Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Here's the link for the latest version of Horse Timers that I have in my downloads folder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
Recommend me a build:
I want to wear heavy armor (at least some), murder things with weapons (1h + shield, 2H, or DW in order of preference) and have really cool magic abilities that function purely as utility, not a primary damage source.
Is that a thing in ESO?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Silly Newbie posted:

Recommend me a build:
I want to wear heavy armor (at least some), murder things with weapons (1h + shield, 2H, or DW in order of preference) and have really cool magic abilities that function purely as utility, not a primary damage source.
Is that a thing in ESO?

Heavy Armor is -generally- not great, but you still want a single piece for most builds. Most people do heavy chest armor so they visually look like they are mainly wearing heavy, even if most of their gear isn't. With heavy chest/medium shoulders/head, you look fairly armored.

1H and 2H are both fine Stambuilds. Most of your skills will come from them if you go Stambuild. Your magic will be utility based on class, so basically choose which sounds cooler.

- Dragonknight utility is reflecting spells/jumping at dudes/shields.

- Sorcerer utility is moving really fast/a teleport style thing.

- Nightblade utility is you get a cloak and can burst after you leave the cloak.

- Templar utility is ???. I don't have a Templar. I think it's just you stab fuckers with a hidden spear.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

so is cross-faction grouping a thing yet outside of dungeons or is that still not a thing

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Yeah I Like Girls posted:

so is cross-faction grouping a thing yet outside of dungeons or is that still not a thing

It will be a thing once One Tamriel comes out which is due...Fall? But not the next patch that's on PTS right now.

bradybunch
Jun 14, 2006

Yeah I Like Girls posted:

cross faction outside of dungeons is not a thing until One Tamriel. I dont know if there is an ETA on One Tamriel

e: beaten

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

Rookersh posted:

Heavy Armor is -generally- not great, but you still want a single piece for most builds. Most people do heavy chest armor so they visually look like they are mainly wearing heavy, even if most of their gear isn't. With heavy chest/medium shoulders/head, you look fairly armored.

1H and 2H are both fine Stambuilds. Most of your skills will come from them if you go Stambuild. Your magic will be utility based on class, so basically choose which sounds cooler.

- Dragonknight utility is reflecting spells/jumping at dudes/shields.

- Sorcerer utility is moving really fast/a teleport style thing.

- Nightblade utility is you get a cloak and can burst after you leave the cloak.

- Templar utility is ???. I don't have a Templar. I think it's just you stab fuckers with a hidden spear.

Templars have a bunch of utility. They can cleanse, shards for group resource management, purifying light for force multiplier on dps, and of course as a class they have the best class heals and heal buffs.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Oh my god, Dreamwalker Stormy-Eyes is amazing.

"Hold him down. If he starts thrashing around then hit him with a rock!

...joking, joking. :haw:"

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
@enemyviolent

Intro seemed really cool. I'm hyped.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

More datamining showing quest text for faction zone delve and public dungeon dailies

Delve quests appear to be tied into the Undaunted and presumably another way to earn Undaunted exp besides pledges, while the public dungeon dailies have something to do with recovering items from the Shivering Isles.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
@biggsmclargehuge

Bonapartisan
May 20, 2004

Emperor of France
Creator of the Code Napoleon
Conqueror of the Ziggy Piggy

DreadLlama posted:

@biggsmclargehuge

You'd better loving be a Nord.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
@lljksilk

Still downloading. Purchased at launch, sat back and didn't actually get around installing until now.

Bonapartisan
May 20, 2004

Emperor of France

LLJKSiLk posted:

@lljksilk

Still downloading. Purchased at launch, sat back and didn't actually get around installing until now.

That's not a real account try again.

Venerable Monk
Jun 28, 2012

@TritanV would like an invite, just installed last night.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

The Bramble posted:

I enjoy ESO mechanically and love wandering around the beautiful world, but having these great character models and fully voice-acted dialogue seems like a real missed opportunity when the writing is so weak.

I basically despise game writing of all sort because it is terrible. It is to be expected; games deal with supposedly-mature topics like murder and war and famine, but have to do it in a G-rated way. People gush about the ~*~story~*~ in SWtoR, and it makes me legit sad for them. Games have lovely, lovely stories as a rule.

But here we go:

The Thieves' Guild DLC story was actually decent. Sure, the twists are predictable. But when it came to the final decision, it wasn't really as simple as Buy Your Mother A Rainbow Pony versus Murder Everyone On The Continent. It's... it's not good, okay, but it's really pretty solid.

Give exploration a chance, though. Even though the quests are stupid, running around and finding storybits in the environment is still awesome. You find a tiny cave, a bunch of discarded bottles, and footprints leading to the ocean. Or a bedroll up on top of a bluff, with a skeleton nearby and a rock crushing its skull. There's a bunch of attention to detail everywhere, and like Bethesda games, it rewards exploration with treasure. Chances are, if you find a neat little niche somewhere, there will be a treasure chest or a collectible or a crafting ingredient nearby.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

The treasure chest you find will contain a green light armour shoulderpad in the worst style, a single lockpick and 11 gold.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

Kettlepip posted:

I've been having a crack at ESO super casually for a couple of weeks and am really enjoying it so far. I've no idea what's a good build or race / role combo or whatever. I'm just taking skills that sound fun or might have synergies, so I can mess around while questing and whatnot. Honestly, not giving a poo poo is quite liberating. One question I do have though is whether I can eventually get enough skill points to make playing more than one role viable (I don't mean optimal, just not entirely terrible). As a Nightblade, I've mostly been zipping around with daggers and a bow. But I quite fancy messing around with trying sword and board and resto staff to see if tanking with self heals would be possible, too. I'm kinda spoiled by FFXIV in that I love being able to fulfil all roles. Is that a thing in ESO or is it much better to concentrate, say, on a DPS role on one character then tank on another?

This is an interesting question.

You can basically do DPS and tank, or DPS and heals, on a single character for a very, very long time. Once you get up to midrange champion points (>300), your specialization will start to feel more solid. I can DPS just fine on my tanky lady with a quick gear change (you'll have two sets of armor and jewelry), but "just fine" makes things a little rough in, say, vWGT. I wouldn't take her as DPS into trials. So for months, you can happily do both. Once you start specializing, you can still do both, but you'll be better at one versus another.

Tanking with self-heals is possible and even preferred, to an extent. Scyantific has a sap tank (nightblade self-healing magicka-based tank) that's pretty amazing to see. I use a templar tank who is stamina-based, but can self heal with some of the healing skill line abilities (and vigor). When I tank for goons, we usually don't have a "healer" - it's just me, tanking and healing.

As for being able to do every role on one... I imagine it's possible, but difficult on your first character. Your champion points would be kind of all over the place once you hit 50. A magicka-based mostly-healer templar with a tank set could probably queue as every role, but you'd need some skill points to make that work (resto staff / 1H / dps set / ?).

The thing to remember is that groups have a HUGE variance. Absolutely, insanely huge. Running Elden Hollow with the Wrecking Crew (the best players in the guild on their best characters) is a massively different experience than running it with a low level PUG. Even though everyone is scaled to the "same level", the player skill, gear, enchantments, champion points, and skill points make a goddamn massive loving difference.

With a very bad group, I need a healer.
With a bad group, I only need heals on a boss.
With a middling group, I can self-heal the whole thing.
With a good group, I can DPS on trash pulls.
With the Wrecking Crew, I don't need to tank at all.

Play a thing you find fun with a race you find cool, IMO.

Edit: And that's the thing I love about this game, that there's no perfect build or single way to play. Dungeons go differently every time. I am never, ever, ever bored (board? :haw:) with tanking in this game.

Thursday Next fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jul 1, 2016

Bonapartisan
May 20, 2004

Emperor of France

MooCowlian posted:

The treasure chest you find will contain a green light armour shoulderpad in the worst style, a single lockpick and 11 gold.

You got a shoulderpad and some gold? LUCKY.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
One of my favorite little cave sites contains a corpse and a troll or maybe an ogre... I forget. There is a note by the corpse extolling the virtues of trolls (or ogres) and the limitless possibilities of trade. Granted these death notes are not uncommon, but I often enjoy them.

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø
Could I get an invite into that decon guild, @val'uum? They're clogging up my inventory.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Sogol posted:

One of my favorite little cave sites contains a corpse and a troll or maybe an ogre... I forget. There is a note by the corpse extolling the virtues of trolls (or ogres) and the limitless possibilities of trade. Granted these death notes are not uncommon, but I often enjoy them.

There's a great diary, alongside a half eaten skeleton, near a unique lioness mob which details how the owner sought to capture the creature...THROUGH ART.

His last entry is a hurried gently caress ARTISTS rant because the lioness has seen him. :v:

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Hey, I got this game a while back while it was on sale but I haven't gotten around to playing it until now. Sounds like I'm good to be pretty varied in how I set my character up, but I did just wanna ask if I would be loving myself over by using a two handed weapon as a Nightblade? It sounds like I won't be, but usually MMO's have some weird, obscure mechanics that could screw me over.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug
If I own the game both on console and PC, can I play the same character on either? Or is it platform specific character sets?

bradybunch
Jun 14, 2006

Platform specific unfortunately

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

ey invite @nox to the main guild

Bonapartisan
May 20, 2004

Emperor of France

LLJKSiLk posted:

@lljksilk

Looks like it took your account name this time. NO idea why it was saying it didn't exist before. BUT YOU DO NOW!

central
Dec 13, 2003
sup free
The crafting bag makes me want to pick up ESO Plus. Are there any good obscure deals out there for Plus bundled with some crowns or at a discounted rate or something? Just asking before I sub.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Man, how big is the guild now? Whole bunch of people seem to be joining every week.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

central posted:

The crafting bag makes me want to pick up ESO Plus. Are there any good obscure deals out there for Plus bundled with some crowns or at a discounted rate or something? Just asking before I sub.

Someone posted this one earlier. Two months, 3000 crowns, 63% off.

http://www.gamesdeal.com/the-elder-scrolls-online-tamriel-unlimited-60-days-eso-plus-membership-3000-crowns-pc.html

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø

valuum posted:

Could I get an invite into that decon guild, @val'uum? They're clogging up my inventory.
I'll be dumping the 280% bonus gear into Lusty argonians then, since it's almost empty after crafting bags. First come first served.

central
Dec 13, 2003
sup free

Has anyone else used this? Is it legit? Seems a little shady.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

central posted:

Not legit. They'll most likely deliver the product but they aren't an authorized reseller.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/2yhnsw/key_resellers_and_what_they_mean_for_you/ an explanation on reddit https://isthereanydeal.com/#/ reliable deals

central
Dec 13, 2003
sup free

Shy posted:

Not legit. They'll most likely deliver the product but they aren't an authorized reseller.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/2yhnsw/key_resellers_and_what_they_mean_for_you/ an explanation on reddit https://isthereanydeal.com/#/ reliable deals

Thanks, I figured as much. I'm also not really comfortable plugging all my personal info into that site (why do they need a phone #?).

Just gonna buy it through the ESO page.

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008
Should I play this game or should I play FFXIV? I just stopped playing a private wow server and I like raiding/dungeons/crafting and, to a degree, some PVP (I like large-scale stuff like battlegrounds/Wintergrasp more than 1v1/2v2/5v5).

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

central posted:

I used it, and presumably the guy who first mentioned it did as well. Worked fine for me.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

They're definitely shady. I got my key from them and it hasn't been cancelled yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if that happens to me sometime in the future.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Even if it works you are still giving your finance info to the Russian mafia.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I'm pretty sure I paid through paypal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah I used PayPal. No fuckin way I'm puttin in my card info directly into the site.

• Locked thread