Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Cao Ni Ma posted:

He has A assistant. Naoko did a lot of the touching up when Togashi went into Full doodle mode during the chimera ant arc right? Would either of them be ok with having her taking over drawing while he writes? Maybe get an assistant to help her out? Its pretty obvious that she did more than just touching up after this hiatus, full spreads looked like they were in her style.

Yeah I noticed that Hisoka and Chrollo were looking pretty shojo during their duel. I wonder if they're not just splitting the work now, and the reason for the long hiatus was the new Sailor Moon anime :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I wouldn't be surprised if the long hiatus are just for him to plan these ridiculously complex and convoluted plots because I can't imagine him doing it on a weekly basis. He probably takes the year off to plan it to the end, and release it while drawing it bit by bit.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Bad Seafood posted:

Lemme know when you're free, okay?
Hey, I'm free.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

We're all free because the hiatus is back :smith:

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Clarste posted:

I assume it was the only beast using In.

I get that, but why doesn't this nen user tell people "hey, you don't see this loving weird poo poo on my head? use gyo plz" instead of not saying anything. like, it's togashi's thing for people to think situations through logically (like asimov), instead of letting human error dictate events (and if it is some miscalculation it gets mentioned). You're guarding a possible future king, you gotta disclose any weird poo poo no matter what.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Lpzie posted:

How did nobody see the hamster thing on that guy?
It could have been planted itself in his thoughts now. Kind of like a memetic virus. That would explain why nine of the other guards can see it but he can, despite not using gyo.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

the problem is the only time he'd have to explain what he'd see was a time when he was free.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Bad seafood there are massive consequences involved in me being free, are you willing to accept the charges?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Brought To You By posted:

Today's lesson is how to deal with Japanese themed ghosts. Our unfortunate hunter was offered a question "are you free?". This is a yes or no question and should immediately be considered a catch-22. He answered no and was possessed later on, had he said yes the possession would probably have happened immediately. This is somewhat common in Japanese mythology and the only correct answer varies depending on the spirit in question. Best guess is that he could have either bounced the question back in order to avoid possession, or just given a "so-so" response. I've also read that you can claim you have a prior engagement or meeting and the spirit will excuse themselves for being rude. Either way the moral of today's lesson is: If presented with a yes or no question by a creature, don't give them a definitive response.

I kind of hope that the other nen beasts are all themed around urban legends and myths because that would be really interesting to play out in a battle setting.

Oh yeah this reminds me of the story of the slit-mouthed woman, down to the ambiguous answer to escape.

quote:

According to the legend, she walks around wearing a surgical mask.

The woman will ask a potential victim "Am I pretty?" If they answer no, she will kill them with a pair of scissors, which she carries. If they answers yes, she will pull away the mask, revealing that her mouth is slit from ear to ear, and ask "How about now?" If they answer no, she will cut her victim in half. If the person answers yes, then she will slit his/her mouth like hers. It is impossible to run away from her, as she will simply reappear in front of the victim.

When the legend reappeared in the 1970s, rumors of ways to escape also emerged. Some sources say she can also be confused by the victim answering her question with ambiguous answers, such as "You are average" or "So-so". Another method is to flip her questions towards her, such as asking her "Do you think I'm pretty?" Unsure of what to do, she will give a person enough time to escape while she is lost in thought. Another escape route is to tell her one has a previous engagement; she will pardon her manners and excuse herself. In some variations of the tale, she can be distracted by fruit or candies thrown at her which she will then pick up, thus giving the victim a chance to run.

I remember first reading about her on Hell Teacher Nube.

God drat Hell Teacher Nube.

Feels like such a long time ago...

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Once some enemies challenged our head god to eat a giant bowl of soup or they'd kill him. Hoping this makes an appearance at some point.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Oh yeah this reminds me of the story of the slit-mouthed woman, down to the ambiguous answer to escape.
I remember that one, there's also a ghost that haunts toilet stalls and asks if you want red or blue paper. Red and he cuts you to pieces, blue and he chokes you to death. And if you get smart and ask for a different color he just takes you straight to hell. The real answer is to tell him you don't need any paper and he'll live. Also yellow gets you a swirly.

AtomikKrab posted:

Bad seafood there are massive consequences involved in me being free, are you willing to accept the charges?
If an exorcist is free he can help.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

I remember that one, there's also a ghost that haunts toilet stalls and asks if you want red or blue paper. Red and he cuts you to pieces, blue and he chokes you to death. And if you get smart and ask for a different color he just takes you straight to hell. The real answer is to tell him you don't need any paper and he'll live. Also yellow gets you a swirly.

Aw poo poo I remember this too.

I had these comic books filled with all sorts of scary stories as a kid. Korea had a ton of them.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Japan has some extremely rude ghosts.

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

FOOL! DOCTOR DOOM DOES AS HE PLEASES!
:gaz: :gaz: :gaz:

Bad Seafood posted:

Any of you guys free?

I am free

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
None of us are free.

We're all slaves to life, employment, and the agonizing prison sentence known as the Hunter x Hunter hiatus.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

alkanphel posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the long hiatus are just for him to plan these ridiculously complex and convoluted plots because I can't imagine him doing it on a weekly basis. He probably takes the year off to plan it to the end, and release it while drawing it bit by bit.

Eh, I don't think there is a single reason. He is an old man, he has back problems, he spends way more effort on writing than any other weekly mangaka. The end result doesn't change. I just hope this isn't another year and change hiatus.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

What were his longest ones and what events bookended them?

Tipme
Oct 30, 2009
Hi. I'm a Chelsea fan since 2010. Please murder me with a piece of pipe. thanks.
I'll free you guys

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

What were his longest ones and what events bookended them?

Until very recently no one knew for sure what Togashi's deal was. Confirmation of his back problems only happened during the latest set of chapters.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Oh sorry I meant storyline events, basically what did people have to wait ages to see over a hiatus. I started reading some time before the 2011 anime but i honestly can't recall where I started or what things were broken up by hiatus.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
you could say he's...GON.

did someone make that joke yet

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

Oh sorry I meant storyline events, basically what did people have to wait ages to see over a hiatus. I started reading some time before the 2011 anime but i honestly can't recall where I started or what things were broken up by hiatus.

This is stuff that started almost a decade ago. I don't remember at all.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat
I remember one hiatus starting after the chapter where Morel tests Gon's resolve to face Pitou and gets freaked out by Gon's aura. Then another starting right after the palace infiltration occurred, like they just went through the portal and then hiatus.

I think the last one I posted about happened a decade ago.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

I just remember the Chimera Ants arc being when I started dropping the series for months at a time and occasionally seeing it pop up again on onemanga and binging it again to make sure I didn't forget anything. And now I realize I've been reading this series for over a decade.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

EmmyOk posted:

netero meets ant king -> immediate year long hiatus

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
i guess a hiatus now early in the arc is better than later and as someone else said we're lucky we even got the hisoka chrollo fight imagine if it hiatus'd when hisoka blew up

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Artelier posted:

netero meets ant king -> immediate year long hiatus

Togashi definitely intentionally starts his hiatuses on cliffhanger chapters. Why? Who knows?

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

oh my god togashi at this point I'd be fine with stick figures if it means regular HxH

this is literally the only manga I still carea bout and it has the shittiest schedule, while other dumb stuff keeps getting churned out week after week

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Wonder if he's ever considered a reliable impersonator. Someone who can do a good version of his art so he can just do storyboards and plot.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Wonder if he's ever considered a reliable impersonator. Someone who can do a good version of his art so he can just do storyboards and plot.

Those are called assistants.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

It could have been planted itself in his thoughts now. Kind of like a memetic virus. That would explain why nine of the other guards can see it but he can, despite not using gyo.

He seems pretty nonchalant even when the beasts first show up.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

would watch a crime solving show starring kurapika & leorio

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

If pain or impairment of any kind was Togashi's problem he could just get someone else to draw for him and rake in the big loving bucks all of the time.

It's not, lets be honest, this is a dude who was locked into his hotel room by his editor because he was too loving god damned lazy to actually draw and then parlayed that incident into a (nearly complete) early retirement.

He does the absolutely least Shueisha will allow him to get away with without terminating his contract and even then the guy isn't above testing what they'll let him get away with.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

NecroMonster posted:

It's not, lets be honest, this is a dude who was locked into his hotel room by his editor because he was too loving god damned lazy to actually draw and then parlayed that incident into a (nearly complete) early retirement.

Is there an actual source for this? People keep repeating this, but I suspect it's an urban legend.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

NecroMonster posted:

If pain or impairment of any kind was Togashi's problem he could just get someone else to draw for him and rake in the big loving bucks all of the time.

He does the absolutely least Shueisha will allow him to get away with without terminating his contract and even then the guy isn't above testing what they'll let him get away with.

On the other hand an artist does not exist to satisfy your demands and under no circumstances should anyone be locked in a hotel room to work.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
a mangaka is a both a writer and an artist. who are you to say that he isn't allowed to care about drawing his own comic?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Mango Polo posted:

He seems pretty nonchalant even when the beasts first show up.

Might speak to his experience? He's still a hunter, he's bound to have seen some weird stuff. Those other two guys though are probably a bit more green.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

My new theory is that he ages two years for every year Araki doesn't.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Tunicate posted:

My new theory is that he ages two years for every year Araki doesn't.

Speaking of Araki, I prefer the theory that he's a Rock Human.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Silver2195 posted:

Speaking of Araki, I prefer the theory that he's a Rock Human.

Togashi fits the profile better, they have to hibernate for months on end, and Jojolion is pretty consistent.

I'm convinced this page is a direct reference to him :v: