Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer

HMS Boromir posted:

I'll take a crack at it.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($204.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock B150M Pro4S Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill NT Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($31.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($154.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($247.50 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($32.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $812.43
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-29 12:22 EDT-0400

- Best price/performance i5
- Saving money with a no frills motherboard and 8 gigs of RAM, you can go up to 2x8 if you want, or could put in another 2x4 later as the motherboard has enough slots.
- Picked an SSD only; a 250GB one and a 1TB hard drive is also a (slightly cheaper) option if you want more space and don't mind possibly having to juggle things onto the SSD sometimes
- The 970 is still the card to beat as far as 1080p goes. The RX 480 is in the process of launching but it's looking like it'll have the same price and performance at best, and that's once the aftermarket cooler versions come out
- Cheap but good mATX case
- High quality PSU with a ridiculously long warranty, currently cheap thanks to a rebate.

It looks like the RAM that i had here isn't available anymore? Can anyone suggest a 2x4 or a single 8?

Also, does anyone else have any input, i'm about to press the buy button and wanna make sure this all looks decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkangelus
Jan 23, 2007
What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for? Live Streaming
What's your budget? 600, 750 if necessary. Ideally anything above 600 would represent significant gains/value or be critical to functionality.
If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? It'll be a dedicated streaming computer running OBS (https://obsproject.com/)
Desired bit rate, etc... 1080p 3500 bit rate 30 fps (let me know if I'm misusing terminology/unclear)

My brother has run a small film company focusing on commercials for the past few years. He's wanting to experiment with streaming content (not gaming), most likely on Twitch. He asked for my help with figuring out what computer to build/buy to do the streaming and so I'm asking you.
Based on his research he identified this computer as a possible candidate: http://dealnews.com/Dell-Inspiron-Skylake-Core-i7-Quad-3.4-GHz-PC-for-579-free-shipping/1718642.html
From trying to build the same computer on PCPartPicker it seems like this is a great deal. At the same time I'm not sure if we're missing cheaper/better options or if it will actually be powerful enough.
Appreciate any help/insight you can offer.

Edit: Oh I also noticed the motherboard doesn't appear to be listed on that deal. Is that something I should be worried about or advertising just didn't consider it important info?

Arkangelus fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jul 1, 2016

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Loose Ifer posted:

It looks like the RAM that i had here isn't available anymore? Can anyone suggest a 2x4 or a single 8?

Also, does anyone else have any input, i'm about to press the buy button and wanna make sure this all looks decent.

Here:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/XgJkcf/gskill-memory-f42133c15s8gnt

The motherboard you listed can't handle anything faster than DDR4-2133 anyway.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

short version: What's a minimal video card that does hardware encoding for Steam in-home streaming that does NOT need to be up to the task of today's games?

Have a PC I built about nine years ago. Switched to PS4 for my contemporary AAA gaming years ago so I am not interested in doing a full-fledged upgrade. Like everybody, I do have a big collection of stuff I never really touched on Steam; got a Steam Link with the idea of clearing some of that backlog from the comfort of a coach and it works better than I expected. Network lag is not a problem but I do run into "slow encoding" a lot. Haven't bought a AAA game on PC in forever, just curious if I can get something that would be old by today's standards on the cheap that would handle this -- I'm guessing literally any card that does this would be a huge step up from my HD4850 with 512MB. Nvidia is supposed to be better at this, I do know.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
A bit of research indicates that a 650/750 or better on the Nvidia side or an R7 260 or better on the AMD side should be OK. There are older AMD cards capable of it but they won't be as good as the 260, which is not that expensive anyway.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Thanks, that's what I was having trouble nailing down.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
750ti maybe? Or 950 or an rx 460 when it comes out

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
I've got an ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac motherboard. DDR3 RAM. I've only got 8gb at the moment, I'd like to go up to 16gb. Primarily for gaming.

Hoping to spend in the 50-70 range for each part, but I'm a little flexible. It looks like anything over 1600 is overclocked RAM or something?

Anyone have any recommendations? Or should I really just be looking at a new motherboard at this point? I've got an i7-4770k in there and can currently run most stuff at pretty high settings.

Eventually gotta upgrade the case and PSU but that might have to wait a little while.

What Country: USA
Budget: 50-70, flexible
Primary goal: Gaming

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
What are you using the system for? Gaming/General Use/Internet
What's your budget? Would like to keep it under $900
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? I only play Paradox games, maybe the new Civilization when it comes out...

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($197.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock Z170 Pro4S ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($109.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Team Vulcan 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($60.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Sandisk Z400s 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.49 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($247.50 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($57.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: Rosewill 600W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $851.82
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-01 01:35 EDT-0400

Any glaring stupidities or errors here?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Swedish Metal posted:

What are you using the system for? Gaming
What's your budget? ~$1500 with a monitor
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? I would like to be maxed out 1080P and possibly 1440P if I can find a reasonable monitor (though 1080P is perfectly acceptable)

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($238.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($43.45 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI Z170A KRAIT GAMING 3X ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($120.48 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($91.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Founders Edition Video Card ($449.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: NZXT S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1159.86
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-30 19:24 EDT-0400

I'm open to suggestions/criticisms regarding this build, but I do have a few questions:

What would be a suitable monitor? I don't know where to begin with these, but I do know I would like at least 24" or larger. It'll more than likely be a single monitor setup.
The CPU cooler... any feedback would be great. How far can I push overclocking with this? Is it worth using or should I upgrade to a LCL for 4+GHz?

I'm waiting roughly 2 weeks before ordering anything to make sure this isn't an impulse buy. Plus, it's hard to come by 1070's at the moment...

Thanks for the help goons

Get a 1070 other than the founders edition.

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer

Neo_Crimson posted:

Here:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/XgJkcf/gskill-memory-f42133c15s8gnt

The motherboard you listed can't handle anything faster than DDR4-2133 anyway.

Thank you kindly sir!

I pulled the trigger. Woohoo.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Ordered all my parts today, minus video card. NCIX shipping rates :gonk:

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Can anyone tell me the difference between these "different" series of ram?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Zero The Hero posted:

From the provided specs the difference is cosmetic. It's likely that the heat spreaders are it.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Zero The Hero posted:

I can't remember why, but I remember reading something that made me favor trident back when I built my system. I think it was the brand they used for their highest spec stuff so I guess I speculated that it might have a marginally higher tolerance or something, but I honestly don't remember. But my advice would be to get the trident in a tie breaker because I trust fosbourne research from 2 months ago that he doesn't remember.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I can't remember why, but I remember reading something that made me favor trident back when I built my system. I think it was the brand they used for their highest spec stuff so I guess I speculated that it might have a marginally higher tolerance or something, but I honestly don't remember. But my advice would be to get the trident in a tie breaker because I trust fosbourne research from 2 months ago that he doesn't remember.

I saw a similar trend, tried to look into the specs to figure out why, and couldn't, so I suspect:

Rexxed posted:

From the provided specs the difference is cosmetic. It's likely that the heat spreaders are it.

is the truth.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Re: demciflex filter availability on the last page, I found a decent amount of their stuff in stock at https://www.performance-pcs.com/, based in Florida. Only $4.95 to ship by USPS, if you don't mind snail mail.

I have another airflow question though: This frequently linked test found that leaving unused fan mounts unblocked can help your temps dramatically... if I open up the unused top vents of my R5 and put a demciflex filter over them, will I still be able to maintain positive pressure with my one extra intake fan? Or is turning the entire top of the case into a vent too much for it to account for?

If it matters, I've got two 140 intakes front and side, and a matching exhaust in rear. I'm worried that with so much air escaping out the top, it won't flow as forcefully out the little gaps and might let dust and hair in... with two cats and a dog we have a serious dander issue :ohdear:

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jul 1, 2016

Tunklord Supreme
Jun 4, 2011

dragon bong z

Tunklord Supreme posted:

thanks, that's good to know. after taking these suggestions into account and reworking my list a little i've come up with this:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($204.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($55.38 @ Newegg)
Memory: PNY Anarchy 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Sandisk X400 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($85.81)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 480 8GB Video Card ($243.98)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1500 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($74.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: *Cooler Master 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $770.11
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-30 20:08 EDT-0400

looks like i'll be coming in at just under $800, which is really the absolute limit on what i'm willing to spend, but i figure the improvements are worth a little extra. have i double dumbassed on anything here or does this all look kosher?

wanted to repost this so it didn't get hidden on the last post of the last page. i'm pulling the trigger on all of this today, but first i wanted to get final confirmation from someone smarter than me that this is all going to work together. also do i need to worry about it all fitting in the case or is this stuff all pretty streamlined?

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

Dohaeris posted:

I've got an ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac motherboard. DDR3 RAM. I've only got 8gb at the moment, I'd like to go up to 16gb. Primarily for gaming.

Hoping to spend in the 50-70 range for each part, but I'm a little flexible. It looks like anything over 1600 is overclocked RAM or something?

Anyone have any recommendations? Or should I really just be looking at a new motherboard at this point? I've got an i7-4770k in there and can currently run most stuff at pretty high settings.

Eventually gotta upgrade the case and PSU but that might have to wait a little while.

What Country: USA
Budget: 50-70, flexible
Primary goal: Gaming
I was in the same boat as you until recently (same mobo, same amount of RAM). I ended up getting this kit, which I liked because it didn't have a giant gaudy heatsink that so many "gaming" memory kits have. (It also has lower CAS latency, but that really makes no difference.) Overclocked memory doesn't make much difference, so I think you're good to stick with 1600 MHz.

Changing mobos wouldn't make a lotta sense. You'd either have to upgrade procs (to a new socket) and memory (up to DDR4) as well, or just sink money into an older chipset/architecture to keep all of your current components.

I'd just hang on to what you have for now and bump up to 16GB RAM

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

What are you using the system for? Gaming and running multiple VMs to explore new technologies, hence the 32GB of RAM below.
What's your budget? $2k-ish for the box. Monitor, OS, peripherals don't count against that.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? Don't have one yet, but it'll be 2560x1440; I've included my front-runner below, but I'm open to suggestions.

Here's what I'm currently playing around with.

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($345.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GTX 104.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VIII HERO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($199.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($179.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($154.85 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Founders Edition Video Card ($699.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Thermaltake Suppressor F51 ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($95.98 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Dell U2715H 27.0" 60Hz Monitor ($502.11 @ Amazon)
Total: $2548.87
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-01 11:34 EDT-0400

I'm waffling on the motherboard, going between this and the Gigabyte Gaming 5 or 7. I'm a bit concerned that QA at Asus has gotten worse. I'm open to other suggestions here. I'd like the option of doing M.2, because the technology geek in me thinks that it's loving sweet, so I've included that here, but it's by no means a requirement.

I can't decide on case; I like the looks of this one well enough, and it appears as though I can top-mount the radiator for the cooler, so hooray for that. That having been said, I'm far from married to it. Really what I'd like is good internal configurability, good airflow, and front USB 3.x. I may or may not add 3.5" spinning platters later on, but I'd like to keep the option open. I don't want anything ostentatious and I don't care about having a window so I can see the innards, but if it gets me an appreciably better case, then I'm fine with it.

Any direction is appreciated. Amazon is the preferred vendor, since it's on the cashback calendar for my Discover card, which means I get an effective 10% back right now, but that's only if it makes sense - if the best option is only available elsewhere, then I'll buy it elsewhere.

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space
What's your budget? My goal was to keep it under $1000. I'm willing to go $200 above that if I have a really good reason.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? I am aiming for 1080p at high settings for recent games. I'm upgrading from a 4 year old ThinkPad so I don't feel the need to go totally :krad:, but I may look to upgrade in 2-3 years.

CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS9900ALED Ball Bearing CPU Cooler ($39.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock Z170M Pro4S Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($59.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($92.00 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.49 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($274.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair 500R Black ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($75.88 @ Newegg)
Total: $989.20
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-01 14:47 EDT-0400

This is my first desktop since 2005 and I was completely lost when it came to current motherboards... also a bit paranoid I've overlooked some sort of devious compatibility. I'm not planning to overclock right out of the gate, but I'd like to have the option once I get a better understanding of just what I'm dealing with. I appreciate any feedback you can give. I'm really excited to play Shadow of Mordor and some other games I missed over the years. Thanks goons :)

Swedish Metal
Jun 17, 2003

The only one that can do what I do is me. Lot of people had to die for me to be me. You wanna be me?

blowfish posted:

Get a 1070 other than the founders edition.

It's more or less a place holder, but I am willing to spend the extra $$ for the "Armor" edition because it's more aesthetic than the FE. What's the main gripe with FE's?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Swedish Metal posted:

It's more or less a place holder, but I am willing to spend the extra $$ for the "Armor" edition because it's more aesthetic than the FE. What's the main gripe with FE's?

Blower coolers are loud for the cooling they give unless you have bad case airflow and need the heat ejected. That's not something really worth a premium.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Amazon has started to advertise their second annual July sale. Was there anything worth buying, computer part wise, last year? I remember hearing that the sale itself was lame, but never hurts to ask!

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
A friend is asking about this motherboard for a Skylake build:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01AUSEBHE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

I've advised him against buying Gigabyte motherboards but for some reason he keeps going back to them in his configurations. Some men just want to watch the world burn, I suppose.

Would this motherboard be a bad idea?

UnhealthyJoe
Aug 9, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

June 29th, but you can always get the system together and slap in the video card later, we don't know if there will be shortages at launch so you might end up waiting a week or so before being able to get your hands on one. In the mean time you just use the onboard graphics, you can even play some games on lower settings with the iGPU on the i5-6500 while you wait.

I missed the release of the card but I want to make sure I get the right one when it is available. It is this one correct?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202221

or is it this one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202222

I would like to get the rx 480 before the end of July, do you think stock will be back by then or shall I just go in a different direction?

Thanks for the help

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

UnhealthyJoe posted:

I missed the release of the card but I want to make sure I get the right one when it is available. It is this one correct?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202221

or is it this one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202222

I would like to get the rx 480 before the end of July, do you think stock will be back by then or shall I just go in a different direction?

Thanks for the help

The good ones are going to be neither of those, you're looking for ones with a different cooler and more than a single 6 pin power connector. They should definitely be launching before end of July, PowerColor's got a giveaway running for a card with a better cooler and power delivery and that ends on the eleventh.

poot
Apr 21, 2010
Hi folks, I need some comments on my upgrades:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cryorig H7
Motherboard: ASRock Z170 Pro 4 Motherboard
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory

I'm going to keep the graphics card and power supply from my old system, at least temporarily.
Graphics Card: ASUS Radeon HD 6950 2GB GDDR5
Power Supply: FSP Hyper 600W ATX 80+ Bronze
Monitor: Dell P2416D (2560 x 1440)

Does this seem like a reasonable setup? I'm mainly going to use it for gaming, and am looking at keeping the cost under 1000$. I live in Norway if that matters.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

What kind of games do you play? Your card is six years old at this point, and right now GPUs are by far the most important bottleneck when it comes to gaming.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
Yeah what CPU are you upgrading from?

poot
Apr 21, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

What kind of games do you play? Your card is six years old at this point, and right now GPUs are by far the most important bottleneck when it comes to gaming.

I haven't really been gaming much the last few years, but I am hoping to run Overwatch and Witcher 3 atleast.

poot
Apr 21, 2010

Bleh Maestro posted:

Yeah what CPU are you upgrading from?

I had an AMD Phenom II X4 955, but it fried together with my old power supply when I tried to play vermintide a few months back.

fufufuyen
Jul 2, 2016
What are you using the system for? Gaming (Overwatch primarily), digital drawing, and everyday stuff like Skype and Netflix.
What's your budget? $1,200
If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? Digital drawing software, streaming.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? 60 FPS, 1080p/1440p, high settings.

This is going to be my first build; I don't know too much about computers and I'm looking for any and all advice. What I've heard so far is that I should wait for the aftermarket RX 480 for my video card, that a stock CPU cooler will work for my build, and that I can get a 550W psu instead.

Thank you:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($197.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI H170A PC Mate ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($84.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: PNY Anarchy 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($54.99 @ Best Buy)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card ($299.99 @ B&H)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($47.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: EVGA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer ($17.88 @ OutletPC)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($29.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Other: Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64 Bit System Builder OEM | PC Disc ($85.95)
Other: YAMAKASI CATLEAP 2703 LED 27" 2560X1440 LG IPS DVI-D PC Monitor ($199.00)
Total: $1253.14
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-01 19:56 EDT-0400

fufufuyen fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jul 2, 2016

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

How long are power supplies usually good for? I bought a semi modular NZXT power supply in 2012 for my build, and I'm hoping to continue to use it when I get a new processor and mobo later this year. I haven't had any problems with it yet.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

Zotix posted:

How long are power supplies usually good for? I bought a semi modular NZXT power supply in 2012 for my build, and I'm hoping to continue to use it when I get a new processor and mobo later this year. I haven't had any problems with it yet.

It feels like a general rule for power supplies is that how long you should use them is equal to their warranty length. Warranty length and expected quality pretty much go hand in hand with PSU's from what I've seen.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Right now I'm running an i5 4570 (Haswell), 16GB DDR3 at 800mhz (DDR31600?? I don't understand this loving nomenclature anymore), and a 980ti. I find I get some frame drops even at mediocre settings in Elite: Dangerous while using the HTC Vive, and any frame dropping while using that thing is monstrous. I know my CPU is slightly below minspec for the Vive, so I was thinking of dropping in a replacement. Is anything that'll fit my current motherboard worth the money to upgrade to, or am I better off waiting until I can afford basically a new CPU, mobo and RAM (I'm just guessing on the RAM) for whatever the current generation is?

(edit) Side note, when I'm not using the Vive I'm playing games in 1440p and trying (usually failing) to reach 144hz for my monitor.

(edit) You know what here have the Speccy summary
pre:
Summary
		Operating System
			Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
		CPU
			Intel Core i5 4570 @ 3.20GHz	43 °C
			Haswell 22nm Technology
		RAM
			16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz (9-9-9-24)
		Motherboard
			ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. B85M-E (SOCKET 1150)	28 °C
		Graphics
			ROG PG278Q (2560x1440@144Hz)
			ASUS VS239 (1920x1080@60Hz)
			ASUS VS239 (1920x1080@60Hz)
			2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti (EVGA)	65 °C
		Storage
			223GB Corsair Force GT (SSD)	35 °C
			232GB Samsung SSD 840 Series (SSD)	33 °C
		Optical Drives
			No optical disk drives detected
		Audio
			Sound Blaster E1
Generated with Speccy v1.29.714
(edit) Even with the Vive proviso answer around the Internet still seems to be "no, save your dosh". True?

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jul 2, 2016

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Beautiful Ninja posted:

It feels like a general rule for power supplies is that how long you should use them is equal to their warranty length. Warranty length and expected quality pretty much go hand in hand with PSU's from what I've seen.

5 years, so maybe I'll buy a new one. When did EVGA jump to the top of recommendations on PSU?

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
Sorry for off topic sort of but haus of tech support is kind of slow and just have a quick question.

I forgot to grab some files off of my old computer can I just pop the hard drive (containing win7) into my new system and just read the data off it as a secondary drive? I'm 99% sure yes I just want to make sure before I gently caress something up.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

mystery at hog island posted:

What's your budget? My goal was to keep it under $1000. I'm willing to go $200 above that if I have a really good reason.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? I am aiming for 1080p at high settings for recent games. I'm upgrading from a 4 year old ThinkPad so I don't feel the need to go totally :krad:, but I may look to upgrade in 2-3 years.

CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS9900ALED Ball Bearing CPU Cooler ($39.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock Z170M Pro4S Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($59.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($274.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($75.88 @ Newegg)
Total: $989.20
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-01 14:47 EDT-0400

This is my first desktop since 2005 and I was completely lost when it came to current motherboards... also a bit paranoid I've overlooked some sort of devious compatibility. I'm not planning to overclock right out of the gate, but I'd like to have the option once I get a better understanding of just what I'm dealing with. I appreciate any feedback you can give. I'm really excited to play Shadow of Mordor and some other games I missed over the years. Thanks goons :)

Changed things a bit:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($43.53 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z170 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($110.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($62.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 480 8GB Video Card ($272.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($70.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1013.44
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-01 22:20 EDT-0400

1. I changed the cooler you chose, nothing against Zalman, I just don't know anything about them while I am familiar with the Cryorig H7. It'll cool around the same level as far more expensive units, but feel free to switch back to the Zalman if you trust that brand.
2. I changed you to a slightly more expensive ATX board (since you picked an ATX case, though the one you picked would fit inside the case you chose). This is the Pro4, not the Pro4S, so it's got a couple more features over the Pro4S. They don't make much of a difference though.
3. Changed the video card to the RX 480 8GB model. Now that the RX 480 is out, it's trades blows with the GTX 970, but at this point I'd look for the 970 to drop in price a bit more making it the better value, or for aftermarket cooler versions of the 480 to come out in the same price point which should make them the better value (as they'll likely perform better than the 970 at that point). The real value option here would be to pick up a used 970 on SA Mart or eBay.
4. Changed your PSU to an EVGA G2. The Corsair CX power supplies are largely recommended against as they apparently have a high failure rate.

It's a little bit more than the $1000 you set, but still well under the $1200 you said you could go up to. I'm sure someone else could probably make better recommendations, but I think this will pretty well have you covered.

Also, I excluded Superbiiz and OutletPC as they, according to AVeryLargeRadish, may not be entirely legitimate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

Variable_H posted:

Changed things a bit:

1. I changed the cooler you chose, nothing against Zalman, I just don't know anything about them while I am familiar with the Cryorig H7. It'll cool around the same level as far more expensive units, but feel free to switch back to the Zalman if you trust that brand.
2. I changed you to a slightly more expensive ATX board (since you picked an ATX case, though the one you picked would fit inside the case you chose). This is the Pro4, not the Pro4S, so it's got a couple more features over the Pro4S. They don't make much of a difference though.
3. Changed the video card to the RX 480 8GB model. Now that the RX 480 is out, it's trades blows with the GTX 970, but at this point I'd look for the 970 to drop in price a bit more making it the better value, or for aftermarket cooler versions of the 480 to come out in the same price point which should make them the better value (as they'll likely perform better than the 970 at that point). The real value option here would be to pick up a used 970 on SA Mart or eBay.
4. Changed your PSU to an EVGA G2. The Corsair CX power supplies are largely recommended against as they apparently have a high failure rate.

It's a little bit more than the $1000 you set, but still well under the $1200 you said you could go up to. I'm sure someone else could probably make better recommendations, but I think this will pretty well have you covered.

Also, I excluded Superbiiz and OutletPC as they, according to AVeryLargeRadish, may not be entirely legitimate.

Thank you! This is the exact kind of advice I was hoping to get.

I hadn't given much thought to the Radeon card due to my (admittedly silly) brand loyalty from the Geforce 2 I used in high school. It looks like it's time to lurk SA-Mart for a deal... or maybe wait for an aftermarket 480. Ahh, you've really given me something to think about here.