Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PRL412
Sep 11, 2007

... ... MINE

Count Chocula posted:

I'm going to get Demon's Souls. The wiki entry is pretty barebones and assumes you've never played a Souls game before (since it was the first one, obviously). Anything more detailed for a Souls vet?

All health restoring items are limited. If you ever run out, return to 1-1 and kill enemies to get more Crescent Moon Grass.

All mana restoring items are limited. If you ever run out, return to 3-1 and kill enemies to get more Fresh spice.

Miracles are one of the best ways to heal, since mana is restored whenever you return to the Nexus.

Don't underestimate using one or two memory slot(s) in order to carry a good miracle/sorcery, regardless of your build. (Barbarian is the only starting class that doesn't have a slot for either).

When in soul form, your HP is cut down to 50%, but there's a ring in 1-1 that will boost your soul form health cap to 75%.

LawfulWaffle posted:

World Tendencies

If you want to participate in this crazy system, it's easiest to boost white tendency first. Don't forget to throw your human body off a ledge in the Nexus, otherwise you'll quickly undo the white tendency you gained from defeating a boss. Focusing on white tendency first also means playing a majority of the game with a lower health cap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Anything for The Crew? I just got an xbone and this game was free with Xbox Live. I did the first few races but it seems like there's a lot going on.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank

limp_cheese posted:

My other question is where should I be building stuff. I know that the lands with bonuses get taken over first but having a keep there let's me lower corruption when they attack the keep. By late game does the corruption spread get bad enough I won't be able to hold those lands and start losing keeps? Is having 3 keeps, 1 crucible, and 1 university enough or should I be building more?

Looking at the bonuses the ones that grant you more xp seem great and the others not so much. Do I have that backwards?

Are there certain items, weapons, or armors I should be prioritizing?

Any other general tips that are not very apparent until after a few playthroughs?

I've played it through to the end once, so maybe don't take me as an authority on this...

I was fine with 3 keeps, 1 crucible and 1 university. To be honest, I can't say that any of the bonuses really felt like they made much difference, so I didn't push for any more.

I was unable to entirely protect all my lands by the end of game - the corruption mechanic of 'here's three, save one' means that by the end, you're shipping corruption and there's not much you can do about it.

I found ranged weapons far superior to melee simply because the small maps and huge numbers of enemies means moving forwards always felt like a bad idea. Killing at range, especially with the no ammo restriction archer types seemed like the best choice. Weapons that pierce were very useful, as well as explosives, just to deal with the numbers. Melee isn't awful though, but I needed health regen or some way of otherwise protecting the melee troops if I was going to use them.

Basically, I just played it though and didn't fell the need to micro-manage too much. It's one of the reasons it felt underwhelming, but this would have been on normal so perhaps hard requires more thought.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Count Chocula posted:

I'm going to get Demon's Souls. The wiki entry is pretty barebones and assumes you've never played a Souls game before (since it was the first one, obviously). Anything more detailed for a Souls vet?

I honestly don't remember where you meet him, but like other Souls games there's a dude that will come back to the Nexus and just start whacking people off.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

FanaticalMilk posted:

I honestly don't remember where you meet him, but like other Souls games there's a dude that will come back to the Nexus and just start whacking people off.

"What do I have to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? Because I'm married..."

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Count Chocula posted:

Demon's Souls is going to be a cakewalk for any DS vet, so you probably don't need too much advice. Now I will point out that the grinding for healing items does get tedious, and if you get tired of it, there is a working dupe bug that you can do starting when you have access to your bank npc.

Two quick tips:

Quite a lot of bosses have some very cheesy methods in killing them due to their AI or walking patterns that you can abuse.

There is gender specific gear. I wouldn't worry too much about it. The female stuff leans more towards casting, at the very least.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

duckfarts posted:

The site already has a page, but has a lot of redundant info.

-WHERE'S MY BAAAAAABYYYYYYY
Also remember that little ones need lots of care :3:

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

Tylana posted:

Don't put down your controller when facing NPCs. Especially with a Sixaxis (as opposed to a Dualshock2). Very very easy to accidentally aggro and/or kill them if your R2 registers, and no way of reverting it that I recall.

This is good advice for all other the Souls games too.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

FanaticalMilk posted:

Its Yurt and you meet him in 3-2

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Since it came up in the PS4 thread, there's a tip for Saints Row 2 on the wiki that says you should do gangs in a certain order. I've done that and I also played it just doing whatever I felt like, and the second time it was a lot more fun. If you do gangs in order you'll only ever see the same 2-3 characters in cutscenes and you'll go from big reward end-of-storyarc missions to $100 intro ones, but if you play the three arcs at about the same pace, you get a nice variety in cutscenes and a much better sense of progression through the game and chaos rising in three corners of the city.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Yeah, that is sort of a bad tip, I usually did it the way you described and it was a lot more enjoyable. I think maybe just doing it in the recommended order but alternating between missions instead of whole arcs works out well. I might've done the last few missions for each arc all in one go though, like the last 2 or 3.

Another SR2 tip: jump on top of a car before you steal it, there's a glitch that just teleports you into the car when you hit Triangle/Y/whatever if you're on top of it. At least this worked in the PS3 version last I played.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
What do I need to know for Rocket League, Shadow of Mordor, Shdaowrun Dragonfall, or Shadowrun Hong Kong? For the last two I'm mostly looking for character creation tips.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

What do I need to know for Rocket League, Shadow of Mordor, Shdaowrun Dragonfall, or Shadowrun Hong Kong? For the last two I'm mostly looking for character creation tips.

There was some Shadowrun discussion a few pages back.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Shadow of Mordor: If I recall the wiki entry for this is pretty decent, but some stuff off the top of my head:
You get the Brand ability from a story mission. It's like the second story mission after you travel to the other map.
Once you get it, I think you do one more story mission after that in the chain and it lets you actually command any captains you brand by grabbing them, dominating them, and then hitting Y (Xbox controller) or whatever your counter button is. That'll let you send them against other targets. You don't actually get the option until the mission shows you how to use it, despite being able to Brand before completing the second mission.
The final boss fights are rear end. They're not hard, but completely unsatisfying. You can continue playing after you beat the final boss fights, but really you're not missing out on anything cool if you feel like just dicking around more before you finish the story. It has a big warning before you start the final mission, so you won't do it accidentally.
The Shadow Strike stuff is pretty useful, and you unlock it early.
Ranged guys are assholes, but they're easy to kill. Flip on over there and cut them up rather than tanking the shots.
If you have the DLC, you get a rune for your sword that lets you unlock the Storm of whatever ability that basically gives you a rage meter. If you're dealing with a bullshit situation, there's not many that popping that meter and spamming executions won't get you out of.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Rocket League - hit the ball with your car

there really isn't any more to it. You'll develop skill naturally as you go. At first just try to go for straight shots on goal, a good newbie strategy is to have one person push the ball from the corner towards the goal while another player comes in from mid-field and rams the ball into the goal as it rolls past. When you get good though you'll learn to do backwards bicycle kick goal scores from mid-air, just takes finesse. Practice, practice, practice.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Shdaowrun Dragonfall, or Shadowrun Hong Kong? For the last two I'm mostly looking for character creation tips.
In Dragonfall you don't really get a straight-up Mage companion and the Decker (hacker) party member you get is so-so at best. So rolling as either a Mage or an assault-rifle toting Decker are both good options.

If you're going to want to do make a melee character, you're probably going to want to do it in Hong Kong. Otherwise, the Decker party member you get in HK is actually good at her job and letting her do it means you don't have to worry about buying hacking software, so maybe pick another role. Basically, in HK you can do fine with whatever you think sounds cool as long as you're not spreading your points too thin to be good at anything.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ainsley McTree posted:

What kind of character build/party composition would you recommend for Dragon Age Origins for someone who's basically completely new to video games?

I don't think I ever said thanks at the time, but thanks for the tips that everyone gave me to this question. Now I have another question and you'll never guess what it is:

What class/party comp/general tips would you recommend for someone in Dragon Age 2 whose only experience with video games is playing through Origins and Awakening?

Ideally I'd like a class that can excel with the use of only three abilities; we're playing on the 360 and I couldn't quite get her into the habit of using the right trigger to access a second set of abilities, so if there's a class that can play well using only three abilities, I'd like to do that. Two-hander warrior maybe (with Aveline handling the actual tanking)? Can Mage excel with only three spells?

She played as an Archer in origins (despite your tips to the contrary; unfortunately she started playing almost immediately after I made the post so I didn't have time to actually read your tips before starting :(), but I've never played one in 2, dunno how effective/simple they are. She got through origins just fine, though at some point in the mid-game I had to step in and set up all the AI characters to drink a potion if their health dipped below 50%.

I also dutifully set her expectations appropriately for the...quality of the game. She wants to play anyway, bless her heart

We'll be playing on Casual, if that wasn't implied :)

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I don't think I ever said thanks at the time, but thanks for the tips that everyone gave me to this question. Now I have another question and you'll never guess what it is:

What class/party comp/general tips would you recommend for someone in Dragon Age 2 whose only experience with video games is playing through Origins and Awakening?

Ideally I'd like a class that can excel with the use of only three abilities; we're playing on the 360 and I couldn't quite get her into the habit of using the right trigger to access a second set of abilities, so if there's a class that can play well using only three abilities, I'd like to do that. Two-hander warrior maybe (with Aveline handling the actual tanking)? Can Mage excel with only three spells?

She played as an Archer in origins (despite your tips to the contrary; unfortunately she started playing almost immediately after I made the post so I didn't have time to actually read your tips before starting :(), but I've never played one in 2, dunno how effective/simple they are. She got through origins just fine, though at some point in the mid-game I had to step in and set up all the AI characters to drink a potion if their health dipped below 50%.

I also dutifully set her expectations appropriately for the...quality of the game. She wants to play anyway, bless her heart

We'll be playing on Casual, if that wasn't implied :)

I would say a Rogue of either variety would be best for her. Dual-Wield rogues have high damage but are the only class to lack AoE, which might be a good thing since she'll have to pay less attention to what's around her. Archers have to pay a bit more attention to their target's surroundings. Either way, I'm not sure how well she's gonna do with just three abilities. DA2 is a lot more active ability focused and plays much more like a party-based Diablo than D&D, compared to the "ALL MODALS ALL THE TIME" that tends to be the ideal strategy for all non-mages in DAO. I do think DA2 is the easier game though.

One advantage I'll point out is that DA2's tactics system is MUCH more thorough than DAO's, to the point where you can set tactics for an automated flexible crowd control mage and require no manual overriding even on Hard. It'd probably be worth it if every once in a while you took the controller to set up tactics for her party members they might even be able to carry her even if she end up doing diddly squat.

As for party composition, as long as each class is represented use whoever. Class and party member balance is surprisingly good in DA2 and very rarely is one particular character type necessary for anything.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Rogue Archer and Two Hand warrior would both work, I think. I'd go for the 2h warrior, because being I find in the thick of the action is more fun, but the rogue archer can just stand back and fire exploding arrows at stuff, so it works too. Going 2H warrior means you won't have room for the moany, emo elf guy while archer means leaving behind the sarcastic dwarf and the DLC companion.

DA2 is much easier than DA:O, and generally better balanced, so you don't really need to worry too much if you're playing on Casual mode. The only thing you need to watch out for is that extra enemies will be added to most battles half way through them, and these enemies will literally drop in out of thin air in places you don't expect, often behind you. So, you'll be all tactically set up with your mage behind your tank, all going well, when suddenly 3 fighters will materialize behind your mage and splat him because gently caress you, that's why =/

Still, I think the game gets a bit of a bad rap, if you can get over the reinforcements thing and you ignore the obnoxious, constant recycling of areas, it's not that bad a game. I actually quite like the plot, since it departs from the "Heroes out to save the world!" thing, and goes for more of a "Random fuckups get hailed as heroes for saving people from disasters which they themselves actually caused"

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Gerblyn posted:

Rogue Archer and Two Hand warrior would both work, I think. I'd go for the 2h warrior, because being I find in the thick of the action is more fun, but the rogue archer can just stand back and fire exploding arrows at stuff, so it works too. Going 2H warrior means you won't have room for the moany, emo elf guy while archer means leaving behind the sarcastic dwarf and the DLC companion.

DA2 is much easier than DA:O, and generally better balanced, so you don't really need to worry too much if you're playing on Casual mode. The only thing you need to watch out for is that extra enemies will be added to most battles half way through them, and these enemies will literally drop in out of thin air in places you don't expect, often behind you. So, you'll be all tactically set up with your mage behind your tank, all going well, when suddenly 3 fighters will materialize behind your mage and splat him because gently caress you, that's why =/

Still, I think the game gets a bit of a bad rap, if you can get over the reinforcements thing and you ignore the obnoxious, constant recycling of areas, it's not that bad a game. I actually quite like the plot, since it departs from the "Heroes out to save the world!" thing, and goes for more of a "Random fuckups get hailed as heroes for saving people from disasters which they themselves actually caused"

Yeah, I'm thinking 2H warrior might be a good speed. That's what I played when I played it, and I seem to remember it being a pretty simple wrecking ball; point your face towards groups of enemies, and cycle through a handful of abilities (I feel like I could pick the three best ones and she'll be fine, and if I can get her to remember to turn on a modal or two, even better) until everyone's dead. I'll drag Aveline along to do actual tanking; won't do as much damage that way, but it'll be easy. I think.

2H rogue sounds good too, since positionals aren't a thing anymore...but I can't remember how on-the-ball you have to be with ability usage to make it work, and their lower HP means she'll die more. I seem to remember descending into a "gently caress it just press buttons" attitude with warrior and doing just fine, except for that one fight in the mines against the dragon.

I'll probably pick one of the two, and let the AI worry about the mage stuff.

Oh dear clone
Apr 8, 2016
I don't normally like being a warrior but 2H is great in DA2, would definitely recommend. For a start it means you can take both Varric and Isabela around with you.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

What do I need to know for Rocket League

duckfarts posted:

Get used to using follow the ball mode
For now, use your second jump to just go straight up for headers and don't use it to flip yet until you the hang of contacting the ball
Always try to grab boost on the way to a ball, especially the full boost, even if you're full
If you're playing 3v3, consider hanging back on your side or midfield to act as defense against stray shots and to try and take a shot when a ball gets loose or centered
Start by using one of the vans; they have slightly larger hitboxes

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Now I have a question about a game I'm playing myself; in Pillars of Eternity, will the named companions you find develop new quests as you travel, or can you safely put them on the bench as soon as you're done with the initial quest that they came with?

For example, I'm finding that I dislike chanters, and I've finished the quest that...Kama? Kara? whatever his name is, gave me when I found him. Can I just swap him out for a generic NPC that I do like the playstyle of, or is more story stuff gonna happen organically by keeping him in my party as I explore the world?

tl;dr--once I finish a companion's quest, can I send them to my stronghold forever without worrying about missing anything, or will I get new quests/interesting stuff by keeping them in my party?

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

Zaphod42 posted:

Rocket League - hit the ball with your car

there really isn't any more to it. You'll develop skill naturally as you go. At first just try to go for straight shots on goal, a good newbie strategy is to have one person push the ball from the corner towards the goal while another player comes in from mid-field and rams the ball into the goal as it rolls past. When you get good though you'll learn to do backwards bicycle kick goal scores from mid-air, just takes finesse. Practice, practice, practice.

There's gotta be more. My friend picked it up in about 2 seconds but I still can't get a handle on it.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

What do I need to know for Rocket League

Join us in the thread and discord! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3718089 Playing with goons is good because you can get consistent partners, which helps let you focus on your own game. There's usually a few people about at any given time free to play and at least one big goon game each day. Also don't neglect the training scenarios if you want to improve your skills, especially the aerial training.

duckfarts posted:

Always try to grab boost on the way to a ball, especially the full boost, even if you're full

Gonna nitpick this one, if you're full on boost driving over any boost won't pick it up. Boosting to it while full can be useful as you can prevent an opponent from picking it up. Or you might take it from a teammate who needed it more than you :v:

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Overminty posted:

Gonna nitpick this one, if you're full on boost driving over any boost won't pick it up. Boosting to it while full can be useful as you can prevent an opponent from picking it up. Or you might take it from a teammate who needed it more than you :v:

Yeah, the point is to deny the other team from having boost as well as keeping yours up

Aafter
Apr 14, 2009

A is for After.
yo dawg, your wiki is broke dick

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

code:
http://beforeiplay.com/load.php?debug=false&lang=en&modules=mediawiki.legac…face%7Cmediawiki.ui.button%7Cskins.vector.styles&only=styles&skin=vector&* Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 500 (MediaWiki exception)
http://beforeiplay.com/load.php?debug=false&lang=en&modules=site&only=styles&skin=vector&* Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 500 (MediaWiki exception)
http://beforeiplay.com/load.php?debug=false&lang=en&modules=startup&only=scripts&skin=vector&* Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 500 (MediaWiki exception)
THE WIKI IS SICK!! :aaaaa:

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
what should I know before I use the beforeiplay.com site

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Php

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
that sounds pretty useful! should probably put that on the wiki

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Ainsley McTree posted:

Now I have a question about a game I'm playing myself; in Pillars of Eternity, will the named companions you find develop new quests as you travel, or can you safely put them on the bench as soon as you're done with the initial quest that they came with?

For example, I'm finding that I dislike chanters, and I've finished the quest that...Kama? Kara? whatever his name is, gave me when I found him. Can I just swap him out for a generic NPC that I do like the playstyle of, or is more story stuff gonna happen organically by keeping him in my party as I explore the world?

tl;dr--once I finish a companion's quest, can I send them to my stronghold forever without worrying about missing anything, or will I get new quests/interesting stuff by keeping them in my party?

Each companion has one really simple quest-- not necessarily doable quickly, but if I recall Kana's requires you to get to the bottom of the stronghold dungeon so you can probably finish most of the rest of them at this point. The lack of in-depth quests for them is a little disappointing, but feel free to bench them, even if you haven't finished their quest. There's no bonus besides party wide EXP for finishing them.

You do miss out on party banter with generics, but chances are unless you have subtitles for minor dialogue or whatever on already, you're missing out on most of it anyway since you can't hear your dudes more than like a screen and a half away from where they're talking.

Worth noting that chanters are really loving strong at high levels though. Not strong enough that they're required or anything, but they start mediocre and get to be one of the most universally good classes at the end.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Count Uvula posted:

Each companion has one really simple quest-- not necessarily doable quickly, but if I recall Kana's requires you to get to the bottom of the stronghold dungeon so you can probably finish most of the rest of them at this point. The lack of in-depth quests for them is a little disappointing, but feel free to bench them, even if you haven't finished their quest. There's no bonus besides party wide EXP for finishing them.

You do miss out on party banter with generics, but chances are unless you have subtitles for minor dialogue or whatever on already, you're missing out on most of it anyway since you can't hear your dudes more than like a screen and a half away from where they're talking.

Worth noting that chanters are really loving strong at high levels though. Not strong enough that they're required or anything, but they start mediocre and get to be one of the most universally good classes at the end.
I think the problem with Kana is that most people build him offensively; give him heavy armor, the biggest shield you can find and he can recite bad poetry forever.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I've submitted a ticket with my hosting.

No idea what a generic "Cannot access server" error means with Mediawiki.

My other websites on the same hosting seem fine, even those with databases.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

duckfarts posted:

what should I know before I use the beforeiplay.com site
I am embarrassed by how hard I just laughed at this.

Also godspeed little page, you are one of the good ones

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
I would like to take this moment to thank Centipeed for his efforts to maintain and update the website, it's a wonderful resource. I'll send it to nongoon friends all the time and they love it. Thanks man!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Oh dear clone posted:

I don't normally like being a warrior but 2H is great in DA2, would definitely recommend. For a start it means you can take both Varric and Isabela around with you.

I couldn't stand da2 but a lot of people loved it for all its flaws, so don't go too heavy on the goon loathing imo.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

My host just told me that I should try resetting the database password and setting the new one in Mediawiki's LocalSettings.php file, which I've done, and it didn't help.

It's a bit baffling - going to "Beforeiplay.com" shows me this page:

Is everyone else seeing this?

But, if I go to a page like this:

http://www.beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Final_Fantasy_10

I'll get the regular page, looking normal.

Some pages I visit won't have styling, however (The CSS doesn't seem to load, so it's all just plain text).

Going back to the index at any point will still give me the database error.

Anyone got any ideas? Googling it turns up almost nothing.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I see the page without any styling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I see the FF10 page you linked with styling (and I know I haven't accessed that page of the wiki prior, so it's not cached), and I can intermittently access the main page. I just had it load now, but if I refreshed it didn't. Very strange.

If I tried to go to the Victor Vran page, which the front page shows as the most recent entry, I get a connection reset and chrome immediately fails to load the page.

[EDIT]Are you hosting the database with the same host as the site provider, or is referencing something remotely?