Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

XIII posted:

^Came to post that. I've been missing groovy ETID songs. Hoping the the album has more like that.

Agreed - never really got into "From Parts Unknown".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I liked FPU but it's the only time I've ever disliked a Kurt Ballou production job. He took away a lot of what makes ETID sound distinct and turned them into any other intense band that hires him.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

New ETID track is lit as gently caress

God drat I like it a lot. The ending to that song tho

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Wamsutta posted:

New ETID track is lit as gently caress

God drat I like it a lot. The ending to that song tho

yeah seriously, already one of my favorite tracks by them

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Wtf, new track now but album isn't until Sept 23rd? Assholes.

Also, I loved FPU.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I'm in that etid video. Pre ordered the album today. Hype.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Eight Is Legend posted:

Agreed - never really got into "From Parts Unknown".

I think I liked FPU more than Ex Lives. In fact, FPU clicked with me well enough that I was able to go back and enjoy Ex Lives more than I had when it first dropped. But, I'm a weird ETID fan because The Big Dirty is my favorite of their albums.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

How tf don't you idiots like FPU? Jesus.

(New Junk Aesthetic is their best)

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

ShoogaSlim posted:

How tf don't you idiots like FPU? Jesus.

(New Junk Aesthetic is their best)

New Junk Aesthetic is indeed their best. The Big Dirty is up there, too.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

New Junk would probably take the second spot for me. I really like Ex Lives and FPU, but I feel like Legs' drumming style really changed their sound. Ratboy's playing kept things simple and had a groove to it. Seems like Daniel is going to be a good blend of the two.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

I've never really paid much attention to the different drumming styles, but it sorta makes sense that my top two of their current albums (New Junk and FPU) were drummed by the same dude.

I think The Big Dirty is their hands-down worst, and Gutter Phenomenon isn't much better than that. I do happen to love LNIT and HD, though.

The fact that ETID is still pumping out hyper solid tunes after being in the game this long is phenomenal whichever way you look at it.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

ShoogaSlim posted:

I've never really paid much attention to the different drumming styles, but it sorta makes sense that my top two of their current albums (New Junk and FPU) were drummed by the same dude.

I think The Big Dirty is their hands-down worst, and Gutter Phenomenon isn't much better than that. I do happen to love LNIT and HD, though.

The fact that ETID is still pumping out hyper solid tunes after being in the game this long is phenomenal whichever way you look at it.

Nah, New Junk and FPU had different drummers.

LNIT through NJA were drummed by Mike "Ratboy" Novak
Ex Lives and FPU were Ryan "Legs" Leger (added double bass. was more hardcore influenced with faster drum parts)
Low Teens will be Daniel Davison (formerly of Norma Jean and Underoath)

What did you dislike about The Big Dirty? Genuinely curious.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

XIII posted:

Nah, New Junk and FPU had different drummers.

LNIT through NJA were drummed by Mike "Ratboy" Novak
Ex Lives and FPU were Ryan "Legs" Leger (added double bass. was more hardcore influenced with faster drum parts)
Low Teens will be Daniel Davison (formerly of Norma Jean and Underoath)

What did you dislike about The Big Dirty? Genuinely curious.

According to this, you're inaccurate:

I would definitely prefer double-bass hardcore-influenced drumming.

As for The Big Dirty, it just feels like it has no balls. I've seen ETID many times live and they love to play We'rewolf live and it's absolutely the worst song with the most ho-hum chorus. I've always loved ETID's chaotic style like on LNIT. The Big Dirty is like the antithesis of LNIT.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Easy, tiger (see what I did there?), Ratboy recorded the drums for New Junk, but left the band right after. I saw them while they were touring for the album and Legs was there, but wasn't an "official" member yet. Listen to any track off New Junk Aesthetic and then one off Ex Lives and it's immediately apparent that it's not the same person playing.

Here, take it from the big man himself
http://www.metalsucks.net/2009/09/24/every-time-i-dies-andy-williams-with-new-junk-aesthetic-im-finally-happy/

SchwarzeKrieg
Apr 15, 2009
Any of you dudes listening to the new Vanna? You should be listening to the new Vanna.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec4GZiP5XVY

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

SchwarzeKrieg posted:

Any of you dudes listening to the new Vanna? You should be listening to the new Vanna.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec4GZiP5XVY

Aw, poo poo! Been really excited to hear the rest of the album next week. This will make some good tunes to get me through the afternoon.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.
Holy poo poo this thing is loving badass. I thought I didn't like this band. My bad.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY6SLEBM19M

Holy poo poo this new TAIM video is loving intense. :(

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
This is good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqeWPxAqbkE

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

I don't give a poo poo how good a song might be, I simply cannot hear it and watch a lyric video for it simultaneously. Metal lyrics are loving trash beyond belief. I just like angry growling and heavy guitars. Every Time I Die are one of the only bands who don't suck at lyrics and aren't embarrassing as gently caress.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

^Yeah, 99% of metal lyrics are garbage. I just sorta tune them out and focus on the energy behind them. Also agreeing that Keith is a good lyricist.

Beelzebozo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY6SLEBM19M

Holy poo poo this new TAIM video is loving intense. :(

Pro: New TAIM track
Con: I just learned CJ left the band

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Metal lyrics are dumb but I'm just really curious what the metalcore thread considers good lyrics

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

nerve posted:

Metal lyrics are dumb but I'm just really curious what the metalcore thread considers good lyrics

My current vote for line of the year.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Posting about Silent Planet ruffled some feathers earlier, but their lyrics are incredible by metalcore standards. Their new album Everything Was Sound released today and most songs deal with mental illness. And if you want to talk creative, REDIVIDER is actually written as a palindrome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiSx8yb_big

Silent Planet posted:

"I am Autonomous,” You told Father.
First immortal, but now fleeting.
All creation reveals me about this said time, called death, cursed the reverse.
All we bought was brokenness -
That shelter of illusion,

You see me see You splitting myself even.
There is me, forgiving nothing, manic then depressive - helplessly sinking.
Sister Moon, Brother Sun eclipsed one another, forgiving one another.

Tides receding

Death ran away then life flooded in world
This I am: Imbalanced, beautifully so.
Hands connected, perhaps…
Then dead reflections saw You
I did, didn’t I?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I didn't, did I?
You saw reflections dead then,
Perhaps, connected hands…
So beautifully Imbalanced: Am I this
world? In flooded life then away ran Death.

Receding tides

Another one forgiving, another one eclipsed, Sun Brother, Moon Sister
Sinking helplessly - depressive then manic, nothing forgiving me is there
even myself, splitting? You see me see You

Illusion of shelter: That
brokenness was bought, “We all
reverse the cursed death called time.” said this about me. Reveals creation, all-
fleeting, now, but immortal. First
Father told you, “Autonomous am I.”

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

ShoogaSlim posted:

I don't give a poo poo how good a song might be, I simply cannot hear it and watch a lyric video for it simultaneously.

Press play and minimize the window.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwEiXKI5lDk

Seeing these dudes in Chicago with ERRA this weekend. Their second album finally hits tomorrow. This video is pretty dope. Nice drum solo in there. Looking forward to checking them out.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Not 100% of the way through it yet, but I'm really liking the new Vanna album, which comes as no surprise.

SchwarzeKrieg
Apr 15, 2009
Well, poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ugobr5fVuoE

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Last night I was walking past a local venue that plays host to a lot of metal bands and saw some guys loading up their equipment. Struck up a conversation with one of them and it turned out to be JT Cavey, the new frontman for Erra. Super cool dude. When I realized that I'd missed them, I was kinda bummed, but I think he was a little excited that I even knew who they were, considering I wasn't in the area because of the show.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

Rules. So stoked for their full length.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

XIII posted:

Last night I was walking past a local venue that plays host to a lot of metal bands and saw some guys loading up their equipment. Struck up a conversation with one of them and it turned out to be JT Cavey, the new frontman for Erra. Super cool dude. When I realized that I'd missed them, I was kinda bummed, but I think he was a little excited that I even knew who they were, considering I wasn't in the area because of the show.

Oh you mean the guy who ruined both Texas in July and Erra? Stoked.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

ShoogaSlim posted:

Oh you mean the guy who ruined both Texas in July and Erra? Stoked.

Just saw ERRA in Chicago last week, and I can't tell you how wrong this is. He's a vast improvement over Garrison. You have bad opinions.

60 Hertz Jig
May 21, 2006

Beelzebozo posted:

Just saw ERRA in Chicago last week, and I can't tell you how wrong this is. He's a vast improvement over Garrison. You have bad opinions.

Agreed. Though I think Augment is still their best album, Drift rips pretty hard. Someone a while ago mentioned they hoped that Erra wouldn't be 'Sumerian-ified' like Darkest Hour's last album, and I don't think that's the case at all.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country
drat theres a new Despised Icon album out and its loving sick

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I'm liking the new A Night In The Abyss album:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsJqZeA6F-g

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

this is supremely my poo poo, can't wait for the lp

Have some good gym lifts, pretty sure this was linked before
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeD97OKB7sk

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
more new ETID

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY5YoFRUjxs

SchwarzeKrieg
Apr 15, 2009

Dudes could settle down and release something mediocre any time now. It has to be exhausting being this good every time they walk into a studio.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I get more and more stoked for this album with every taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

ETID continue to own, water still wet, etc