Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

I'm also shopping for a new monitor and it seems like the main knock against TN is for video playback. But if I don't really watch a lot of Netflix on my PC and just wanna game, is there a more practical difference?

the knock against TN is not video playback, it's that the colors are really bad and distort depending on the angle you look at it.

The viewing angle is bad enough that the bottom of the screen will have a different color signature from the top assuming you're sitting 12-24" from the screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

exquisite tea posted:

I'm also shopping for a new monitor and it seems like the main knock against TN is for video playback. But if I don't really watch a lot of Netflix on my PC and just wanna game, is there a more practical difference?

TN monitors just have bad color, contrast and low image quality in general, it affects pretty much every usage case of the monitor, games, movies, photos and even web browsing.

A TN monitor gave me neck problems because I was always moving my head around trying to get an angle where part of the screen wasn't completely washed out.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Okay welp, looks I'll just stick to IPS.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Did any interesting gaming monitors get announced recently (computex)? I am considering the 1440p 144Hz+ Asus IPS Gsync panels but will wait for the next big thing if it will probably be out this year.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Aquila posted:

Did any interesting gaming monitors get announced recently (computex)? I am considering the 1440p 144Hz+ Asus IPS Gsync panels but will wait for the next big thing if it will probably be out this year.

Nothing worth waiting around for no.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Aquila posted:

I mean, there is a 240hz monitor coming out soon

http://120hzmonitors.com/monitor-list-120hz-144hz-165hz-200hz-240hz/

Not sure if it has any noticeable difference over 144hz though

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mister Fister posted:

I mean, there is a 240hz monitor coming out soon

http://120hzmonitors.com/monitor-list-120hz-144hz-165hz-200hz-240hz/

Not sure if it has any noticeable difference over 144hz though

Only in very specific circumstances. I had an ex who had a 240hz CRT which she used to play LoL which really uh did not benefit at all. It's very trivial to see how good 144hz is but the difference between that and 240hz is far more subtle.

I mean, it's still there when you're looking at fast transversal speeds like projectiles moving fast from one side to the other but most of the time it's very subtle.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Etrips posted:

Nothing worth waiting around for no.

Thank you, looks like my choices are Asus PG279Q and Acer XB270HU still?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Aquila posted:

Thank you, looks like my choices are Asus PG279Q and Acer XB270HU still?

I would spring for the Acer XB271HU if you can spend the little extra.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

The XB271HU is usually cheaper than the PG279Q (here in Australia the difference is like $200), and is a better monitor with a newer panel revision. I seriously can't see any reason to buy the PG279Q unless you absolutely must have the ROG branding to match your ROG keyboard, mouse, motherboard, GPU, memory, headphones, USB sticks and mouse pad.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Etrips posted:

I would spring for the Acer XB271HU if you can spend the little extra.

Hmmm I think that's the one I meant, and it appears to cost about the same as the 165Hz Asus IPS. I seem to have an irrational dislike of Acer monitors, probably stemming from a job where they insisted on buying them as they were the cheapest of cheap at the time, so it's probably Asus PG279Q for me.

e: " is a better monitor with a newer panel revision" any more info on this? I was unaware of any revisions to either.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Aquila posted:

e: " is a better monitor with a newer panel revision" any more info on this? I was unaware of any revisions to either.

The story is that both the Asus and the Acer had bad quality control when they first came out. Dead/stuck pixels, debris stuck to the inside of the panel, backlight bleeding at the edges, that kind of thing. The new Acer seems to have cut down on those issues, according to the fact that fewer people make horrible internet posts complaining about it.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Does anyone have experience with Wasabi Mango monitors? I'm strongly considering the UHD 490 to replace my aging 720p projector for gaming/movie/entertainment purposes.

I don't need a smart TV or anything like that, and supporting 4k60 over HDMI 2.0/DP1.3 should keep it in good shape while I'm sticking to 1080p until video cards catch up.

TIA for the help!

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I thought the PG279Q and XB271HU used the same panel but learned today that they are actually slightly different:
XB271HU: AUO M270DAN02.6 http://www.panelook.com/M270DAN02.6_AUO_27.0_LCM_overview_27068.html
PG279Q: AUO M270Q008
XB270HU: AUO M270DAN02.3
S2716DG: AUO M270DTN01.5

One of the guys who posts about monitors everywhere says:

As an aside, I wish random people on the internet would state what brightness they use when evaluating backlight bleed and try to at least measure it in the range of 80-120 luminance. Knowing that a display has some perceptible backlight bleed at 100% brightness in a dark room isn't that practically meaningful, for me, at least.

E: also the dude in that overclocked.net thread ordered 5 xb271hu :eyepop:. He says the panels were consistent.

Check out this cool and good Fozzy Fosborne post about the XB271HU and the PG279Q. Most of the content in the post is quotes that haven't carried over with my quote, so click the link to their post for the full rundown.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

NewFatMike posted:

Does anyone have experience with Wasabi Mango monitors? I'm strongly considering the UHD 490 to replace my aging 720p projector for gaming/movie/entertainment purposes.

I don't need a smart TV or anything like that, and supporting 4k60 over HDMI 2.0/DP1.3 should keep it in good shape while I'm sticking to 1080p until video cards catch up.

TIA for the help!

All I know is a lot of the Wasabi models support FreeSync either out of the box or with a firmware update. So, consider Radeon cards as they'll smooth over any framerate drops if you do get them.

Also, compare the different models as they all source wildly different panels. A 42-inch model might be an LG IPS and a 40-inch model might be Samsung PLS, or whatever.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

I think it was Tek Syndicate that did a video review and really liked the model they got. It seems like a solid price for a big 4K, which is tricky to get from other sources, and Freesync is a nice bonus (IE, if you have a good radeon option it's a value add, but don't disqualify it if you don't).

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Zero VGS posted:

All I know is a lot of the Wasabi models support FreeSync either out of the box or with a firmware update. So, consider Radeon cards as they'll smooth over any framerate drops if you do get them.

Also, compare the different models as they all source wildly different panels. A 42-inch model might be an LG IPS and a 40-inch model might be Samsung PLS, or whatever.

Ah, good call! It looks like it uses an LG AH IPS panel, so it should be pretty good quality?

xthetenth posted:

I think it was Tek Syndicate that did a video review and really liked the model they got. It seems like a solid price for a big 4K, which is tricky to get from other sources, and Freesync is a nice bonus (IE, if you have a good radeon option it's a value add, but don't disqualify it if you don't).

FreeSync is definitely part of why I looked into those - I'm definitely a fan of being able to get into that later on when 4k becomes more within reach for plebs like me. Until then, I will happily take 1080p with FreeSync for buttery goodness. Even a 50% increase in resolution in half the screen size will still look really really good. I don't need all the Vizio smart TV features since I have a Chromecast and a receiver with 4k60 passthrough, although the lack of local dimming may be worth the tradeoff for lower response time (I will have to see if my receiver screws with that at all as well, but in that case I can likely just route audio out through it).

All that, and it's difficult to make use of the limited space in my apartment decorating around a giant projector setup when I can't get ceiling access (they're 15 feet up and violates my lease to drill into it anyway).

Thanks again!

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Anyone know any info on when Acer posts stuff on their Recertified site? Any plugins or ways to monitor the stock? I have the nowinstock.net alert, but I feel like that will be too slow.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

You could try the visualping or distill extensions for chrome

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Is there a significant benefit to getting a 144 Hz monitor if you plan to be playing games at 60 fps? I was looking at the Dell 1440p UP2716D monitor and the reviews were mentioning its 60 Hz refresh as a negative

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

fozzy fosbourne posted:

You could try the visualping or distill extensions for chrome

Thanks, setup both

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is there a significant benefit to getting a 144 Hz monitor if you plan to be playing games at 60 fps? I was looking at the Dell 1440p UP2716D monitor and the reviews were mentioning its 60 Hz refresh as a negative

Yes, first off not every game you play will run at 60 FPS, if you play something older and less demanding then the higher refresh will greatly benefit you. Everything else including desktop usage will be much smoother and just look better in general because of the higher refresh. Also you are more likely to keep the monitor around for a long time and upgrade the video card more often, so when you have a better video card a few years down the line you will see some really nice benefits from the higher refresh rate.

LeninVS
Nov 8, 2011

LeninVS posted:

The x34 predator is going for about 1900$ in Canada these days.
A guy on kijiji is selling his for 1100$. Manufactured in Sept 2015.

This seems like a great deal, but I'm afraid to take the deal due to the quality issues iv read about on these forums.
I guess I could always try and resell it myself if it had issues.

Can anyone tip the scales in a direction for me?

I ended up purchasing this.

Everything seems great, except when I plug in with display port, sometimes I get no sync.
When it is working, and I try to run the monitor at >60hz it also loses sync.

Hopefully its just an issue with my old 970 or with the cable that I have. Its not the one that came with this monitor.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

LeninVS posted:

I ended up purchasing this.

Everything seems great, except when I plug in with display port, sometimes I get no sync.
When it is working, and I try to run the monitor at >60hz it also loses sync.

Hopefully its just an issue with my old 970 or with the cable that I have. Its not the one that came with this monitor.

Yeah, try it with the cable that came with the monitor. I think they come with bizlink vesa certified dp cables. Which, as I understand it, are the same cables as the Acell branded cables you can find at online shopping places. The length of the cable can be a factor, too. Longer than 3m, you are likely to have issues (and frankly I speculate 3m might be hit and miss at max bandwidth for dp 1.2)

LeninVS
Nov 8, 2011

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Yeah, try it with the cable that came with the monitor. I think they come with bizlink vesa certified dp cables. Which, as I understand it, are the same cables as the Acell branded cables you can find at online shopping places. The length of the cable can be a factor, too. Longer than 3m, you are likely to have issues (and frankly I speculate 3m might be hit and miss at max bandwidth for dp 1.2)

The guy I got the monitor from did not give me the cable that it came with.
I purchased a acell brand cable on amazon.ca yesterday, hopefully that does the trick.

Melraidin
Oct 11, 2005
How's 430 $ Canadian for an LG 27" IPS monitor (lg-27ud58-b)? http://www.ncix.com/detail/lg-27ud58-b-27in-ultra-hd-34-133214.htm

I'd like a minimum of a 27" IPS monitor. Ideally I'd go a bit larger but I do want at least 1440px vertical resolution. Freesync and all really don't matter to me much at this point. I'll likely need to upgrade my graphics card no matter what, right now on an Nvidia GTX 560 Ti so could use a bit of a bump.

Any recommendations that keep costs down while still giving me the screen space, resolution, and IPS display I'd like? Or arguments against what I think I want?

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
I'm looking for a monitor for my friend, and was hoping the thread had some advice. She's a digital artist who plays some games (mostly World of Warcraft) and looking for something under $300 CAD.

The main things she's concerned about are good colors (obviously) and anything that might lessen eye strain since she spends a lot of time staring at the screen while she works.

So other than IPS (obviously), what else should I be looking for?

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Nemo2342 posted:

I'm looking for a monitor for my friend, and was hoping the thread had some advice. She's a digital artist who plays some games (mostly World of Warcraft) and looking for something under $300 CAD.

The main things she's concerned about are good colors (obviously) and anything that might lessen eye strain since she spends a lot of time staring at the screen while she works.

So other than IPS (obviously), what else should I be looking for?

Flicker-free backlighting and maybe a stand with adjustable height.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Yes, first off not every game you play will run at 60 FPS, if you play something older and less demanding then the higher refresh will greatly benefit you.

It works the other way around, too. If you play something demanding, and it doesn't hit 60 fps, the stutter or tearing will be less than half on a 144Hz monitor when compared to a 60 Hz one. (And that is *without* Freesync/Gsync etc)

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000
In the market for a 27" 1440p 144Hz monitor. Looks like the two main options are the Acer XB271HU and Asus PG279Q. Both of which have quality control issues related to backlight bleeding, Asus probably being worse. Does that pretty much sum it up?

I'm really not into the design of the Acer XB271HU. Is it much better than the previous gen XB270HU?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Melraidin posted:

How's 430 $ Canadian for an LG 27" IPS monitor (lg-27ud58-b)? http://www.ncix.com/detail/lg-27ud58-b-27in-ultra-hd-34-133214.htm

I'd like a minimum of a 27" IPS monitor. Ideally I'd go a bit larger but I do want at least 1440px vertical resolution. Freesync and all really don't matter to me much at this point. I'll likely need to upgrade my graphics card no matter what, right now on an Nvidia GTX 560 Ti so could use a bit of a bump.

Any recommendations that keep costs down while still giving me the screen space, resolution, and IPS display I'd like? Or arguments against what I think I want?

I'm using an LG 27UD68 and am generally pleased with it.

Picture looks good, colours are great out of the box and the ag coating is subtle but still works (can't stand using glossy screens). On the downside black levels are pretty average, there is a bunch of glow and some bleed visible in a completely dark room (typical of cheaper IPS screens in my experience and better than my old Dell U2412s).

The stand sucks compared to the Dell - no height adjustment and it's kinda wobbly so I'll get an arm for it eventually. Bezels are tiny which makes it barely larger overall than the old 24" Dells (and because I went from two screens to one the desk is way less cluttered). Has an external power brick which I don't like but I guess is typical these days. Also the included DisplayPort cable died within a week which made me thing I had a faulty unit - first it stopped working at 4k 60Hz, then 4k at all, then at any resolution. Caused much head scratching before I thought to borrow a replacement from work.

BTW I don't think you can get it working at 4k with your current graphics card (certainly not at 60Hz and 30 is just bad even on the desktop) so check that before buying

dissss fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Jul 1, 2016

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Is there a 27"-32" 4k IPS GLOSSY monitor out there somewhere?

I see there are plenty of 27" 4k monitors with anti-glare coating. But I don't want AG coating at all. After using a 27" 1440p glossy IPS for so long, anything with AG coating just looks grainy to me.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

stevewm posted:

Is there a 27"-32" 4k IPS GLOSSY monitor out there somewhere?

I see there are plenty of 27" 4k monitors with anti-glare coating. But I don't want AG coating at all. After using a 27" 1440p glossy IPS for so long, anything with AG coating just looks grainy to me.

If you absolutely had to, you can remove the AG yourself, there's YouTube guides on it. Just put a damp paper towel against it and keep dampening it for a few hours and the AG will peel right off from a corner.

I've done it and what's underneath will scratch easily (no hardness coating) but otherwise it works.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

If you absolutely had to, you can remove the AG yourself, there's YouTube guides on it. Just put a damp paper towel against it and keep dampening it for a few hours and the AG will peel right off from a corner.

I've done it and what's underneath will scratch easily (no hardness coating) but otherwise it works.

I thought about that on my UM2412, but at least some people have discovered on some monitors the AG coating is actually structurally part of the polarizer. After removing the AG film, the polarizer starts developing hairline cracks,

There are a ton of non-antiglare 1440p monitors. Why no 4k non-AG? :(

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

For what it's worth, I think the AG coating on the xb271hu is pretty good. Since I've seen much worse examples in the past, I wonder if AG coating has simply gotten a bit better. For reference I do a lot of work on apple cinema displays and a 5k retina iMac and I honestly haven't thought much about the difference until now.

This guy seems to pay close attention to the coatings of displays, so maybe check out some of his reviews:
http://wecravegamestoo.com/forums/m...tml#post1359166

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Refurbed XB271HU are still available through Acer on ebay and Amazon right now. 19 total.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Acer-27-Pre...sid=p5731.m3795

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H22AGQ6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2WEQERLWJ42N3

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Oh hell yeah, been waiting for the refurbs to come back in stock. Thanks for the info.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

fozzy fosbourne posted:

For what it's worth, I think the AG coating on the xb271hu is pretty good.
Same. It's a bit lighter than the U2412M that I came from, but I don't see any reflections or any distortions. For me it's perfectly balanced.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Oh yeah, just remembered. Last week I was complaining about the XB271's power LED brightness. There's an OSD option to turn it off after a few seconds, I just didn't see it. Too bad I already sharpied it. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

NewFatMike posted:

Ah, good call! It looks like it uses an LG AH IPS panel, so it should be pretty good quality?

FreeSync is definitely part of why I looked into those - I'm definitely a fan of being able to get into that later on when 4k becomes more within reach for plebs like me. Until then, I will happily take 1080p with FreeSync for buttery goodness. Even a 50% increase in resolution in half the screen size will still look really really good. I don't need all the Vizio smart TV features since I have a Chromecast and a receiver with 4k60 passthrough, although the lack of local dimming may be worth the tradeoff for lower response time (I will have to see if my receiver screws with that at all as well, but in that case I can likely just route audio out through it).

All that, and it's difficult to make use of the limited space in my apartment decorating around a giant projector setup when I can't get ceiling access (they're 15 feet up and violates my lease to drill into it anyway).

Thanks again!

Post an update if you end up with one! I've been keeping an eye on the Wasabi Mango (what a name, somebody should make Burger Apple pie monitors) for their big size and low cost. Which is also incidentally how I introduce myself to the ladies.

Unfortunately they do seem to be using LG IPS panels in the 43" and 49" and Samsung PVA in the 40", which is of course the one that I want since I'll be using it as a monitor on my desk and not a TV. How's PVA nowadays though? I remember these panels being a good option back in the day but have no idea how they evolved recently.

Unrelated to this, what's the situation with HDR? Manufacturers seem to be starting pushing this in TVs to be used with HDR blurays but I haven't heard anything on the PC front since AMD was making some noises about the stuff a year ago.