Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Nate RFB posted:

I actually don't mind the first anime and even have a decent amount of nostalgia for it, especially the music. It was more than acceptable if you considered it an advertisement to go out and read the manga afterwards.
Definitely. I thought the original anime did several important scenes extremely well.

For example, Zodd's introduction and his subsequent battle with Guts and Griffith was awesome. Everything was on point. The atmosphere, the music, the tension and suspense, the incredible voice acting (freakin' Kenji Utsumi!!!), the hopelessness, and the gore. It felt very much like what the author intended. Similarly, the battle between Guts and Commander Boscogn (from the Purple Rhino Knights) was about as good as it could be.

But the show also had a lot of success with more subtle scenes, like when Guts and Casca sat above the Hawks camp and talked about how the landscape of soldiers looked like a "bonfire of dreams."

Edited just for LordMune... :)

Jedah fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jul 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
I will end you

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Griffisu.

I wish this anime had premiered on April 1st instead so I could pretend it was all an elaborate practical joke.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Kiaska, Casca's white cousin.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It wasn't.....very good.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
He'll always be Gatts to me

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
Like, Gatts is fine. It misses the intent of a gutsy dude who was born in a tangle of guts, but it's a logical romanization. "Gatsu" completely ignores the glottal stop in the original Japanese name and is basically a misreading/misspelling. Might as well call his sidekick Park the elf and his nemesis Griferz. I'm not even sorry for sperging out about this.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

LordMune posted:

I'm not even sorry for sperging out about this.

Me neither, but Park the elf is a solid name. Like if generic D&D became maximum generic with "strong the mighty barbarian and his sidekick music the the bard"

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

LordMune posted:

Like, Gatts is fine. It misses the intent of a gutsy dude who was born in a tangle of guts, but it's a logical romanization. "Gatsu" completely ignores the glottal stop in the original Japanese name and is basically a misreading/misspelling. Might as well call his sidekick Park the elf and his nemesis Griferz. I'm not even sorry for sperging out about this.

In the previous age when I was first reading Berserk for awhile Casca was "Kjaskar."

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
actually, is there anything good about this first episode? i seriously cannot think of anything nice to say about this episode.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Serious Frolicking posted:

actually, is there anything good about this first episode? i seriously cannot think of anything nice to say about this episode.

Hai Yo in the next episode preview is fuckin' beautiful and there are very short moments where the art is a good representation of what Berserk should be. Like a grand total of 10 or so seconds worth.

e:
Like this Gattusu looks a lot like Berserk should, which is kind of expected when he's just resting, doing nothing on a slow pan of his face.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jul 2, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The music was good when it wasn't cutting out constantly and the action scene direction would have been okay if the CGI didn't look like rear end

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Endorph posted:

just go to san fran and write the sentence 'gender is a social construct' onto a napkin, rip it into pieces, and toss it into the summer breeze. in 3 days a traveling white dude with a beret and a ginger neckbeard will arrive at your door. he is your friend, and will lead you into the world of games journalism.

I'm not really sure he's your friend...

Nebakenezzer posted:

In the previous age when I was first reading Berserk for awhile Casca was "Kjaskar."

I still remember when Isidro and Schierke's names couldn't be agreed upon

The 2D animation, when it was there, was very pretty. It makes you wish that it was like that through the entire episode...

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Some of the scenes, like the lake of blood and Gut's nightmare, were very evocative and well-done.

Voice-acting and music is on-point.

The hand-drawn scraps are gorgeous and with more of them the show would exponentially improve. They have a very clear avenue to success if they just take it.

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite

mabels big day posted:

the new anime is different from the manga so i hate it.
the new anime is loving terrible unlike the manga so i hate it

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Franz von Dada posted:

the new anime is loving terrible unlike the manga so i hate it

I just want to point out i didn't say that mocking anyone hating on the anime, that's sincerely why I hate the anime too. It should follow the manga exactly instead of skipping stuff and changing the order of things.

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite
Guess I've gotten too used to those kinds of smug comments I didn't realize it was genuine.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I wouldn't mind if a Berserk anime didn't have the same amount of detail as the manga, as long as it was animated reasonably well. It seems like anime directors look at Miura's art and think they have to try to match up to that exactly, so we get this CG garbage or shows that are barely animated. Having a billion tiny crosshatched feathers or blood drops or locks of hair is nice for two page spreads, but it really isn't necessary in an anime.

Honestly something more stylized along the lines of Gurren Lagann or Space Dandy would be perfect. What really matters is the sense of speed and impact with the dragon slayer, and that's almost completely lost with CG.

Also obviously don't cut any of the plot :v:

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I didn't hate it. It was a bit rough but I kinda expected that from the first episode because what they want to do is adapt the Conviction arc and this was just about getting Guts to meet Puck, have Isidoro start following him, etc.

I'm hoping they adapt the last section with Godo where he repairs Gut's sword. That's a really great section which has some awesome characterization and conversations.

Also from looking at episode titles, they might wind up finishing the conviction arc in 13 episodes, meaning the rest of the anime will be Millenium Falcon. It'd be interesting if Schierke actually makes it into the show. Or they could end this season with Farnese and Serpico joining Guts.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Ccs posted:

I'm hoping they adapt the last section with Godo where he repairs Gut's sword. That's a really great section which has some awesome characterization and conversations.

That entire conversation with (a dying) Godo is so good and goes a long way to point out to Guts that a lot of his anger for Casca's disappearance should fall squarely on his own anger and inner demons and it's such a good scene that I'm sure it will be replaced by something more fitting like ballroom dancing or characters throwing flag poles.

And I'm still puzzled by Godo's complete exclusion from the films and no real establishment of how Guts properly become the Black Swordsman, for someone just following the movies and moving into the anime dude just ends up with dope looking armor and a crazy sword out of nowhere.

I just want to see Rickert make some cool poo poo and get some time to shine

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

The berserk dream cast game that came out 17 years ago literally has smoother and more natural animations.

[E] I really liked the intro and the main characters models (when they weren't moving)

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jul 3, 2016

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Seems like they got all the important stuff right!

http://i.imgur.com/HSEZUMf.mp4
https://zippy.gfycat.com/EmotionalScaredHartebeest.webm
A+++ can't wait for more grrrreat Berserk animations!

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

The edge of the early parts of the series seems smoothed out, to make it more palatable for a general audience. I'm fine by that. so why is cascas rape in the opening

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Of all the times to use CG, why the chibi Puck scenes? Just use freakin drawings for that. Yeesh.

I'm still not gonna be too picky though. That animation on puck in the background isn't good but he's not the main focus of the shot, it's not terrible.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Well the first one I just thought was cute.
I guess CGI is cheaper even than just drawing that fat chestnut. Or maybe the drawn version looked weird next to CGI Guts eating lunch. The world may never know.

e: I stopped reading the manga back when they briefly got off the boat and there was a giant black sea monster with a big toothy mouth. Maybe I'll reread and catch up since I heard they got off the boat for real since then.

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jul 3, 2016

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I wish we could get a good new Berserk anime. I wish they'd do it without CGI also. Yes I know anime can have good CG, but Berserk has kind of run out my goodwill to the idea, at least for this series in specific.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
loving Ushio & Tora (which I like, btw) can come out of nowhere and have a great looking and well animated TV series, but Berserk is stuck in this garbage hell. Seriously, why did this studio get Berserk and not...like anyone else like Madhouse or MAPPA?

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
The impression I get is that the berserk IP holders sell it off to whoever is willing to pay a large price or percentage of profits and the adapters try to cut their costs as much as possible to make their profit. The actual quality of the adaptation doesn't matter because berserk already has a built in audience and brand recognition. I think this what happens to other properties as well (like why warhammer 40k adaptations suck). Newer, younger properties have to pony up more investment in making a property successful, so the cut ways heavier for the adapters than the property holder, since the adapters are forced to build the brand in their work while the main property benefits on the back-end with new fans. So, I guess this is as good as berserk will get unless it moves into an new market (like a major western push) or the brand starts to loose steam.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I will not be watching the new Berserk anime.

Instead I will reread the manga while listening to the OST for the original adaptation.

bondster
May 6, 2007

http://youtu.be/go2FYOhipiE

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Alejandro Sanchez posted:

The edge of the early parts of the series seems smoothed out, to make it more palatable for a general audience. I'm fine by that. so why is cascas rape in the opening
Yeah I dunno but I give up saying anything about that stuff, any discussion of it feels lose/lose

I'm a glutton for punishment: rewatching the first episode didn't make it any better; if anything, I got more motion sick this time around. Bleh. I'll just stick with re-reading for now and let a few episodes stack up before I try watching again.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Zaphod42 posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repeating_crossbow "the Zhuge Liang crossbow" aka Chu-ko-nu is totally real and a major historic weapon in China, and shoots like a normal crossbow. He could feasibly shoot it with his stump/iron hand, he shoots it pretty drat fast in some scenes but it isn't all that unrealistic, that page says soldiers could shoot 10 bolts in 15 seconds.

If the problem is power, you can just make it from a stronger draw design. Guts immense strength makes that feasible. He also mostly uses it at VERY close range.

I thought the animation in the golden age movies was pretty bad but still enjoyed them immensely. Its loving Berserk, and we're finally getting something that covers the later arcs. I'll take it :shrug:

its totally real, but its darts get stopped by cloth. the repeating mechanism puts serious limits on its draw weight, there's a reason it was mostly used in prepared defences, and armies preferred to use regular crossbows

this show is not supposed to be realistic

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Are you trying to tell me that the odic force isn't real? :ohdear:

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Sweet! He's making videos again. That's one positive for the new anime.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Wow that was terrible

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Navigated from this guy's channel to this video and I can now say there being a new Berserk anime is worth it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YzHTt2Pns4

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
it's all worth it for the new hirasawa track alone. hai yo is the definitive berserk theme song from the 30 seconds they've played so far

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Woebin posted:

Griffisu.

I wish this anime had premiered on April 1st instead so I could pretend it was all an elaborate practical joke.

Guriffitss!

Postal Parcel posted:

I still remember when Isidro and Schierke's names couldn't be agreed upon

How do you pronounce Schierke? Is it Schierk or Schierk-eh? Or Schier-key?

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jul 4, 2016

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Still reading the manga, and I think they'rr finally about to get on the boat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if you are reading it all at once and not spread out over years the boat arc is real good