Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I've seen birds decimate strawberry crops but I like birds and don't like strawberries and they were the fuckhole neighbour's strawberries anyway so have at it birds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Sheep-Goats posted:

I don't care about squirrels but if they ate my tomatoes (if I had tomatoes) I would kill them with pellets from an air rifle

I've never seen a squirrel eat a tomato

they ate a bunch of mine last week.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Sheep-Goats posted:

I've seen birds decimate strawberry crops but I like birds and don't like strawberries and they were the fuckhole neighbour's strawberries anyway so have at it birds

Birds are pretty cool, but some are huge assholes that need to be :commisar:'d for the sake of having a variety of birds around and not just one bully species

Strawberries are delicious tho

Y'all should mix hot pepper seeds in with your bird seed to remind those tree rats as to who has the brains and thumbs

Defiance
Jan 1, 2008

by Deplorable exmarx

Epic High Five posted:

Y'all should mix hot pepper seeds in with your bird seed to remind those tree rats as to who has the brains and thumbs

Yah that is just super great advice. I skipped the fence this year and just planted peps around the perimiter of my garden and the bunnies have left everything alone. Capsaicin is chem warfare against mammals.

And to contribute to the thread, I actually really like the pepper KOs. I ended up with an assortment of Bumblebee dines because they were on sale and just too much of a deal to pass up. I've never had anything but KO brisling dines and I'm a little nervous to dig into the Bumblebees.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
The squirrels destroy our strawberries every year

They eat more of them than I do

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Defiance posted:

Yah that is just super great advice. I skipped the fence this year and just planted peps around the perimiter of my garden and the bunnies have left everything alone. Capsaicin is chem warfare against mammals.

And to contribute to the thread, I actually really like the pepper KOs. I ended up with an assortment of Bumblebee dines because they were on sale and just too much of a deal to pass up. I've never had anything but KO brisling dines and I'm a little nervous to dig into the Bumblebees.

Even the bad deens are usually still pretty decent, just not top flight fishes

Some of the water packed cheap ones are legit bad though

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Defiance posted:

Grow some Fatalii chilis, you'll thank me later. It's like a habanero made twice as delicious

Also you're gonna wanna dress those Bumblebees up. I had a tin of those in water once.

Once.

Defiance
Jan 1, 2008

by Deplorable exmarx
Thanks for the tips guys, I really appreciate it. I picked up 3 each of soybean oil, hot sauce, and mustard packed. Hopefully they won't suck too bad, but they were 3/$1 so whatever I guess. It's a small town and I think I'm the only one eating them.

I appreciate the suggestion about the Fatalii peppers. I've never heard of them before. I'll have to pick up some seeds for next year, I have all of the gear to start them from seed in my (cold) climate since I used to grow a ton of weed. The thing I'm really excited about is my pickled Hungarian wax peppers, I stuff them with sauerkraut before I pickle them and they always go fast.

Oh and King of Bees needs to home smoke some more dines, that poo poo sounds amazing.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

smoke dines every day

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The Bumblebee in hot sauce are my go-to cheap dines for half-assed sandwiches. They are much better and more reliable than the Chicken of the Sea.

Defiance
Jan 1, 2008

by Deplorable exmarx
:hfive:

I am v glad to hear that

Ill Peripheral
Jun 29, 2008
Got into dines before this thread and then I started reading it to see why it's gold.

I'm big into the Brunswicks but really they're the only kind I ever see at the store. I'm a big fan of the jalapeno ones, and mustard of course, are they really pleb tier? What are some better ones that a Canadian can get at say a Metro, RCSS, Safeway, Zehr's, Sobeys?? Do you really have to order some of this poo poo on Amazon?

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

We moved to an apartment about a month ago, away from my parents who had a good bird feeder, and we missed feeding the mockingbirds raisins (they'd fly up to us, or even sit on the window sill and look in, and wouldn't be too skittish); we're on the second floor with a balcony and we have a couple of trees/a small field where the squirrels hang out. I love them :mad:

I put some of my sunflower seeds on the porch after seeing that one in the picture on the balcony earlier, and one of the three squirrels ate them while we were out. :3: I bought them more nuts.

I have a potted tomato plant (and basil, chives, mint and some succulents) on the balcony and they haven't hosed with them yet. I talked to my dad earlier and he said they're actually having a hard time with the chipmunks and my mom's flower garden. But I like all rodents!

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Ill Peripheral posted:

Got into dines before this thread and then I started reading it to see why it's gold.

I'm big into the Brunswicks but really they're the only kind I ever see at the store. I'm a big fan of the jalapeno ones, and mustard of course, are they really pleb tier? What are some better ones that a Canadian can get at say a Metro, RCSS, Safeway, Zehr's, Sobeys?? Do you really have to order some of this poo poo on Amazon?

If you like brunswicks, they're fine. I've seen Rigas at Provigo stores. If you keep an eye open, Pastene makes sardines too, with spicy oil varieties. They're usually the bigger sardines. I've seen them at Metro -their canned mackerels are also pretty nice.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
eating some of those trader joes harissa dines again. i like these theyre nice and spicy.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Ill Peripheral posted:

Look for Clover Leaf brislings! The Mediterranean flavour is awesome. they're the same fish as the KOs everybody talks about itt, and I've seen em at the local sobeys and superstore

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Christened the rice cooker with some bulk jasmine. Was fine rice at the end. Went nicely with the sweated onion/carrot/chopped roast tomato/sliced garlic topping and a few Crown Prince bristling broken up over top of it all. I normally hate gadgets in the kitchen but the rice cooker may earn its keep.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

My friend in high school gave me a spare rice cooker when she left (parents were moving bc of work) and I'm finally able to use it 6 years later lmao

it's good~

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I'm strongly anti-gadget when it comes to kitchens, but I don't count rice cookers as a gadget anymore because they're just too simple and perfect at what they do. Even at my most minimalist vagabond status, my slow cooker and rice cooker were always by my side

I originally had a Zoji and it was awesome, but I left it to my brothers when I moved out of their place and got myself a $30 Aroma from Target and it's been doing work for me ever since and is also awesome. I like the brown rice setting because I can use that one for lentils.

The Goodwill $2 ones with just one button are also awesome

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
OK before I get probed I got a dozen fresh dines. Gonna smoke a few marinated in olive oils, soy and a hot pepper sauce. After that they will go on top of a pepperoni pizza.Yep.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
God drat that sounds good as gently caress beeman take pics

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

thathonkey posted:

God drat that sounds good as gently caress beeman take pics

Will and try to post in my windows

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Holy poo poo soooo good. Marinated in olive oil, and hot sauce. Smoked over hickory. Served on a pepperoni pizza.

E. Forgot I already said that.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

https://youtu.be/Y_9QImcJmSg

Gon make some tomato rice to eat with sweated onion and 'dines. But feeling spinky and will toss a whole garlic clove I the rice, as well.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Butch Cassidy posted:

https://youtu.be/Y_9QImcJmSg

Gon make some tomato rice to eat with sweated onion and 'dines. But feeling spinky and will toss a whole garlic clove I the rice, as well.

Basically made this dish the other day with some mediteranian dines, except I added chopped up zuccini and cooked everything but the rice in a pan. It's pretty amazing.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Eating some Wild Planet dines for the first time. On Triscuits with sambal. I really like them. Good texture and slight smoky flavor. Would eat again. Remind me of Belas but 5 or 6 fish instead of 3 huge chucks.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Wild Planet 'dines are indeed good. I used them in my breakfast.

Cooking them over low heat while the kasha heats up.

Add eggs, watch as kasha comes to boil (15 minutes).

Top egg/sardine mix over finished kasha, eat with coffee.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Android Bicyclist posted:

Wild Planet 'dines are indeed good. I used them in my breakfast.

Cooking them over low heat while the kasha heats up.

Add eggs, watch as kasha comes to boil (15 minutes).

Top egg/sardine mix over finished kasha, eat with coffee.

That is one hevay-rear end-lookin' breakfast.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
It's my post-workout breakfast. Leg day makes one hungry.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Android Bicyclist posted:

It's my post-workout breakfast. Leg day makes one hungry.

Ah, please excuse my rudity

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Today's dadly score: two each Polar kippers/Pampa smoked herring fillets in oil/Cento anchovies/Pampa mackerel/Beach Cliff mustard 'dines, one K.O. jalapeņo, quarter pound of habanero, and a massive jar of dill pickles. Also found out Wally World stock Tiny Tots so I'll have to grab some next big grocery trip.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Wasa makes "thins" now.

I bought the sesame ones. They are very flavorful and still sturdy enough to hold some 'dines. I recommend getting some if you see them.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V
When I first started eating sardines I would find that my local target was often running dangerously low on KO. But after several months of my tin a day habit their replenishment system has compensated and now they are always well stocked.

Basically I'm a job creator.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Mr. Belding posted:

When I first started eating sardines I would find that my local target was often running dangerously low on KO. But after several months of my tin a day habit their replenishment system has compensated and now they are always well stocked.

Basically I'm a job creator.

this thread is probably responsible for a global bump in sardine purchases

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
We made a delicious shallot / Brunswick herring butter last night with a quick fennel / orange rind pickle along with it. Her idea, she's a kipper.

Dine that poo poo up on the 4th yall

Planet X fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jul 2, 2016

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
oh god :rip:

There was a crushed can of sardines in the supermarket and it spilled all over me.

I can't get the smell out. I want to barf. Lord only knows how long it was sitting there like that since I'm the only person in the world who ever buys them.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Renegret posted:

oh god :rip:

There was a crushed can of sardines in the supermarket and it spilled all over me.

I can't get the smell out. I want to barf. Lord only knows how long it was sitting there like that since I'm the only person in the world who ever buys them.

Heat dissolves oils. Take a very hot shower or near scalding bath. Soak your clothes in hot water, not my fault if they shrink though.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I have no clue but vinegar? Vinegar seems to solve most of my recurrent problems which may or may not stem from the fact that I live in the hard water capital of the universe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
My hands took the brunt of the scent and I eventually got the stink out with enough hand washing that now my eczema is now acting up from my dried out skin.

Eczema: The dadliest skin condition? At least that I can handle.

Still, I'm going to smell that stench in my nightmares. When I told one of the people who works there, the guy immediately turned to his subordinate and told him to have fun.