Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hermetic posted:

There's a difference between loving my beau in the rear end after he's had a shower, and leaning up against a wall bathed in the stale poop particles of a thousand assholes.

Maybe that makes me germaphobic or finicky or whatever. Public restrooms are gross, I don't like having sex in gross places. :colbert:

Even health concerns aside the potent stench of stale urine and feces just, doesn't do it for me I'm afraid. I think in order to see the appeal I would have to be so drunk as to be unable to act on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I guess it makes sense if you can't go home for one reason or another, it's probably easier and less risky than a car.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

OwlFancier posted:

Even health concerns aside the potent stench of stale urine and feces just, doesn't do it for me I'm afraid. I think in order to see the appeal I would have to be so drunk as to be unable to act on it.

See, my bad, gross, unhygienic decisions when drunk usually involve a White Castle.

Coffee And Pie posted:

I guess it makes sense if you can't go home for one reason or another, it's probably easier and less risky than a car.

Oh, yeah, I totally understand the necessity of it, especially in the olden days of sodomy laws and open--MORE open and socially acceptable homophobia. Speaking of which, if you ever want to read the first study on bathroom hookups ever done, look into a sociologist named Laud Humphreys, and his book Tearoom Trade. Though I admit, it's less interesting for its exploration of "Tearooms", and more for how supremely hosed up sociology was in the days before ethical reviews and expectations of subject privacy.

Hermetic fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jun 29, 2016

Ohio State BOOniversity
Mar 3, 2008

Coffee And Pie posted:

it is far less risky than a car. in my state, bathrooms are a place with a reasonable expectation of privacy. you cannot bust two men for being nude together in a stall.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
So, we had our pride parade. It was huge! The official estimate was two hundred thousand people, although I call bullshit on that; it no doubt was the biggest ever in Milan, whatever the actual attendance. Lots of big sponsors: Microsoft, Google, Amazon, SAP (?!), Discovery Channel, and uh, Deliveroo, complete with poor guys in kangaroo costumes (with jumping stilts!). Plus a brand of bottled water, they came with a cool a.f. surplus army truck loaded with half liter bottles they gave away for free (an unglamorous semi trailed the parade with pallet after pallet of even more water bottles)

Lots of political entities: the Democrats (kind of like your Democrats, in fact the party is probably explicitly modeled after the American one), who were at the back of the parade and mostly ignored, to my amusement; Rifondazione Comunista (the main Communist party, and yes there's more than one); the liberal Radicals, my current favorite party; several unions, including two of the major confederations; a large contingent of Pastafarians, and the more serious (but still atheistic) UAAR; a really large and angry block of the controversial, anarchist Queer Feminists (more on them later); there was even a lone Maoist (wtf). I thought they were absent, but I spotted them in the photos I took: third party Movimento Cinque Stelle, a bizarre technocratic party of the everything and nothing, composed of rank amateurs (a fact they're proud of); notorious for considering a parliamentary inquiry into "the chemtrails phenomenon"; unbelievably popular, they have a huge sway in parliament (which they are very timid about using when it comes to LGBT rights, letting their MPs vote "according to conscience"), and managed to snag the mayoral seat of Rome (think of how worse the other two guys had to be. Also: yikes!). I didn't manage to get his picture, but notorious Italian Pastafarian and literal neckbeard Giampietro "The Illinois Nazi" Belotti was there too. You see, there's a group of reactionaries, the Standing Sentinels (ugh) who protest against uh, degeneracy I guess, by standing in formation, silently, reading books. Clever, right? Giampietro Belotti single-handedly deflated them by attending their silent protests dressed in a cheap brownshirt costume (instead of the swastika, he had Adenoid Hynkel's double cross), reading the Mein Kampf. When they asked him who he was, he answered he was an "Illinois Nazi". Italian authorities, completely missing the references and the ironic intent, attempted to try him for apology of fascism (a crime in Italy), I should see what came of it. Anyway, he's a kind of fixture at atheist events now, and the weird thing is, despite the fame and the neckbeard, he's a smart and decent guy and I've never seen him write anything superficial or ~problematic~

Oh, and the American embassy sent some people too, I guess they appreciated the candlelight vigil for Orlando we held near the consulate. The mayor and former mayor (both Democrats) marched at the head of the parade

There was a timid attempt at intersectionality: we had Amnesty International, representing the victims of the refugee crisis; the guy from Allah Loves Equality, side by side with the guys with the rainbow Star of David flags, were the only religious presence (... if we don't count the Pastafarians)

The current, newly elected mayor faces a difficult mandate: almost all of the boroughs took a hard turn right, he got most of his support from the (wealthy) downtown borough. He isn't a leftist himself, he's a former C-level executive and nearly indistinguishable from his main adversary, the vote felt like a "vote against": vote the neolib against the neocons and fascists, or vote the neolib against the immigrants. The former mayor, on the other hand, was a radical communist activist in his youth, and a beloved mayor: on the face of it, the fact that he didn't seek reelection is absurd. The common theory is that the suit was imposed by the Democratic party, partly as a cynical ploy to use the mayoral elections as a vote of confidence for the sitting (Democratic) government; as I explained before, the Italian government is appointed, not elected, and referendums and local elections are routinely used as "stress tests" to informally measure its legitimacy, in lieu of a proper presidential system. Not that the typical Italian head of government is likely to resign over a failed "stress test"

I mentioned the Queer Feminists. They protested the mayor's speech at the end of the parade because duh, they're anarchists and he's a neolib, worse, he managed last year's controversial International Exposition. He has been accused of mismanagement leading to unexplained losses, but the problem is, anarchists were opposed to the Expo itself and unsuccessfully campaigned against it for years before it was due. So anyway, they predictably were taken away by police, who have very little tolerance for counterprotests (can't blame them, they are huge security risks). What I didn't like is that they were booed by the crowd, because they raise a valid concern about pinkwashing. Sala, I will tolerate you as a mayor because the alternative was unthinkably worse, but don't think you've won me over just by attending the Pride. OK the Queer Feminists' intervention was a major bummer in the context of a recent victory of a not-gay-unfriendly mayor, but maybe a bummer is what we needed to reassess the situation more realistically

The day was warm, the forecast late afternoon showers very politely fell at midday, and I almost gave up going out of the sheer stress of doing myself up, and my girlfriend missing the parade. In the end I went, I was late but so was the Pride, and my doggie Lulu had fun (so much attention! so many pets! so many other dogs wearing rainbows!) and took the heat, the long walk and the loud music like a champ. At the end of the day, though, she was exhausted:

I took her with me at my association's post-Pride dinner (Circolo Harvey Milk, a "QTBLG association" - actually, I let my membership lapse years ago, but they still wuv me), and she got irrationally angry at everyone, including servers and random restaurant patrons. Poor little girl, I wish she could relax and sleep when she's away from home

e: yes it's me just off-frame with the flower dress

hackbunny fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jun 30, 2016

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

gay rites posted:

it is far less risky than a car. in my state, bathrooms are a place with a reasonable expectation of privacy. you cannot bust two men for being nude together in a stall.

Except bathrooms were a common sting location, as far as I know...:confused:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

hackbunny posted:

The day was warm, the forecast late afternoon showers very politely fell at midday, and I almost gave up going out of the sheer stress of doing myself up, and my girlfriend missing the parade. In the end I went, I was late but so was the Pride, and my doggie Lulu had fun (so much attention! so many pets! so many other dogs wearing rainbows!) and took the heat, the long walk and the loud music like a champ. At the end of the day, though, she was exhausted:

I took her with me at my association's post-Pride dinner (Circolo Harvey Milk, a "QTBLG association" - actually, I let my membership lapse years ago, but they still wuv me), and she got irrationally angry at everyone, including servers and random restaurant patrons. Poor little girl, I wish she could relax and sleep when she's away from home

e: yes it's me just off-frame with the flower dress

You have the most adorable dog in the world and you should be proud of her.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

hackbunny posted:

I took her with me at my association's post-Pride dinner (Circolo Harvey Milk, a "QTBLG association" - actually, I let my membership lapse years ago, but they still wuv me), and she got irrationally angry at everyone, including servers and random restaurant patrons.

Funny that an Italian association has named itself after a politican from a distant country. Aren't there any local figures that might be better suited for the purpose, like people persecuted for their orientation under the fascist regime?

On a different note, I discovered that there was a similar parade in Roma a couple of weeks ago. Two noteworthy things: it was apparently sponsored by several foreign diplomatic missions (didn't know Quebec had their own mission independent of the Canadian one, plus note how the Germans are the only ones who deign to write in Italian on their logo), and the route didn't take the parade anywhere near the Papist HQ. The latter seems like a bit of a missed opportunity.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Kopijeger posted:

Funny that an Italian association has named itself after a politican from a distant country. Aren't there any local figures that might be better suited for the purpose, like people persecuted for their orientation under the fascist regime?

On a different note, I discovered that there was a similar parade in Roma a couple of weeks ago. Two noteworthy things: it was apparently sponsored by several foreign diplomatic missions (didn't know Quebec had their own mission independent of the Canadian one, plus note how the Germans are the only ones who deign to write in Italian on their logo), and the route didn't take the parade anywhere near the Papist HQ. The latter seems like a bit of a missed opportunity.

Best not to antagonize the relatively cool pope.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Secretary of Defense Ashton Carter has ordered that the ban on transgender military personnel be lifted immediately.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/01/us/transgender-military.html

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Teddybear posted:

Secretary of Defense Ashton Carter has ordered that the ban on transgender military personnel be lifted immediately.

Its not been a good year for the Far Right. :getin:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Obama once again sissifying our military for the Islamic takeover :twisted:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Teddybear posted:

Well, that's one way to make an official statement on the whole bathroom law bullshit without actually outright swinging at it.

Good on 'em, though.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Cool idea we are kicking around right now is an eight hour class on issues with serving the lgbt community and everyone who is certified wears a rainbow pin with their nameplate. Interesting concept that I am going to try to help push through the bureaucratic chain of crap.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Teddybear posted:

This is great! I didn't know there was an outright ban, glad that it's gone now.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
:qq: So much Christian persecution :qq:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...b6b1_story.html

U.S. District Judge strikes down Mississippi’s ‘religious freedom’ law

quote:

JACKSON, Miss. — U.S. District Judge Carlton W. Reeves late Thursday night issued an injunction blocking a bill by the Mississippi legislature that would have allowed private citizens and some public officials professing a “sincere religious belief” to deny services to gays and lesbians.

Just minutes before House Bill 1523 was to take effect at midnight, Reeves eviscerated the bill — the most sweeping attempt by a state to undermine the U.S. Supreme Court’s 2015 decision to legalize gay marriage — as being in violation of the First and Fourteenth Amendments.

“The State has put its thumb on the scale to favor some religious beliefs over others. Showing such favor tells ‘nonadherents that they are outsiders, not full members of the political community, and . . . adherents that they are insiders, favored members of the political community.’ ” Reeves wrote, citing precedent. “And the Equal Protection Clause is violated by HB 1523’s authorization of arbitrary discrimination against lesbian, gay, transgender, and unmarried persons.”

“The plaintiffs’ motions are granted and HB 1523 is preliminarily enjoined.”

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Some more bits of good news, Japan is updating its sexual harassment codes to include sexual minorities.

http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/japan-lgbt-sexual-harassment/#gs.hDmsSb8

The guidelines won't come into effect until January 2017 though. Still a positive step, most of the pro gay moves in Japan have either been at city level or by companies (usually global companies with Japanese branches like IBM).

Also New Hampshire has banned trans discrimination

http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/anti-trans-discrimination-banned-new-hampshire/#gs.6snlN2k

Also in Germany it looks like the ban on Gay and Bi blood donation will soon be at an end. A proposal to lift the lifetime ban had the unanimous support of the state health ministers, including the CDU one's and the Federal health minister has spoken in favour of a UK style deferment policy.

http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/germany-gay-blood-ban/#gs.ipQcD3I

In terrible news a group of Ivory Coast gay men who were photographed at the US embassy have gone into hiding

http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/gay-men-ivory-coast-attacked-us-embassy/#gs.ZAi6wcM

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

MaxxBot posted:

:qq: So much Christian persecution :qq:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...b6b1_story.html

U.S. District Judge strikes down Mississippi’s ‘religious freedom’ law

Here's the (60 page) opinion

e: not a whole lot of bon mots, but the judge dropped a lot of footnotes along the lines of, "And here's where folks like you said pretty much exactly the same thing in support of racial segregation."

A nice gentle poke at Unitarians:

quote:

Every group has its iconoclasts. The larger the group, the more likely it will have someone who believes the sun revolves around the Earth, a doctor who thinks smoking unproblematic, or a Unitarian opposed to same-sex religious marriage.

Scriptural hypocrisy:

quote:

It is not within our tradition to respect one clerk’s religious objection to issuing a same-sex marriage license, but refuse another clerk’s religious objection to issuing a marriage license to a formerly-divorced person. The government is not in a position to referee the validity of Leviticus 18:22 (“Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.”) versus Leviticus 21:14 (“A widow, or a divorced woman, or profane, or an harlot, these shall he not take.”).45

45. We do not single out religious beliefs in this way. No state law explicitly allows persons to decline to serve a payday lender based on a religious belief that payday lending violates Deuteronomy 23:19. No state law explicitly allows recusals because of a belief that wearing “a garment mingled of linen and wool[]” is forbidden. Leviticus 19:19. If a marriage license was withheld for “foolish talking” or “jesting,” see Ephesians 5:4, we would undoubtedly have many fewer marriages.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jul 1, 2016

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Hassan is a pretty great governor.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

joat mon posted:

Here's the (60 page) opinion

e: not a whole lot of bon mots, but the judge dropped a lot of footnotes along the lines of, "And here's where folks like you said pretty much exactly the same thing in support of racial segregation."

A nice gentle poke at Unitarians:

Scriptural hypocrisy:

From a purely mechanical perspective, I've enjoyed this opinion. The way the judge breaks down standing alone is great. It isn't full of flair and flourish, nor does it need to be. It's exceptionally well written, though.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Canadians might have to beware of zombies,

http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/christian-group-dressed-gay-zombies-infiltrate-pride/#gs.yKxtDPc

quote:

The pamphlets included graphic images of people suffering from diseases like AIDS, genital warts, and syphilis, claiming this would happen if you engage in a `homosexual lifestyle`.

I understand the hate and the hostile paternalism that get's passed around as "concern" but I never cease to be astounded at the lack of self awareness these types show. Using a fake safe sex tool to promote the argument that homosexuality is unsafe, and that STI's are unique to same sex relationships. In my area for the past six or so years we've seen a big rise in Clap, gonorrhea and syphilis, but its amongst the straights.

Oh and in the UK the second highest rate of HIV infection are among heterosexual Black Britons. Somehow I don't think these groups push a pamphlet warning of the dangers of `black lifestyle`. And overall heterosexual rates of infection are a lot closer to Gays and Bis (who are grouped together)

http://www.hivaware.org.uk/facts-myths/hiv-statistics

quote:

3,360 new HIV diagnoses among men who have sex with men — the highest number ever recorded in a year
2,490 new HIV diagnoses were acquired heterosexually and over half of them probably acquired their infection in the UK

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Baka-nin posted:

Oh and in the UK the second highest rate of HIV infection are among heterosexual Black Britons. Somehow I don't think these groups push a pamphlet warning of the dangers of `black lifestyle`.
There are a handful of UK groups like National Action that do. And those groups don't tend to think so highly of LGBT people either. (e: They put up a bunch of homophobic stickers around Glasgow a few weeks ago, and have done much the same with other hate campaigns.)

Tommy Mair, the neo-nazi who assassinated MP Jo Cox (gently caress that was almost 4 weeks ago) was reported to be an avid consumer of stuff from a US retailer called National Vanguard that sold poo poo like this:

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jul 6, 2016

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Guavanaut posted:

There are a handful of UK groups like National Action that do. And those groups don't tend to think so highly of LGBT people either.

Tommy Mair, the neo-nazi who assassinated MP Jo Cox (gently caress that was almost 4 weeks ago) was reported to be an avid consumer of stuff from a US retailer called National Vanguard that sold poo poo like this:

Jesus christ why do these people come to my state...

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Guavanaut posted:

There are a handful of UK groups like National Action that do. And those groups don't tend to think so highly of LGBT people either. (e: They put up a bunch of homophobic stickers around Glasgow a few weeks ago, and have done much the same with other hate campaigns.)

Yeah that's true, but with these groups AIDs is just a smokescreen they're using to try and prevent the great "evil" of miscegenation*. I suspect if they really believed sex with black people was so risky they'd just see it as a just punishment for race treason.

Anyway I've just noticed that the small Mexican state of Morelos started preforming same sex marriages yesterday. The issue seems rather muddy since the Mexican courts struck down bans on same sex marriage, several states have legalised, but they seem to be doing so either through Governor mandates or court challenges, so its taking awhile and some states like Sonora have re-blocked it.

*I'm actually a little disgusted that I know how to spell that without checking.

Baka-nin fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jul 6, 2016

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's the same for their concern trolling of LGBT groups though.
"We don't hate you, we're just concerned about the disease risk from your awful lifestyle. It's for your own good, and it's for the safety of our children that we're banning any discussion of LGBT issues in school because the only safe way to be gay is don't."

The only major difference between the two is that the anti-miscegenation stuff got moved to the hardcore nazi sidelines a few decades earlier, whereas it's still 'acceptable' in some religious groups to be a homophobe.

(e: Yeah, a ton of people sadly still hold those views in private, but I mean the people who actively go out flyering cities or being a shithead in public.)

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Some interesting news, the United Reformed Church (URC) has voted overwhelmingly to allow its clergy to preform and register same sex marriages, they're now the largest Christian denomination to do so in the UK (Around 60,000, though they'll probably lose a few now). Of particular interest is that the URC is a Presbyterian sect, the Christian groups that are the most hardline against homosexuality are also Presbyterians*, there's quite a few differences between the URC and Ian Paisley's Free Presbyterians.

http://urc.org.uk/media-news/2084-the-united-reformed-church-votes-to-allow-the-marriage-of-same-sex-couples-in-its-churches.html

*Well in recent years we've seen the appearance of American and African sects that are more hardline on a bunch of things, but there a lot smaller and are mostly ignored.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Welcome to the UK! :v:

:smithicide:

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

The news from France is depressing so here's some positive news that's understandably being overshadowed at present.

First France is ending its blanket gay and bi blood donation ban and moving to a 12 month celibacy deferment, four months for plasma.

http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/france-lifts-gay-blood-donation-ban/#gs.gllR3GU

Though they're planning on ending the ban in stages and conducting more studies into risks so there's a chance that the deferment period could be reduced or scrapped entirely.

In addition the French National Assembly has approved a number of changes to its policy regarding Trans citizens, removing medical operations as a precondition for recognition. http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/transgender-people-victory-france/#gs.m8YEYYA

Though it now has to be voted on by the Senate.

TinTower posted:

Welcome to the UK! :v:

:smithicide:

I didn't know that, what are the restrictions in the UK for transsexuals?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Baka-nin posted:

I didn't know that, what are the restrictions in the UK for transsexuals?
The most egregious one is the 'spousal veto', where the married partner of the person wishing to transition can veto the gender recognition certificate (and possibly some other parts of the process).

Being as the UK doesn't have no-fault divorce, this can lead to a partner being trapped in a relationship that won't allow them to transition. You could file under unreasonable behavior or separate, but that can take years. It happens in more cases than you'd imagine.

I'm not sure if that's also the case for civil unions.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

The most egregious one is the 'spousal veto', where the married partner of the person wishing to transition can veto the gender recognition certificate (and possibly some other parts of the process).

Being as the UK doesn't have no-fault divorce, this can lead to a partner being trapped in a relationship that won't allow them to transition. You could file under unreasonable behavior or separate, but that can take years. It happens in more cases than you'd imagine.

Holy gently caress, how even is that a thing?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Civil unions are "upgrade to a marriage or separate", as mixed-sex civil partnerships aren't legal.

There's no requirement for surgery for a British gender recognition certificate, but you do need a doctor's letter stating that the change is anticipated to be permanent.

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

TinTower posted:

Civil unions are "upgrade to a marriage or separate", as mixed-sex civil partnerships aren't legal.

There's no requirement for surgery for a British gender recognition certificate, but you do need a doctor's letter stating that the change is anticipated to be permanent.

You also need someone "recognised as practicing in the field of gender dysphoria" to sign you off. This can be kinda stressful because you're likely to have to go through the whole psych gatekeeping thing, where you're going to be judged based on whether you're "trans enough". If you went through an informed consent process in another country (or even through a traditional gatekeeper process in another country where the board decides not to recognise it), it can be expensive and pretty humiliating if you've already been living in your correct gender for several years.

german porn enthusiast
Dec 29, 2015

by exmarx
A few days old, but it's still nice to have good news. The NBA's moving its all-star game out of charlotte, NC because of HB2.

I mean, it's not so great for the city of charlotte, because their non-discrimination law was the excuse for mcrory to pass HB2, but, eh, still think the NBA had to do it.

http://www.nba.com/2016/news/features/steve_aschburner/07/21/nba-moves-2017-all-star-game-from-charlotte/index.html

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2016/07/22/the-creator-of-steven-universe-just-gave-the-best-reason-for-coming-out-as-bi-video/

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
The FBI apparently found no connection to homophobia in the pulse club shooting.

http://sdgln.com/news/2016/07/20/no-evidence-pulse-attack-was-motivated-homophobia-fbi-says

I feel so confused. I doubt they came to that conclusion lightly, since it's the obvious answer, but seriously? He went out of his way to shoot up a gay club during pride week. What other purpose could he have? Guess we won't know.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

RagnarokAngel posted:

I feel so confused. I doubt they came to that conclusion lightly, since it's the obvious answer, but seriously? He went out of his way to shoot up a gay club during pride week. What other purpose could he have? Guess we won't know.

To be honest, regardless of what they say there's really almost no other angle imaginable unless it's just "gently caress the gays" filtered through another thing (Religious extremism or whatever), but that still ends with every piece of it being "gently caress the gays" so it's not much of a difference anyway.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

RagnarokAngel posted:

The FBI apparently found no connection to homophobia in the pulse club shooting.

http://sdgln.com/news/2016/07/20/no-evidence-pulse-attack-was-motivated-homophobia-fbi-says

quote:

Although the FBI did extensive research through interviews, his computer files and other personal devices, they still found no evidence that Mateen was motivated to kill because of homophobia.

They also say eyewitnesses never heard Mateen use homophobic hate speech as he carried out the mass shooting.

Seems like they didn't find specific word for word confirmation that Omar hated the gays, even though he purposefully went to a gay bar and shot the place up... Oh and that last part, what's more conclusive evidence that a person doesn't like you?

A) They're actively trying to kill you with a weapon.

or

B) They use words that hurt your feelings?

Seems like the FBI is strictly interpreting the letter of the law in this case. I guess to try and prevent a controversy. It happens quite a bit in sensitive cases. I remember after the Mumbai terror attack, there was photographic evidence of one of the attackers walking around with a rifle, but he was referred to as a "suspect" and once "suspected gunman" because they hadn't quite 100% established who he was and that he was guilty yet. I know that's a random example but its stuck with me for years.

I wouldn't put to much stock into this until the FBI find evidence of some other reason for his actions.

Edit for clarity: What the FBI are saying is they can't prove he was homophobic beyond a reasonable doubt, because there's no explicit piece of information that says the direct reason he went to that club to murder so many was because of homophobia, there's doubt and a possibility that some other reason was his motivation.

But realistically speaking unless they find evidence of some other sinister reason it was probably homophobia.

Baka-nin fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jul 24, 2016

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Baka-nin posted:

Seems like they didn't find specific word for word confirmation that Omar hated the gays, even though he purposefully went to a gay bar and shot the place up... Oh and that last part, what's more conclusive evidence that a person doesn't like you?

A) They're actively trying to kill you with a weapon.

or

B) They use words that hurt your feelings?

Seems like the FBI is strictly interpreting the letter of the law in this case. I guess to try and prevent a controversy. It happens quite a bit in sensitive cases. I remember after the Mumbai terror attack, there was photographic evidence of one of the attackers walking around with a rifle, but he was referred to as a "suspect" and once "suspected gunman" because they hadn't quite 100% established who he was and that he was guilty yet. I know that's a random example but its stuck with me for years.

I wouldn't put to much stock into this until the FBI find evidence of some other reason for his actions.

I've fallen off of this case a bit, was the earlier theory floating around that he was closeted and this was some sort of revenge hit just totally baseless?

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Aesop Poprock posted:

I've fallen off of this case a bit, was the earlier theory floating around that he was closeted and this was some sort of revenge hit just totally baseless?

The FBI report says they found no evidence that he was gay either. They specifically reject the claims, and there's no substantiation beyond testimony from his wife. So it looks like that was wrong too. I mean there was a bloke going round claiming to be his ex lover so that should be easy to confirm. Speaking of which I've not heard anything about him after he first popped up.

Edit again: Nearly all the links to Pulse are salacious tabloid sites, but the Wikipedia page is pretty solid and it's section on Mateen's sexual orientation covers all the allegations and the investigation and its footnotes link to credible sites.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omar_Mateen#Sexual_orientation

Baka-nin fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Conservatives continue to be confused about people making GBS threads without little stick figures telling you where exactly to poo poo.

• Locked thread