Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Aphrodite posted:

The Alien and Predator stuff is some of the most shameless palette swapped line around though?

Like every picture you guys post is the same drat thing.

To be fair a lot of that is actually screen-accurate, so NECA isn't exactly to blame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Red posted:

I bought exactly one SOTA SF figure: Sodom.

I dropped him, on carpet, and he exploded into 20 pieces.

If I ever got another one, it's not coming out of the package.

I recently bought and sold a couple SOTA Street Fighter collections and I have a nice large bag of stuff that broke. Some of it simple like Ibuki's fist pegs breaking when swapping a hand. The later stuff after Jerry sold the company is REALLY bad, Zangief, Dhalsim, Mika, and E Honda are made with terrible brittle plastic.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Aphrodite posted:

The Alien and Predator stuff is some of the most shameless palette swapped line around though?

Like every picture you guys post is the same drat thing.

That's how everything looks when it's not your "thing." Here's a list of stuff that's a lot more indistinguishable to me (because I don't care about it): Gundam, Pokemon, Walking Dead, Pacific Rim.

I can't even imagine how samey the WWE toy section must look to someone that's unfamiliar with wrestling.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Why cookie Rocket posted:

That's how everything looks when it's not your "thing." Here's a list of stuff that's a lot more indistinguishable to me (because I don't care about it): Gundam, Pokemon, Walking Dead, Pacific Rim.

I can't even imagine how samey the WWE toy section must look to someone that's unfamiliar with wrestling.

Predator and Predator 2 are two of my favorite movies, and I can't tell the difference between most of the Predators

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

People buy the poo poo out of their Predator stuff so I'd never hold it against them that they focus on it so much. I used to buy it around the time they did Dutch, but eventually tired of it. Was a fun line to grab occasionally for $20 at TRU.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I will never buy another NECA product again - it's all poo poo with garbage paint apps.

McFarlane stuff used to be cool though as many said. It's sorta what got me into this whole hobby. Not much articulation but who cares when they were posed fine already.

Their Hellraiser ripoff(?), Tortured Souls, were loving awesome with great paintapps and cool little features with all the chains.

Mandarin Spawn was a thing of beauty, pretty huge and great paint apps.

And Cyber Spawn

It's a shame it all went to hell.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Red posted:

I bought exactly one SOTA SF figure: Sodom.

I dropped him, on carpet, and he exploded into 20 pieces.

If I ever got another one, it's not coming out of the package.

So, at that point you'd feel safe saying you felt sodomized? :haw:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Anyone ever collect the Resaurus Street Fighter line? I remember those looking beautiful back in the day. I wanted those chibi inspired ones but it was hard to find.

They were pretty solid toys with amazing paint apps.

E: Wow, eBay showing prices a round $100. :3:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I still have the street fighter jr. Ken figure, next to a SOTA Ken on my shelf. I had a Sakura too but she broke.

Good articulation is one of the most important things to me in a figure. I have never enjoyed McFarlane and the statue approach.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Resaurus Street Fighter are fine if you don't mind them having no articulation. Some of the color variants are practically non-existent these days, however. I have every single one including most of the canceled colorways.

Caesarian Sectarian fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jun 30, 2016

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

boom boom boom posted:

But how much of that is the weird new Halo armor designs?

It isn't that. They just have no washes, etc to make the stuff look decent. It is just some flat molded plastic, which when you compare it to the video game makes it look really weird and awful. Also there is some pretty obvious mold issues shown too. It would be more understandable if it were released product since let's be honest 90% of the time a figure looks worse on a retail shelf compared to the promo shots on the package or online. But when the promo shots look that bad and seeing Mattel's track record lately it doesn't give me much hope.

As a plus though I imagine that customizers are going to make those look incredible.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
My local comic shop got some of those Mattel Halo figs in recently and I honestly thought they were cheap chinese knock-offs until I saw the Mattel logo. They almost look like there's no paint app at all, just molded colors. It's bad, real bad.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

So, at that point you'd feel safe saying you felt sodomized? :haw:

:colbert: I didn't like how it felt, whatever it was called.

ShimSham
May 25, 2007

I heard you
like how I sack.

Rhyno posted:

They both suck equally. What's our third option since we're dreaming?

Funko, their poo poo will break even faster than McFarlane and NECA.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Xenomrph posted:

To be fair a lot of that is actually screen-accurate, so NECA isn't exactly to blame.

Yeah for real.

Every Predator movie figure has a completely different base figure. It's just...they literally used the same molds to make the costumes.

Aliens included. Aliens was just the Alien suit without a few details, and every ADI alien besides Alien 3 was the same exact thing minus a few details.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

If anyone has been on the fence about getting the Chitauri from Hot Toys, I found a price too good to pass up, even as a "sure, why not" option. Popcultcha, the Aussie official distributor for Hot Toys has them on clearance:

I paid $178 shipped with ECI to the US for them both.

http://www.popcultcha.com.au/hot-toys/marvel.html#p=2

Corn Glizzy fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jun 30, 2016

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Are those prices in aussie funbucks are real red white and blue dollars?

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

RevKrule posted:

Are those prices in aussie funbucks are real red white and blue dollars?

Thats USD in that picture, and the price even went lower than that once I added them to my cart and told them my shipping address, cause that VAT stuff comes off too not being in the Queen's Territory

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I don't remember there being two kinds of aliens in that movie

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

boom boom boom posted:

I don't remember there being two kinds of aliens in that movie

Racist

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

When is Hot Toys or whoever gonna do the Independence Day aliens? I still have the complete toy line from the first movie from 1996, but I'd love to get modern updates with modern articulation and poo poo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Xenomrph posted:

When is Hot Toys or whoever gonna do the Independence Day aliens? I still have the complete toy line from the first movie from 1996, but I'd love to get modern updates with modern articulation and poo poo.

With the negative critical reaction to the new one, probably never.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Xenomrph posted:

Never. The new one bombed and no one cares about ID4.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

But there's a lovely pop you can buy though!

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

I know a shop that had the old figures still sealed. Floppy disk included!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

Never. The new one bombed and no one cares about ID4.

But I care about ID4, and the new movie hasn't even been out 1 week yet. <:mad:>

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

But I care about ID4, and the new movie hasn't even been out 1 week yet. <:mad:>

That's all it takes

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I saw it last night and I was the only one in the theater.

It's also poo poo, maybe the worst film I've ever paid to see.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Rage posted:

I got to see the Mythic Legion figures in person tonight and I am loving kicking myself over not getting in on that. Granted I had no clue they existed but I want those skeleton figures in the worst way.

I got a bunch of their weird-rear end bird warrior things because that's pretty boss, then their next offering was...knight #4 and viking #3 and I was all "fuuuuuuck that". It's like they never even noticed that the weird oddities sold the best and are getting gonzo prices on eBay "Gee Pink Flamingo Warrior with wings and battle accessories is selling through the roof! We need something bad-rear end and odd to follow up with! I KNOW: a viking!!"

Karnith
Jul 9, 2014
The SH Figuarts The Rock and Stone Cold are up for order now and slated for a Christmas release.

Karnith fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Jul 1, 2016

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Karnith posted:

The SH Figuarts The Rock and Stone Cold are up for order now and slated for a Christmas release.

They need to stop goofing around and do the Undertaker and Randy Savage.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

LMAO the beer accessory. Beautiful.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
If anyone was looking at the Muppet Select line but you don't want to pay $20+ for them, check out Toys R Us. Maybe the line isn't doing that great (they are really small), but it looks like Diamond Select is repackaging them without most of the accessories and knocking the price down to $13.

I think I'll get the cheap versions at Toys R Us from now on for the ones I don't care as much about because paying $10 more just for a popcorn bucket and a tiny plastic tripod (Gonzo package) seems insane. Or on Kermit it looks like you get the banjo but not the guitar and not the directors chair (which isn't even sculpted to fit Kermit's rear end). I like how there are options at least.

An Ounce of Gold fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jul 1, 2016

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Star Wars Black 6" Exclusives revealed, Obi-Wan and Unmasked Kylo Ren!

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Yes by all means make my most-wanted black series figure a goddam SDCC exclusive you horrible assholes.

At least I can take solace in the fact that the black series policy of "soft goods when plastic is needed and vice versa" is firmly in place.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I would kill for a decent Alec Guinness Obi-Wan. Hopefully my local comic shop will get a few of those and not charge an insane amount of money. They're usually pretty reasonable with the SDCC stuff they bring back.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

At least Obi-Wan will probably be released at retail without the table.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
All the black series sdcc exclusives have been released at retail. You will just be paying for the table and flag, which are neat admittedly.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I like the table. I'm gonna put all my Obi-Wans around it, musing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

An Ounce of Gold posted:

If anyone was looking at the Muppet Select line but you don't want to pay $20+ for them, check out Toys R Us. Maybe the line isn't doing that great (they are really small), but it looks like Diamond Select is repackaging them without most of the accessories and knocking the price down to $13.

I think I'll get the cheap versions at Toys R Us from now on for the ones I don't care as much about because paying $10 more just for a popcorn bucket and a tiny plastic tripod (Gonzo package) seems insane. Or on Kermit it looks like you get the banjo but not the guitar and not the directors chair (which isn't even sculpted to fit Kermit's rear end). I like how there are options at least.

It's a Toys R Us thing. They'll carry DS figs without a lot of the accoutrements that they'll have in comic stores. I know they did the Star Trek figs without the bases