Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Here's some good bad art that just popped up.

Green Arrow #2 variant by Neil Adams

It looks like the art for a crappy Magic card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Archer's Bane 2B

Deal one damage and negate First Strike on one attacker

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Is the ghost head actually in the scene with him, hovering like an off-model Frylock?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Man, is there anything more depressing than a revered creator from the Classic Times trying to come back and do comics in the present day? Has that ever turned out well?

Even JRJR who never left, has worked pretty continuously since the 80s and he's getting pretty painful to look at these days.

freethought
Feb 24, 2011

He looks like he really needs to go.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Travis343 posted:

Man, is there anything more depressing than a revered creator from the Classic Times trying to come back and do comics in the present day? Has that ever turned out well?

Even JRJR who never left, has worked pretty continuously since the 80s and he's getting pretty painful to look at these days.

For Neil and JRJr, it's definitely working out.
Scott Snyder's upcoming Batman series is basically a showcase for neato artists, and kicks off with Romita.
Adams is given these ridiculous miniseries to play around in and be bonkers, and both have had variant months dedicated to them.

Marv Wolfman, George Perez and Rob Liefeld had a much harder time as the old school hires back at the beginning of the N52.

e: That's to say nothing of how the stuff looks. Tastes vary, but I love seeing old man Adams' kooky poo poo out there.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jun 8, 2016

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I think Howard Chaykin might have been the best artist of the '80s, but sadly, he's older and his stuff isn't as good as it used to be. And even if Frank Miller hadn't gone crazy, his art has taken a major turn for the worse.

I think the old-school creator who is still the most "with it," who has changed with the times, stayed relevant and good, works steadily, and never burned any bridges, is Keith Giffen.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Chaykin is aware his style has changed considerably in the last 20 years, he just doesn't seem to care.

And the new artist on GA is excellent.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Isn't Gerry Conway writing a not terrible Carnage right now?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

He's got a Firestorm story coming out now and it's very dull.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I think Howard Chaykin might have been the best artist of the '80s, but sadly, he's older and his stuff isn't as good as it used to be. And even if Frank Miller hadn't gone crazy, his art has taken a major turn for the worse.

I think the old-school creator who is still the most "with it," who has changed with the times, stayed relevant and good, works steadily, and never burned any bridges, is Keith Giffen.

Carlos Ezquerra.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Travis343 posted:

Joe Kubert had been banging out great work till the end.
Moebius went full digital late in life and remained the greatest (last Arzach volume).
Richard Corben is 75 and still great, I even prefer his work with Dave Stewart to the airbrush days of DEN.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Travis343 posted:

Practically everyone on the MAD staff is in their 80's (Argones, Jaffee, etc) and still kick rear end.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Ferrule posted:

Practically everyone on the MAD staff is in their 80's (Argones, Jaffee, etc) and still kick rear end.

Holy poo poo, Al Jaffee is still alive. What a world we live in

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Alan Davis still turns out good stuff I think

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Yup.

Even Mort Drucker still churns out great stuff on occasion.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Sadly, George Woodbridge is dead since 2004, all we have left from him today is Chris Wallace

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
Sienkiewicz turns out good stuff whenever he materializes out of whatever shadow realm he lives in now.

Enhydra lutris
Apr 27, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Boleslav Sienkiewicz lives in Los Angeles; California; the United States of America.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Enhydra lutris posted:

Boleslav Sienkiewicz lives in Los Angeles; California; the United States of America.

Whoops, I had always assumed he was some kind of foreigner.

Sienkiewicz was born May 3, 1958, in Blakely, Pennsylvania.[1] When he was five years old, he moved with his family to Hainesville, New Jersey, where he attended elementary and secondary school.[4]

:blush:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Enhydra lutris posted:

Hi otterman. BSS is happy to see you.

Enhydra lutris
Apr 27, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

prefect posted:

Whoops, I had always assumed he was some kind of foreigner.
He is Polish American.

Travis343 posted:

Thank You; I enjoy the Illustrative Works of Sienkiewicz; his Human Characters are proportional; expressive; handsomely rendered.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Travis343 posted:

Unironically this

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Norns posted:

Unironically this
I can't imagine anyone would say it ironically. He's the best poster on SA.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Endless Mike posted:

I can't imagine anyone would say it ironically. He's the best poster on SA.

:(

*puts away homemade paper mache posting crown*

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I hope whoever probates otterman gets kicked square in the balls/vagina

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Lurdiak posted:

I still love* you Lurd...

*by love I mean I want to have hot sweaty monkey sex with you

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

You are easily top 3

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Let's get some art up in here.

Starman v2 #20. Jack Knight is visiting an aged Wesley Dodds, the Sandman of the Golden Age who was a friend of his father Ted, when he finds himself in pursuit of an assassin who corners him. Then, this happens:

Leaving aside the scenario of a young, vital hero with his instrument of power needing to be saved by a geriatric, even the thought of a 90 year old superhero should be risible. But it isn't, somehow. And that's why this is one of my favourite pages in comics.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I loved that page and that whole story, where Jack became friends not only with Wesley Dodds (after a lifetime of thinking the JSA were mostly silly, corny old men), but also his life partner Dian Belmont, who was already one of Jack's favorite writers. And at the end, the gift they gave him was so generous and meaningful, it was really touching.

Starman made me cry more different times than all other comics put together. I got to meet Tony Harris at a convention last month, and I told him how much that book meant to me, especially when it was the only constant in my life from 10th grade to graduate school.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

In the X-Men thread we got to talking about various artists and I wondered what Kyle Baker was up to these days.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

SynthOrange posted:

In the X-Men thread we got to talking about various artists and I wondered what Kyle Baker was up to these days.

Hell yeah butt guns

Toadstrieb
Apr 15, 2011
I don't know if this has been posted before, and yes, it's Liefeld, but I laughed my rear end off:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Toadstrieb posted:

I don't know if this has been posted before, and yes, it's Liefeld, but I laughed my rear end off:

It has been posted before, and your chief sin is not posting the accompaniment.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
AV Club has a cool interview with an award winning colorist:

http://www.avclub.com/article/comics-colorist-jordie-bellaire-art-coloring-and-s-238558

Pretty neat reading about an often untalked about aspect of the medium and I really like seeing the before and after images.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

You'd do pretty well if all you read were comics Jordie Bellaire worked on.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Rhyno posted:

Chaykin is aware his style has changed considerably in the last 20 years, he just doesn't seem to care.

And the new artist on GA is excellent.

Yeah his style has changed for the worse since his glory days no question, but compare Chaykin's full-on "gently caress off Marvel and DC, pay me" period of t-rex arms Wolverine to something like Satellite Sam (being in black and white helps too) and it's clear that he's still got talent. It's not Empire or American Flagg but it's good (even if it's stereotypical Chaykin with the subject matter) His Buck Rogers reboot was energetic as well, I could tell that despite drawing it in his new style he gave a poo poo about the subject matter.

I was reading the early pages in this thread a minute ago, funny how poo poo loops around. Combined with the above discussion I figure I should post some Classic Good Chaykin:

I dunno if it's true that his crap work is because he just needed some cash and took work from Marvel and DC despite really not wanting to do it or not, but the guy has really damaged his reputation and it's a huge shame.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Lightning Lord posted:

Yeah his style has changed for the worse since his glory days no question, but compare Chaykin's full-on "gently caress off Marvel and DC, pay me" period of t-rex arms Wolverine to something like Satellite Sam (being in black and white helps too) and it's clear that he's still got talent. It's not Empire or American Flagg but it's good (even if it's stereotypical Chaykin with the subject matter) His Buck Rogers reboot was energetic as well, I could tell that despite drawing it in his new style he gave a poo poo about the subject matter.

I was reading the early pages in this thread a minute ago, funny how poo poo loops around. Combined with the above discussion I figure I should post some Classic Good Chaykin:

I dunno if it's true that his crap work is because he just needed some cash and took work from Marvel and DC despite really not wanting to do it or not, but the guy has really damaged his reputation and it's a huge shame.

Also nobody seems to know how to color his stuff anymore. Miller has the same problem.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Lightning Lord posted:

These are all great except for the hilarious Dad Superman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Thank you for defending Howard Chaykin so that I do not have to go on a weird rant again