Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Waci posted:

I mean, pretty much anything is edible if you try hard enough.

Well... there was a caller on this Tuesday's Cooking Issues show, asking about foraging carrots. He was warned they could be poisonous and he replied with "oh, that's why I was calling, some of the girls in our group are feeling pretty ill". At first Dave Arnold didn't know if it was a joke or not, but eventually told the guy to just bring them to a hospital when it became clear it was no joke.

What a a strange train of thought though: pick up wild stuff, eat it, people get sick, should I A) go to a doctor, or B) wait for my favourite cooking show and call in the question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
That was surreal. Dude sounded like the total hippy burnout stereotype, too.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

bongwizzard posted:

Huh, I thought that stuff wasn't edible? Have I been tossing perfectly good crab fat all these years?

It's loving delicious actually

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Are we talking about the same crabs? I mean the yellow/green stuff in blue crabs that is commonly called "mustard". No one but the weirdest of old people eat it and when I have inadvertently tasted it, it was mildly bitter but without much flavor.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

The yellow guts from dungeness crabs tastes like scrambled eggs that fell in the ocean.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

bongwizzard posted:

Are we talking about the same crabs? I mean the yellow/green stuff in blue crabs that is commonly called "mustard". No one but the weirdest of old people eat it and when I have inadvertently tasted it, it was mildly bitter but without much flavor.
Yeah, that's it. Also called tomalley. It's actually not fat at all but rather organ meat. In addition to crabs, the tomalley of lobsters and crawdads is often used cooking (e.g. in creole and cajun cuisine, where a bisque just isn't a bisque without some crawdad fat).

The thing that's desirable about it (from a culinary perspective) isn't so much it's `raw flavour' or whatever but its richness.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Ah, that makes a ton more sense. Next time we steam up some crabs I am going to autopsy one before cooking to see what the stuff is like raw.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Hitting Frankie's on Saturday.

Bart, what's that other Thai place in the same shopping centre as lotus? I don't like most of their menu compared to other places but they have a totally bitching herbal salad which is my hangover cure of choice.

Comal. I haven't been, but a lot of people like them a lot.

There also the Cornish Pasty Company, which gets excellent reviews and will shortly be opening a new location somewhere in town. The problem with things anywhere close to Commercial Center is if I get up there I just go to Lotus.

snyprmag posted:

The yellow guts from dungeness crabs tastes like scrambled eggs that fell in the ocean.

Yep. Now imagine taking a big service spoon full of that, using as the base for fried rice, then topping it with jumbo lump crab meat. Dish seriously tastes more like crab than actual crabs do.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Pseudoscience food topic suggestions:

The grapefruit diet.
Whatever claims they make on infomercials like for the juice tiger
Was the food pyramid's carbo-loaded foundation based on pseudoscience?
Sensa weight-loss food-sprinkle
Dann Quinn's stevia pure h20 :)

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

For the pseudoscience goon, please tell your students apricot "kernels" won't cure cancer or do anything but give you cyanide poisoning if you eat enough of them.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
talk alot about the antioxidant healing powers of the acai berry; an ancient food

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
foods are mostly better when they're ancient

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

mindphlux posted:

foods are mostly better when they're ancient

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OepMwUZCQZc

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

i would definitely take on the concept of the juice cleanse and/or other cleanses in a pseudoscience course.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I sometimes eat nothing but juice for a day or three, but just because juice is awesome but high in calories so if I want to binge I gotta make cuts somewhere else. It does make my poops awful though.

No crab fat for me tonight, minor work emergency came up so I had to stay onsite. On the plus side the salespeople bought me dinner and like a 60oz frozen margarita with like six extra shots in it.

I suspect my poops tomorrow will be awful.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Superfoods. Doesn't matter which, just the whole concept.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS
Ionizing water.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
"Frankenfoods" are evil, then talk about how nectarines are peach mutations and bananas and Hass avocados are all cloned.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
Hass avocados were patented, too. They're the unnatural and evil superfood.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

therattle posted:

Superfoods. Doesn't matter which, just the whole concept.

This would actually be fun since the concept of "superfoods" ie, containing all essential vitamins and amino acids is relatively sound, but only makes sense to focus on for a diet if that was literally the only thing you ate at all.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Soylent!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

At golden Tiki right now. Fun dance scene, good bar, good pain killer. A- though cause I like the chill out vibe of Frankie's better

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Frankie's will always be first in my heart, but Golden Tiki is close to lots of good restaurants and does a fine job. The Painkiller is probably my favorite drink on their menu, with the Banana Batida a close second. I haven't found a bad drink on the list. The Golden Tiki (supposedly their big contribution to tiki drink culture) is tasty but kind of forgettable and that's about as bad as it gets.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Lucky jerks and your tiki drinks, still in a loving ballroom. If the stupid Frozen drink stall closes before I get to it I might actually cry.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Just had 4 of them painkillers. I can confirm that I feel no pain.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Made it to the drink stall, someone offered to cover my last bit of work and I jumped at it.

This is the best bad $22 frozen margarita I have ever had.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

the most regettable night in my life followed an unknown quantity of painkillers (the cocktail)

i'm not sure if that's an endorsement or an indictment, really.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Just had 4 of them painkillers. I can confirm that I feel no pain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sis0qQog9oI&hd=1

Also I'm back from my vacation. It was good for food. I had some lovely green curry at a Thai place.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
Maybe it's the salt water in my veins or the nitrogen bubbles in my brain, but I had a thought over the weekend.

Pineapple Cider + Heaping Tablespoon of Cayenne

Y/N?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
A tablespoon is a lot but sure go hog wild

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

There's a ton of pseudoscience bullshit involving silver and/or silver ions, some of which makes it into the kitchen.

Also sports drinks and "electrolytes," which could be an example of something that's technically true but also inaccurate as presented in marketing.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

CommonShore posted:

There's a ton of pseudoscience bullshit involving silver and/or silver ions, some of which makes it into the kitchen.

Also sports drinks and "electrolytes," which could be an example of something that's technically true but also inaccurate as presented in marketing.

Electrolytes are a super true and real thing. I work outside in summer, I can easily drink four liters of water in a 8 hour period and not have to pee at all, due to all the sweat. All that water and sweating flushes out electrolytes, and your body cant replace them quick enough, and you start feeling lovely. A good way to help restore electrolyte levels is a salty snack, or a cold gatoraide. And I know i'm much more partial to an ice cold Glacier Cherry then pretzels when I'm out in the heat. Just don't drink only gatoraide, that's a lot of sugar. It's a snack to help you keep going, not sustenance.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Hyponatremia (excessive salt loss) is definitely a thing for athletes and people who spend a lot of time working outside, and can be pretty serious if not addressed. Of course most people loading up their shopping carts with Gatorade at the supermarket are not athletes, by and large.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Suspect Bucket posted:

Electrolytes are a super true and real thing. I work outside in summer, I can easily drink four liters of water in a 8 hour period and not have to pee at all, due to all the sweat. All that water and sweating flushes out electrolytes, and your body cant replace them quick enough, and you start feeling lovely. A good way to help restore electrolyte levels is a salty snack, or a cold gatoraide. And I know i'm much more partial to an ice cold Glacier Cherry then pretzels when I'm out in the heat. Just don't drink only gatoraide, that's a lot of sugar. It's a snack to help you keep going, not sustenance.

exquisite tea posted:

Hyponatremia (excessive salt loss) is definitely a thing for athletes and people who spend a lot of time working outside, and can be pretty serious if not addressed. Of course most people loading up their shopping carts with Gatorade at the supermarket are not athletes, by and large.

And that's how something can be technically true yet inaccurate. Gatorade is not really an effective tool of achieving its stated purpose, becuase when you really need the salt or water you probably shouldn't have the sugar. For all intents and purposes "energy boost with electrolytes" is a scientifish version of "sugar water with some salt in it."

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

CommonShore posted:

And that's how something can be technically true yet inaccurate. Gatorade is not really an effective tool of achieving its stated purpose, becuase when you really need the salt or water you probably shouldn't have the sugar. For all intents and purposes "energy boost with electrolytes" is a scientifish version of "sugar water with some salt in it."

I disagree. I think it's good for keeping your blood sugar up while in the middle of sustained exercise where you will have to worry about electrolyte loss. It's not going to be a meal replacement, but it's going to prevent you from "bonking" or bottoming out your blood sugar in the middle of sustained calorie burning.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

When I played soccer and football in the Southern California desert in high school, they used to give us salt pills for precisely this reason. Sweating is a no bullshit thing when it comes to the minerals your body needs.

In other news, my CEO (who I like) just called me into my boss' (who I like) office and proceeded to tell me to solve a personnel/budget problem because my boss hadn't, in front of my boss. Makes me feel totally and completely lovely, and my boss feels totally lovely about it too. What a bummer of a day.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Mr. Wiggles posted:

When I played soccer and football in the Southern California desert in high school, they used to give us salt pills for precisely this reason. Sweating is a no bullshit thing when it comes to the minerals your body needs.

In other news, my CEO (who I like) just called me into my boss' (who I like) office and proceeded to tell me to solve a personnel/budget problem because my boss hadn't, in front of my boss. Makes me feel totally and completely lovely, and my boss feels totally lovely about it too. What a bummer of a day.

That sucks, Wiggles. At least you have a job...on June 24th I was called into the VP of HR's office and told that basically, while the company was making money, it wasn't making ENOUGH money to keep the shareholders happy and that I am now out of a job thanks to headcount reduction. Eight years, down the drain.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

The grapefruit diet.

I know grapefruit is contraindicated for a lot of medications, as it retards absorption through various parts of the digestive tract... Is the grapefruit diet based on that?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

The Midniter posted:

That sucks, Wiggles. At least you have a job...on June 24th I was called into the VP of HR's office and told that basically, while the company was making money, it wasn't making ENOUGH money to keep the shareholders happy and that I am now out of a job thanks to headcount reduction. Eight years, down the drain.

Fffffuuuuuuuuuck........

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

The Midniter posted:

Their loss, not yours. Keep your chin up.