Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Also am I the only one who really disliked SHIFTing being made visible in ZTD (and how it was depicted)?

Yeah I kinda agree with this. Although if we are going by the assumption that what we see is what Zero sees, it kinda makes sense that he would be able to see another consciousness travel into somebody's mind.

Even still, they would have been better off showing it with a look of realization or w/e, better than a floating blue ball of light.

I feel like Eric kinda deserves a bit of a break. He's a traumatized dude with attachment issues in a very intense situation, of course he would crack under the slightest bit of pressure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Baal posted:

Her voice acting was loving awful though

I've only heard a few snippets of the English dub, but even from them Akane sadly has the worst delivery by far.

All the other voices seem okay, though Sean sounds very girlish to me.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Eric definitely deserved a break. In fact, he had dozens of mental breaks in the span of just a few hours!

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

NRVNQSR posted:

I think it's tough to get an actual child to be a good voice actor, especially considering the nature of the script. I recognized that, but I also thought it was girlish enough to possibly be Carlos' sister.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

the truth posted:

I think it's tough to get an actual child to be a good voice actor, especially considering the nature of the script. I recognized that, but I also thought it was girlish enough to possibly be Carlos' sister.

The first time I got an "Input Q's name" prompt I actually did try "Maria"

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i thought Sean was supposed to sound androgynous so you wouldn't be 100% sure to their gender

even in the japanese i would have bought that he was a girl

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Arrrthritis posted:

I feel like Eric kinda deserves a bit of a break. He's a traumatized dude with attachment issues in a very intense situation, of course he would crack under the slightest bit of pressure.

Even when Eric was being a violent rear end in a top hat I just felt kinda bad for him. Really, the best thing to happen for him would be for him to be separated from Mira entirely and get some proper therapy, but since that doesn't happen in the epilogue, dude's probably still hosed. :smith:

Cake Attack posted:

i thought Sean was supposed to sound androgynous so you wouldn't be 100% sure to their gender

even in the japanese i would have bought that he was a girl

isn't Sean referred to as "he" within like five minutes of screentime though?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I never said I outright liked her, but she's more of a character in this game than VLR where she's just a lovely grand scheming mastermind who even Junpei gets sick of dealing with. The moment in the Ambidex room where she's super confident about them being okay was actually a really great moment and her trying to be cute as both Junpei and Carlos completely sandbag her is great. She's alright in 999 alright too because you can see from how lovely her situation was and could feel for her a bit, but the scenario she set up was still incredibly lovely and put her in a not stellar light.

NRVNQSR posted:

I've only heard a few snippets of the English dub, but even from them Akane sadly has the worst delivery by far.

I'd honestly say Junpei and Mira suck too because a little of their delivery is insanely stilted and bored sounding. Like I get Mira is supposed to be emotionless but she sounds bored half of the time even when she shows emotion and Junpei always sounds bored until he has to show bursts of emotion, which he actually sounds alright during.

Akane though, Christ. Whenever she has to be angry or emotional she just sounds awful. Even when she's normally talking a lot of the delivery is so stilted and flat. I really don't know how Sigma's so good sounding and yet there are such poor performances in here. Sigma gives out one of the most soul crushing cries after Phi burns in the incinerator, but Akane sounds like she just dropped her ice cream when she's lamenting Junpei's death.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Baal posted:

I'd honestly say Junpei and Mira suck too because a little of their delivery is insanely stilted and bored sounding. Like I get Mira is supposed to be emotionless but she sounds bored half of the time even when she shows emotion and Junpei always sounds bored until he has to show bursts of emotion, which he actually sounds alright during.

Akane though, Christ. Whenever she has to be angry or emotional she just sounds awful. Even when she's normally talking a lot of the delivery is so stilted and flat. I really don't know how Sigma's so good sounding and yet there are such poor performances in here. Sigma gives out one of the most soul crushing cries after Phi burns in the incinerator, but Akane sounds like she just dropped her ice cream when she's lamenting Junpei's death.

I like Junpei's voice, but I feel like his delivery did only work like half the time. Mira was eh overall but she was absolutely fantastic in her monologue in the crossbow ending where it really counted.

I didn't hate Akane's voice but yeah she's probs the weakest of the bunch.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

NRVNQSR posted:

Behind the Voice Actors posted:

Akane Kurashiki

Voiced by: Rena Strober

Somehow, everything makes more sense now.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah I would say the monologue was actually pretty good. I actally do wanna say that uhh, Carlos and Sean's voices I liked a lot even if they're not like amazing acting. I feel like they hit the characters very well and give a unique voice to them too. I like how out of sorts Sean sounds for a lot of the game and even if some of the delivery on Carlos isn't amazing it's definitely a voice of strong character with some chinks in his armor personality.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
There's a part of me that thinks that Carlos was originally going to be Aoi Kurashiki, but was changed to an all-american hero guy so that newcomers would have someone to get explanatory dialogue from. His and Aoi's backstories are pretty drat similar in the sense that they would go through hell for their sister in order to save them from an inferno. That being said I still liked Carlos, especially for this shot they did with him.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

carlos isn't super well fleshed out, but he's so chiseled and american i can't help but like him

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Me and Carlos are bros

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I actually like that Carlos is just a genuinely good dude. We so rarely see someone who is just a good person it feels nice coming off of VLR where one of the characters was just a bad person.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Arrrthritis posted:

There's a part of me that thinks that Carlos was originally going to be Aoi Kurashiki, but was changed to an all-american hero guy so that newcomers would have someone to get explanatory dialogue from. His and Aoi's backstories are pretty drat similar in the sense that they would go through hell for their sister in order to save them from an inferno. That being said I still liked Carlos, especially for this shot they did with him.

Considering how many timelines involve Akane and Junpei not trusting/trying to kill Carlos, I don't think you could replace him with Santa without rewriting basically all of C-Team's story. It'd also break the trend of having the PoV characters be newcomers.

Baal posted:

I actually like that Carlos is just a genuinely good dude. We so rarely ssomeone who is just a good person it feels nice coming off of VLR where one of the characters was just a bad person.

:yeah:

It's a lot of what I liked about Luna, too.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Gab forever.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
The secret of ZTD is that the religious fanatic is actually Cobra Commander, and Crash Keys is the beginnings of what would eventually become G.I. Joe.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I loving died laughing that the route no one dies on the first character the villain thinks to kill is the dog everyone loves.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

If someone could make an emote of a bloodied carlos crying in front of an american flag i would be the happiest dude.

Baal posted:

I loving died laughing that the route no one dies on the first character the villain thinks to kill is the dog everyone loves.

Same. Of course the friendly dog had to die at some point.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

What was Eric's little brother named? I thought it was Sean so when the name came up again was kind of startled.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

chris

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm p sure it was Chris

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

While I think it's clever that every single choice made in the game is actually made by Delta and not the player, I think it's kind of boring how they just stuck with SHIFTING from VLR as the primary supernatural power aspect.

Maybe it would have just been retarded or whatever but I was convinced when Carlos pulled his whole fake-rape crap that it was a "?" situation where some unknown figure had hijacked Carlos' consciousness and that, that'd end up playing into why people made the bad choices but claimed it wasn't them and all that. That whole thing felt so pointless since Delta is just like "yeah I knew you'd do that" immediately after Carlos explains what really happened there.

Also for some reason anytime they show Carlos with the axe after he killed Akane, in the video feed I swear he has like an evil crazed look on him. Which I don't recall him having at all in the scene proper.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Chris, gotcha. I got to the "input the helmet code" first and thought it would be some shocking reveal that it was his bros reanimated corpse or something

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Chris, gotcha. I got to the "input the helmet code" first and thought it would be some shocking reveal that it was his bros reanimated corpse or something

I was actually kind of annoyed at that scene since after you input it right you get the "Schrödinger's box" achievement and I was expecting for him to actually be someone and not a robot in this timeline, but no they just wanted to make a reference achievement even though that's not a Schrödinger's thing at all.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I was actually kind of annoyed at that scene since after you input it right you get the "Schrödinger's box" achievement and I was expecting for him to actually be someone and not a robot in this timeline, but no they just wanted to make a reference achievement even though that's not a Schrödinger's thing at all.

lol i thought the exact same thing was going to happen

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

While I think it's clever that every single choice made in the game is actually made by Delta and not the player, I think it's kind of boring how they just stuck with SHIFTING from VLR as the primary supernatural power aspect.

Maybe it would have just been retarded or whatever but I was convinced when Carlos pulled his whole fake-rape crap that it was a "?" situation where some unknown figure had hijacked Carlos' consciousness and that, that'd end up playing into why people made the bad choices but claimed it wasn't them and all that. That whole thing felt so pointless since Delta is just like "yeah I knew you'd do that" immediately after Carlos explains what really happened there.

Also for some reason anytime they show Carlos with the axe after he killed Akane, in the video feed I swear he has like an evil crazed look on him. Which I don't recall him having at all in the scene proper.

I think the main problem with Delta is that he's too omnipotent for his own good. The whole force-quit plan would have been really satisfying if it had led to Delta getting out-witted or getting a comeuppance of some sort, but instead he's just lol puppetmastering his entire way through the entire ending.

I don't think Uchikoshi was trying to make him as sympathetic as the other Zeroes (he kills 6 billion people, after all). There's definitely a lot of malice involved in the traps in the game (as evidenced by waking up the teams before they take an acid shower), and I get the impression that he has a lot of resentment towards his parents when Diana goes back down into the shelter (and he says his whole schizophrenia defense thing). He also seems to harbor jealousy/hatred towards Shifters for their callous use of their abilities *cough* Carlos *cough*.

This kind of gets me to think that his human elements are the things he would rather die than show anybody, and his response to Carlos at the end isn't much more than a puppetmaster defense. Because the last thing someone who was willing to set up traps to torture and kill someone would want to do is admit that they were wrong.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Delta's best characterization comes from a moment before his identity is even revealed, his weird father-son chat with Sean. It's, like, the only point in the game where he actually seems actively human instead of an uber god of Mind Hacking, and "angry, loony old man makes a robot of one of the few people he's ever liked to try and see the world through his eyes" is an interesting spin on the whole "are you the real you" storyline or whatever I'm trying to say, and the fact that his entire role in the finale is as ze ultimate Nazi puppetmaster instead of Sean's weird grunkledad is one of the primary reasons he doesn't come across very well.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Delta should not have been Brother.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

alcharagia posted:

Delta should not have been Brother.

I don't know how I feel about this either way. On one hand it's kinda cool because it makes Dio's presence in VLR a sort of "gently caress YOU DAD" thing (although how Brother got to be that old I have no idea, unless he's a clone of a clone). On the other hand it kind of feels forced, like "oh hey here's a character that we need to make to answer this question we asked in the last game." When it probably would have been more effective if they had brought back someone from 999 (or someone related to a 999 character) to play the role. Although I'm probably wrong on that part, too.

Maybe they could have just gotten Vince McMahon to play Brother instead.

alcharagia posted:

Delta's best characterization comes from a moment before his identity is even revealed, his weird father-son chat with Sean. It's, like, the only point in the game where he actually seems actively human instead of an uber god of Mind Hacking, and "angry, loony old man makes a robot of one of the few people he's ever liked to try and see the world through his eyes" is an interesting spin on the whole "are you the real you" storyline or whatever I'm trying to say, and the fact that his entire role in the finale is as ze ultimate Nazi puppetmaster instead of Sean's weird grunkledad is one of the primary reasons he doesn't come across very well.

I agree with this. I feel like Sean's personality is a reflection of Delta's human nature as well. Luna in VLR is similar to Diana in the sense that Luna is only the good things Sigma remembered about his dead wife, while I think Robo-Sean is the only parts of Sean's mind that Delta was able to see. Kind of like, he really wanted to believe that this kid was the one good person in the entire world so when he died he created a robot of Sean and put him with some truly mentally dangerous people to prove himself right.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Cake Attack posted:

lol i thought the exact same thing was going to happen

I was extremely disappointed when i got that achievement and Q took off his helmet again and he was still....a headless robot. Why doesn't he have a head anyway? It makes it harder to emotionally connect with him! In my opinion.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

honestly thinking about it, ZTD has less twists and swerves then VLR. there's Sean not being Q, and Phi being sigma's complicated daughter, and some other smaller stuff, but despite all the time jumping it actually felt more straightforward

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Did anyone else find it weird that Diana has really unique looking eyes? I don't get it at all, I assumed Delta had anime villain eyes because of his powers or something but nothing really makes sense regarding Diana's.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Did anyone else find it weird that Diana has really unique looking eyes? I don't get it at all, I assumed Delta had anime villain eyes because of his powers or something but nothing really makes sense regarding Diana's.

Stylistic choice, I guess? Like how Santa in 999 doesn't actually have white hair?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

dmboogie posted:

Stylistic choice, I guess? Like how Santa in 999 doesn't actually have white hair?

You mean he's actually a redhead?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

NRVNQSR posted:

You mean he's actually a redhead?

Not sure if :thejoke: but I'm pretty sure the whole "Actually, I'm Santa." scene talks about Junpei and Santa having the same hair color.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
As soon as I saw the fade-in/fade-out static with the camera pulling away from the participants waking up or falling asleep, there had to be something hosed up with the camera or a reason why the player or Zero would be looking in on it.

As for Zero being in the room with Q-Team/Q's identity fake-out/Delta as brother to Phi/etc, of course I didn't figure out any of that until very late in the game. I'm pretty surprised I didn't think more skeptically of the promo art being misleading (ie the official site labeling Sean as Q) similar to VLR with the promo-art misleading would-be VLR-players that Young Sigma is up with the Nonary Game: AB Edition participants and Zero III and etc versus how it actually plays out in the game.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Also I was genuinely surprised Clover is not in this game, nor even mentioned. They remembered Lotus! but not Clover.

Probably the best in hindsight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Baal posted:

Btw, is there a reason Delta was cool with shooting his dad in that one timeline and not his mom or what?
Oedipus complex

• Locked thread