Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Solice Kirsk posted:

The Hound, Arya, Pod, and Brienne team up is going to be extremely the poo poo. Think the Hound is gonna hold a grudge against Brienne and vice versa?

Those are basically my favorite surviving characters, for a reason?

Not podrick though, he's got the word prick right in his name and i am jealous of him/it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

syscall girl posted:

Those are basically my favorite surviving characters, for a reason?

Not podrick though, he's got the word prick right in his name and i am jealous of him/it
Yeah if Jaime joins them it's all of them for me.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Yeah if Jaime joins them it's all of them for me.

I have to agree. That is why they will all join up and then a dragon will just eat them and we will be left with Dany.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
Podrick has a magic sword

If he can hit once, he can hit twice

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

I have to agree. That is why they will all join up and then a dragon will just eat them and we will be left with Dany.

you absolute bastard

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
I watched a Preston Jacobs video once and he was going on about how, like, Doran Martell was using a magic candle and bouncing signals off the moon to make Vargo Hoat go insane and cut the hand off of Jaime and stuff and it was like whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa you have schizophrenia fella.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Arcsquad12 posted:

Remember back when Arya's plot was good? Like, for the first four seasons?

Arya really suffered from the lack of Five Year Gap. Her story ended in a perfect place in ASOS and if we picked up with her as an assassin, returning from Bravvos with a bit of a question mark over what she considers her identity to be, with maybe one training montage, it would have been great.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Yeah Arya training, Jon lord commanding, Dany ruling meereen all seem like obvious 5 year gap candidates. I have no idea what they'd have done for Tyrion or king's landing stuff though - maybe Tommen would grow up some and be a real character?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Yeah Arya training, Jon lord commanding, Dany ruling meereen all seem like obvious 5 year gap candidates. I have no idea what they'd have done for Tyrion or king's landing stuff though - maybe Tommen would grow up some and be a real character?

Tyrion could have gone riverboating for five years (felt that long anyway amirite?). I get the feeling that King's Landing was the hardest plotline to write in a 'Cersei's life really sucked for that last five years' sort of way.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Jon snow lord commanding for five years would have seen the most extensive line of fortifications along the wall in history.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Is this Preston idiot pro or anti Varys = Merman?

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Is this Preston idiot pro or anti Varys = Merman?

AGH asking the tough questions

(lol I googled "Varys Merman" and there are shitload of videos and articles on it now because of the Meereen>Dorne trip)

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

visceril posted:

AGH asking the tough questions

(lol I googled "Varys Merman" and there are shitload of videos and articles on it now because of the Meereen>Dorne trip)

The show pretty much confirmed what we've all known.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

The show pretty much confirmed what we've all known.

If it doesn't turn out this way ima be disappoint

have a little fun with the wreckage

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Junkenstein posted:

Arya really suffered from the lack of Five Year Gap. Her story ended in a perfect place in ASOS and if we picked up with her as an assassin, returning from Bravvos with a bit of a question mark over what she considers her identity to be, with maybe one training montage, it would have been great.

But then we wouldn't have the Many faced god information or the fire wyvern things underground and may other mysteries that will never truly be fleshed out but are fascinating.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

SirKibbles posted:

So I got the world of ice & fire from the library and just realized Valyrian steel is literally magical katanas. God drat it nerds.

If you want to get technical it's (magical) Damascus steel. :eng101:

Elias_Maluco posted:

Arya Durden was also an amazing theory. It would have been so much better than what we got

Part of me still wants it to be true. IN the house of black and white I thought it was Arya's face on the wall at first and having the Waif-as-Arya confront the kindly man in full Arya-mode would also explain why he has such an immensely pleased look on his face. Waif trains/studies Arya, learning everything about her, and then replaces her for a long and deep infiltration in to Westeros nobility, wiping out Arya's enemies as part of it while also giving all those names to the Many Faced God.

Then in the series finale we get a shot of Arya returning to the House of Black and White once her work/revenge is finished (which honestly I won't be surprised to see happen regardless) and pulling off Arya's face to reveal the Waif. It would be far, far better than "Arya gets training by the world's best assassins and then leaves, and the assassins are cool with it."

Alternately: Next season she encounters the Hound, they bury the hatchet (in some Freys), then team up to murder a bunch of Freys and Lannisters.

Nothing is a cliche the first time it's done.

But man do I wish every loving nerd with gently caress off with their "dying dream" fan theories about literally everything ever.
http://squallsdead.com/
:colbert:

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
The problem with Arya and just about any theory is that the rules of the House of Black and White are being told to us by unreliable narrators. Do the Faceless Men really give up their identity? Do they really want her to be no one? Do they really want her to kill people without any consideration as to whether she should? That's what they say but maybe the real training is how to maintain your humanity and identity despite the training.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
For that matter, the story about the faceless men causing the Doom: was it an abolitionist movement? Are they just a crazy cult? How did they maintain illusory magic without dragons for so long? Did Red guys take the Fire and these guys take the Blood part of Valyrian Magic? What the gently caress are they? Why does Arya only see only 2, possibly only 1 person the entire time she's there?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
The unreliable narrator can of worms also opens up criticism of the first person narrative of a child whose family was killed, her brother molested her, she was sold into rape slavery, fell in love with her captor, and her family has a legendary medical history of extreme mental illness.

Thank god other POV characters have seen her dragons and poo poo firsthand. I couldn't handle "she's actually in an asylum IMAGINING ALL OF THIS" shitposting.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

The unreliable narrator can of worms also opens up criticism of the first person narrative of a child whose family was killed, her brother molested her, she was sold into rape slavery, fell in love with her captor, and her family has a legendary medical history of extreme mental illness.

Thank god other POV characters have seen her dragons and poo poo firsthand. I couldn't handle "she's actually in an asylum IMAGINING ALL OF THIS" shitposting.

I thought we were still talking about arya so I'm thinking "jon mussed arya's hair" and wondering if I didn't read too far enough into that. Even the mental illness part didn't throw me because telling cersei she's under arrest you have a piece of paper is pretty insane.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

visceril posted:

For that matter, the story about the faceless men causing the Doom: was it an abolitionist movement? Are they just a crazy cult? How did they maintain illusory magic without dragons for so long? Did Red guys take the Fire and these guys take the Blood part of Valyrian Magic? What the gently caress are they? Why does Arya only see only 2, possibly only 1 person the entire time she's there?

There's more than two people in the books, not a lot but the implication seems to be most people are off doing stuff like Jaqen. The show has more than two people too but it forgot that because the director and writer for that episode is bad.

The problem with Arya and just about any theory is that the rules of the House of Black and White are being told to us by unreliable narrators. Do the Faceless Men really give up their identity? Do they really want her to be no one? Do they really want her to kill people without any consideration as to whether she should? That's what they say but maybe the real training is how to maintain your humanity and identity despite the training.

The Faceless men being satisfying as an arc to me depends totally are how these are answered because an assassin group that's existed for hundreds of years should've kicked Arya out by now if she's free to leave. I'd say given the options they gave her for leaving and the guy she stays with as Cat she pretty much has to be being watched most of the time by lookouts if the Faceless men are even half way competent. Besides wouldn't you want to keep tabs are a new recruit anyways?

Honestly the whole Jaqen thing is weird, like he was waiting for her and the door is made of weirwood so who knows

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

If you're not allowed to have any ego as a faceless man then why is "hey that one is known to me I will not give him the gift" a thing you're allowed to say? And at that point what's the exact point of even being known to a faceless man it buys you like twelve seconds as they hash out which of their organization doesn't care about stabbing you and then it happens anyway.

I'm imagining someone who is just out there shaking literally everyone's hand, and introducing himself, all day every day, and somehow he gets literally every faceless man who does wetwork, they all know him and can't give him the gift, but someone is tired of getting their hands shook every day just in case and hires a faceless man and they give it to the recruit as an initiation test so what the gently caress is the goddamn point?

If it was like "hey I know that guy can we refund the contract? thanks" then fine but the whole system exists for literally no reason than to say "oh my friend is a dead man walking? Okay well at least I don't have to be the one to stab them. Thanks I almost had to be a cold assassin with no heart for a second. "

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Krinkle posted:

If you're not allowed to have any ego as a faceless man then why is "hey that one is known to me I will not give him the gift" a thing you're allowed to say? And at that point what's the exact point of even being known to a faceless man it buys you like twelve seconds as they hash out which of their organization doesn't care about stabbing you and then it happens anyway.

I'm imagining someone who is just out there shaking literally everyone's hand, and introducing himself, all day every day, and somehow he gets literally every faceless man who does wetwork, they all know him and can't give him the gift, but someone is tired of getting their hands shook every day just in case and hires a faceless man and they give it to the recruit as an initiation test so what the gently caress is the goddamn point?

If it was like "hey I know that guy can we refund the contract? thanks" then fine but the whole system exists for literally no reason than to say "oh my friend is a dead man walking? Okay well at least I don't have to be the one to stab them. Thanks I almost had to be a cold assassin with no heart for a second. "

In the books, only Jaqen talks like that, because the Jaqen costume is "Jaqen the Lorath" and the Lorathi all talk like that. So I chalk that up to something getting lost in translation.

It could also be to avoid situations where a FM takes a contract, finds that it is someone they know and changes their mind, compromising things. They're still human after all.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Nah, it's just The Gurm not thinking his poo poo through to the obvious conclusion before going to press.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Junkenstein posted:

That could have been fun - you have an assassins POV and it takes you most of the next book to realize it is Arya because of the I am no one stuff.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

kcroy posted:

That could have been fun - you have an assassins POV and it takes you most of the next book to realize it is Arya because of the I am no one stuff.

stop having good ideas about this cursed series

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

syscall girl posted:

stop having good ideas about this cursed series

talent borrows, genius steals.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Dany shits, gurm feasts.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I remember being so amazed by that story as a kid. Then I realized it was a crappy trite scooby doo ending.

jacob's ladder is amazing and has the same reveal.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
yeah, jacob's ladder was really well done. the twist works if the story is good and it fits. problem is most directors and writers don't know how to do it in a way that is satisfying.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

It was all a dream... OR WAS IT ?

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

Remember back when Arya's plot was good? Like, for the first four seasons?

Remember when we were referring to things that happened in the story via books, and not seasons?

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

kcroy posted:

Very true. I guess Gurm felt that he was using that gambit for Reek/Theon, so it wouldn't do for Arya to return as an identity-free assassin as well. Not that the Reek thing wasn't blatantly obvious from the first.

I read Aeron's POV chapter that I had missed and it was...eh. Between Cersei, the Boltons, the Freys, the Sparrows and such, did the story really need one more cartoonishly evil side-threat? The Others should really just chill for a bit and let all of dumb Westeros kill itself, let winter finish off the scraps and win by default at this point. It felt lazy. "Ehhh, Euron needs to be scarier to be a thing this late in the game. So, kid rapist and murderer, owner of Adamantium Armor of Invincibility +5, possible Ctulhu elder god. There, that's a solid semester's writing right there!"

I'll take the Dorne chapters over the Iron Isles subplot any day. Which is not saying much.

It's also funny how the bad (Ahem 'worse') guys command iron loyalty and surf of amazing luck while the rest gets literally beheaded if they piss a drop outside the pot. Banished guy everyine hates returns the day after the king died, drowns a local lord, quarters another and starts throwing his weight around? Eh, whatevs. It's not like his brother is the captian of the local fleet and hates his guts...oh wait, forgot, he's a moron.

Lannisters lose a bunch of battles, including a whole host on the edge of their richest holding? Meh, queue another from the barracks. Crazy queen bungles every deal under the sun in three months' time? Just take a naked walk, status quo, maybe Stannis gets a loan out of it before dying.

For all of the people who bitched about Ramsay's plot armor in the series, the books are far from clan in that regard.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Solice Kirsk posted:

Dany shits, gurm feasts.

fat pink masts and milky rum teats

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Lycus posted:

A lot of Preston's theories are based on the idea that everything is an intentional puzzle and GRRM never introduces irrelevant details or makes mistakes, even if they require insignificant characters and/or imagined motives to make sense.

Basically, Game of Thrones as if it were written by Gene Wolfe.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.

CountFosco posted:

I'd probably donate an organ for this, no joke.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

kcroy posted:

fat pink masts and milky rum teats

trenchers full of gravy, a freak named Sweets

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fleetwood posted:

trenchers full of gravy, a freak named Sweets

The Golden handed man plays funky Dornish beats

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y74IBgLQF4Q

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

CountFosco posted:

please no one ever introduce Preston to Gene Wolfe, we have far more than enough ridiculous BOTNS theories as is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
Has anyone here read A Feast of Ice and Fire?

https://www.amazon.com/Feast-Ice-Fire-Official-Companion/dp/0345534492

I have a friend and she loves game of thrones and she loves cooking and baking but she's also a vegetarian and I'm worried that 90% of all recipes involve a haunch.