Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

I confess I'm moderately concerned.

That's some Final Fantasy IX looking poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

It could be total poo poo but I'd still watch it because its more Berserk. I'm about half way in and I don't think it's terrible.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's a shame the CGI is utter dogshit because that was fairly well done otherwise. Also I guess there's some Susumu in there somewhere going from the next ep preview.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Look out everyone, Gats is going Bzerk!!

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
I dont care how bad the animation looks but it felt really rushed and disjointed. I really wish there was just one adaptation that would tell the whole story instead of 3 that all half tell it

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Keep posting the terrible pictures coming from 4 chan the world must know this madness.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Looked like garbage and was just disorienting to try and watch. Everything happens way too fast, they overuse that 360 camera spin trick beloved by countless 3D mecha stuff, pick's bouts of chibiness really don't translate to the art style, and it also loved doing this dumbshit thing where it abruptly cuts off the music for nearly every plot turn and man did that get old fast.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's really awful as someone who knows what's going on to try and parse that they've slotted in a Schierke knowing Griffith is bad thing immediately, as well as combining Isidro and Puck's introductions as well as combining Jill and Colette while still removing the Lost Children entirely.

I don't know what we gain by having Isidro introduced so early or why they couldn't have just summed up Lost Children/The Count real quick to explain how Guts got his Behelit in this episode and just gone ahead with Conviction next week. This is supposedly scheduled for 24 episodes, so how poorly dragged out is it going to be from here if we're already at Farnese? Are they going to do Millennium Falcon too?

I appreciate that they're trying to make the Dragonslayer come across as the pure slab of iron that it is but I'm not sure that the hollow sounding clangs they went for are at all fitting. I think it really ought to sound "booming". The voice acting's pretty on point overall and OST is pretty good too, some of the slower and more purposefully detailed CGI slots give a really, really good Miura impression but then it just shits on all of that. Guts' walk cycle looks like a PS2 era game, it's just straight bad animation.

All said and done though, I'm in it for better (lol) and worse (yep) because it's Berserk.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It's really awful as someone who knows what's going on to try and parse that they've slotted in a Schierke knowing Griffith is bad thing immediately, as well as combining Isidro and Puck's introductions as well as combining Jill and Colette while still removing the Lost Children entirely.

I don't know what we gain by having Isidro introduced so early or why they couldn't have just summed up Lost Children/The Count real quick to explain how Guts got his Behelit in this episode and just gone ahead with Conviction next week. This is supposedly scheduled for 24 episodes, so how poorly dragged out is it going to be from here if we're already at Farnese? Are they going to do Millennium Falcon too?

I appreciate that they're trying to make the Dragonslayer come across as the pure slab of iron that it is but I'm not sure that the hollow sounding clangs they went for are at all fitting. I think it really ought to sound "booming". The voice acting's pretty on point overall and OST is pretty good too, some of the slower and more purposefully detailed CGI slots give a really, really good Miura impression but then it just shits on all of that. Guts' walk cycle looks like a PS2 era game, it's just straight bad animation.

All said and done though, I'm in it for better (lol) and worse (yep) because it's Berserk.
The most positive thing I had to say about the episode involved how the Dragonslayer sounded. I thought it was great. :shobon:

Vedius Pollio
Sep 11, 2007

Out of a handful of incomplete adaptations and horrible marketing.... You were the only one.... who made me forget the visuals in the manga...

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Harlock posted:

The most positive thing I had to say about the episode involved how the Dragonslayer sounded. I thought it was great. :shobon:

I liked how it sounded up until it actually hit something. The metal groaning noises when Guts started swinging it were great; sounded kinda like the grating of a ship's hull, and reminded me of the noises all the gods make in Asura's Wrath. But the clang noise it made when actually smashing poo poo was terrible, should have been a cannon ball-like BOOM.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Harlock posted:

It could be total poo poo but I'd still watch it because its more Berserk.

Yep

Sakurazuka posted:

It's a shame the CGI is utter dogshit because that was fairly well done otherwise. Also I guess there's some Susumu in there somewhere going from the next ep preview.

The real shame is that it feels like they could do better CGI but they intentionally make it look bad. There's a lot of anime-style CG teams in Japan who do weird styles and effects that don't fit CG at all because they're trying to do what works in anime or something, but if they'd just embrace the fact that its CG it'd look a million times better. But that's all they know or something.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
I've only watched the OP so far and didn't like it. Why is Casca white now.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Its better than Knights of Sidonia.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
me watching berserk 2016

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

I honestly can't tell if it's that the CGI made me feel a little headache-y throughout or if it's that I haven't read the source material in ages (I only just decided to re-read) but that was extremely confusing and disjointed for me, too. It felt like just a bunch of events jumbled together with no real through-line. I dunno. Obviously I'll be watching it all and maybe it can get better. I have another complaint too but I'm not fuckin typing it here because I'll get screamed at for being an S J W :laugh:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Pewdiepie posted:

Its better than Knights of Sidonia.
I have a hard time believing that. Especially considering how high expectations are supposed to be for Berserk compared to a previously obscure work.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Grouchio posted:

They skipped not only Lost Children but Black Swordsman and the Dragon-slayer reveal, whitewashed Casca, and managed to make the animation/editing worse than in the PV. Jesus fuckin-

JESUS CHRIST ON A POGOSTICK

I'd normally say "Taking a shot from an action sequence isn't fair because it's supposed to be fluid" but hooowweeee is it bad to see it in action.
And once again, Casca appears some shades lighter than even her movie rendition, and in this case, one shade darker than Guts. It's so "weird" that Casca seems to get lighter with every incarnation of Berserk.

This is a really bad first outing. The story feels jumbled and the quality of CG seems close to the of RWBY in both action and aesthetic quality. It especially sticks out when you see the beautiful 2D sections that immediately switch back to the poorly crafted 3D ones, and let's not get started on the backgrounds. The scenery felt static in the worst way and barely matched the art style of the people inhabiting the world. And the music. Some of it was good, for example I really enjoyed the opening, but the battle theme and "SUSPENSE!" tracks fell flat.
And I say all of this with a sigh because I will probably be coming back until it just gets to be too much.

e: Finally found a great image via reddit/berserk
(Slight nipple):nws: https://i.redd.it/g6u2nyobzn6x.png

Postal Parcel fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 1, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm waiting until Casca appears in the show in real lighting and not weird flashbacks or the OP before condemning the show for making her white, though signs point towards it already. hosed up if they've done that.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

I honestly can't tell if it's that the CGI made me feel a little headache-y throughout or if it's that I haven't read the source material in ages

There were definitely parts where the motion of the 3D models made me a little queasy.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Ha, phew. I told a few people that it was making me feel weird and no one else seemed to be able to relate. I get motion sickness really easily so maybe that's it?

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
So we lost Wyald and the Black Dog Knights completely, and we got a shitload of Puck being wacky and "cute" instead. That ain't right. I understand he brought some super dark poo poo to the table, but still, talk about compromising your story... Does anyone actually like Puck trying to be cute?

I understand the show had to cut corners for the sake of compressing time, but less apostles and more cute is not a good thing, in my opinion.

Also, does anyone else think the new "battle music" doesn't fit at all with the theme of Berserk? It sounds like stock metal music, and lacks the emotion of the original show's score. For example, the "camping with Puck" scene has some garbage jazzy filler music that has no place in the Berserk world, it's jokey and silly. It's dumb.

The music in the original show was well suited to each scene. Maintaining the "tone" of the Berserk world is very important, and I feel like the new show doesn't know what its "tone" should be.

And for a manga that features some of the most gorgeous artwork in the business, they sure are aggressively pushing the "cell shaded" look. Colette and her dad looked and moved like they were made out of wood.

Plus, what does it say about the overall quality of the show when they let stuff like this (and other examples, posted above) slide in their first episode?

I dunno guys, I'm a bit worried.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jul 1, 2016

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I don't know if this is the role or job of the new adaptation - but if you hadn't been familiar with the manga or previous movies/anime - you'd have no fuckin idea what's going on.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Berserk anime sounds like one big substitution jutsu. Karap.

I hate having to watch these things just to see if they captured some important dramatic element. There was at least one of those in the movies, but it's been so long I don't remember what it was.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Berserk anime sounds like one big substitution jutsu. Karap.

I hate having to watch these things just to see if they captured some important dramatic element. There was at least one of those in the movies, but it's been so long I don't remember what it was.

The bit where Guts and Casca finally get it on in the third movie was p good if I recall

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
rename the thread "Oh, Tonio! He was a good man..."

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Well it wasn't as bad as I was expecting from the earlier posts. And the weird smear-frame of Guts was mercifully hidden away in a shaky stylized sequence.

What I can't tell is if the Japanese have no understanding off offsetting animation (extremely unlikely) or if they just don't want to budget for it, so everyone moves like an action figure 90% of the time. And, yea, the editing was all over the place. It seemed to slow down later on, but the first half was almost a scramble to see the frame before it jump cut again.

Biggest issue for me was that they never animate expression in the eyes. People are generally corpses from nose up.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
On a happier note, here's a lil' something for all of you (approximately zero people) who were holding out for a "less ugly and not translated from a Korean translation"-scanlation of the ol' serkyber.

http://www.evil-genius.us/2016/07/berserk-344/

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

The particle effects were terrible. I actually cracked up at the red orbs flying out when the trees were eating the bandits. Whoever said this feels like a video game from 2 generations ago was right.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

DrManiac posted:

The particle effects were terrible. I actually cracked up at the red orbs flying out when the trees were eating the bandits. Whoever said this feels like a video game from 2 generations ago was right.

Honestly that comparison is being unfair. To the video games. 2 gens ago would be PS2 era and there are some pretty drat good-looking late PS2 titles out there.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

LordMune posted:

On a happier note, here's a lil' something for all of you (approximately zero people) who were holding out for a "less ugly and not translated from a Korean translation"-scanlation of the ol' serkyber.

http://www.evil-genius.us/2016/07/berserk-344/

It's amazing how much more comprehensible this becomes with a good translation. Thank you so much!

It's weird to think this whole plotline might actually get resolved in a few more chapters (several years from now). We've had crazy Caska for like what, 20 years now?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I'm rereading through and I'm on the boat! So close to new content!

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
i sort of get why they skipped the count arc and the bee arc, they didn't want to dwell on guts' year-long campaign slaughtering apostles, and wanted to get into guts' slow recovery into a functional human. super early guts felt like a prototype for the character, that was successfully explored in the golden age

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Blood and Guts and Guts and Blood and Blood and Guts and Guts and Blood

New anime wasn't quite as bad as you all made me think it was gonna be, pretty much like the golden age OVA, maybe just a little better. Or maybe I'm just sick of that part of the story. Anyways, its more Berserk, I'll take it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0ZhlVQ370c

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Blood and Guts and Guts and Blood and Blood and Guts and Guts and Blood

New anime wasn't quite as bad as you all made me think it was gonna be, pretty much like the golden age OVA, maybe just a little better. Or maybe I'm just sick of that part of the story. Anyways, its more Berserk, I'll take it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0ZhlVQ370c

I don't think it's the worst thing ever, just disappointing. Especially compared to the stellar jojo anime airing now that perfectly captures everything good about the series.

Hopefully it gets better.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

i sort of get why they skipped the count arc and the bee arc, they didn't want to dwell on guts' year-long campaign slaughtering apostles, and wanted to get into guts' slow recovery into a functional human. super early guts felt like a prototype for the character, that was successfully explored in the golden age

The count stuff, sure, but the Lost Children arc takes place after the Golden Age, and is an important character beat since it shows how he's regressed thanks to the Eclipse and all that's come after. I think it would have been a better idea to start off showing Guts at his most brutal, his fight with Rosine being a great example of such.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Genocyber posted:

The count stuff, sure, but the Lost Children arc takes place after the Golden Age, and is an important character beat since it shows how he's regressed thanks to the Eclipse and all that's come after. I think it would have been a better idea to start off showing Guts at his most brutal, his fight with Rosine being a great example of such.

I suspect that would just take too long, unless you crush it to a pulp and confuse the audience further. Alternatively, it could work if you start in media res, just make him pop up surrounded by the corpses of children, and simply not revisit it, just imply how much of a monster Guts has become since the Golden Age. Then run the rest of episode 1 more or less as is.

The count arc is still important to hammer home the significance of sacrifice. The count, for all his faults, simply could not do it. On the other hand, I seriously doubt his daughter is coming back as a character.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Let's all laugh together http://kotaku.com/the-new-berserk-anime-already-outshines-the-90s-origina-1782990737

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Man, everything that lady has written has been real bad. Outside of bad kotaku posts, that first episode left a real bad taste in my mouth. The music selection is really poor. Using butt metal for fight scenes is incredibly tone deaf with what the forrest scene is supposed to be conveying. Its not this big gently caress yeah moment, but one of somber horror.

The pacing is really weird too. I can understand introducing Farneese and Serpico, but the time we spent loving around with Isidiro and Schierke could have been used better. I appreciate they spent time showing that the dragonslayer rules, but that fight looked bad. Just about everything looked bad.

Stuff with casca also rubs me the wrong way. She's gotten lighter everytime she shows up, and they cut to her worst moment in the eclipse more than necessary, especially for something that assumes you know what happened prior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I miss Guts' old japanese VA :(

edit: also the new anime should have had an understated ad campaign like the original

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g5uPsKDGYg

Good soup! fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jul 2, 2016