss spike a lot
I miss Tom clowning on Spike but I don't really miss Spike. I miss Larry da Perv as a regular more than I miss Spike

NESguerilla posted:

Plus Tom's "I'm Joe Lunchpail" thing is just a total joke. He's certainly now low brow comedy. I havent listened to last weeks, but I really like Haye's because he doesn't just seem to be on there to promote something and he's fairly funny imo.

Binowru posted:

Likewise, Tom is loving hilarious every time he's on Hollywood Handbook. Hayes doesn't guest on the Best Show because he's a celebrity, he does it because he's a funny dude that Tom can joke around with.
Yeah these two comments are exactly on point. I don't think Hayes is the greatest guest or anything but if you listen to Tom's Hollywood Handbook eps, you can tell what a rapport they have when they're doing a bit, and when he's on the Best Show he's there for the right reasons.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Ah, how could I have forgotten about Larry Da Perv? He was a good old regular. The evolution of his relationship with Tom tickles me. At first Tom really hated the character and then just eventually accepted it and treats him as if he's a real person.

Edit: Also just hearing Tom say "Larry Da Perv" in a sort of "I really hate saying this but this is his name" way always makes me laugh.

Dr.Radical fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jul 1, 2016

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
I could swear Larry calls now and then. He wasn't all that frequent in the last few years of WFMU anyway.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I could swear Larry calls now and then. He wasn't all that frequent in the last few years of WFMU anyway.

Yeah, he's called 2 or 3 times into the new show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

Kinda weirded out by how the panel on this week's HHOP seemed to earnestly believe AP Mike was being haunted by undead hipsters