Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
I think it's interesting that Jesse doesn't use the Power on Tulip. At first I thought it's to show that he's aware of how it's basically like raping someone, which fits with Donnie's scene but that would mean he's OK with coercing everyone else except her, which doesn't really jive.

Probably just a safeguard so they don't have to think about how to gently caress Tulip over terribly when the Power backfires.

One thing I don't understand is how Odin is serving God by killing the environmentalists. Could be it's drinking alcohol after 6 PM (I'm no Bible buff so I dunno), but then the fourth dude getting killed is weird, he didn't drink. Did he swear or something? If Odin is able to circumvent Jesse's order on purpose by interpreting the Word in some way that would be kinda lame but also cool commentary on the nature of holy scriptures (antiquated, open to interpretation etc.). I wonder if Odin is gonna become some sort of Christian crusader.

The scene with Arseface and his dad was great. I felt bad for the family. Much better done than in the comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I think Odin's killing spree is something that will get elaborated on next episode, but so far my take on it is that he interprets "serve God" the way he's inclined to do anyway. Before Jesse's interference, he had no real drive and, in retrospect, acted more passive-aggressively and petulant than truly dangerously. He doesn't actually experience a change of character, he was a sociopath before and now he's a sociopath with religious zeal. Fits nicely with the show's theme of free will and acting according to your true nature.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
Ol' Odin is the Meat Man and "To Serve God" is a cookbook.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Hollismason posted:

I'm pretty sure the mother of the girl told Jesse that she was kicked in the head by a horse, but how Arseface was involved I am unclear of.

Could be that the girl was working with/riding a horse, Arseface attempted suicide, and the noise of the gunshot startled the horse and it bucked her. That or, 'horseback riding accident' may just be more 'palatable' of a story as to what caused Tracy to go into a coma. Possibly she had a suicide attempt herself, or even a pact with Eugene, and since suicide is a sin, the family made up a cover story to make it sound less 'shameful'. Heck, I had a childhood friend that ended up braindead and eventually taken off life support due to a 'car accident'. Truth came out at the funeral when the Rabbi launched into a tirade about how suicide was wrong etc. etc. Turned out he had attempted suicide by hanging, and when his mother found him, he'd been without oxygen too long. It was awful; the mother absolutely broke down during the service then and everyone there was just like :stare: for the rest of it. (Dick move by the Rabbi if you ask me)

E: Also, am I misremembering, or did Tracy have an amputated leg as well? I think I remember a shot while Jesse was speaking to her mother, they showed a shot of a healed leg stump?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

When Jesse talks to Tracy's mom she says "words won't help her get on a horse again" but is it actually ever stated that she had a riding accident (cover story or not)? I'm not about to rewatch the entire season so far for it but that's the only reference to horses I've found so far. Anyway people in town seem to be pretty much aware of what actually happened.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Zwille posted:

I think it's interesting that Jesse doesn't use the Power on Tulip. At first I thought it's to show that he's aware of how it's basically like raping someone, which fits with Donnie's scene but that would mean he's OK with coercing everyone else except her, which doesn't really jive.

He hasn't really had much need to, she was busy banging Cas while he was off using the word. Back when she was nagging him to do stuff he didn't really understand the word yet.

I guess there was that time she stopped by the diner, he could have been like "STOP TALKING" or something, but it wasn't really all that necessary.

He'll probably see The Word backfire like crazy soon enough and then he'll realize he shouldn't use it on her.

LadyPictureShow posted:

Could be that the girl was working with/riding a horse, Arseface attempted suicide, and the noise of the gunshot startled the horse and it bucked her.

Yeah that's my current guess.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

I like the interpretation that the Word doesn't change the affected person's basic character. Neat. Looking forward to the imminent clusterfuck(s).

The scene at the restaurant would've been the key scene to use the Word on Tulip but that's probably just my opinion. I hope they elaborate on the effects of the Word and how to use it because that would own.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
I like how they're setting up the Saint's utter hatred for preachers. Was that in the original comic?

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

Kulkasha posted:

I like how they're setting up the Saint's utter hatred for preachers. Was that in the original comic?

It was, but the Preacher was a part of a larger gang. I like how they've streamlined it here to just the Preacher. It's a small change in a very faithful adaptation, but I think it really works for the TV show.

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?

My Lovely Horse posted:

When Jesse talks to Tracy's mom she says "words won't help her get on a horse again" but is it actually ever stated that she had a riding accident (cover story or not)? I'm not about to rewatch the entire season so far for it but that's the only reference to horses I've found so far. Anyway people in town seem to be pretty much aware of what actually happened.

Yeah no one said anything about Tracy getting hosed up by a horse it was just her mom being a bitch. When she took that wig off that head wound looked more like gun shot than horse kick.

My theory is Eugene and Tracy had either a lovers suicide pact and well it got screwed up or Eugene was a stalker type who accidentally shot her and tried to end his own life since those guys at church called Eugene a murderer.

And here is something I didnt see anyone say in the thread about Odin. Jesse only told him to serve god... what if that crazy gently caress thinks himself a god (he pretty much owns the town) and now he is going to put his rule down on everyone!

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Odin told Jessie to his face that he doesn't believe in God when he got invited to church, unless I'm misremembering. The question is then if he's not serving Christian God (because to him He doesn't exist), which god is he? Or is it is it just that 'serve god' is so much up to personal interpretation to the point that the command itself is meaningless?

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jul 1, 2016

platero
Sep 11, 2001

spooky, but polite, a-hole

Pillbug
I was thinking that the horse story is a cover-up, and that Arseface was drunk driving with her in the car, wrecked it, hosed her all up, then tried to commit suicide due to guilt,

Mujaji
Oct 2, 2004
"The Transformers soundtrack is quite probably the greatest single album in the entire history of recorded music"

NmareBfly posted:

Odin told Jessie to his face that he doesn't believe in God when he got invited to church, unless I'm misremembering. The question is then if he's not serving Christian God (because to him He doesn't exist), which god is he? Or is it is it just that 'serve god' is so much up to personal interpretation to the point that the command itself is meaningless?

I haven't read the comics but his name is Odin which is the main Norse god, could be a loophole.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

NmareBfly posted:

I think it's more the latter. Most of Jesse's commands so far (or at least the ones he's been handing out since Odin came to church) have just been trite "Believe in yourself" cliches that can mean drat near anything depending on your frame of reference. He might as well be reading from the astrology page at this point.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
Pretty sure the God Odin is serving is made of meat. And hates Green acres.

Robot Pride
Aug 2, 2010

by exmarx

Guy Mann posted:

Satanism is real in the sense that Pastafarians are real, it's mostly a bunch of edgelords play-acting at religion for satire/irony purposes.

LeVeyan Satanism is real and is the legit/serious satanism. The Temple Of Satan is the ironic/troll version of satanism that makes statues of Baphomet to troll christians.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LaVeyan_Satanism

Still reading through this thread but had to point that out. I'm loving this show and as a data point/point of reference I loving hate that depressing, slow-moving cry and sad marathon called The Walking Dead.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Robot Pride posted:

LeVeyan Satanism is real and is the legit/serious satanism.
LeVeyan Satanism is little more Objectivism in a Halloween mask, and its practitioners are almost universally ridiculous people.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

platero posted:

I was thinking that the horse story is a cover-up, and that Arseface was drunk driving with her in the car, wrecked it, hosed her all up, then tried to commit suicide due to guilt,

I think all these guesses on the Tracy and Arseface connection are viable, but I'm interested to see if any of us are right.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Putting my money on failed suicide pact. I think everybody's reading a little too much into it :shrug:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Did Jesse tell Odin to "serve god" or did he tell him to "serve the lord"? I can't remember.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Gyges posted:

Did Jesse tell Odin to "serve god" or did he tell him to "serve the lord"? I can't remember.

"serve god", and I love the cookbook theory.

Boo This Man
Mar 25, 2008

Johnny Truant posted:

Putting my money on failed suicide pact. I think everybody's reading a little too much into it :shrug:

That is what I kind of figured. But how do two people botch a suicide attempt?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Boo This Man posted:

That is what I kind of figured. But how do two people botch a suicide attempt?

He shittily brains her, then attempts to brain himself, also shittily.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

shame on an IGA posted:

"serve god", and I love the cookbook theory.
Along the lines of the cookbook theory, what if he thinks he's serving souls to God by killing decent people?

e: or is that what people have meant for the past few pages and i'm just slow

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

That's a new one, I think. Sounds good too!

PoultryHammock
Oct 23, 2011
I was kinda thinking it would be something super country/hickish/simple, like God gave man dominion over nature, and these yahoos want to come along and subvert His will by working along side it, or with it. Instead of just straight up using and abusing like he is.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

PoultryHammock posted:

I was kinda thinking it would be something super country/hickish/simple, like God gave man dominion over nature, and these yahoos want to come along and subvert His will by working along side it, or with it. Instead of just straight up using and abusing like he is.

Working alongside it is also the practical, logical thing to do to continue to have more of a resource to abuse. Not that I consider Odin any kind of rational thinking man, so this idea is just as likely as any other.

I like the "is serving God souls" idea, since he's a meat guy and everything, and it's a more direct gently caress up in Jesse's use of the Word. In the comics, there isn't much of Jesse trying to use the Word for good purposes and it backfiring. It's interesting(if kind of depressing) how much their examining him trying to use his new power to make a positive impact, and how it's not that easy.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Johnny Truant posted:

He shittily brains her, then attempts to brain himself, also shittily.

I figured it was "You shoot me, I shoot you" kind of thing. Technically neither of them would be committing suicide then, which is one of the sins that keeps you out of heaven. They're just dumb and hosed it up.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Watching some Top Gear repeats

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TT0Fe7Ns65k

Heh, I know what youuuuuu read.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
God this opening is just perfect :allears:

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Well that was just about the best thing that's ever happened on television.

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE

Supreme Allah posted:

Well that was just about the best thing that's ever happened on television.

So very true.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jesse resting on the pile of all their corpses was hilarious.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
So um...Is that it for old Arseface? Can he come back?

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE
So not cool.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Well, that was a loving episode

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Wow, that was a loving episode. Lots happened. Way more exciting than the last few.

The best part was the beginning, the absurd black humor combination of having the angels dying in realistic and brutal fashion and then comically respawn over and over, to the point where the room filled with corpses of the same people, was just downright goddamned amazing. Cass' showing up and joining just made it twice as funny and kept the joke going.

Tulip continues to be the worst. Goddamn. She's angry at Jesse even though he didn't do anything, and she slept with Cass so she has no right.

The ending was also really good, loving shocker there with Arseface. :smith: Diverting pretty drat heavily from the comics!

nopants
May 29, 2004
The absurdity of Cass showing up and joining in had me rolling. If they keep this up, Preacher will be known for its openings like Breaking Bad was for montages.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Well that is certainly a deviation from the comic. Huh. Was a good episode though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoultryHammock
Oct 23, 2011

WickedHate posted:

Working alongside it is also the practical, logical thing to do to continue to have more of a resource to abuse. Not that I consider Odin any kind of rational thinking man, so this idea is just as likely as any other.

I like the "is serving God souls" idea, since he's a meat guy and everything, and it's a more direct gently caress up in Jesse's use of the Word. In the comics, there isn't much of Jesse trying to use the Word for good purposes and it backfiring. It's interesting(if kind of depressing) how much their examining him trying to use his new power to make a positive impact, and how it's not that easy.

You are not really getting the shortsightedness of these people. My Dad grew up on a dairy...then after bullshit regulation in the 70s (cheaper to switch live stock then the back end)...pig farm. They would take turned diesel/spent transmission fluid/various engine oils and spray it around the perimeter of the property as a super effective weed killer. It would grey out anything smaller than a well established tree. There is a lot of "waste" sort of territory in the boondocks/South/Midwest, no one minds or cares if its banged up anymore. There's really no one to complain about it. And the whole region in the show looks horrible, I can't imagine the place is anything other than a massive slaughter house for other areas to send their stock.

• Locked thread