Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hhhat posted:

Yeah I get it. I just don't want a 50% win rate. This is me whining. I'm aware I'm whining. I guess I'm realizing OW might have a downside and that's sucky, considering how absolutely fun the game is to play. I can't possibly be the only one here who's used to just blowing everyone's poo poo up on FPS servers?

If you want to blow everyone then get on the actual top end where you absolutely can't have 50% win rate no matter how much the system tries to balance the MMR since there's no way to do it proper.

Otherwise having an unbalanced match on purpose really sucks when you're on the receiving end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

nickhimself posted:

I really hope we get more than 20-30 CP at the end of the season

They couldn't make it much more than that or else it would stop incentivizing you to actually play comp matches beyond the initial placement matches.

Zoness posted:

did you know you can have a near 50% winrate at low, average, or high mmr

I'm not sure how true that is. The way the system is set up, it seems very rare that there would be someone who plays well enough while losing to buffer their MMR against losses like that. Sure if by "high" you mean like 55, but I think people in the 60s and up will pretty much require win rates well over 50%.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Spanish Manlove posted:

When a dude goes "someone should be a healer" I always respond with "thanks for volunteering"
Best is when i'm the only tank as Reinhardt or Zarya (which we'd probably lose even faster if I switched, and I still often have most damage/obj time/obj kills) and we have reaper/hanzo/genji/mcree/tracer (or minor variations/doubling up on those) and they go "we need a healer!!". I have no problem switching to healer but then we never have a loving tank so it'd be even worse. God drat I've had some really lovely games last night.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Xaris posted:

Best is when i'm the only tank as Reinhardt or Zarya (which we'd probably lose even faster if I switched, and I still often have most damage/obj time/obj kills) and we have reaper/hanzo/genji/mcree/tracer (or minor variations/doubling up on those) and they go "we need a healer!!". God drat I've had some really lovely games last night.

There should only be two of those team comp tips during selection: "too many snipers" and "too many flankers"

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Papercut posted:

I'm not sure how true that is. The way the system is set up, it seems very rare that there would be someone who plays well enough while losing to buffer their MMR against losses like that. Sure if by "high" you mean like 55, but I think people in the 60s and up will pretty much require win rates well over 50%.

Nah. It's a recently released, heavily advertised Blizzard game. There are something like 7 million Overwatch players (going by a quick Google search) meaning that even the 90th or 95th percentile players still have a pool of hundreds of thousands.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

hhhat posted:

I think the math checks out though, if MMRs are designed to be averaged out to the same on both teams, then if you're the better player (and I have no idea that I actually am anymore) then that means you get placed with worse players. Until your MMR goes down, and then you get placed with better players. Ssystem would be designed to keep everyone on the fat part of the bell curve if that's the case. Am I wrong?

Don't think of it as better player stuck with worse players. Players in the matchmaking queue are picked and placed on teams in a way that tries to ensure the two teams have the same combined MMR. Teams will have players with MMRs higher than the rest of the team, and players with MMRs lower than the rest of the team, unless everyone on the team manages to have exactly the same MMR.

The matchmaking isn't designed to make everyone average, it just tries to record how people fit in skill-wise. Most players will probably be average (the 50th percentile of the curve) and some (but less) will be better or lower. If you win a bunch of games and your MMR goes up, but overestimates your ability then you could lose games because the "Real Ability MMRs" will be weighted towards one team, but keep in mind this isn't probably a big pendulum swing and that a team with a higher MMR will not be guaranteed to win but just have a higher chance. Also as time goes on the accuracy of the matchmaking should get better and better.

edit: some Quake Live servers have Elo set up and you can see the Elo and how it works, you get a good understanding of how it all works by playing a bunch of it (although there's no matchmaking, only a server browser).

Spanish Manlove posted:

When a dude goes "someone should be a healer" I always respond with "thanks for volunteering"

Oh you got him bro :c00l:

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 1, 2016

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Papercut posted:

There should only be two of those team comp tips during selection: "too many snipers" and "too many flankers"

Definitely needs more:

"You guys don't have a Reinhardt/Winton for KotH, good luck!"
"Kind of odd to have 6 DPS and no healing, dontcha think?"
"More Widows"
"You should consider taking a break after you play Hanzo this round"

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Interesting. Can you explain what you mean by renormalizes? I'm new to competitive stuff and have no idea what that entails.
Lower-skilled players are less likely to play ranked modes: a season-based format like Overwatch or SC2 exacerbates this because you're less likely to come back for the next season if you know your rank is low. So right off the bat, the average MMR value is higher in the ranked mode than the unranked mode (assuming Blizzard seeds ranked MMR with either the unranked MMR or previous seasons' ranked MMR, which I'm pretty sure they do).

Over time, this starts to do weird things to the MMR value -> rank mapping that Blizzard put in place. If they want to keep rank 50 as the midpoint, then they'll need to adjust the MMR that rank 50 corresponds to (which will mean, in some sense, that people start to "lose" ranks between seasons if they don't improve in skill).

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Papercut posted:

Pretty much. I've actually stopped playing Reinhardt as much as I used to when I first started playing, because we always have too many "flankers" who end up floundering around doing nothing useful with my shield anyways. So now I pretty much have just spent 90% of my time as Zarya in hopes that maybe I can help lead the team to some victory :smith:

....It hasn't worked very well past couple nights.

I should probably go back to just playing Junkrat 24/7 so even when we lose by a landslide I can at least ride the landslide in the air lobbing poo poo around laughing like a madman.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Incoherence posted:

Lower-skilled players are less likely to play ranked modes: a season-based format like Overwatch or SC2 exacerbates this because you're less likely to come back for the next season if you know your rank is low. So right off the bat, the average MMR value is higher in the ranked mode than the unranked mode (assuming Blizzard seeds ranked MMR with either the unranked MMR or previous seasons' ranked MMR, which I'm pretty sure they do).

Over time, this starts to do weird things to the MMR value -> rank mapping that Blizzard put in place. If they want to keep rank 50 as the midpoint, then they'll need to adjust the MMR that rank 50 corresponds to (which will mean, in some sense, that people start to "lose" ranks between seasons if they don't improve in skill).

Makes sense. Thanks, I look forward to being even further below average next season!

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

I'm just curious about how much the bell curve will smooth out as the sample size increases and if Blizzard will be transparent with how many people fall into each percentile (they won't).

http://masteroverwatch.com/leaderboards/pc/us (at the top)

I'm betting that's pretty close to accurate as far as the full population bell curve.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Had a weird bug last night playing tracer where i went 5 kills/2 deaths, and it stayed that way the entire match (This was quick play). Didn't matter if i had more kills or deaths, the number wouldn't budge.

Weird.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Mister Fister posted:

Had a weird bug last night playing tracer where i went 5 kills/2 deaths, and it stayed that way the entire match (This was quick play). Didn't matter if i had more kills or deaths, the number wouldn't budge.

Weird.

I got this yesterday too while playing McCree. My damage locked at like 500 damage. I didn't notice at first, so about half way into the match I looked at the scoreboard and I had gold with 1 elim and 500 damage.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

NTRabbit posted:

Though sometimes that person complaining is the only one playing a tank, and them switching to support instead of one of the 4 Genji/Hanzo/Widow/Tracers is just solving one problem by creating another.

A tank or a Symmetra or a tank buster or something else vital that your third Genji isn't going to solve.

"Looks like you volunteered" tends to put snark value above what the team actually needs.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
let's be honest most of the time if you need to switch into a better comp you're already boned

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Incoherence posted:

I don't know man, I've never seen this being true in any game I played competitively. My Bronze/Silver friends are the only ones who actually play LoL to this day even though they remain in the same place for 5-6 years and don't even get the Gold skin. Speaking of which the ranked pool is the same and has been the same for 3 years even though the game has already peaked and is declining - 800k solo queue players in my region.

I think low ranked people only stop playing if the game offers absolutely no incentive or reward for them to play. Few people played WoW Arena for example because it was mostly pointless. But I don't think that was tied to any skill level. Everyone except at the top and bottom is likely to have a 50% win rate and a similar experience. The game was pretty miserable to everyone equally because that wasn't a fun 50% to have. Pretty anecdotal, but for some reason the person I know who played the longest had a 800 MMR duo and sat at 30% win rate. Come to think about it the worst SC2 player I know is also the only one who still plays to this day, go figure.

Seriously though, I've never seen being low-skilled causing people to drop from a game en masse between seasons. LoL is a pretty good example. Everything I've seen points to the exact opposite. People feel renewed after a season ends because now they're pretty sure they're gonna reach their true elo again and get soft burned (but not entirely) after 3-4 months, then get back for the last 2 months. For short season games, the low-ranked Hearthstone people I know play as much as the high-ranked, and they both skip a few seasons a year. They just don't play as much as the top top top players. The only players I've seen quit ranked altogether are the ones who both got Legend super early on and lost the carrot-on-a-stick, and didn't care about the game that much to play without that incentive.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jul 1, 2016

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Zoness posted:

let's be honest most of the time if you need to switch into a better comp you're already boned

Because you waited too long to switch

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

nerve posted:

Because you waited too long to switch

yeah specifically this - the time it takes to tell someone to switch, wait for them to die, have them maybe acknowledge that they do need to switch, is at best, enough time for your enemies to have a significant advantage on the next push

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
One of the many reasons solo queue and AT should be separate.

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

Posted this in the other thread but bears repeating: if your games are stuttering and then ending with a "server closed due to unexpected error" message, and there's a Hanzo or Genji on either team, they're deliberately exploiting a bug that's going around. Happened to me in Quick Play last night and streamers got hit by it as well

This wipes out competitive matches in progress so it might be wise to stay the hell out of ranked for the moment.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

subx posted:

I got this yesterday too while playing McCree. My damage locked at like 500 damage. I didn't notice at first, so about half way into the match I looked at the scoreboard and I had gold with 1 elim and 500 damage.

Did you do anything memorable to produce this bug or did it happen more than once? I think it only happened once for me.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

Mister Fister posted:

Did you do anything memorable to produce this bug or did it happen more than once? I think it only happened once for me.

I don't remember anything special happening, and it only happened the once (as far as I noticed, I sometimes go afk after a match and don't notice stats).

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
There is nothing worse than a Genji or Hanzo saying "we need a tank/healer".

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Verranicus posted:

There is nothing worse than a Genji or Hanzo saying "we need a tank/healer".

This is where you go 2nd Genji/Hanzo just to troll them back.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Mister Fister posted:

go roadhog

"but I can heal"

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Mister Fister posted:

I go healer and then never ever heal them all match.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
the cart is the healer, stay close and protect it

ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

I've played 13 competitive matches including placements and I can't recall ever seeing anyone besides myself switch what character they were playing. (Related: I'm 3/10)

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)
https://gfycat.com/WearyPointlessGlobefish

That's some good trolling

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

for what it's worth i honestly think it's commendable that you have the self-knowledge to adjust to the idea this quickly

Us olds are used to being wrong most of the time
Esp if we have been divorced at least once :woop:

I am learning a lot from this thread

Elentor posted:

If you want to blow everyone then get on the actual top end where you absolutely can't have 50% win rate no matter how much the system tries to balance the MMR since there's no way to do it proper.

Otherwise having an unbalanced match on purpose really sucks when you're on the receiving end.

I don't disagree, and I've heard it all: I'm hacking, I'm ruining the game, everyone hates me etc etc. Seems even the top of the heap is only about a 70% win rate which is I guess heartening, but also kinda says this game is really designed for balance and less for pubstomping. I'm sure they're right that it will get more players too, although TF2 never had a real problem with a playerbase, Bliz usually knows what they're doing.

piratepilates posted:

edit: some Quake Live servers have Elo set up and you can see the Elo and how it works, you get a good understanding of how it all works by playing a bunch of it (although there's no matchmaking, only a server browser).

You had some good info and yeah I've never once played a ranked FPS so this is new stuff for me. I really wish they had tracked Quake back when I was young and full of skill, then all the internet kids would have been in awe and I could have gotten money for playing video games instead of having to do IT for work. You kids with your Twitches and stuff. :corsair:

Xaris posted:

Pretty much. I've actually stopped playing Reinhardt as much as I used to when I first started playing, because we always have too many "flankers" who end up floundering around doing nothing useful with my shield anyways. So now I pretty much have just spent 90% of my time as Zarya in hopes that maybe I can help lead the team to some victory :smith:

If there's a Reinhardt on my team who can keep the sheild between me and the bad guys I go Pharah all day every day and laugh my rear end off. I appreciate you and your German efforts. (Zarya is great too, because that gravity bomb also attracts DEATH FROM ABOVE)

One of the many reasons solo queue and AT should be separate.

What's 'AT' in this sentence?

subx posted:

http://masteroverwatch.com/leaderboards/pc/us (at the top)

I'm betting that's pretty close to accurate as far as the full population bell curve.

Whoah that website clears up a TON of things for me. First of all that my playing as tracer makes me abysmally inaccurate (on a global scale), but true, you do a lot of spraying with the gun and zipping away. But really, at least this makes me feel all better that I'm not living a lie and I'm actually average at these games - i'm in the low 4100's in k/d of it looks like at least 375k players in the US, so hay I'm a 1%er like I thought. However, my win/loss is still around the 50th percentile, because this is a team game and I'm doing mostly solo queue.

So if anyone wants to team up and we can help each other, at least I know there's a solid chance your team will get more kills with me around.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Competitive mode has offered me nothing but good games after placement. We lost one because of stupid composition changes that threw the game away but everything until that was solid and the rest have been good win or lose.

Now if they can just fix whatever the intentional crash exploit is and find some replacement for the coin flip we'll be good to go.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

mormonpartyboat posted:

the cart is the healer, stay close and protect it

I'm still wondering if 76's heal + the cart heal stack.

Also it's shocking how many people don't know the cart heals.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

PaulC posted:

Posted this in the other thread but bears repeating: if your games are stuttering and then ending with a "server closed due to unexpected error" message, and there's a Hanzo or Genji on either team, they're deliberately exploiting a bug that's going around. Happened to me in Quick Play last night and streamers got hit by it as well

This wipes out competitive matches in progress so it might be wise to stay the hell out of ranked for the moment.

Yeah I'm absolutely not touching competitive mode after seeing how easy it is to do this, I'll wait for an official confirmation that it's fixed.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

That was a bad Mercy. Just die and respawn, smh.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Zoness posted:

If you can't pilot your gimmick to victory then you deserve your loss.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Competitive mode has offered me nothing but good games after placement. We lost one because of stupid composition changes that threw the game away but everything until that was solid and the rest have been good win or lose.

Now if they can just fix whatever the intentional crash exploit is and find some replacement for the coin flip we'll be good to go.

I got Pharah's Thunderbird skin from a box after my 10th placement game, so comp mode does officially own.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

MacheteZombie posted:

That was a bad Mercy. Just die and respawn, smh.

Eh, she probably got some good ult charge off that Winston

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I've only played like 8 comp matches so far, but with the exception of the one where someone left 3 minutes in, every one of my comp matches has been among the best I've ever played. It's a weird experience after years of pub matches in TF2 and the like.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Countblanc posted:

Yeah I'm absolutely not touching competitive mode after seeing how easy it is to do this, I'll wait for an official confirmation that it's fixed.

Is there any information about this floating around anywhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I actually sort of agree. Of my 18 matches in comp, 4 or 5 were bad teams or leavers, and the rest were great, hard-fought, fun matches that really pushed myself to try.