Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

Speaking of Araki, I prefer the theory that he's a Rock Human.

He's a Hamon user, it's the only explanation that fits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan

Serious Frolicking posted:

a mangaka is a both a writer and an artist. who are you to say that he isn't allowed to care about drawing his own comic?

Yeah comic artists are weird. Brandon Graham enjoys having a team on Prophet but I doubt he would have ever considered getting an artist vefore finishing King City. Bryan Lee Omalley got assistants but he draws the main characters and plans the pages. I can barely write for others. I had a friend draw a side story from my book and it was a little weird but I also foisted a bunch of complicated stuff on him like a bit of a bastard.

I love Hunter X Hunter, I can just accept it'll take forever.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I think people usually compare Togashi with other mangakas that do weekly mangas, and that's a bit unfair.

First, other authors have a much better release schedule, but they don't do it having a normal 40 hour week. Instead they have this

Look at that. gently caress that.

Why would anyone consider normal mangaka conditions as a thing to aspire to? They work 11 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Togashi is rich, have a wife and two kids. He has been successful enough to negotiate better conditions. Leave the equivalent of near slavery to young, bachelor aspiring mangakas who don't know any better.

Second, he is better than most authors in the genre. And not only slightly better, he is head and shoulders above everyone else in the same magazine. So maybe not producing manga as if they were frigging sausages in a sausage factory have something to do with it.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Jul 2, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i would vastly prefer if togashi switched to monthly. jump even has a monthly magazine, i think.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Jump SQ. is Shueisha's monthly Shonen mag.
Ultra Jump, (JoJo's magazine) is monthly Seinen so Togashi may not want to use that one.
When all is said and done though, if he wanted to publish monthly, they'd probably just let him release HxH every month in WSJ if it's still big enough to be considered one of Shueisha's premiere properties.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Even chapters with a weekly page count on a monthly schedule would be an improvement.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Hiyatus on a boat eh.... Oh boy....

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Begemot posted:

Togashi fits the profile better, they have to hibernate for months on end, and Jojolion is pretty consistent.

I'm convinced this page is a direct reference to him :v:

I meant Togashi was one, not that Araki was one.

And yes, that was the page I was thinking of.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

i wish togashi would just call me on my celly and tell me what's going to happen next.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
I don't care if it's weekly, monthly, or if he takes ten years off to finish the whole loving thing in one go I just want to be able to read the whole story.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Mulderman posted:

Hiyatus on a boat eh.... Oh boy....

unlike berserk, we all want to see more boat stuff. i don't think it is possible for the kakin succession arc to wear out its welcome considering how much cool poo poo is happening.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Turin Turambar posted:

I think people usually compare Togashi with other mangakas that do weekly mangas, and that's a bit unfair.

First, other authors have a much better release schedule, but they don't do it having a normal 40 hour week. Instead they have this

Why would anyone consider normal mangaka conditions as a thing to aspire to? They work 11 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Togashi is rich, have a wife and two kids. He has been successful enough to negotiate better conditions. Leave the equivalent of near slavery to young, bachelor aspiring mangakas who don't know any better.

Second, he is better than most authors in the genre. And not only slightly better, he is head and shoulders above everyone else in the same magazine. So maybe not producing manga as if they were frigging sausages in a sausage factory have something to do with it.

On the other hand, other weekly mangaka pull it off just fine, even those with physical problems like Ashihara (World Trigger, dude hosed up his neck and now he needs a steady supply of painkillers and the occasional break), and many of those have families too.
And I'm not just talking entry-level. Most weekly mangaka don't take even a fraction of the breaks Togashi does, even when they're big rich and successful.

Plus, any kind of excuse wrt scheduling becomes irrelevant because this is not "oh he can't keep up with a weekly schedule", this is "he can't keep up with a monthly schedule". (Averaging)

Also you're fanboying too hard. Togashi is great, but he is not "heads and shoulders about everyone else in the same magazine". Not this generation, at least.
And claiming he's some kind of auteur who needs time for his artwork to flourish falls really flat in the face of, you know, loving off for over a year for no reason. And he's done that multiple times.
He has a medical condition because he was kind of an idiot and hosed up his own spine? (Because let's be honest who the gently caress thinks drawing while lying down is a good idea) Fine. That is manageable. There's painkillers and assistants. Switch to biweekly. Switch to monthly, even. There's plenty of ways to deal with it.

But he doesn't do any of that. Talent is only as good as the willingness to put it to use.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Jul 3, 2016

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Kyte posted:

On the other hand, other weekly mangaka pull it off just fine, even those with physical problems like Ashihara (World Trigger, dude hosed up his neck and now he needs a steady supply of painkillers and the occasional break), and many of those have families too.
And I'm not just talking entry-level. Most weekly mangaka don't take even a fraction of the breaks Togashi does, even when they're big rich and successful.

Plus, any kind of excuse wrt scheduling becomes irrelevant because this is not "oh he can't keep up with a weekly schedule", this is "he can't keep up with a monthly schedule". (Averaging)

Also you're fanboying too hard. Togashi is great, but he is not "heads and shoulders about everyone else in the same magazine". Not this generation, at least.
And claiming he's some kind of auteur who needs time for his artwork to flourish falls really flat in the face of, you know, loving off for over a year for no reason. And he's done that multiple times.
He has a medical condition because he was kind of an idiot and hosed up his own spine? (Because let's be honest who the gently caress thinks drawing while lying down is a good idea) Fine. That is manageable. There's painkillers and assistants. Switch to biweekly. Switch to monthly, even. There's plenty of ways to deal with it.

But he doesn't do any of that. Talent is only as good as the willingness to put it to use.

agreed just lock him in a hotel room and only feed him opiates

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
what value does a person have if he is not producing content for me to consume? hosed up

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
I'd complain more if i had actually paid for any of hunter x hunter

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Kild posted:

can somoene do this with me tia

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
This piece of poo poo Togashi is depriving me of my God-given right to read more chapters of my favorite manga and I am extremely mad.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I really really like Hunter x Hunter and hope Yoshihiro Togashi gets better both because back problems suck major rear end and even just having had the occasional minor achiness that comes along with everyday life I feel for him, as well as because he's a tremendously talented storyteller whose work would be missed dearly if he were forced to retire early.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
but forreal tho dark continent when

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

TriffTshngo posted:

I really really like Hunter x Hunter and hope Yoshihiro Togashi gets better both because back problems suck major rear end and even just having had the occasional minor achiness that comes along with everyday life I feel for him, as well as because he's a tremendously talented storyteller whose work would be missed dearly if he were forced to retire early.

i too share this sentiment

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Turin Turambar posted:

That schedule is literally nightmarish. I pity every weekly manga author who has to work under those kinds of conditions.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Kyte posted:

Nah, I stand by my words. No fanboying.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
If it weren't for the fact that many pens won't work upside down, Togashi could be on his back while he draws on a thing hanging above him. Or maybe he could draw while hanging from the ceiling like some mission impossible Tom Cruise thing.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

why don't we just clone his brain?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i feel that the sick old man is just a lazy pussy for not following a miserable schedule to produce comics i read for free online

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

PringleCreamEgg posted:

If it weren't for the fact that many pens won't work upside down, Togashi could be on his back while he draws on a thing hanging above him. Or maybe he could draw while hanging from the ceiling like some mission impossible Tom Cruise thing.

He could use a tablet.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

i think we should kickstart him a home in space

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Kyte posted:

hahaha what the hell is this

Like if you're looking at that schedule, which isn't even the worst of them and going " well these dudes are so loving stupid they'll work through severe neck pain to put out a childrens comic, therefore everyone should do it" I just don't even know what to say to you.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

There's also the fact that even if his back pain IS because of something really stupid he did, I'm sure he's already paid the price for his mistakes and it accomplishes nothing to continue condemning him until the end of time for it. (This same logic applies to something like drug addiction.)

Spidder
Jan 9, 2005

Turin Turambar posted:

This is bullshit and you know it. Why work in a weekly serialized format if you don't intent on keeping a weekly or even monthly schedule? Call it a loving book or graphic novel or something and release it whenever you want...

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Togashi is in mourning for the death of Shalnark. HxH will resume in a month.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

i feel that the sick old man is just a lazy pussy for not following a miserable schedule to produce comics i read for free online

I pay for them :colbert:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I paid for Crunchyroll back while I was living in Canada and that's good enough.

I also paid to rent manga from manga rental shops, a practice looked down upon by the Korean comic book industry.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Tunicate posted:

I pay for them :colbert:

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Guys he's not working for free. He has a contract, he literally gets paid to draw things. That's his job. Don't treat it like he's putting out a free webcomic.

Is it really that bad to expect somebody to do their job? If he doesn't want to because he's had a successful career and is swimming in money, then we happen to have a name for that situation. It's called "retirement".

Or if retirement is not palatable, change to a more convenient format, like monthly. That's a possibility.
Or get some assistants. That's a possibility too, and we all know he's actually outside the norm here by not employing them in first place.
Or switch to artist/writer pair, although that's a stretch.

Either way, this is a solvable problem. When there's solutions and the means to enact said solutions, but the person still doesn't want to do it, then I don't think that's defensible.

And, once again, it's not like the Akamatsu or Ashihara situation where he takes a break every few weeks. That's just how things go.
But this is a guy who can fail to put out 18 pages in an entire year and has done so in multiple situations. He's taken 11 years to put out as much product as you'd normally get in two (plus a bit of change).

Kild posted:

Asuron posted:

hahaha what the hell is this

Like if you're looking at that schedule, which isn't even the worst of them and going " well these dudes are so loving stupid they'll work through severe neck pain to put out a childrens comic, therefore everyone should do it" I just don't even know what to say to you.
Please don't strawman me because neither of those things are what I said or implied at all.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jul 4, 2016

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

He went on hiatus to help Kubo wrap up bleach in its remaining 5 chapters.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Pretty sure he doesn't get paid for hiatuses. I'd imagine his contract pays him by the chapter, so if he doesn't work he doesn't get paid. The lenience Jump offers him is essentially that there's always a spot in the magazine reserved for when he decides to come back, which works out well for them because the manga is consistently a bestseller no matter how long the hiatuses are. It's a win-win situation for everyone. Like you said, he could have just retired so I really have no idea why you're blaming him for not working a ridiculous schedule on a job he isn't obligated to do.

It's less like you're asking him to do his job and more like you're asking him to take on an extra job just because you want his stuff.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jul 4, 2016

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
What I want is for him to make up his drat mind, decide on a schedule, whether that's one a year, once a quarter, once a month or whatever and stick to it.

(Why do people keep mentioning the ridiculous schedule thing? I keep harping that he could just switch to monthly or some other reasonable schedule instead of the actual complete lack of one)

Kyte fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jul 4, 2016

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Well, why should he do that? And why should you blame him for not doing that? What obligation does he have to abide by your own personal desire for a consistent schedule?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Monstrous Crow
Jan 29, 2009

Pretty sure his schedule is "tentatively go back to a weekly release schedule when possible, go back on hiatus when I physically cannot move."