Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snostorm
Sep 9, 2013

mormonpartyboat posted:

when is blizzard going to add a crafting system and player housing

I'm looking forward to a dance studio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
In my opinion you either play a hero that gets you a lot of gold medals or you just play what hero your team needs and then probably win games. Who gives a gently caress how many medals you get, it's relative.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

mormonpartyboat posted:

it does, to an extent. i did all 10 of my ranked matches with some friends, and we ended the placement matches with a like 6 rank spread between us

That was because you all started with different MMRs

Like the other guy said its a real complicated system

redweird posted:

In my opinion you either play a hero that gets you a lot of gold medals or you just play what hero your team needs and then probably win games. Who gives a gently caress how many medals you get, it's relative.

Some of us get gold medals because we're good at video games and not because we're hunting for gold medals

What happens is if you join another team of pugs, your win/loss is set up so its about 50% across the entire team, and the entire opposing team, so the chance you'll win the next game is always around 50%.

So if you are on a win streak, then you gradually get placed with teammates who are progressively worse to balance out your amazing 55% win rate

Until you drop down back to 50

It's brilliantly designed to make sure people don't think the game is too hard because some players are just better at FPS than others

But the game is designed to make sure that if you are on a team that doesnt cooperate, you'll lose to the other team that does

I wish there was a cooperation rating so I could get placed with those guys instead every time, would be way more fun (even if we lose!)

Here is me whining cause I hate losing FPS games :angel:

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
six mercys is the new meta

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

mormonpartyboat posted:

six mercys is the new meta

I'm honestly surprised I don't come across any teams running two mercys. I mean a second rez has to be better than just a single rez right? RIGHT?????

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

hhhat posted:

What happens is if you join another team of pugs, your win/loss is set up so its about 50% across the entire team, and the entire opposing team, so the chance you'll win the next game is always around 50%.

So if you are on a win streak, then you gradually get placed with teammates who are progressively worse to balance out your amazing 55% win rate

i can't tell which posts are real any more

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Win games go up in rank lose games go down, it doesn't need to,shouldn't be more complicated.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i can't tell which posts are real any more

That guy is 100% serious and wants more XP cause Muh Medals

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Duck and Cover posted:

Win games go up in rank lose games go down, it doesn't need to,shouldn't be more complicated.

there should be a second, wholly separate rating that says how good you are in spite of your team, and that should only go up as you play

maybe make it progressively harder to get later rankups but at 100 you can prestige back to rank 1

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

hhhat posted:

Until you drop down back to 50

It's brilliantly designed to make sure people don't think the game is too hard because some players are just better at FPS than others

But the game is designed to make sure that if you are on a team that doesnt cooperate, you'll lose to the other team that does

the enforced 50% winrate meme

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

nerve posted:

That guy is 100% serious and wants more XP cause Muh Medals

I don't think it's even "more XP" it's more that he's simultaneously saying that he should be able to act like a big fish in a little pond because he's above average at shoot mans, but also that matchmaking is broken for putting bad players on his team the more he wins

like there are at least two completely separate misconceptions in there about how matchmaking works and why it's needed

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

*I put on my mitre and dust off a sermon on MMR Hell*

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I don't think it's even "more XP" it's more that he's simultaneously saying that he should be able to act like a big fish in a little pond because he's above average at shoot mans, but also that matchmaking is broken for putting bad players on his team the more he wins

like there are at least two completely separate misconceptions in there about how matchmaking works and why it's needed

Yep

I'd rather be placed with, and against, other players of similar skill, so if I continue to lose as many as I win it's because they're good matchups, and not because my teammates suck enough to pull me down

I'm pretty sure this is not the case, because the more I win, the worse my teammates get, and vice versa. After a losing streak suddenly I'm given competent players to play with.

I'm guessing the 50% winrate is a meme because it's accurate? Or am I just bad at Overwatch and most of you are around 80% or something? (don't say yes if you aren't solo queueing. I'm talking about solo queueing.)

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
We're all going to feel dumb in six weeks when the season ends and the only benefit to getting high rank is like, a tiered system of Comp Point rewards. It's going to be

Rank 1–30: 20 CP
Rank 31–50: 25 CP
Rank 51–70: 30 CP
Rank 71–100: 35 CP

You're eventually going to reach a point in Ranked where you maintain a 50% winrate anyway. It's basically just Quickplay where every 1200 games played you get a gun.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

hhhat posted:

Yep

I'd rather be placed with, and against, other players of similar skill, so if I continue to lose as many as I win it's because they're good matchups, and not because my teammates suck enough to pull me down

I'm pretty sure this is not the case, because the more I win, the worse my teammates get, and vice versa. After a losing streak suddenly I'm given competent players to play with.

I'm guessing the 50% winrate is a meme because it's accurate? Or am I just bad at Overwatch and most of you are around 80% or something? (don't say yes if you aren't solo queueing. I'm talking about solo queueing.)

your teammates do not get worse as you get better, you're just not very good at judging how well they're doing

(although in fairness the game and the medal system are deliberately designed to obscure it because blizzard doesn't trust players to use that information constructively)

the win-rate statistic is a by-product of matchmaking, not the basis of matchmaking; you will trend towards 50% because that's what happens when you play equally skilled opponents

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

There are few moments in video gaming quite so magical as when you find yourself directly behind the entire enemy team as a Bastion.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Huxley posted:

We're all going to feel dumb in six weeks when the season ends and the only benefit to getting high rank is like, a tiered system of Comp Point rewards. It's going to be

You're eventually going to reach a point in Ranked where you maintain a 50% winrate anyway. It's basically just Quickplay where every 1200 games played you get a gun.

I'd rather a hard loss spent fighting just move the payload againat competent defenders than one where your teammates spent the round avoiding the payload and shooting pointlessly from around the corner without actually advancing.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

(although in fairness the game and the medal system are deliberately designed to obscure it because blizzard doesn't trust players to use that information constructively)

Blizzard is correct.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Huxley posted:

That's the problem! Your rating is based off your winrate instead of your skill. Which means it doesn't matter how skilled you are because the system is actively trying to give you a 50% win rate.

The problem with this is that skilled, non-pro players are stuck in the 45-55rank zone where the majority of non-skilled players exist.

It's really only an issue for competitive players who don't have a team. For those players it feels like utter dogshit when you get four golds every match as well as lose because the game doesn't want you to escape the middle of the bell curve.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS

Huxley posted:

I really hope we get more than 20-30 CP at the end of the season

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

your teammates do not get worse as you get better, you're just not very good at judging how well they're doing

the win-rate statistic is a by-product of matchmaking, not the basis of matchmaking; you will trend towards 50% because that's what happens when you play equally skilled opponents

Remove the medal system until the end of the game because people (myself included) use it as a makeshift scoreboard, but only it's judging you against your team and not considering the other team. It's rather frustrating to see you're leading objective time with 0:10 on the gold medal.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I just thought about this another way

Assuming I'm playing against equally skilled players, and given equally skilled players as teammates, and I win, then eventually the game considers me 'better' by whatever internal ranking system exists

Therefore I get placed against slightly better skilled players, and i'm given slightly better skilled players as teammates

But I'm not as good as they are, so I bring the team down, and we lose, and then the game corrects itself

But if I lose a few, then I get placed against worse enemies, with worse teammates, and in theory I bring them up and we win

So either a) I improve, and I play better, but I will still get placed against equal-ish players, so the effect will be still 50% win rate
or b) I get worse, and play worse, and still 50% win rate

I'm not used to this, every other game since the dawn of time I've won just outright most of the games. I guess I'm annoyed that Overwatch just gave me a 'you're just average' rating for competitive, and the placement seemed heavily reliant on my teammates' performances. I don't know what that means for competitive, but for quick play, losing half the drat games I play is a new experience for me. This is not bragging, it's just irritating. I was fine with that in StarCraft, because frankly I suck at games like that. Losing in OW irritates the poo poo out of me, it's like playing HOTS except I can do even less to change the outcome when the team is struggling, because there's just one objective and unlike a MOBA there's nothing else you can really do outside of go after the objective.

Maybe someone who's further into competitive can tell me how it's going. It seems like it's just quick play with a more even way to determine the winner (I really like the way it determines the winner).

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
did you know you can have a near 50% winrate at low, average, or high mmr

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
My point was that once you settle in, you're going to be getting the same number of CP at rank 40 as you will at rank 60. You're going to win every other game and get one point each.

Even if it's 1 CP per rank at the end, the guy who plays 200 games at rank 40 is going to get 140 CP and the guy who plays 200 games at rank 60 is going to get 160.

Ranked should produce more try-hard games because of that 1 CP, and that should be the real draw of playing ranked. It encourages everyone to be a little more serious, hopefully producing better games at whatever rank you end up settled in at.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Thor-Stryker posted:

That's the problem! Your rating is based off your winrate instead of your skill. Which means it doesn't matter how skilled you are because the system is actively trying to give you a 50% win rate.

The problem with this is that skilled, non-pro players are stuck in the 45-55rank zone where the majority of non-skilled players exist.

It's really only an issue for competitive players who don't have a team. For those players it feels like utter dogshit when you get four golds every match as well as lose because the game doesn't want you to escape the middle of the bell curve.

Rating is based off of your MMR ranking. Matchmaking is done by making the two teams have as much of a similar combined MMR as possible. If you win your MMR goes up and your rating goes up.

If you think you're at a deficit because you get matched with lovely players then the MMR will still balance out because the MMR the game thinks you have is lower than your real MMR (in your heart). Both teams will have the same MMR but one team (the one with you on it) will have a player who is actually better than the rest, so they should win, and then your MMR increases.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

hhhat posted:

Yep

If you were doing as well as you say you are then you'd be getting invited into groups to carry them. If you're constantly blaming your team for losing then lead them and don't just spew venom at them. Your posts frankly make you sound toxic as hell. I'm running a 65% win rate with most of my wins in solo queue, and the groups that I'm playing and winning with were just guys that picked me up from the solo queue because I was a good team player who didn't make them want the avoid tool reimplemented.

If you're just venting in the forum and you're a gung ho team player in game then good on you, but if you're doing well then you will continue to go up. If you're settled at an mmr and can't escape it then start working on your technique and/or working on your attitude and making some friends.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Spanish Manlove posted:

Remove the medal system until the end of the game because people (myself included) use it as a makeshift scoreboard, but only it's judging you against your team and not considering the other team. It's rather frustrating to see you're leading objective time with 0:10 on the gold medal.

Nah that's actually really useful information

I mean it might tell you 'gently caress it you're going to be losing this game'

but it's still useful to know if you're leading in healing as soldier despite the fact that mercy is somewhere, or that your objective time is the best despite you being Bastian, or that you're kicking some serious rear end and you don't have a medal in eliminations (meaning your team is crushing it)

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

hhhat posted:

Yep

your teammates don't get worse the better you do, you just notice the games where your team is garbage more than the games where your team carried you

and the 50% win rate thing is a meme because of a common misunderstanding of how match making systems work. Your win rate is not taken into account when putting teams together, all the system tries to do is make a game where each team has as close to 50% chance of winning as possible. Over time this ends up giving most players an effective 50% winrate, but that's just a byproduct of the system working effectively

Scrub-Niggurath fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jul 1, 2016

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

hhhat posted:

Nah that's actually really useful information

I mean it might tell you 'gently caress it you're going to be losing this game'

but it's still useful to know if you're leading in healing as soldier despite the fact that mercy is somewhere, or that your objective time is the best despite you being Bastian, or that you're kicking some serious rear end and you don't have a medal in eliminations (meaning your team is crushing it)

That is not useful, it's detrimental and only causes strife.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
If you're not a baby it tells you when you're underperforming and need to consider changing your strategy.

FatSamurai
Jul 7, 2004

Seethe, ye rolling clouds, gather thy stormborn might, and SMITE MINE ENEMY WITH THY UNFETTERED FURY!!!
A solid 49 placement today, and my second to last match was a Hanamura where we couldn't control either point and lost in about three minutes, then couldn't get past the doors while attacking. :toot:

I was honestly expecting something in the 30s so I'm stoked to be average.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I'm just curious about how much the bell curve will smooth out as the sample size increases and if Blizzard will be transparent with how many people fall into each percentile (they won't).

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
The funniest messages in chat are when someone complains about no one playing support

Uh, guess what, guy? You can play support

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I don't know why eliminations is even a medal.

Objective kills, objective time and healing done are the only three medals that are worth a drat.

Damage done is worthless as that counts all the times you stayed glued to Reinhardt's shield while the rest of his team snuck around the back and murdered yours, and eliminations is pointless. I can easily get 30+ eliminations but not actually contribute anything to the objective.

Make objective kills, objective time, healing time and damage blocked the only medals, having gold in them will substantially improve your chances of gaining more rank, suddenly people play the objective.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
The problem with medals as a signal for rank increase/decrease is that it's entirely possible to be actively contributing to the game without getting one. (For example, tank shields don't count toward any of them.)

Good Will Hrunting posted:

I'm just curious about how much the bell curve will smooth out as the sample size increases and if Blizzard will be transparent with how many people fall into each percentile (they won't).
My suspicion is that the ranked curve will always be a bit skewed toward the top (and may get slightly more so over time until Blizzard re-normalizes ranks the way they've had to do a couple times with SC2). Players at lower skill ranks are more likely to just go back to quick play or stop playing entirely.

Incoherence fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jul 1, 2016

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Commoners posted:

If you were doing as well as you say you are then you'd be getting invited into groups to carry them. If you're constantly blaming your team for losing then lead them and don't just spew venom at them. Your posts frankly make you sound toxic as hell. I'm running a 65% win rate with most of my wins in solo queue, and the groups that I'm playing and winning with were just guys that picked me up from the solo queue because I was a good team player who didn't make them want the avoid tool reimplemented.

If you're just venting in the forum and you're a gung ho team player in game then good on you, but if you're doing well then you will continue to go up. If you're settled at an mmr and can't escape it then start working on your technique and/or working on your attitude and making some friends.

nah I'm friendly and sure I get invited to groups, but I play in odd hours when I can because life intervenes. I'm not toxic unless you want to fight about what is and is not barbecue.

As for my technique, it isn't really gonna change, I mean i'll get better with the game but I've been playing FPS online since Doom. Like, as in, the original one. So I'm sure I hit my peak already :corsair:

Again, it's just ranting. I love the game, but this is a new thing for me. Every other game, it was, find a server, join, dominate. This game is like 'here's some players that are just as good lol' and sure I enjoy a challenge but my old fallback of joining a server and wrecking everyone's poo poo to relax on a weeknight has been replaced with getting in a queued game and struggling to see daylight sometimes. I've even Alt-f4'd the game in disgust (after the round's over, mind you).

piratepilates posted:

Rating is based off of your MMR ranking. Matchmaking is done by making the two teams have as much of a similar combined MMR as possible. If you win your MMR goes up and your rating goes up.

If you think you're at a deficit because you get matched with lovely players then the MMR will still balance out because the MMR the game thinks you have is lower than your real MMR (in your heart). Both teams will have the same MMR but one team (the one with you on it) will have a player who is actually better than the rest, so they should win, and then your MMR increases.

I think the math checks out though, if MMRs are designed to be averaged out to the same on both teams, then if you're the better player (and I have no idea that I actually am anymore) then that means you get placed with worse players. Until your MMR goes down, and then you get placed with better players. Ssystem would be designed to keep everyone on the fat part of the bell curve if that's the case. Am I wrong?

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

your teammates don't get worse the better you do, you just notice the games where your team is garbage more than the games where your team carried you

and the 50% win rate thing is a meme because of a common misunderstanding of how match making systems work. Your win rate is not taken into account when putting teams together, all the system tries to do is make a game where each team has as close to 50% chance of winning as possible. Over time this ends up giving most players an effective 50% winrate, but that's just a byproduct of the system working effectively

Yeah I get it. I just don't want a 50% win rate. This is me whining. I'm aware I'm whining. I guess I'm realizing OW might have a downside and that's sucky, considering how absolutely fun the game is to play. I can't possibly be the only one here who's used to just blowing everyone's poo poo up on FPS servers?

Brosnan posted:

If you're not a baby it tells you when you're underperforming and need to consider changing your strategy.

Also true. If I am sitting on a equal amount of deaths and eliminations at the start of the match that's a sure sign I need to change heroes immediately.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

nickhimself posted:

The funniest messages in chat are when someone complains about no one playing support

When a dude goes "someone should be a healer" I always respond with "thanks for volunteering"

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

nickhimself posted:

Though sometimes that person complaining is the only one playing a tank, and them switching to support instead of one of the 4 Genji/Hanzo/Widow/Tracers is just solving one problem by creating another.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Andrast posted:

Blizzard is correct.

they are correct, i just disagree with what they did with their conclusions

in my opinion if anyone is using the system to legitimately track their own progress as a player, to shore up their own weaknesses and exploit the opponent's, or to gather statistics and study the game, that is more important and valuable than social engineering a community that's still going to be 90% uncommunicative and 10% hostile and rude anyways

hhhat posted:

So either a) I improve, and I play better, but I will still get placed against equal-ish players, so the effect will be still 50% win rate
or b) I get worse, and play worse, and still 50% win rate

I'm not used to this, every other game since the dawn of time I've won just outright most of the games. I guess I'm annoyed that Overwatch just gave me a 'you're just average' rating for competitive, and the placement seemed heavily reliant on my teammates' performances. I don't know what that means for competitive, but for quick play, losing half the drat games I play is a new experience for me. This is not bragging, it's just irritating. I was fine with that in StarCraft, because frankly I suck at games like that. Losing in OW irritates the poo poo out of me, it's like playing HOTS except I can do even less to change the outcome when the team is struggling, because there's just one objective and unlike a MOBA there's nothing else you can really do outside of go after the objective.

for what it's worth i honestly think it's commendable that you have the self-knowledge to adjust to the idea this quickly

Thor-Stryker posted:

read this and understand it: http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Madness_Incarnate/The_Mathematics_and_Psychology_behind_%22Elo_Hell%22

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Incoherence posted:

My suspicion is that the ranked curve will always be a bit skewed toward the top (and may get slightly more so over time until Blizzard re-normalizes ranks the way they've had to do a couple times with SC2). Players at lower skill ranks are more likely to just go back to quick play or stop playing entirely.

Interesting. Can you explain what you mean by renormalizes? I'm new to competitive stuff and have no idea what that entails.