Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lobus
Jun 24, 2016

What happened here?
:parrot:

Quaid start the reactor!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Streetroller
Jun 11, 2016

So, as an update to my journey getting a refund, here's some documented shenanigans.

Paypal recently closed my claims, issuing the following statement:

Directly following, my complaint to the BBB received the following response:

The fact that these two statements directly contradict one another is important, me thinks.
I dunno ...

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Samizdata posted:

I have to admit, part of me does like the super-fidelitous part suggested. I would like to be able to learn to hack my ship. "What if I jack the fuel flow to the reactor core? What if I boot the dust injectors to the particle cannon?", instead of bog standard parts. Of course, I also love breaking games, so there's that too.

There's a new space game called 3001SQ that has programmable ships and components. They're begging for coins on ks at the moment.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Bubbacub posted:

Having played lots of games in the 90s, I kinda get it. But I played TIE Fighter before I played Wing Commander, so the ultra-repetitive gameplay felt uninspired, even back then. I do remember being amazed by FMV cutscenes, though.

WC1 came four years before that — plenty of time for the fandom/hatedom split to develop. Also, unlike WC, TIE Fighter was occasionally complex and challenging, which obviously drove away some players who were into Chris' smoothed-out experience. :cheeky:

Lobus
Jun 24, 2016

What happened here?

Streetroller posted:

So, as an update to my journey getting a refund, here's some documented shenanigans.

The fact that these two statements directly contradict one another is important, me thinks.
I dunno ...

You will surely get the refund

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

ZenMaster posted:

What? That's the static animation for an SC player hovering in space. It's perfect.

Mocap, even

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Lobus posted:

Quaid start the reactor!

TWOAH WUEEEKS

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
Also HA if Crobberts is actually building a set at Imaginarium after the years of people justifying the cost of his FOUR personal motion capture studios as "Well Imaginarium is expensive! Now he can do the work on his own for way cheaper!" Surely he isn't a terrible manager that would look at the terrible motion capture and blame it on the equipment and then go get more expensive equipment to re-shoot the motion capture. Surely.

If it really does cost 20,000,000+ to get in there I wonder if he had to pay that the second time.

Calling it as Citizen Con when people realize he is taking them all for a ride to make another terrible movie. They are obligated to show off all this work they are supposedly doing, and they are supposedly only doing Squadron 42 motion capture / non gameplay work.

Fat Shat Sings fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jul 2, 2016

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

orcinus posted:

I like the sound of that.
Definitely will give it a go.

Semi-unrelated... does anyone remember the name of a novel/story/novelette based on a single gimmick premise - that it's the physical items (tools, weapons, vehicles) that get better with use, instead of humans using them. Essentially, a universe in which items level up, not humans. It dealt with the societal and economic issues stemming from that premise (like rich people paying ”dirty peasants” to level up their items etc.).

I can't even remember the author, but it sounds vaguely Neal Stephensonish.

Hope you like it.

I'm trying to find an online military sci-fi 'short-story.' The premise is that there is a soldier fighting in a war between humans and alien bugs. The only element which I remember was that everyone was given a watch which kept perfect time in every environment. I read this years ago and am trying to find it again.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Streetroller posted:

"takebacks"

lmao who wrote this poo poo.

Lobus
Jun 24, 2016

What happened here?

orcinus posted:

TWOAH WUEEEKS

Streetroller
Jun 11, 2016

Lobus posted:

You will surely get the refund

Doubtful, they're telling the BBB one thing while actively fighting my refunds on Paypal

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:

Streetroller posted:

Doubtful, they're telling the BBB one thing while actively fighting my refunds on Paypal

You'll get a refund for whats left that they haven't spent on furniture, espresso machines, worldwide offices, and giant murals: Zero dollars.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
I don't know about you guys but going from "Full refunds if you are unhappy for any reason, and our financials after we are two years late because you would obviously deserve them" to "Alright we are going to start denying refunds selectively" to "We will fight you everywhere we can, however we can and are releasing a TOS that is downright orwellian" really boosts my confidence in the project.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Space sims are my favorite genre of game. I've played them extensively.

Freespace 2 is

i am summoned

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Youtube posted:

Finally, whether one chooses to believe it or not, this post is coming from someone who has supported development in an amount north of $500 since... I want to say 2014? Might have been 2013, but I don't think so. And that's just ships; I don't even have a Game Package that would let me play regularly (yet!).

:psyduck:

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Streetroller posted:

I dunno ...

Best of luck. Send the CIG?RSI response to Paypal, and vice-versa. Threaten CIG/RSI with opening a court case (include full address information of your local court) to reclaim your funds based on CIG/RSI's different narratives between Paypal and themselves ("merchandise was delivered" vs "early game modules", no release date), forcing new TOS on you, changing contract from CIG to RSI (include receipt), and that you'll enjoy throwing them in court - if anything the publicity would be intriguing.

Meanwhile: "since our latest release in Dec. 2015 alone, 300,000 backers have enjoyed 1.5 million hours of gameplay with these early game modules" - only 300k backers have tested the janky alphas? Averaging 5hr each?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Pete. Come on. Take it easy. There's no reason to get this worked up over a video game. Think of your blood pressure. Just relax man.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
no take-backsies!

Lazrin
Apr 13, 2016

THEN HE SAID..NO WAIT, LISTEN. THEN HE SAID 3.0 IS COMING OUT BY DEC 19TH 2016
:laffo:
smart is such an imbecile and you are all fools for following him and hanging on his every word

lol, he has you sucking his cock with every made up word he says

he is a demented old man, socially broken in every way

you know what's funny about this thread? it only still exists because you all fear the possibility that everything might just turn out fine.

enjoy.

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE
At this point I think Chris would have legitimately been better off if he had just made SQ42 with FMV. Really embraced it, you know? At least then there would be something.

Edit: I am preemptively VERY DISAPPOINTED in everyone who takes that painfully low effort bait

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Lazrin posted:

smartcrobbers is such an imbecile and you are all fools for following him and hanging on his every word

lol, he has you sucking his cock with every made up word jpg he says sells

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jul 2, 2016

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Lazrin posted:

smart is such an imbecile and you are all fools for following him and hanging on his every word

you know what's funny about this thread? it only still exists because you all fear the possibility that everything might just turn out fine.

enjoy.

What do you mean, it already did turn out fine. We're already playing Star Marine and Squadron 42 from when they were released in 2015 as promised, and we look forward to SC's beta release later this year!

"Coming up in 2015, we will launch the FPS module, multicrew ships, the initial planetside/social experience and the first episode of the Squadron 42 single player adventure!"

:laffo:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Lazrin posted:

enjoy.

thanks sandi

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:

Lazrin posted:

enjoy.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Hi, I stopped reading this thread many moons ago causer it got dumber instead of funnier.

I just wanted to point out that EightAce mentioned CIG would be closing up by July 1st of this year, 2016, and put it in my phones calendar...

Well, what happened?

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Lazrin posted:

enjoy.
Buxw nwkrsiqb.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Skoll posted:

Hi, I stopped reading this thread many moons ago causer it got dumber instead of funnier.

I just wanted to point out that EightAce mentioned CIG would be closing up by July 1st of this year, 2016, and put it in my phones calendar...

Well, what happened?
Where'd your racist avatar go?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Beet Wagon posted:

:pgabz: they're definitely calling every assassin they know right now.

You really stepped in it this time commando

No worries about :pgabz:, he's so pissed he will tear through them faster than a content locust through SC, and with about as much difficulty.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Lazrin posted:

enjoy.

thanks for your $10 donation for the cause sperg, have a good stay here

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

trucutru posted:

He's sadly too busy enjoying these beautiful summer days and having sex with models to grace us with his presence.

Don't forget munching on steak and interesting salads too!

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

thatguy posted:

Where'd your racist avatar go?

Which one? I don't think I've had one for like a year or so.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Skoll posted:

Well, what happened?

pretty sure he said 2017

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

A Neurotic Jew posted:

pretty sure he said 2017

Feel free to check his post history and confirm, because I am far too lazy.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Skoll posted:

Feel free to check his post history and confirm, because I am far too lazy.

ok

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748466&userid=216469&perpage=40&pagenumber=12#post458906244

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ok, see you in a year, SC thread.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Lazrin posted:

enjoy.
why would we fear the game turning out fine? we would just play the game

oh do you think we won't because of our crippling eshame from being wrong? lol

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Skoll posted:

Well, what happened?

EightAce lied

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Ash1138 posted:

why would we fear the game turning out fine? we would just play the game

oh do you think we won't because of our crippling eshame from being wrong? lol

This, we legit can't lose.

The game comes out and it's everything CR promised it to be? Then we will play it and have fun.

The 'game' continues to be an absolute train wreck of comedy and fraud? Then we watch it unravel and have fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
Remember those people upgrading their PCs and building huge cockpit things for SC like 2/3 years ago?

hahahaha

• Locked thread