Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Chuu posted:

Can anyone confirm the current Gigabyte 1070/1080 Windforce designs with 3 fans will run at 0 rpm if the card is cool enough? This was a hugely advertised feature on previous gens, but I noticed it's suspiciously absent on their marketing page.

"under 60 Degrees C (idle) the fans do not spin and as such the card is in-audible. 33 DBa is the lowest we can measure (which is incredibly silent)."

I think every decent AIB has a 0rpm mode now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Chuu posted:

Can anyone confirm the current Gigabyte 1070/1080 Windforce designs with 3 fans will run at 0 rpm if the card is cool enough? This was a hugely advertised feature on previous gens, but I noticed it's suspiciously absent on their marketing page.

Yes. It even lights up and says FAN STOP in leds... Lol

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

SweetBro posted:

Can someone give me the tl;dr of where it fits in the current generation of high-end GPUs and it's performance in VR?

It's like good sex: hot, loud, available at a reasonable price.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
Has anyone actually managed to find a non-FE 1070 for MSRP yet? I'm in Canada and they are still in the $600+ range here :(

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

ETPC posted:

Has anyone actually managed to find a non-FE 1070 for MSRP yet? I'm in Canada and they are still in the $600+ range here :(

The closest we've got to so far in the US is 399.99 for a 2 fan Gigabyte card. The next cheapest card I've seen is a 409.99 MSI Aero using its own cheaper blower cooler and a 419.99 EVGA ACX 3.0, which I don't think I've actually ever seen in stock in favor of the more expensive EVGA options.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.

Beautiful Ninja posted:

The closest we've got to so far in the US is 399.99 for a 2 fan Gigabyte card. The next cheapest card I've seen is a 409.99 MSI Aero using its own cheaper blower cooler and a 419.99 EVGA ACX 3.0, which I don't think I've actually ever seen in stock in favor of the more expensive EVGA options.

Christ. I hope the new AMD cards fly off the shelves and AMD is able to keep them stocked just to spite Nvidia. What a bad launch. Does anyone know if they will calm down soon in terms of stock and price?

ETPC fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jul 1, 2016

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:
https://www.computerbase.de/2016-06/radeon-rx-480-test/12/#abschnitt_viel_potenzial_fuer_undervoltage_bei_der_rx_480

German site, tldr:

quote:

As for the computerbase.de article, in general the text says that they were able to run the card stable without crashes at 1.075 volts. The lower voltage meant that the card clocked higher, because the power target wasn't hit at fast. That's why undervolting increased the FPS. When running the undervolted card without increasing the power target, the power consumption stayed the same, because the card clocked higher (to 1260-ish MHz I guess). They also tested the undervolted card with maximum power target, which resulted in slightly lower power consumption, temps and noise compared to a normal card with max powertarget. Here the power consumption was 33 watts lower on the undervolted card.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

ETPC posted:

Christ. I hope the new AMD cards fly off the shelves and AMD is able to keep them stocked just to spite Nvidia. What a bad launch. Does anyone know if they will calm down soon in terms of stock and price?

No, and they plan to "release" another card lol

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
FWIW newegg seems out of most of them already.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Craptacular! posted:

The way NVidia's $200 price point has been in the lurch for so long is frustrating. I'm on the verge of buying used simply because the reshuffle everyone expected with the 1070/1080 didn't happen; and now it looks like the competition from the other side isn't so strong that it will budge them either.

:lol:, you better pray hard then. Nvidia achieved 80% marketshare mainly by selling $200 960s (plain awful perf/price) and $330 970s (not so bad perf/price but still not as good as AMD) in the face of firesale AMD 290/390s.

Unless AMD plans to replicate their "strategy" again by selling Vega at Polaris prices, and that's not going happen anytime soon.

Not even Apple can achieve that kind of lopsided dominance of shipping AND earning much more than their competitor in their respective markets.

LeninVS
Nov 8, 2011

Everytime nowinstock.com/ca tells me a 1080 is in stock. By the time I get to the website, its out of stock.
I thought I read on these forums a bit ago about a different chrome addon that would alert you if a website changed. But I forget the details or what this addon was called.
I think it started with the letter D.

Thanks if anyone knows what I am talking about and can tell me the name.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Stock voltage is 1.15 just to confirm? Why run at such high voltage unless you were setting a minimum specification of voltage to maximize yield. Really anxious on ASGs trip report since they were going to screw around with voltage on their RX480. If there are signs some RX480s do really well at close to 1v then that leaves a lot of promise for any future RX485, which they'd hopefully push hard while using the new lower achievable voltages to increase power savings on the RX480. 33W for .075v less is really promising, drop another ~.075v and even with any diminishing returns Polaris would be pretty close to Pascals efficiency curve. Just what these guys achieved is pretty reassuring, but I really need to turn a new leaf on breathing in my own farts to get hopeful.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Palladium posted:

:lol:, you better pray hard then. Nvidia achieved 80% marketshare mainly by selling $200 960s (plain awful perf/price) and $330 970s (not so bad perf/price but still not as good as AMD) in the face of firesale AMD 290/390s.
To be fair, those were 290s being dumped by Bitcoin miners who ran them turned up to 11.

I don't recall 390 pricing though.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

LeninVS posted:

Everytime nowinstock.com/ca tells me a 1080 is in stock. By the time I get to the website, its out of stock.
I thought I read on these forums a bit ago about a different chrome addon that would alert you if a website changed. But I forget the details or what this addon was called.
I think it started with the letter D.

Thanks if anyone knows what I am talking about and can tell me the name.

Distill or visualping

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

The FAQ for this and the hardware mega thread were kind of confusing so I hope this is the thread to post this question.

Hi! My wallet is ready for my first GPU upgrade but I am unsure if the GPU upgrades are ready for me. I am not savy with this kind of stuff so I need some help in knowing if my priories are straight. Things that concern me are stuff like AMD announcing a new card that costs like 200 dollars or if updating my GPU will outbalance my processor.

Anyway I have been thinking about getting one of the NVidia GEOFORCE cards, I am unsure what model though. The main goals for the new videocard would be running Final Fantasy 14 Heavensward, I can run it well in Direct X9 but the newer content is more designed for computers that can run Direct X11 which isn't quite stable on my rig. I also want to be able to play Witcher 3, I think that's a fair goal.

Here are what I think are the relevant system specs if anyone does wants to recommend anything. I custom ordered parts with the help of a guy at the computer shop so if anything seems weird, it's that but I think this is a normal setup.

System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model H81M-S2H
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU To be filled by O.E.M.
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4460 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 3201 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. F1, 8/19/2014
SMBIOS Version 2.7
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode Legacy
BaseBoard Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
BaseBoard Model Not Available
BaseBoard Name Base Board

Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.10586.420"
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 7.89 GB
Available Physical Memory 5.22 GB
Total Virtual Memory 15.9 GB
Available Virtual Memory 12.2 GB
Page File Space 8.00 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware Yes
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

I am unsure if the motherboard model shows up in this data, I forsee this being a problem but I have lost the documentation on what exactly it was.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

ETPC posted:

I ordered a ZOTAC AMP when they were in stock on Monday. $574 is the best I've seen in Canada for the 1070.
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500400

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Palladium posted:

Unless AMD plans to replicate their "strategy" again by selling Vega at Polaris prices, and that's not going happen anytime soon.

Not even Apple can achieve that kind of lopsided dominance of shipping AND earning much more than their competitor in their respective markets.

No they achieved 80% market share solely on the 970 within two months. The 960 didn't exist, and the 290 didn't compete in price to performance (new) and neither did the 390.

The 290 at the time was bumping heads with the 780ti. The 970 released for $330 and the market shifted hard. AMD never responded to this - to this day - with a new card and that's why it never shifted back.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

No they achieved 80% market share solely on the 970 within two months. The 960 didn't exist, and the 290 didn't compete in price to performance (new) and neither did the 390.

The 290 at the time was bumping heads with the 780ti. The 970 released for $330 and the market shifted hard. AMD never responded to this - to this day - with a new card and that's why it never shifted back.

Pretty sure it did shift back to some degree when they released the 390, which while not actually a new card, had one crucial feature essential to customers: It didn't throttle like it was actually on fire in benchmarks.

Unfortunately for people who like knowing what's up, that meant that the single best deal in video cards in recent memory dried up.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Klyith posted:

$200 has been the place that AMD has actually delivered good value for the last 3 years. If you and everyone else refuse to buy AMD cards even when they're the better choice in a price segment, then drat right nvidia is gonna force you to pay $300 for that choice.

I'm a hackintosh, so Nvidia is a must for me simply as a matter of software compatibility. I once used Radeon cards until 2010, though, when I began goofing with Ubuntu etc.

If you're a Windows-only person AMD is somewhere between okay and great depending on the price point and how much energy/heat management matters to you.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

xthetenth posted:

Pretty sure it did shift back to some degree when they released the 390, which while not actually a new card, had one crucial feature essential to customers: It didn't throttle like it was actually on fire in benchmarks.

Unfortunately for people who like knowing what's up, that meant that the single best deal in video cards in recent memory dried up.

Yes true, was condensing for the sake of the initial market shift

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Arg, I may be in a bind. Ordered the XFX OC version of the 480 on launch day from Newegg while I was at work. It shipped; I got home; wait, what's this about the PCI-E specifications?

And I'm seeing specific reports that that particular model is drawing huge amounts through the PCI-E slot (see, e.g., https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/4qk17o/my_xfx_480_power_draw/ )

Now I'm wondering if I should return it or even refuse delivery when it finally gets here -- except Newegg's return policy for this particular card is "replacement only." (And, for that matter, it's sold out now).

Any thoughts or advice on what to do / how to handle?

My motherboard is a ASRock Z170 Extreme3, though the idea of having to worry about how much power the motherboard can carry without incinerating itself gives me fits.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
If you really want to get rid of it I imagine it wouldn't be a problem since they're all sold out now too. It looks like they're selling for 300 on eBay. I don't think the power thing is really something to worry about, people generally like to flip their lid at any sort of "problem" with a (especially new) gpu.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

i put 120w load power on a B85M-G from a buspower only 750ti for a year and it had no signs of dying before i dropped the cpu on the pins when i was trying to test a xeon :thumbsup:

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Bleh Maestro posted:

If you really want to get rid of it I imagine it wouldn't be a problem since they're all sold out now too. It looks like they're selling for 300 on eBay. I don't think the power thing is really something to worry about, people generally like to flip their lid at any sort of "problem" with a (especially new) gpu.

If it was up to me, I'll get rid of it ASAP when there is still a chance of recouping the cost. I would either pony up to a $400 1070 AIB or wait-and-see at the 1060 and custom 480s with possibly better cooling, power management and the 8-pin connector.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
I am really hoping EVGA puts out some 1070s tomorrow. Any tweets or heads up that I should be aware of? I already have nowinstock up and ready for it. If the gigabyte was not on backorder rn I would probably get that instead but I just really like the EVGA design the most. :slick:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

ETPC posted:

I have not been able to find any 1070, FE or not, for significantly under €500 in Belgium.

Those Americans don't know how good they have it in their libertarian paradise.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Arg, I may be in a bind. Ordered the XFX OC version of the 480 on launch day from Newegg while I was at work. It shipped; I got home; wait, what's this about the PCI-E specifications?

And I'm seeing specific reports that that particular model is drawing huge amounts through the PCI-E slot (see, e.g., https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/4qk17o/my_xfx_480_power_draw/ )

Now I'm wondering if I should return it or even refuse delivery when it finally gets here -- except Newegg's return policy for this particular card is "replacement only." (And, for that matter, it's sold out now).

Any thoughts or advice on what to do / how to handle?

My motherboard is a ASRock Z170 Extreme3, though the idea of having to worry about how much power the motherboard can carry without incinerating itself gives me fits.

I think it would be wise to return it and wait a short while longer. PCPer recently put out an article confirming the issue and stating they find it concerning, so it's gone beyond just conjecture. In addition, very soon we will see aftermarket 480s and potentially a GTX1060 that may well see a better buy emerging in the same price range.

Unless you absolutely need to play games super high quality right now, of course. I honestly wouldn't blame you. If the PCIE problem ends up being enough of an issue to worry about, AMD will end up having to fix it for everyone affected one way or another.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

Phlegmish posted:

I have not been able to find any 1070, FE or not, for significantly under €500 in Belgium.

Use geizhals.eu, set it to in stock and monitor the stores in the surrounding countries (really: Germany). You may be able to find an AIB that that's a tad over 500 EUR when shipping is included. Yes, that's taking a risk the card won't break, but the odds of finding something in stock are 100 times higher.

(Stocks also seem to be improving rather rapidly for 1070 cards)

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Anyway I have been thinking about getting one of the NVidia GEOFORCE cards, I am unsure what model though.

Nice illustration what kind of branding problems AMD faces: this person knows nothing about GPUs, but he wants an NVIDIA card anyway.

quote:

Here are what I think are the relevant system specs if anyone does wants to recommend anything. I custom ordered parts with the help of a guy at the computer shop...I am unsure if the motherboard model shows up in this data, I forsee this being a problem but I have lost the documentation on what exactly it was.

Your CPU and MB seem fine. The MB is limited to PCI Express 2.0, but this isn't currently a bottleneck so it'll do.

There are two more things we'd ideally know:

a) What is the PSU (power supply)? The relevant thing to know is how many Watts it can supply and which power connectors (1x6 pin, 1x8 pin, 8+8pin, ...) for the PCIe slot it has.

b) What budget do you have? I get the impression you're not aiming for the highest end, which I guess means around 200-300 USD? The cards in this area were just launched, and more are launching next week, so regardless the advice will likely to be to hold off buying for one more week.

c) Do you currently have a GPU, or are you using the built-in graphics?

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Got my inno3d GTX 1080 x3 yesterday to replace my Gigabyte 970 g1.

Identical in size so fits my air 240 case fine.

Very nice card, stock boosts up to 2050, fans are less noisy than 970, and has ultra low rpm below 60c, and passive cooling around 40c in desktop mode.
downclocks to 1970ish on spikes to 79c in temp. no coil whine.

The screws on the backplate are not flush though, so on a motherboard with cramped space towards the ram slots it might interfere with one of the retaining brackets.

It's a 2 1/2 slot size cooler also, so no cards in the #2 full size pcie slot.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

The RX480 has started to claim its first victims.

roquen22 posted:

I got artifacting and then everything went black and the sound cut out. I reboot my PC several times, but nothing would come up. After looking up the error code on the motherboard, I found that it was "No VGA present" so at first I thought the card was dead and I put back in my 750 ti, but it too would not work with the same error code.

trix4rix posted:

I have this exact same issue, totally killed my 990FX from MSI. The issue is that it destroyed all 3 of my x16 slots, and I have nothing to test my other slots. I think the cpu still works, but in all honesty, without any video out I have no idea.

Smarf
Mar 21, 2004

Arsehole!!!!

Welp, looks like I'll hold off for a while.

Ms. Chanandler Bong
Dec 20, 2008

What a loving disaster. And the 1060 is about to launch.

objects in mirror
Apr 9, 2016

by Shine
Haha, glad I took craiglist guy's offer and bought a used 970 for $160.

I hope the 1060 isn't that much better than the 970. :ohdear:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
If you only paid $160 it hardly matters

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

welp, I was going to order one today but I'm absolutely not going to now.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Noticed MSI Armor GTX 1080 in stock at my nearest computer store. Couldn't wait, so I excused myself from work to buy one. That turned out to be a pretty good decision, they were gone by the evening.

So, going from 50 fps at 1080p in GTA5 to solid 100+ fps at 1440p is pretty nice, but I'm still aching for 144 fps (~~firstworldproblems~~). What would be the least retarded software tool to try and overclock the thing?

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
Oh man I was JUST ABOUT to buy a R9 480, I had no idea it screwed up some people's motherboards. drat.

Oh well, maybe AMD will fix it eventually...or not.

Does this only affect Intel motherboards or APU ones too?

Junior Jr. fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jul 1, 2016

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
This is a horrible time for my buddy's 7950 to start artifacting in the "I am about to cack out" way.

He's had it with AMD -- tons of problems on this card, and on previous AMD cards -- so I'm thinking I'll just tell him to grab a firesale 970. Seem like a good idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Junior Jr. posted:

Oh man I was JUST ABOUT to buy a R9 480, I had no idea it screwed up some people's motherboards. drat.

Oh well, maybe AMD will fix it eventually...or not.

Does this only affect Intel motherboards or APU ones too?

It seems to be cheaper motherboards that are worse affected:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhjC_8ai7QA

Either way, if there's any risk at all I wouldn't chance it. I'm going to wait for aftermarket cards, and see what Nvidia does with the 1060.