Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

voltcatfish posted:

Also I was genuinely surprised Clover is not in this game, nor even mentioned. They remembered Lotus! but not Clover.

Probably the best in hindsight.

Clover being mentioned is also probably why Snake wasn't mentioned, which makes me sad. I know Clover went over his deal in VLR, but he was my favorite dude from 999 and it'd be nice to at least have his existence acknowledged.

Junpei teaming up with Seven to raid Free the Soul owned though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

dmboogie posted:

Clover being mentioned is also probably why Snake wasn't mentioned, which makes me sad. I know Clover went over his deal in VLR, but he was my favorite dude from 999 and it'd be nice to at least have his existence acknowledged.

Junpei teaming up with Seven to raid Free the Soul owned though.

Seven and Junpei buddy cop side game? I'd play it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

voltcatfish posted:

Thinking more about the ending I think the new characters blow

Carlos is alright after his shifting shenanigans but he's still pretty boring. Mira's boring, Eric's boring. Sean is OK.

Agreed, though I sympathize with Eric. I can't understand what the point of Sean was, thinking back on the game. Maybe I'm forgetting something.

meat on a Friday
Dec 9, 2010

I thought with all the talk about how that one snail caused so much trouble, you'd go back in time and kick it out of the way... but no.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

voltcatfish posted:

Oh geez I didn't realize Sean stayed behind for both Q and Gab, nor that Gab was chained to Q's chair

That makes a lot more sense than him staying for the dog. :stare:

Eastwood posted:

I thought with all the talk about how that one snail caused so much trouble, you'd go back in time and kick it out of the way... but no.

Clearly the snail is the terrorist that kills eight billion.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Eastwood posted:

I mean, first of all, doing that would wipe Phi out of existence entirely. Not only that, it would do nothing to affect the terrorist that wipes humanity out, while also getting rid of the versions of everyone who are probably the most qualified to deal with said terrorist.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Q Team > C Team > D Team

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

MrAristocrates posted:

The first time I got an "Input Q's name" prompt I actually did try "Maria"

I thought Sean was going to be a really short adult, honestly.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
as I mentioned in the thread, every time a new character's name got mentioned I immediately jumped back to 3-Way Shootout to try it in the input, so I too tried Maria. And Chris.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

alcharagia posted:

as I mentioned in the thread, every time a new character's name got mentioned I immediately jumped back to 3-Way Shootout to try it in the input, so I too tried Maria. And Chris.

I did this exact same thing.

I honestly should have guessed SOMETHING was up earlier when I put in "Sean" and only got an error. :v:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Getting the Perceptive End early was loving powerful

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

The thing I don't get is: did they toss out all the assumed poo poo about Brother/Free The Soul?

What happened to Free the Soul being created because he was disillusioned with humanity and his brother Left being murdered? Or him making clones of his brother, and trying to usher in a new race of humans with his teachings. Was it all bullshit?

meat on a Friday
Dec 9, 2010

dmboogie posted:

I mean, first of all, doing that would wipe Phi out of existence entirely. Not only that, it would do nothing to affect the terrorist that wipes humanity out, while also getting rid of the versions of everyone who are probably the most qualified to deal with said terrorist.

True, although the snail part is mentioned at the beginning/middle while everything regarding Phi's parents and having versions of everyone that must deal with the terrorist are not mentioned until the end. I thought the snail assassination would be the true end instead of what we got.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Just finished and...I feel underwhelmed? Like I genuinely enjoyed much of the game but like...really? What was that ending?

Without knowing better at the time, my first thought when Phi mentioned being a natural redhead was "She had better not be their loving spawn I swear to god"

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Poonerman posted:

Just finished and...I feel underwhelmed? Like I genuinely enjoyed much of the game but like...really? What was that ending?

You've been... Mind Hacked.

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

So I just finished the game and, uh, wow, that sure was a ride. I really feel like trying to type out my thoughts, so forgive me.

The first half or so was kind of disappointing. The whole thing with fragments and disconnects was cool, and the decision system really worked, but it was all basically just "how will Zero set this team up to die horribly this time?" that really didn't do much to hint at the overarching plot.
Once you get past that, the game was pretty exciting, because C Team just jumping through everywhere was cool, and D Team and the transporter resulted in some cool scenes.
Delta... heh.
The whole Phi thing was... a bit more underwhelming than it really feels like it should have been. Not sure if it's due to how it was presented or what.
The last portion was kind of weak, just like VLR's was, because it's just a long plotdump that kind of just cools down the excitement. The boxes were just kind of... there. I'll freely admit that I absolutely hated playing Minesweeper after the big rush of defusing the bombs, but I think ZTD actually could have used a big climactic final room.
Carlos was a pretty good focus character, since he's just a guy who wants to do good and help people, which is really refreshing.
Where was Kyle?

Overall, I think it was good. The opening was exciting, even if it seemed kind of pointless, and just breaking through all the plot locks at once was great.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

DL-6 will be released into the atmosphere, ensuring complete... global...saturationnn!

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I would've made something about Mind Hacking the thread title if it wouldn't be a spoiler in and of itself.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

alcharagia posted:

I would've made something about Mind Hacking the thread title if it wouldn't be a spoiler in and of itself.

Zero Time Dilemma Spoiler Thread: My poo poo posts are... complex.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Wait, y'know, I'm actually not sure. Is Akane in this game shortly-after-999 Akane who knew the future because of her loving... Akane-ness or whatever, or VLR Akane who hopped back in time with Sigma and Phi?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
She claimed during the game that she's shortly-after-999 Akane, and that she only had messages and visions from her future self.

Of course she's a habitual liar.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Yeah, I assumed she got the information from Grandma Akane like she did with Junpei at the end of 999.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Delta, thanks to the genetic switches being flipped in Diana from having so many goddamn mindjumpers and esper-superpowers around her, got the power to read minds and momentarily influence the actions of those around him.

Phi, his twin sister, could SHIFT. Just like every other character in this series. Woo. Sorta drew the short stick on the genes there.

Unless this means that Phi actually became the first SHIFTer and her appearing in 1904 is what caused humanity to adapt the ability to SHIFT.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I don't think I've seen this many strange sexual hangups from a single creator since I watched David Lynch's filmography.

devius
Mar 22, 2013

Terper posted:

Delta, thanks to the genetic switches being flipped in Diana from having so many goddamn mindjumpers and esper-superpowers around her, got the power to read minds and momentarily influence the actions of those around him.

Phi, his twin sister, could SHIFT. Just like every other character in this series. Woo. Sorta drew the short stick on the genes there.

Unless this means that Phi actually became the first SHIFTer and her appearing in 1904 is what caused humanity to adapt the ability to SHIFT.

I was kind of bummed out that Phi didn't prove herself to be important in the latter half of the game. In the first half she has some great banter with Sigma and she's also one of the first characters to refer to SHIFTing (or Jumping). In the end she was just there to serve as another SHIFTer. Even Carlos, the random new guy, had his cool journey across the timelines to play a pivotal role in setting up the VLR branch. I really liked Carlos, mind you, I just wish Phi would have gotten a similarly important role.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Team D sucks. You think a team of trained shifters should do something other than use alien technology/cause VLR/create the big bad.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

devius posted:

I was kind of bummed out that Phi didn't prove herself to be important in the latter half of the game. In the first half she has some great banter with Sigma and she's also one of the first characters to refer to SHIFTing (or Jumping). In the end she was just there to serve as another SHIFTer. Even Carlos, the random new guy, had his cool journey across the timelines to play a pivotal role in setting up the VLR branch. I really liked Carlos, mind you, I just wish Phi would have gotten a similarly important role.

I really wanted Phi to develop MIND HACKING right at the last second thanks to being around so many espers and foil Delta's bullshit somehow.

Then again I would have replaced Delta's "to get you fired up" speech at the end with some kind of villainous breakdown about them rejecting everything he told them about not just throwing lives away to make it better for themselves, and how many times he's watched himself die because of their actions, only for the crew to say that they couldn't abandon everything they learned and just let the world explode or die to Radical-6... and turn the final Decision around on Delta, giving them the chance to join up with Crash Keys and save the world, or not.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Also i think the acid shower is one of the most hosed up things I've seen in games

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
So what happened to Sigma's 22 year old mind in the successful timeline? Considering the whole reason it was displaced was to send it to the VLR future... which no longer exists. Did Sigma just permanently lose 45 years of his mental life?

Also just bringing back up this bit from VLR:

quote:

What about your father?

Don't have one.
I guess you could say I was a bastard.
I never saw his face, and I don't know his name.
I don't even know if he's alive.

O-Oh...

I couldn't think of anything else to say, so I just handed back the brooch.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Oh hey this thread exists. Okay.

I think the troublesome thing about the ending for me is that it seemed... loose, somehow. In 999, the ending explains the motivations behind the entire game quite well, while revealing the twist: Literally the entire game you've been half playing as child Akane trying to navigate the potentials of future timelines looking for one in which the possibility of her surviving to complete the loop exists. In the VLR, the ending is much the same: everything is revealed to be a scheme to awaken reality-jumping powers within two persons to enable them to prevent a calamity in the past.

In ZTD... we never really get a good explanation for why Delta was doing any of this, assuming his ultimate goal was CQD-END:2 all along as his final speech implies. Ensuring he himself is born is fine, but a minor point and is realized halfway through the game anyway, and Delta only has reason to ensure the VLR timeline happens if he absolutely needs Old Sigma in 2028 in order to do something... but that something never materializes. Instead we get an odd sort of... what, Delta did all this because he didn't think Crash Keys would believe him? The ending doesn't elucidate the motivations underlying the entire game the way 999 and VLR did.

ApplesandOranges posted:

So what happened to Sigma's 22 year old mind in the successful timeline?

Bumped into Old Sigma's body in one of the VLR timelines. He gets screwed just like everyone in CQD-END:1.

Add: I actually liked the Q-was-Delta-all-along reveal, because the game had been dropping some pretty strong hints that your idea of who "Q" is isn't actually correct all game. The fact that you never get his portrait in the status screen, the fact that the Crossbow decision doesn't accept "Sean" as Q's real name, the way no one ever seem to refer to Sean as "Q"... so in that sense, that is, there being a character you had not seen up to now but was actually there... that part worked for me.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jul 2, 2016

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

ApplesandOranges posted:

So what happened to Sigma's 22 year old mind in the successful timeline? Considering the whole reason it was displaced was to send it to the VLR future... which no longer exists. Did Sigma just permanently lose 45 years of his mental life?

Also just bringing back up this bit from VLR:

"This timeline still exists, even if they go back and fix it it won't change what's happened here in this history." or something along those lines at the end of VLR

You dicked over the fabled OTHER M (no not that one)

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Add: I actually liked the Q-was-Delta-all-along reveal, because the game had been dropping some pretty strong hints that your idea of who "Q" is isn't actually correct all game. The fact that you never get his portrait in the status screen, the fact that the Crossbow decision doesn't accept "Sean" as Q's real name, the way no one ever seem to refer to Sean as "Q"... so in that sense, that is, there being a character you had not seen up to now but was actually there... that part worked for me.

Except all the pre-release materials labeled Sean as Q.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Paul Zuvella posted:

I'm tempted to give this game to someone who has never played a Zero Escape game before and see what they think of the twist, without all the misdirection going on.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

The Crash Keys Twitter never revealed Q, either. I thought it was a nice touch looking back

https://twitter.com/_crash_keys_?lang=en

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Also this game makes the ending part of VLR where Akane goes "Welp I have no idea what happens in there" make absolutely no sense because she was loving neck deep in that bullshit in that timeline.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Paul Zuvella posted:

just like the pre-release OVA of VLR had young sigma participating in that Nonary game

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Exercu posted:

just like the pre-release OVA of VLR had young sigma participating in that Nonary game

I also think the Old Sigma twist is dumb as hell, but ZTD makes that game look smart as gently caress in comparison.

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

Paul Zuvella posted:

Also this game makes the ending part of VLR where Akane goes "Welp I have no idea what happens in there" make absolutely no sense because she was loving neck deep in that bullshit in that timeline.

Well, she has no idea how the infection actually happened. All she knows of that path is about stuff that happened after the escape.

Granted, just telling him about the Decision Game would probably have been a lot of help.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
So in Remember11, one of the main characters actually physically changes shape and looks completely different from how he's supposed to because you saw the dude design on the boxart and assumed that was him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Irisize posted:

Well, she has no idea how the infection actually happened. All she knows of that path is about stuff that happened after the escape.

Granted, just telling him about the Decision Game would probably have been a lot of help.

Why else would they freeze Phi other than knowing she was patient zero for Radical 6 and thus already had the disease? I find it hard to believe Akane the timelord does not know this, seeing as she knew to gas Sigma before the Mars test site to set everything in motion.

• Locked thread