Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Huh, guess Sectoids had their AI adjusted to not always make zombies, huh

RIP my Ranger on his first mission, I already wanna restart :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Crosspeice posted:

Got a great bug here where the building that the evac zone is on apparently has no line of sight blocking in the walls or ceiling, allowing Advent to just shoot through the walls to hit me. Sure it works both ways, but it means they're surrounded by all this high cover that they can shoot from no problem, while I only have 3 turns to reach this drat zone.

Edit: Oh hey, it finally fixed itself in the third refresh. Unfortunately the sectoid panicked my grenadier on the second to last turn (cause that roll has yet to fail in this campaign) so he got left behind. Maybe I'll rescue my squaddie if I have a need for one in like eight months when he pops up :v:
Wait wait, how did you fix this and there's such a thing as rescuing?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Shumagorath posted:

Wait wait, how did you fix this and there's such a thing as rescuing?

Yeah if your guys get captured (i.e. you evac with people still in the field and they show up as captured/MIA on the after mission screen) you have the chance that they will show up as a VIP later in missions.

Not terribly useful for low rank guys, especially since, when all the guys are low rank, you likely need eng/sci more than a dumb squaddie.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
I still want rescue captured people missions to be shunted down to rumour sites instead, and if enough get captured then you get to pull a large scale prison break.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Interesting that Sparks seem to have a whole skill tree devoted to "Hey, everybody! Shoot ME!" and taking revenge on those who do.

The other skill that lets them sometimes take a free shot on revealed aliens is pretty neat. When they bust through a wall, there's a risk they'll reveal aliens, so busting through a wall followed by shooting at the pod is pretty awesome.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
AWC's 'bonus' perks is kinda starting to piss me off with how goddamn useless they are 90% of the time. Lightning Reflexes on my Sniper :what:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Malachite_Dragon posted:

AWC's 'bonus' perks is kinda starting to piss me off with how goddamn useless they are 90% of the time. Lightning Reflexes on my Sniper :what:
Train them as a gunslinger then.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I always get Blast Padding, and only Blast Padding.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

In my current game my main sniper rolled Blast Padding.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I picked up the let me choose perk mod for the AWC. Seems too good. Everyone's just getting Rupture and Holo-Targeting and Chain Shots. :v: Wish it just gave me a choice of three.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Bogart posted:

I picked up the let me choose perk mod for the AWC. Seems too good. Everyone's just getting Rupture and Holo-Targeting and Chain Shots. :v: Wish it just gave me a choice of three.

What's it called? I want to look at it to see if I can write a mod to fix my problem. I think your suggested edit is better because being able to pick anything I want? Every time? hahaha

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

There's an achievement for a Spark surviving a mission it started out with half health too. Is there a way to repair them in mission at all?

Strangely enough Med-kits will repair a Spark, works like regular soldier healing even down to it not counting for strategy layer healing

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

LOL... opened my original save, last played in March. I still hadn't gotten around to beating XCOM2 once. I was thinking I would restart but maybe save some of my favourites to the character pool and start over to use the DLC.

It quickly came back to me where I lost momentum. Somehow, without save-scumming, I scraped together a "victory" with my favourite character surviving. Now I want to finish this drat playthrough.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

MadHat posted:

Strangely enough Med-kits will repair a Spark, works like regular soldier healing even down to it not counting for strategy layer healing

Medkits can heal Andromedons, creatures that breathe in an argon-based environment and that need a bio suit to stay alive in regular Earth atmosphere. They also repair robots.

That's right.

Medkits are the evolution of WD-40.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Andre Banzai posted:

Medkits can heal Andromedons, creatures that breathe in an argon-based environment and that need a bio suit to stay alive in regular Earth atmosphere. They also repair robots.

That's right.

Medkits are the evolution of WD-40.

Well, the upgrade is the Nanomedkit. So yeah, thanks to researching Viper-spit you learn how to make nanomachines.

Also, I took the skill that makes Sparks intimidate anyone who shoots at them instead of walking through walls. Though I'd try it out just once because otherwise I'd be All Kool-Aid Man, all the time. Oh my god that skill is hilarious. Ran out in the middle of all the baby vipers during the Nest mission. It turned the ambush with a bajillion baby snakes from annoying into hilarious because they would take one shot at my robot and then curl up into adorable little balls of frightened snake until the rest of my team cleaned them up.

Turns out Firaxis actually made an actual good/hilarious choice to go alongside "Become Kool-Aid Man".

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Alkydere posted:

Well, the upgrade is the Nanomedkit. So yeah, thanks to researching Viper-spit you learn how to make nanomachines.

Seriously, though.

Nanomedkit should be developed from the Faceless research. Makes much more sense thematically.

Mimic Beacon should come from the Codex research, would also make a hell of a lot more sense.

And from the Viper you should get maybe viper rounds and poison grenades.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Psion posted:

What's it called? I want to look at it to see if I can write a mod to fix my problem. I think your suggested edit is better because being able to pick anything I want? Every time? hahaha

'Chooseable AWC Perks' by someone called tyblaidd.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Andre Banzai posted:

Seriously, though.

Nanomedkit should be developed from the Faceless research. Makes much more sense thematically.

Mimic Beacon should come from the Codex research, would also make a hell of a lot more sense.

And from the Viper you should get maybe viper rounds and poison grenades.

You are a mad man.

By the way, what is a good point to do the Alien Hunters mission to trigger the Rulers? I don't want to do it so soon that my campaign gets eaten by them and I also don't want to do it so late that they're trivial threats and I only do a victory lap with their items. Full magnetic weapons/predator armor?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

ZearothK posted:

You are a mad man.

By the way, what is a good point to do the Alien Hunters mission to trigger the Rulers? I don't want to do it so soon that my campaign gets eaten by them and I also don't want to do it so late that they're trivial threats and I only do a victory lap with their items. Full magnetic weapons/predator armor?

Yeah, that's about the point when I did the Nest mission to trigger the rulers to show up. Magentic/Predator is a good level to do that one at, Plasma/Warden might be overdoing it.

I think my new game bugged in a different way than the last one :shepface: Berserker Queen showed up during a Retaliation mission, froze and murdered her, but didn't get the achievement for it. I blame my router resetting itself at right that moment so it might've confused Steam.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
Cool so the new DLC missions are also extremely badly balanced. Fun.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I had no issues with the Lost Towers. :shrug: Default Ruler Reactions can go suck my dick though.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

botany posted:

Cool so the new DLC missions are also extremely badly balanced. Fun.

Anything is more balanced than when I played TFTD so whatever!

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
I have no idea how you're supposed to do that mission at the time it appears without losing soldiers or massively reloading to make sure every roll goes your way. I'm playing on veteran and I cannot for the life of me get that loving mission over without losing people.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Bring at least two soldiers with a machine gun or a sniper; their weapons do 4-6 damage, instead of 3-5, so they one shot derilict MECs with no assistance more often than not. Lily should be using skills pretty much every turn. Use your combat protocol first because it has a short cooldown. It will come back off CD to use again after your next two turns, which should be Hack MEC and Capacitor discharge. Dont hack MECs that are in self destruct mode, because you can't use them to shoot other MECs any more. Don't use grenades at all; save all of them for Julian. When you get to the turrets, have Lily hack one immediately and then dog pile the other. When SPARK is going for the gas, use your squad in the clean room to clear out the turrets as they come. Lily and SPARK should be leaving that floor last since they are the most reliable robo killers; they will cover the rest of your squad as they run for it.
Use lily to hack the Sectopod on round 2, after the MECs spawn. Stunning him is also good.

Killing the MECs as Julian spawns them on the roof is good and you should do this. Those two soldiers doing so are hardly wasting an action since you need to wait a few turns for SPARK to Rocket Launcher/Shred the Sectopod down. Lily should be on the boss every round. Same with SPARK

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

botany posted:

I have no idea how you're supposed to do that mission at the time it appears without losing soldiers or massively reloading to make sure every roll goes your way. I'm playing on veteran and I cannot for the life of me get that loving mission over without losing people.

I went in with a corporal sniper/gunslinger with dlc pistol, a corporal ranger melee specc'd with the dlc axe and a corporal grenadier with shredder and the cryo grenade all with ballistics. It was pretty doable until the sectopod but it mostly focused on the Spark unit and Lily was able to hack it so she got control of all the mecs and suicide bombed it with them while it was standing next to a generator, then it moved to the next generator so it wasn't that bad to deal with on commander, but I'd definitely advise people to wait until they at least had magnetics before doing that mission, it gets pretty rough otherwise.

NTT posted:

Bring at least two soldiers with a machine gun or a sniper; their weapons do 4-6 damage, instead of 3-5, so they one shot derilict MECs with no assistance more often than not. Lily should be using skills pretty much every turn. Use your combat protocol first because it has a short cooldown. It will come back off CD to use again after your next two turns, which should be Hack MEC and Capacitor discharge. Dont hack MECs that are in self destruct mode, because you can't use them to shoot other MECs any more. Don't use grenades at all; save all of them for Julian. When you get to the turrets, have Lily hack one immediately and then dog pile the other. When SPARK is going for the gas, use your squad in the clean room to clear out the turrets as they come. Lily and SPARK should be leaving that floor last since they are the most reliable robo killers; they will cover the rest of your squad as they run for it.
Use lily to hack the Sectopod on round 2, after the MECs spawn. Stunning him is also good.

Killing the MECs as Julian spawns them on the roof is good and you should do this. Those two soldiers doing so are hardly wasting an action since you need to wait a few turns for SPARK to Rocket Launcher/Shred the Sectopod down. Lily should be on the boss every round. Same with SPARK

This.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
When a mission feeds you a colonel level unit, it's a good hint that it'll be a bit difficult.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Bogart posted:

'Chooseable AWC Perks' by someone called tyblaidd.

Haha, so, I didn't get this mod but I did just do a mission where my reward was a Colonel Sharpshooter. The game gave me Rupture as his ability. :getin:

fargom
Mar 21, 2007

botany posted:

I don't mean to be dense here, but why not just accept the losses and move on? Are you trying to flawless every mission?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

fargom posted:

I don't mean to be dense here, but why not just accept the losses and move on? Are you trying to flawless every mission?

I haven't even been able to complete the mission with losses so far. Ideally, yes, I'd like to not lose people, but so far the sectopod just kills either Shen or Spark every time. I'll try to reload it from scratch tomorow, but this is the exact same poo poo I disliked about the alien rulers: the first combat DLC mission gives you no indication of the level of difficulty, and that's just lovely game design. I don't mind difficult missions, but at least hint at what's going to go down, so I can put it off for later.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Psion posted:

Haha, so, I didn't get this mod but I did just do a mission where my reward was a Colonel Sharpshooter. The game gave me Rupture as his ability. :getin:

On my game before this one, I got Rupture on my Ranger with the one-shot alien hunter weapon :getin: Shame about having to lose her with the new game to get the Shen's Last Gift mission.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
XCOM gotchaing the player with a new unit unexpectedly is so traditionally XCOM I'm not sure what you're bitching about

fargom
Mar 21, 2007

botany posted:

I haven't even been able to complete the mission with losses so far. Ideally, yes, I'd like to not lose people, but so far the sectopod just kills either Shen or Spark every time. I'll try to reload it from scratch tomorow, but this is the exact same poo poo I disliked about the alien rulers: the first combat DLC mission gives you no indication of the level of difficulty, and that's just lovely game design. I don't mind difficult missions, but at least hint at what's going to go down, so I can put it off for later.

Ahh makes sense, I read your post as you could beat the mission but not without casualties/hospital time. I played base Xcom2, but waited until now to check out alien hunters + Shen, so I'm kinda going in blind. I was able to do both the nest and the tower on ballistic weps and Kevlar armor, but from what I understand this might be a big loving mistake. I didn't realize these missions would just sit forever, I thought I would lose the ability to do the story line missions if I skipped, like it was with Xcom 2012.

Seems to me the crossbow is absurdly powerful in the first two months, my support gets more kills than other people just because that loving thing can't miss.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

fargom posted:

Ahh makes sense, I read your post as you could beat the mission but not without casualties/hospital time. I played base Xcom2, but waited until now to check out alien hunters + Shen, so I'm kinda going in blind. I was able to do both the nest and the tower on ballistic weps and Kevlar armor, but from what I understand this might be a big loving mistake. I didn't realize these missions would just sit forever, I thought I would lose the ability to do the story line missions if I skipped, like it was with Xcom 2012.

Seems to me the crossbow is absurdly powerful in the first two months, my support gets more kills than other people just because that loving thing can't miss.

I did the Tower with Ballistics and Kevlar and only four soldiers just fine. And one was a Ranger I replaced the shotgun for an SMG for so he could only really provide emotional support. It's a hard mission but totally beatable. Probably helped that the other two soldiers were a Grenadier who just wrecked the trash-bots, and an offensive Support with the stake-thrower who wrecked the bots even harder and had two uses of Combat Protocol to gib an enemy (not as good as Shen's infinite ones, but still better than nothing).

Seriously, the Hunter weapon impaler is probably one of the best weapons you can bring for that final fight because once the armor is stripped away it was doing 8 damage a turn. Also, bring a loving freeze grenade to give yourself one turn to get free hits/shreds on the final boss.Those things are so goddamned useful.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Is it just me or do SPARKs have terrible aim?

Edit: AND they get gravely wounded status if someone takes a single hit point off them.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jul 2, 2016

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

Alkydere posted:

Seriously, the Hunter weapon impaler is probably one of the best weapons you can bring for that final fight because once the armor is stripped away it was doing 8 damage a turn. Also, bring a loving freeze grenade to give yourself one turn to get free hits/shreds on the final boss.Those things are so goddamned useful.

Yeah this. Even though its a short freeze getting in hits without retaliation is something you'll want to aim for. I also hacked it with Lily instead controlling the MECs - you can only hack it once so I focused on destroying the armor.

The Sparks unit is amazing. Now that it has a magnetic weapon it just DESTROYS anything it sees. Cant wait for Plasma tech.

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak
This is pretty consistent for me, so may be a bug, or maybe just a bug for me, but it seems like the Sparks skill that allows them to act as full cover for squadmates (Bulwark) is giving the bonus to enemies. I haven't tested if the enemy gets the bonus against other squadmates, but it's at least giving full cover against the Sparks shots.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
I've seen the same thing with the spark's cover ability, it works for anyone adjacent regardless of alien/xcom. Might be intended, not sure without a dev comment.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

fargom posted:

I've seen the same thing with the spark's cover ability, it works for anyone adjacent regardless of alien/xcom. Might be intended, not sure without a dev comment.

IIRC, MECs using that same sort of ability could be used as cover by aliens too, as well as SHIVs.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

IIRC, MECs using that same sort of ability could be used as cover by aliens too, as well as SHIVs.

Doesn't surprise me, i just never ran into that with xcom 2012 because anything next to my mech has a mech size hole in its face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

teethgrinder posted:

LOL... opened my original save, last played in March. I still hadn't gotten around to beating XCOM2 once. I was thinking I would restart but maybe save some of my favourites to the character pool and start over to use the DLC.

It quickly came back to me where I lost momentum. Somehow, without save-scumming, I scraped together a "victory" with my favourite character surviving. Now I want to finish this drat playthrough.

Welp next mission is Avenger defence and I'm getting utterly destroyed, so I guess that makes my decision for me.

Bitching about how I got here: I don't understand it ... the enemy UFO was nowhere near my Avenger on the geoscape ... it just suddenly warped into place as I arrived at my destination. Feels like the game forced it to happen.