Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Avshalom posted:

i'm a jew

shalom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

paradoxGentleman posted:

I want to recommend Hitmen for Destiny as well.
Whoever made it may not be the greatest artist but he really is a good storyteller.

Have you read his other webcomics? His current one, Trixie for President, is really enjoyable too (and has its own thread), although Hitmen for Destiny still feels like his best work.

It took me a while to warm up to the art, but it actually matches the weirdness of the stories really well.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
don't you wish peace on me you crafty finn i am a virgin maid

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
why are there no jewish webcomics.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

PleasingFungus posted:

why are there no jewish webcomics.

Searching the web for "jewish webcomics", the first result I got was "Billy the Heretic - The Bad Webcomics Wiki".

But hey, I got other results too!

quote:

Joseph and Yusra is a Muslim Jewish Manga webcomic about a Jewish boy and Muslim girl who are best friends with psychic powers.(✿◠‿◠)

quote:

Graphic Therapy: Notes from the Gap Years is the illustrated diary of a single Jewish artist making her own way through life, work, and psychoanalysis.

quote:

Hereville is the story of an Orthodox Jewish girl who fights a troll.

Enjoy!

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
our influence doesn't extend to the webcomic sphere yet but we're working on it, starting with my marriage to aaron diaz at the stroke of midnight today/tomorrow and then there's something about absurd alhazred dressing up as a nun to infiltrate the deviantart headquarters, i didn't get time to study the memo

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Avshalom posted:

our influence doesn't extend to the webcomic sphere yet but we're working on it, starting with my marriage to aaron diaz at the stroke of midnight today/tomorrow and then there's something about absurd alhazred dressing up as a nun to infiltrate the deviantart headquarters, i didn't get time to study the memo

rip avs

webcomics are serious business

and you shouldn't have fun on comedy forums

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
A while ago I read a very short comic about a girl whose father was sick so she had to go out and perform an annual ritual to kill the devil. I remember there was a knife and a light. Anyone know the name?

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Esme posted:

A while ago I read a very short comic about a girl whose father was sick so she had to go out and perform an annual ritual to kill the devil. I remember there was a knife and a light. Anyone know the name?

drat, I just read that a short while ago, and I was sure I got the link in here, but I just went back like 4 months and didn't see it. The tags are too generic for a decent google search.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

By the by, you guys really need to update your descriptions next thread you make, Shortpacked is described as not yet having turned into a weird dramafest in the second post.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Esme posted:

It had something to do with keys iirc.

LIMBO KING
May 3, 2006

Esme posted:

De Weg Van Mijn Vader

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

Thank you! And thanks to Pyroclastic and Hogge Wild for trying.

I read the other stuff on his site this time too - it's pretty enjoyable, even if he does draw freaky, double-jointed horses.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
The archive doesn't appear to have dates, so I'll ask: what is going on with Ava's Demon? Her tumblr says shipping the books is taking a huge toll--are updates planned to start back up once that ends?

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

1/6,000,000,000

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Rusty & Co. just had the most amazing hover text.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Today's Poppy features variants of adorable at complete opposite ends of the spectrum.

Confirmation of what pretty much everyone knew at this point, that Friedrich Ricky is the Most Dad.

Also I can't say I expected him to conscript the goofy rat burglars.

Also a decent excuse for me to talk about something related: After doing a full reread of Poppy recently, Morbi you're doing a real good job on the plotting end of things. It can't possibly be easy to maintain good flow on a longform comic like this, but the story beats are really crystal clear for an archive reader: the chapters simultaneously manage to be very slice of life one shots while still advancing the overarching plot thread of "Poppy's personal connection to the Queen slowly draws her into the orbit of Momentous poo poo, despite her unambitious intentions" in a very logical and believable fashion. Can't wait to see where things go from here because I get the impression that what we've seen so far has only been setting the stage.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jul 2, 2016

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
That cap over her ears is just way too good.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
I never expected my three favorite throwaway characters to return, but I am very glad they did. :3:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Elysiume posted:

The archive doesn't appear to have dates, so I'll ask: what is going on with Ava's Demon? Her tumblr says shipping the books is taking a huge toll--are updates planned to start back up once that ends?

Does it ever update? A friend of mine got me to read it a while back and then like, for months there was nothing. It updated a bit then went on hiatus again so I stopped bothering. It looks really pretty but it's reaching Berserk levels of loving nothing without the crazy long archive.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Nuebot posted:

Does it ever update? A friend of mine got me to read it a while back and then like, for months there was nothing. It updated a bit then went on hiatus again so I stopped bothering. It looks really pretty but it's reaching Berserk levels of loving nothing without the crazy long archive.

It's another victim of couldn't-handle-the-Kickstarter. Hopefully she'll go back to updating once she's done with all the book printing stuff.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
She has had two massive updates during the hiatus, but nothing in a while.

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND

Captain Oblivious posted:

Today's Poppy features variants of adorable at complete opposite ends of the spectrum.

Confirmation of what pretty much everyone knew at this point, that Friedrich Ricky is the Most Dad.

Also I can't say I expected him to conscript the goofy rat burglars.

Also a decent excuse for me to talk about something related: After doing a full reread of Poppy recently, Morbi you're doing a real good job on the plotting end of things. It can't possibly be easy to maintain good flow on a longform comic like this, but the story beats are really crystal clear for an archive reader: the chapters simultaneously manage to be very slice of life one shots while still advancing the overarching plot thread of "Poppy's personal connection to the Queen slowly draws her into the orbit of Momentous poo poo, despite her unambitious intentions" in a very logical and believable fashion. Can't wait to see where things go from here because I get the impression that what we've seen so far has only been setting the stage.

Maintaining a balance between being fast-paced enough not to drag for the active update readers, but not so fast-paced that scenes seem to whizz by for the archival readers is one of those unique hurdles nobody tells you about before you start making a webcomic.
Sometimes I wish I was a one-person writing/drawing machine so I could update ten pages a week and decompress the plot a bit, but you have to know where your limits lie.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Morbi posted:

Maintaining a balance between being fast-paced enough not to drag for the active update readers, but not so fast-paced that scenes seem to whizz by for the archival readers is one of those unique hurdles nobody tells you about before you start making a webcomic.
Sometimes I wish I was a one-person writing/drawing machine so I could update ten pages a week and decompress the plot a bit, but you have to know where your limits lie.

If it makes you feel any better, I think you've hit a solid point in terms of letting the characters and plot breathe.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
That's why the author of Unsounded will sometimes go "three pages today, no updates until next week" as a way to make action scenes flow better for serial readers.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

From the 'weird/awesome fanart' thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3683299&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=413#post461658622

(more therein)

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
altered frontier's been pretty good lately, though no recent page jumps out at me as exemplary on its own

this is as good an example of the art as any

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Going back and rereading the first chapter of Poppy, I noticed that the possum goddess' eyes do the same ring thing Poppy's did when Poppy was staring down the third favorite wife. Pretty cool. I wonder if that's just code for rage, or if there's something more to it, like a possum thing or a lucky star thing. I can't think of anyone who has done it other than Poppy.

Also, do we know if Possums can have lucky star powers? I assume that the anti-magic thing means they can't, but I'm not completely sure.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Wittgen posted:

Going back and rereading the first chapter of Poppy, I noticed that the possum goddess' eyes do the same ring thing Poppy's did when Poppy was staring down the third favorite wife. Pretty cool. I wonder if that's just code for rage, or if there's something more to it, like a possum thing or a lucky star thing. I can't think of anyone who has done it other than Poppy.

Also, do we know if Possums can have lucky star powers? I assume that the anti-magic thing means they can't, but I'm not completely sure.

Sort of an ongoing mystery. Poppy's super strength is pretty explicitly VERY NOT NORMAL but we still have no idea where it comes from exactly. I get the impression it's not a Lucky Star because like you said, anti-magic but... :shrug:

And yeah the eye rings I read as "200% mad". Interesting though that that shows up in the creation story.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jul 3, 2016

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Don't forget, it's kind of a crapshoot whether or not possum immunity will work against a Lucky Star. Kit's eyes are blocked, as was Ewe-Lala's disguise, but Boris' superstrength wasn't affected at all by Poppy.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Maybe the April fools thing was secretly partially true: Mary isn't Madana Mystara, but Poppy is the incarnation of the possum goddess.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Captain Bravo posted:

Don't forget, it's kind of a crapshoot whether or not possum immunity will work against a Lucky Star. Kit's eyes are blocked, as was Ewe-Lala's disguise, but Boris' superstrength wasn't affected at all by Poppy.

I think that's kind of a function of who the Lucky Star acts upon. Boris' Star acts upon himself, to make him big and strong, rather than acting directly upon another person. Ewe-Lala charms people directly, and Kit's eyes likewise need to interact with the person themself. When there's an intermediary step antimagic doesn't do much.

Much like Fazzi didn't need to bend Poppy herself.

KittyEmpress posted:

Maybe the April fools thing was secretly partially true: Mary isn't Madana Mystara, but Poppy is the incarnation of the possum goddess.

I definitely think there's gonna be some kind of parallel. The Possum Goddess' beef with the gods was their refusal to allow mortals free will, and this Specter of Fate who seems to be getting set up as an antagonist definitely seems to be disdainful of the concept of free will based on Poda's shpiel. I could be reaching though.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 3, 2016

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

I think that's kind of a function of who the Lucky Star acts upon. Boris' Star acts upon himself, to make him big and strong, rather than acting directly upon another person. Ewe-Lala charms people directly, and Kit's eyes likewise need to interact with the person themself. When there's an intermediary step antimagic doesn't do much.

Much like Fazzi didn't need to bend Poppy herself.
Yeah, Fazzi's magic doesn't work on Poppy, but her casts are still vulnerable.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Poppy is a good webcomic, after a reread I noticed a lot of things I glossed over the first time.

http://www.poppy-opossum.com/comic/poppy-3-page-36/ shame cube in panel one

Grognan fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 3, 2016

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

In today's Badnix, this is basically the textbook definition of "Sudden, but inevitable, betrayal".

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

This is just not Rog's day.

I guess technically it's a step up, since Hud just wants to wipe the data and reboot, whereas Number was going to brick the cartridge and maybe the system it's running in.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Tollymain posted:

altered frontier's been pretty good lately, though no recent page jumps out at me as exemplary on its own

Aw, thanks :) . I'm finishing up the chapter tomorrow and I've been getting some good feedback on it.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

The latest Friedrich Intermission page over at Poppy confirms that life everywhere is a soap opera.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

neogeo0823 posted:

The latest Friedrich Intermission page over at Poppy confirms that life everywhere is a soap opera.

I'm most curious about what exactly Friedrich has them infiltrating.

My first guess would be Chicadino's Estate, tbh. He's the newly appointed Prime Minister of necessity, being able to remedy the Dragon's Blood shortage situation, but neither Kit nor Friedrich are fools. I'm sure that, to varying degrees, they both realize that Chicadino isn't completely on the up and up. Having the Rodents investigate the place pre-emptively seems like the kind of thing that Friedrich would do to protect the Queen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I'm most curious about what exactly Friedrich has them infiltrating.

My first guess would be Chicadino's Estate, tbh. He's the newly appointed Prime Minister of necessity, being able to remedy the Dragon's Blood shortage situation, but neither Kit nor Friedrich are fools. I'm sure that, to varying degrees, they both realize that Chicadino isn't completely on the up and up. Having the Rodents investigate the place pre-emptively seems like the kind of thing that Friedrich would do to protect the Queen.

he walked right past Kit's guarded lab to the room the mice are chewing a hole in the wall of.

• Locked thread