Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

bonds0097 posted:

I love the Wi-Fi. Nice to be able to get the water going before I head home from the trails/gym/whatever.

I thought it was a dumb-as-hell gimmick until I actually got the Anova. Having my phone go 'deep-doop, your water is ready' is actually a really handy feature. I do wish they'd make a $125 version without it though, I'd put up with a chirpy timer to save the cash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

spankmeister posted:

Netherlands, and if my goons.xlsx is up to date you're in Germany and I order stuff from Germany all the time. Deutsch ist kein Problem. :)

Alles klar, wenn ich einen günstigen Händler finde, schicke ich dir einen Link.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

bonds0097 posted:

The Anova works well and is very easy to clean. The only thing I would recommend is that if you have hard water, that you toss some vinegar in your cooking bath every once in a while, does a magnificent job of descaling everything (and scale build-up can block the temps sensor).

I will do this, our water is at 18 degrees hardness in Munich...fishtanks were a bitch to maintain, which is why I gave up that hobby

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Got a pair of venison loin steaks, what's the temperature for medium rare? Or is there a different doneness that I should be aiming for?

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

AnonSpore posted:

Got a pair of venison loin steaks, what's the temperature for medium rare? Or is there a different doneness that I should be aiming for?

131-135.

Venison tenderloin is already quite tender so you should just aim for 6.5 log decimation, no need to cook forever. 90 min at 131 or 36 at 135 should do it (that is cook time after core temp has reached target temp).

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I am going to a BYOBeef BBQ tonight, if I sous viddled myself a nice steak, would it be safe to leave it in the bag for ~1 hour before searing it on the BBQ? I know about ice water cooling and storing, but I just need to bridge a gap of 2hrs max.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
That sounds like a recipe for adult diapers.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I suspected as much...

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

e: nvm

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

If it's already been puddled, I would absolutely eat it if I had to wait an hour or two to sear it.

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009
Would it be foolish to attempt 72h short ribs in a ziploc instead of a vac bag? So far I've not even bothered to use zipclocs, just freezer bags that I clipped to the edge of my SV cambro, but max cook time has been 4h hours so far. Given that the cambro is somewhat shallow, I wouldn't even submerge the seal of the bag.

edit: some quick googling shows that not submerging the entire bag might be inadvisable due to bacterial growth towards the top. Still would be good to hear some goon experiences with this method.

Serendipitaet fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jun 23, 2016

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Hopper posted:

I am going to a BYOBeef BBQ tonight, if I sous viddled myself a nice steak, would it be safe to leave it in the bag for ~1 hour before searing it on the BBQ? I know about ice water cooling and storing, but I just need to bridge a gap of 2hrs max.

You're fine. It'll be pasteurized.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Serendipitaet posted:

Would it be foolish to attempt 72h short ribs in a ziploc instead of a vac bag? So far I've not even bothered to use zipclocs, just freezer bags that I clipped to the edge of my SV cambro, but max cook time has been 4h hours so far. Given that the cambro is somewhat shallow, I wouldn't even submerge the seal of the bag.

edit: some quick googling shows that not submerging the entire bag might be inadvisable due to bacterial growth towards the top. Still would be good to hear some goon experiences with this method.

Use a gallon bag so that you can submerge your food deeper while still keeping the seal clipped to the top of the cambro

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

be sure to use freezer bags as opposed to storage, storage ones aren't watertight generally.

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

Use a gallon bag so that you can submerge your food deeper while still keeping the seal clipped to the top of the cambro

Sounds sensible, thanks!

MasterFugu posted:

be sure to use freezer bags as opposed to storage, storage ones aren't watertight generally.

Got it, they're quite heavy ones and good for up to 90° C so I hope for the best.

Ribs are in the water now, hope this will turn out to be a good Sunday supper.

Dem Bones
Feb 25, 2005
Listen, I didn't face ten long tours against the goddamn 'bots to come back home and lift baby weights.

Serendipitaet posted:

Ribs are in the water now, hope this will turn out to be a good Sunday supper.

If you have more bags, double-bagging for long cooks works fine and is worth it in my experience.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I ended used not viddling but made dry rub, got an amazing result because I pulled it off the bbq at just right time, medium rare with a nice rub crust.

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009
Thanks for the advice, viddle thread goons!

The end result :

Pretty good. Outstanding flavor, but some tough bits remained. I might try a slightly higher temp/shorter time next time.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Serendipitaet posted:

Thanks for the advice, viddle thread goons!

The end result :

Pretty good. Outstanding flavor, but some tough bits remained. I might try a slightly higher temp/shorter time next time.

That's looks awesome.

How about lower temp, even longer? What cut is that?

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009
Dry aged short rib, cooked at 54°C for about 70h. The texture of the leaner parts was super tender, but there was quite a bit of connective tissue left in other places which wasn't super pleasant.

Might try 62°C/48h next to see if that gives a more even result.

e: I can really recommend the pea puree/mash thingy as a quick side btw. Cook some frozen peas, drain, add butter, salt, pepper, fresh basil, some lemon juice, and then blend with an immersion blender. Add cream if you like (colour is brighter without, i used a little bit). Super sweet, nice texture and takes no time.

Serendipitaet fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jun 27, 2016

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I usually do (139 or 140ish) 60c roughly for 72 hours. I did the 54 for 72 on my first batch and I guess my ribs were a little more fatty than usual, but it was a bit off putting, 145 for 48 is really good too but it way less steak-like.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Serendipitaet posted:

Dry aged short rib, cooked at 54°C for about 70h. The texture of the leaner parts was super tender, but there was quite a bit of connective tissue left in other places which wasn't super pleasant.

Might try 62°C/48h next to see if that gives a more even result.

e: I can really recommend the pea puree/mash thingy as a quick side btw. Cook some frozen peas, drain, add butter, salt, pepper, fresh basil, some lemon juice, and then blend with an immersion blender. Add cream if you like (colour is brighter without, i used a little bit). Super sweet, nice texture and takes no time.

54 C is in the danger zone. Seems like a bad idea to hold something below 131 F (55 C) for more than an hour or two.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

bonds0097 posted:

54 C is in the danger zone. Seems like a bad idea to hold something below 131 F (55 C) for more than an hour or two.

http://www.foodsafetymagazine.com/magazine-archive1/februarymarch-2004/the-danger-zone-reevaluated/

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Anova has been emailing $50 off coupon codes. Here's some I'm not using: anova-ts8s266a and anova-7944ea67

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Choadmaster posted:

anova-ts8s266a

Tentatively grabbing this one.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Interesting.

I'd been using this as my ref previously: http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/wcm/connect/9ab2e062-7ac8-49b7-aea1-f070048a113a/RTE_Poultry_Tables.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

Romulux
Mar 17, 2004

E V O L V E D
Ayy shoutout to the Anova deals. I got mine for $100 last year and it's by far the coolest piece of cooking kit I own. Picked up a MAP/Pro torch with the money I saved. They're best friends.

The Pell
Feb 6, 2008
Here's another $50 coupon: anova-6sd97a39

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Which has this table:

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

deimos posted:

Which has this table:

Right, which is why I previously thought I needed to keep my food at at least 130 degrees.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
did up some nice local boerwor and farmer sausages bagged with salted beer last night a la serious eats. quick brown in a nonstick then served in warm buns with mustard, sauerkraut and onions. A+ very juicy and tender, would eat again

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
What's salted beer taste like? Sounds cool.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

namaste faggots posted:

haha its just beer(i used pilsener) with a couple of teaspoons of salt in the bag with it. supposedly keeps the sausages juicier than plain beer :iiam:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Like a beer brine I guess.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
That still sounds tasty. I will try this.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
I got me a brisket flat from Costco that I'm going to cook this weekend. I've only tried it twice, about a year ago, and came to the conclusion that I prefer temps around 155-166 for a more classically briskety texture.

That said, anyone have a favorite brisket recipe? It's been so long I've forgotten what I'm doing anyway.

Dem Bones
Feb 25, 2005
Listen, I didn't face ten long tours against the goddamn 'bots to come back home and lift baby weights.

namaste faggots posted:

Goses are delicious.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

namaste faggots posted:

Mexican folks often salt their beer - you can even find special flavored beer salts in gas stations and stuff.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

large hands posted:

did up some nice local boerwor and farmer sausages bagged with salted beer last night a la serious eats. quick brown in a nonstick then served in warm buns with mustard, sauerkraut and onions. A+ very juicy and tender, would eat again

Wait. Aren't the boerwor supposed to go on the braai?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
TO THE CONCENTRATION CAMP