Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

pmchem posted:

Playing as Mercy in quickplay is an absurd feeling. My teammates are both dumb and can't aim and run around into packs of 4 enemies, dying alone. It's a pointless endeavor.

It's been like this since launch, to be fair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Mierenneuker posted:

I've had a good time going solo for Quick Play since the game's release, but for the past two days the games have been very low quality. So many one-sided games.

It's actually encouraging me to stick to Competitive, even with some of the issues it has right now.

I've been duoing since release and have usually had pretty fair games, but yeah past two nights have been terrible. Probably just an unfortunate series of events more than anything else so hopefully tonight will prove better, but yeah they definitely haven't even been close and feels like an idiot-fest all around. I blame having a genji+hanzo+reaper+tracer ever match :argh:

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Infinite Karma posted:

Can you bitch if you always feel like you're getting your rear end kicked? I know that I suck, so please match me with people who aren't 360 noscope sniping me all game every game. I'm not good enough to play against these tryhards, why the hell does matchmaking think I am?
Maybe you're better than you think you are! Cheer up, Friend. :unsmith:

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
So did they fix the control point XP bug?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

pmchem posted:

Playing as Mercy in quickplay is an absurd feeling. My teammates are both dumb and can't aim and run around into packs of 4 enemies, dying alone. It's a pointless endeavor.

Mercy and Lucio are my most played characters, but for now I have given up on playing them in Quick Match (unless it's KOTH, because Lucio is OP). It used to be fine, but right this moment I find myself wishing there was a character select tip that said "too many flankers" if we already have a Genji, Tracer or Reaper and another player hovers over them. It's the same problem with double snipers, people don't understand that they become more effective if there's other people distracting the enemy team.

It's like MOBAs and people who instalock assassins/hard carries with no regard for the rest of the team. Same poo poo, different game.

Kaddish posted:

So did they fix the control point XP bug?

There was Blizzard forum post that said they did.
Edit: http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20745635535#post-1

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jul 1, 2016

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Mierenneuker posted:

It's like MOBAs and people who instalock assassins/hard carries with no regard for the rest of the team. Same poo poo, different game.
I feel like this is the biggest oversight by Blizz for the competitive scene. You should be underranked if you career a single class and never switch out. Nothing's more damaging than a career Genji in KOTH while the enemy is running two gorillas + Lucio.

I wanna say 8 out of 20 games I've had in comp have been with career Genjis so far.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Thor-Stryker posted:

I feel like this is the biggest oversight by Blizz for the competitive scene. You should be underranked if you career a single class and never switch out. Nothing's more damaging than a career Genji in KOTH while the enemy is running two gorillas + Lucio.

I wanna say 8 out of 20 games I've had in comp have been with career Genjis so far.
Probability says that as you play more ranked, you'll end up benefitting infinitesmally from career Genjis on your team, because they'll have an almost even chance of ending up on your team or the other. If you're not a career Genji yourself, you'll occupy one slot on your team that could randomly go to said Genji, so there are 5 slots on your team for a career player and 6 on the other team. Slightly better odds for you over time! :)

e: Actually, this doesn't take into account the ability for you to solo queue against premades, which kind of fucks you a bit. But we knew that already.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jul 1, 2016

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Thor-Stryker posted:

I don't think they oversighted it, if someone doesn't play the best class for the team/level then they'll lose more, hence, ranked lower, since individual performance is way less important to your rank?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Play Zarya and at least Genji's awful obvious flanks are an easy 50 energy for you, is my typical reaction to that these days.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 1, 2016

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

hhhat posted:

I don't think they oversighted it, if someone doesn't play the best class for the team/level then they'll lose more, hence, ranked lower, since individual performance is way less important to your rank?

i agree, but the same could be said of grouping up vs. solo queue

basically it's a "if you give a mouse a cookie" situation

Stacks
Apr 22, 2016
So with Lucio you're just supposed to sit behind a tank and fire potshots at the other team while healing right? I can't seem to get many kills with him. It's hard to aim with his gun, it seems weak and leaves a trail so everyone knows exactly where to find the healer.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
Treat the floor as lava and you'll be a better Lucio player.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Stacks posted:

So with Lucio you're just supposed to sit behind a tank and fire potshots at the other team while healing right? I can't seem to get many kills with him. It's hard to aim with his gun, it seems weak and leaves a trail so everyone knows exactly where to find the healer.

Sit? As Lucio? He doesn't have rollerblades for no reason!

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Nah, Lucio is mobile as hell. I mean sometimes to break through a choke you have to sit behind the tank for a bit but usually you wanna be wall riding to weird places and finding ways to doot people off ledges or using speed boost to help your team re-position. I basically only ever play him on KOTH though. If I'm not going to be able to doot someone into the abyss I don't much see the point. If all you're doing is sitting around and healing you could probably be doing a better job with Mercy.

jarbv
Jul 10, 2004

Stacks posted:

That's how you play zenyatta

Tin Gang
Sep 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

showering has no effect on germs and is terrible for your skin. there is no good reason to do it
The correct way to play Lucio is dance around the objective like a crazy unhittable rear end in a top hat spamming heals and doots everywhere. If your team isn't focused on the objective, they're playing wrong, not you.

fortocero
Jul 23, 2007

I could feel his muscle tissues collapse under my force. It's ludicrous these mortals even attempt to enter my realm.

Stacks posted:

Shouldn't be too tough to get elims and objective kills w/ Lucio -- keep in mind if you tag someone with any of your attacks you'll be credited. Lots of people in this thread talking about how they're getting gold in objective kills with Lucio; that poo poo pretty much happens naturally if you're skating around the point and spamming some sound waves towards the enemy.

objects in mirror
Apr 9, 2016

by Shine
Played one game of Competitive solo-queue last night and I was really surprised at how communicative everyone was being, and how much effort they were all putting in!

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I always loved Tourb on defence and KoTH. Never considered him a good offensive character. However after a few matches trying him out he can wreck poo poo if you play him drat near perfectly. There doesn't seem to be any middle ground. Either it works or it completely fails.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

torb has a good gun and you can take people off guard with it, plus his ult is great. offensive torb really needs the team to work around his turret tho unless you just want to be a worse mccree/reaper. he can help but usually I'd rather people not play him if we're attacking something (and that includes koth)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

NmareBfly posted:

Nah, Lucio is mobile as hell. I mean sometimes to break through a choke you have to sit behind the tank for a bit but usually you wanna be wall riding to weird places and finding ways to doot people off ledges or using speed boost to help your team re-position. I basically only ever play him on KOTH though. If I'm not going to be able to doot someone into the abyss I don't much see the point. If all you're doing is sitting around and healing you could probably be doing a better job with Mercy.

Wallride around the top of the central pillar on the Points in Lijang Tower (The Rooftop Garden and Space Museum maps), then watch the other team just stand and wonder why it's always Contested without ever looking up.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
In-house is starting, check thread for details on how to :getin:... stream is up: https://www.twitch.tv/whatspeakyou

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Just coming in here to say I placed at level 69. Peace.

Edit: Name dropping: jski.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Ok, so I am getting some good matches, but then I'm still getting losses.

This was as Reinhardt on Hanamura btw, had a Mei and Tracer that refused to switch, and the Mei was actively blocking us with icewalls when we popped ults. The game decided to take an entire rank from me because of my poor performance.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

:eyepop:

i think the placement matches underrated me

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Thor-Stryker posted:

This was as Reinhardt on Hanamura btw, had a Mei and Tracer that refused to switch, and the Mei was actively blocking us with icewalls when we popped ults. The game decided to take an entire rank from me because of my poor performance.

I've always been confused that it presents getting more deaths than your average as a good thing

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Thor-Stryker posted:

I hope you reported that mei

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Pumpy Dumper posted:

I hope you reported that mei

About 3/4 of Mei's would get reported for being poo poo with ice wall.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
yeah notice how blizzard conspicuously failed to include a report option for "throwing games" or "griefing"

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
i reported a player for refusing to tell me who their favorite goku is

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007
All praise blizz for comp mode. Trolling has never been so much fun all you have to do is pick torb on attack and nerds get mad. Also Lucio is the chill choice for healing you don't have to pay attention really other then avoiding dieing. With mercy you have to actually pay attention to what is going on around you.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

To do list for Reinhardt: learn when to stay put and when to be "clever." Most of the time in my pubbie matches I push too hard, or all my teammates decide to flank leaving me and (maybe) a healer facing their full side. When it works, though, I'm popping a shield out as someone snipes Bastion, or keeping the whole team safe from an exploding D.Va as we set up a wall of death. Even going on the assault can be good when the team takes advantage of it, but (probably since he's melee) I seem to be much more focused on the objective, and a push for the control point can wind up as a 1v4 while my team chases a Tracer around in circles or stands well outside of it lobbing hail mary bombs in letting the timer tick down.

Basically I need to learn that "making a push for the objective" does not necessarily mean "shoving my face in there and spinning in circles trying to alternate shield and hammer".

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Dont play solo queue ranked this weekend.

That is all.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Night Blade posted:

Dont play solo queue ranked this weekend.

That is all.

Why? It won't get any less poo poo with time.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

It'd be nice if idiots would stop giving their unwanted opinions on my picks. No Bastion, Torb, Dva, Symettra Junkrat, and probably more. Just shutup and play the game.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Verranicus posted:

Why? It won't get any less poo poo with time.

Because it's a long weekend (In the USA), and a lot of people are taking the time to spam mics in a drunken haze complaining about how everyone else sucks but them.

Tonight there also seems to be a lot of * Start healing rein > Rein sees one person > Rein charges into entire enemy team, misses person, and dies instantly > repeat 8 times until the end of the match *

Tin Gang
Sep 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

showering has no effect on germs and is terrible for your skin. there is no good reason to do it
I have consistently maintained a greater than 55% win percentage with Reinhardt and I honestly could not explain my strategy other than "Shield up and then when they get too close slap slap"

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
No but like for real, please patch in the option to turn off the ranking bar after each match Blizzard. It's the most useless screen in the game.

Also please bring avoid player back, I don't care if it messes up matchmaking, I don't want to play with instalock Hanzos who contribute nothing

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Macaluso posted:

No but like for real, please patch in the option to turn off the ranking bar after each match Blizzard. It's the most useless screen in the game.

Also please bring avoid player back, I don't care if it messes up matchmaking, I don't want to play with instalock Hanzos who contribute nothing

No, but see, the top 5% will have to wait longer for matches and Blizz desperately wants this to be an esport so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

When you whisper someone and it says they're not on your battlenet friends list, there's an unspoken "so we did not deliver your whisper" included in that, right?